AppleTV2 - Jailbroken, XBMC and IP Camera Integration - Solved - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After searching the bowels of the inter-webs I didn't come up with a good solution of viewing an IP camera on a TV. Ultimately my vision was to have an IP camera in my babies room which allows me to view the stream anywhere in the world using a browser or a phone/tablet application. But not only that, I wanted to stream the camera to the different TV's in my house so I can see her while I slept, on the toilet etc. There were several ways I could have gone but ultimately I think I found the best and most cost effective way of solutioning my use case.

My solution includes an AppleTV2, jailbroken and installed with XBMC. A playlist created that points towards the camera's stream and then displays on any HDMI compatible display device. The camera I have been using to test is a Foscom clone that only has one stream that is motion-jpeg in an .asf container (I will be purchasing a better megapixel IP camera shortly).

Not only can I view my IP camera on my TV but I get a very nice hardware streaming device that can stream pretty much any content on my network all for under $100 (not including the camera).

I have documented the installation and integration steps in a google document but will also put it in this post for longevity: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

ATV2 - Jailbreak, XBMC and IP Camera
  1. Unbox ATV2 and plug in to power/display
  2. Follow directions to jailbreak at the following URL (documented below for reference): http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605
  3. Follow direction to install XBMC at the following URL (documented below for reference): http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...l_XBMC_on_ATV2
  4. Add media sources
  5. Optional - Create IP Camera playlist
  6. Optional - Create USB Webcam Stream and playlist

Download Links
Seas0nPass for Mac [10.6 or later]
Seas0nPass for Windows [XP or later]
Troubleshooting tips

Pre-launch checklist
  • Latest version of iTunes.
  • Latest version of Seas0nPass (use links above).
  • A micro USB cable.
  • Disconnect any iPods, iPhones, and iPads from your computer.

Using Seas0nPass to jailbreak the AppleTV
  1. Unzip the 'Seas0nPass.zip' file and launch Seas0nPass.
  2. Select the 'Create IPSW' button to start the jailbreak process.
  3. The latest AppleTV software will be downloaded and used to create a custom 'jailbroken' software file.
  4. When prompted, remove power cord from AppleTV and connect your AppleTV using a micro-USB cable (leave power disconnected), and hold both the 'MENU' and 'PLAY/PAUSE' buttons for 7 seven seconds.
  5. iTunes will open automatically and start the restore process.
  6. iTunes will confirm the restore when complete - your AppleTV is now jailbroken!

You will now see the Seas0nPass menu after connecting the AppleTV to your TV. (Note: An option to hide this menu is available when clicking 'More Info')

Install XBMC on a jailbroken AppleTV
Code:
$ ssh root@
root@'s password: ''enter your password here, it should be "alpine" if you haven't changed it''

Code:
$ apt-get install wget
$ wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -
$ echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
$ echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
After XBMC is successfully installed, frontrow(ATV2 home screen) will restart and you will see XBMC in it.

Issue one more command to fix an XBMC bug which constantly restarts XBMC when ATV2 tries to contact the Apple update servers.
Code:
$ echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
Add Media Sources
All of my media is on a NAS.
  1. To add a NAS video share open XBMC and click Videos > Files > Add Videos'
  2. Right arrow' and select browse'
  3. In my case I select Windows network (SMB)' which takes a few seconds to enumerate all the nodes on your network.
  4. Select your workgroup name
  5. Select the node that is sharing the media
  6. Drill down to the folder level you want to add. In my case I have movies and TV in separate folders and wanted to add them individually.
  7. Use the left' arrow to go down and click ok'.
  8. Leave the media source name the default or change it and click ok'
    XBMC will now scan the media source and download any content (thumbnails, descriptions) it can find.
Optional - View IP Camera on TV via ATV2/XBMC
First you need to reference the manufactures documentation to find at which URL you can access your camera's video stream.

