Media Streaming With iPad Control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mborner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm trying to do something seemingly simple, yet difficult to implement.
The basics:

1. I want to rip all of my DVD's, CD's, and Blurays, to NAS.

2. I want to be able to access all of that media on my iPad with album art, etc.

3. I want it all streamed to my HT receiver while maintaining complete control on the iPad.

Seems simple enough. Basically, AppleTV, with matching "remote" app will do exactly what I want with one small problem; I need analog audio for Zone 2. This can't be that difficult. Nobody has a solution for this?
mborner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 71
For just movies you can do Dune + My Movies (although My Movies may not work with your NAS):

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...vies-ipad-app/

Another option would be to get a Popcorn Hour C200/A210. There are plenty of iPxx apps available that will allow you to control your media for playback on the PCH

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #3 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Apple TV will not do what you want... I agree the best method is Dune with my movies and my movies ipad app
mlknez is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What is 'Zone 2' ?
mayhem13 is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mborner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
For just movies you can do Dune + My Movies (although My Movies may not work with your NAS):

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...vies-ipad-app/

Another option would be to get a Popcorn Hour C200/A210. There are plenty of iPxx apps available that will allow you to control your media for playback on the PCH
Thanks for the input. I looked at Popcorn Hour and it looked good but I couldn't find a decent app for it. I found one but it looked like a half attempt at a lukewarm offering. Could you please give more details on the other apps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Apple TV will not do what you want... I agree the best method is Dune with my movies and my movies ipad app
Thanks mlknez. I'm going to do more research on this. I was going to get AppleTV until I found out it didn't have analog audio. It looked like it would do everything I needed from the demos on Apple.com.
mborner is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mborner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
What is 'Zone 2' ?
I use my Denon's zone 2 feature to listen to music out on my pool deck. The receiver will not play digital signals through zone 2. To my knowledge, all receivers are this way.
mborner is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner
Thanks for the input. I looked at Popcorn Hour and it looked good but I couldn't find a decent app for it. I found one but it looked like a half attempt at a lukewarm offering. Could you please give more details on the other apps?

Thanks mlknez. I'm going to do more research on this. I was going to get AppleTV until I found out it didn't have analog audio. It looked like it would do everything I needed from the demos on Apple.com.
Apple tv will also not handle full blu ray rips nor do hi res audio
mlknez is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner

I use my Denon's zone 2 feature to listen to music out on my pool deck. The receiver will not play digital signals through zone 2. To my knowledge, all receivers are this way.
True but many streamers do simultaneous digital and analog out.
mlknez is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mborner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
True but many streamers do simultaneous digital and analog out.
Still looking for one that has both, as well as a great iPad app with full 2-way control.
mborner is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

Still looking for one that has both, as well as a great iPad app with full 2-way control.

Dune with my movies
mlknez is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post


Still looking for one that has both, as well as a great iPad app with full 2-way control.

What do you mean by full 2-way control?
For the PCH there is quite a nice iPad remote called NMT Remote.
Philip
pmcd is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

I use my Denon's zone 2 feature to listen to music out on my pool deck. The receiver will not play digital signals through zone 2. To my knowledge, all receivers are this way.

You'd need an additional Airport express for that that does 2ch analog audio. That's what i use for my outdoor system and garage system. Really cool passing around the iPad outside to cue up some music at parties or in the garage while i'm working. At $198 for both the ATV and Airport, still seems like the best option to work with iPad......well the most stable and operable option anyways.

On another note, the ATV2 does do dual outputs via HDMI and optical so you COULD get a cheap 2channel AVR with optical input for the pool system, which aleviates having to use the Denon. One with dual speaker zones such as A/B frees up another zone possibiliy for you. It's all in the expandability and these things have a way of GROWING.
mayhem13 is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
A Toslink-to-analog converter seems to be dirt cheap, and would let you use an AppleTV, which is likely to be the best solution for use with iOS by far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4WPXA
darklordjames is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mborner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Dune with my movies

I will definitely look into this, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

What do you mean by full 2-way control?
For the PCH there is quite a nice iPad remote called NMT Remote.
Philip

2-way control means that I'm able to see my media library in real time on the iPad as it's happening. IOW, I can look at the iPad and see how much time is left on a song that's playing even though I'm listening to it on my HT receiver.
I will look into NMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

You'd need an additional Airport express for that that does 2ch analog audio. That's what i use for my outdoor system and garage system. Really cool passing around the iPad outside to cue up some music at parties or in the garage while i'm working. At $198 for both the ATV and Airport, still seems like the best option to work with iPad......well the most stable and operable option anyways.

On another note, the ATV2 does do dual outputs via HDMI and optical so you COULD get a cheap 2channel AVR with optical input for the pool system, which aleviates having to use the Denon. One with dual speaker zones such as A/B frees up another zone possibiliy for you. It's all in the expandability and these things have a way of GROWING.

I'll do some more research on the Airport Express, Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

A Toslink-to-analog converter seems to be dirt cheap, and would let you use an AppleTV, which is likely to be the best solution for use with iOS by far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4WPXA

This would definitely work.....for zone 2 only. I'd be throwing away the DD 5.1 capability of AppleTV which is not going to happen. I need DD for movies.
mborner is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
So HDMI audio for DD5.1, optical>analog for stereo. From what Mayhem said earlier, it will spit out both at the same time. Or, if your receiver doesn't do HDMI, then toss a Toslink splitter in there. Optical runs to the receiver, and analog runs to the receiver, off of the same source, to your Zoen 2 input. DD5.1 for movies and digital stereo for Zone 1, analog (but no DVD) for Zone 2.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002344GG

Get creative, man! Less sarcastic replies. More thinking outside of the box.
darklordjames is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

This would definitely work.....for zone 2 only. I'd be throwing away the DD 5.1 capability of AppleTV which is not going to happen. I need DD for movies.

AAC passthrough (digital x.1) still remains on HDMI on main zone.
mayhem13 is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mborner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

So HDMI audio for DD5.1, optical>analog for stereo. From what Mayhem said earlier, it will spit out both at the same time. Or, if your receiver doesn't do HDMI, then toss a Toslink splitter in there. Optical runs to the receiver, and analog runs to the receiver, off of the same source, to your Zoen 2 input. DD5.1 for movies and digital stereo for Zone 1, analog (but no DVD) for Zone 2.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002344GG

Get creative, man! Less sarcastic replies. More thinking outside of the box.

Wow, I didn't even realize they made optical splitters. This might be an option as my receiver doesn't have HDMI.
mborner is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames
A Toslink-to-analog converter seems to be dirt cheap, and would let you use an AppleTV, which is likely to be the best solution for use with iOS by far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4WPXA
I use a Monoprice Toslink to analog converter for my Onkyo 1007 from my Apple TV2 for zone 2. HDMI for zone 1 and the analog for 2. Works perfectly.
badgerpilot is online now  
post #19 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=mborner;20749953 This might be an option as my receiver doesn't have HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Aaaaaaah...don't remember you mentioning that before.

Might be time for a new AVR with digital zone 2 in ( they make em now!)

I guess you're gonna run the HDMI from the ATV directly to the display yes?
mayhem13 is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Member
 
bmitchin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote="mayhem13"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner;20749953 This might be an option as my receiver doesn't have HDMI.[/QUOTE View Post


Aaaaaaah...don't remember you mentioning that before.

Might be time for a new AVR with digital zone 2 in ( they make em now!)

I guess you're gonna run the HDMI from the ATV directly to the display yes?

Can you provide a few options for AVRs with digital zone 2 support.
bmitchin is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Member
 
bmitchin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post


I use a Monoprice Toslink to analog converter for my Onkyo 1007 from my Apple TV2 for zone 2. HDMI for zone 1 and the analog for 2. Works perfectly.

Does the hdmi and TOS output at the same time or do you need to switch it?
bmitchin is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchin View Post


Does the hdmi and TOS output at the same time or do you need to switch it?

They output at the same time. I listen in zone 1 via HDMI and simultaneously listen to zone 2 outside. No switching. I mainly listen to Internet radio stations on the ATV2 and it is on in the house and out by the pool with everything controlled via the iPad.
badgerpilot is online now  
post #23 of 24 Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Member
 
bmitchin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post


They output at the same time. I listen in zone 1 via HDMI and simultaneously listen to zone 2 outside. No switching. I mainly listen to Internet radio stations on the ATV2 and it is on in the house and out by the pool with everything controlled via the iPad.

You just made me sooooooo happy! I thought I was going to have to go back to the drawing board on a system I have been saving up for almost 2 years and am finally going to get next week. This thread was really bumming me out but instead helped me avoid a huge disappointment and buyers remorse.

THANKS ALL!
bmitchin is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 07-30-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
badgerpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bedford, Texas
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchin View Post


You just made me sooooooo happy! I thought I was going to have to go back to the drawing board on a system I have been saving up for almost 2 years and am finally going to get next week. This thread was really bumming me out but instead helped me avoid a huge disappointment and buyers remorse.

THANKS ALL!

Glad to hear! Enjoy your new system!
badgerpilot is online now  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off