post #31 of 39 Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

I dont own a tvix but from review of their specs. Here's some big differences to me. Don't know if they are true.

1. no BD ISO support even light?
2. No lossless audio decode to PCM
3. No loessless audio bit stream.
4. advanced interactive (Flash) jukebox like YAMJ with eversion
5. Does it fully support MKV
a. lossless audio in MKV
b. full subtitle support
c. forced subtitle support
d. chapter support ( I dont think even dune does all these PCH does).
6. option of RF and IR Remote
7. Fanless
8. proper REC709 colorspace support (FINALLY!)

How does the TVIX score on the HQV benchmark?

1. Yes, it supports BD-ISO with BD-Lite
2. Don't know about LPCM though the Realtek 1283DD model did have a hack for that.
3. Yes, it bit streams HD-Audio
4. No, it does not have Flash UI
5. I don't personally use many MKVs so I can't claim fully. There is a review on Anandtech that has more info on it's MKV capability.
6. No, didn't see the need for RF remote. But it does offer WebRemote on any phone using a browser.
7. No, but the fan is virtually silent, a feature that has been noted by many users.
8. Never knew that was an issue. It does offer perfect 23.987Hz playback.

Again, I believe HQV test was one used on the Anadtech reveiw, not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and TViX is the only media player that offers a Dual TV tuner model that lets you record OTA channel or two, while you're watching movies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 39 Old 09-03-2011, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

1. Yes, it supports BD-ISO with BD-Lite
2. Don't know about LPCM though the Realtek 1283DD model did have a hack for that.
3. Yes, it bit streams HD-Audio
4. No, it does not have Flash UI
5. I don't personally use many MKVs so I can't claim fully. There is a review on Anandtech that has more info on it's MKV capability.
6. No, didn't see the need for RF remote. But it does offer WebRemote on any phone using a browser.
7. No, but the fan is virtually silent, a feature that has been noted by many users.
8. Never knew that was an issue. It does offer perfect 23.987Hz playback.

Again, I believe HQV test was one used on the Anadtech reveiw, not sure.

Cool I read the anandtech review. interesting box. I have lots of friends always asking about OTA DVR's. What does the TVIX use for guide data in the USA? the price is attractive.

Whats this BS about not supporting DTS-HD except with a hack? thats very sneaky way around paying for licensing fee's.
post #34 of 39 Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool I read the anandtech review. interesting box. I have lots of friends always asking about OTA DVR's. What does the TVIX use for guide data in the USA? the price is attractive.

Whats this BS about not supporting DTS-HD except with a hack? thats very sneaky way around paying for licensing fee's.

The TViX M6620N is strictly an OTA tuner that does not rely on external guide, so it uses the embedded PSIP. Which means the guide is not going to meet some people's requirements, but there are no fees involved. You can use the grid it puts up to schedule a recording, or you can invoke the scheduing and choose once, weekly, etc. Up front, the limitation on this tuner is the inability to display closed captioning.

As for the BS, as you probably know, the first 1283DD chip released by Realtek did allow a way to play HD-Audio, though they insinuated to the manufacters of the boxes that it may in the future. Because the chip could not support HD-Audio bitstreaming, a hack was designed for the TViX to output the audio using LPCM. That was, of course, fixed in the follow up chip, the Realtek 1283DD+. All of the newer TViX M series, as well as all released TViX Slim S1 units support HD-Audio.

post #35 of 39 Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The TViX M6620N is strictly an OTA tuner that does not rely on external guide, so it uses the embedded PSIP. Which means the guide is not going to meet some people's requirements, but there are no fees involved. You can use the grid it puts up to schedule a recording, or you can invoke the scheduing and choose once, weekly, etc. Up front, the limitation on this tuner is the inability to display closed captioning.

As for the BS, as you probably know, the first 1283DD chip released by Realtek did allow a way to play HD-Audio, though they insinuated to the manufacters of the boxes that it may in the future. Because the chip could not support HD-Audio bitstreaming, a hack was designed for the TViX to output the audio using LPCM. That was, of course, fixed in the follow up chip, the Realtek 1283DD+. All of the newer TViX M series, as well as all released TViX Slim S1 units support HD-Audio.

so your saying it was a hardware bug fix? confused?

If I buy a new one today from digital connection will DTS-HD MA bit stream out of the box with no hacks.

NOTE: TVIX web page specs still says it wont. but websites are often out of date.

please clarify.
post #36 of 39 Old 09-04-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I'm not sure if it is hardware of SDK/firmware releated but I'm guessing hardware since they had to release a new version. The story is a little murky on what went on at Realtek.

TrueHD is supported out of the box, but you are correct that DTS-HD MA is still a hack for Realtek players.

post #37 of 39 Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, I'm not sure if it is hardware of SDK/firmware releated but I'm guessing hardware since they had to release a new version. The story is a little murky on what went on at Realtek.

TrueHD is supported out of the box, but you are correct that DTS-HD MA is still a hack for Realtek players.

OK so they are cheap and unwilling to pay licensing fees. thats a shame.

Sean
post #38 of 39 Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
OK so they are cheap and unwilling to pay licensing fees. thats a shame.
That could be the case, but I'm not so sure.

The Xtreamer had a similar problem. Realtek sold the chip claiming full HD audio support, but later admitted that they could not get it to work due to a problem in silicon. They subsequently released an updated chip, but early customers were left without.

The problem for TViX may be that they have too many of the old units in the field to add support now. What do you say to customers who can't get new HD-audio firmware to work? You can't exactly say "maybe" on the published specifications.

So it is left to those customers that can verify that they have the updated chip to enable it themselves.
post #39 of 39 Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post
That could be the case, but I'm not so sure.

The Xtreamer had a similar problem. Realtek sold the chip claiming full HD audio support, but later admitted that they could not get it to work due to a problem in silicon. They subsequently released an updated chip, but early customers were left without.

The problem for TViX may be that they have too many of the old units in the field to add support now. What do you say to customers who can't get new HD-audio firmware to work? You can't exactly say "maybe" on the published specifications.

So it is left to those customers that can verify that they have the updated chip to enable it themselves.
There shouldn't have been anything to "fix" per se if the manufacturers using the older Realtek chips were up front, which caused nightmare complaints at Xtreamer. TViX was never advertised with promise of HD-Audio on the first chip, though that didn't stop them from wasting enormous amounts of engineering time trying to correct and add it.

When the new model was released, it was marked specifically as the "Plus" model which does support TrueHD, but the questions to licensing of bitstreaming DTS-HD MA still remains unresolved.

But as it often happens in the industry, the best you can do is provide a soltion even if you can't promote it, and at least that is available on the TViX. The M6620N is approaching the second year on the market, and never has been a big issue since HD-Audio is irrelevant on OTA/QAM recording. This issue too will pass as quickly as the next generation chip models come to market.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page