My Foscom clone video stream is located at:
Code:
http://:8080/videostream.asf?user=&pwd=
*Modify the URL to match your camera's URL, username and password
  1. Create a playlist file - ipcam.pls
  2. Add the following code to the playlist file:
    Code:
    [playlist]
    NumberOfEntries=1
    File1=http://:8080/videostream.asf?user=&pwd=
    Title1=IP Camera
    Length1=-1
    Version=2

3. FTP the playlist to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/playlists/video'
  4. Now in XBMC, go to Videos', select Library Mode'
  5. Browse to Playlists' and find your ipcam playlist
  6. Highlight your ipcam playlist, click and hold the menu button on the remote and select Add to Favorites'
  7. Done, you can now view your IP camera from xbmc!
Optional - View USB Webcam on TV via ATV2/XBMC
  1. Download VLC
  2. Open VLC and go to Media > Open Capture Device'
  3. Select the video and audio devices from the device selection drop-down menus.
  4. Click the down arrow next to the Play' button and select Stream'
  5. Leave the default source and click next'
  6. Select MS-WMSP (MMSH)' from the destination drop-down list and click Add'
  7. Leave the address the default 0.0.0.0' and type in a port where you want the stream to run. (ie. 1234)
  8. Select the check box to Activate Transcoding' and select the Video - DIV3 + MP3 (ASF)' profile.
    *Note - You may have to change the codec/container profile depending on your webcam
  9. Click Stream'.

The IP of the stream will be the PC where VLC is located and the port you specified while creating the stream.
    Code:
    mms://:1234

*Modify the URL to match your stream's URL
  10. Create a playlist file - webcam.pls
  11. Add the following code to the playlist file:

Code:
    [playlist]
    NumberOfEntries=1
    File1=mms://:1234
    Title1=Webcam
    Length1=-1
    Version=2

12. FTP the playlist to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/playlists/video'
  13. Now in XBMC, go to Videos', select Library Mode'
  14. Browse to Playlists' and find your webcam playlist
  15. Highlight your webcam playlist, click and hold the menu button on the remote and select Add to Favorites'
  16. Done, you can now view your webcam from xbmc!

View IP Camera from an Android Device
  1. Goto the market and download IP Cam Viewer Lite'
  2. Goto the Manage Camera's' and add the camera name, make/model, IP, username and password and click the Test' button.
  3. Now you can view your IP camera on any android device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 AM

Liked: 10
Hello there,

thanks a million for your post. Now my apple tv is displaying my son's monitoring camera!!! hurray!! smile.gif

One question; is it possible to increase the refresh rate? there is a huge lag/delay when watching in through the xbmc on the apple tv when comparing it with plain web browser access.

thanks a lot again,

marc
post #3 of 4 Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitus View Post

Hello there,
thanks a million for your post. Now my apple tv is displaying my son's monitoring camera!!! hurray!! smile.gif
One question; is it possible to increase the refresh rate? there is a huge lag/delay when watching in through the xbmc on the apple tv when comparing it with plain web browser access.
thanks a lot again,
marc

I've messed around with both using .pls like described above and also using the .strm extension. Try creating a .strm file with only the video stream code, no need for all those other variables that are in the .pls. I created both .pls and .strm for all my IP camera's and found some work better with .strm and some better with .pls. I found that using this method a n.264 encoded stream is normally more laggy then a MJPEG so the stream I use for the monitor is a MJPEG stream.

See the .strm article on XBMC wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Internet_video_and_audio_streams

Glad it's working for you!
markitus likes this.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar411 View Post

I've messed around with both using .pls like described above and also using the .strm extension. Try creating a .strm file with only the video stream code, no need for all those other variables that are in the .pls. I created both .pls and .strm for all my IP camera's and found some work better with .strm and some better with .pls. I found that using this method a n.264 encoded stream is normally more laggy then a MJPEG so the stream I use for the monitor is a MJPEG stream.

See the .strm article on XBMC wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Internet_video_and_audio_streams

Glad it's working for you!
I was wondering, is it possible to display this stream on top of the media being played (alas PiP)? That would be awesome!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming