Need help deciding which media streamer to buy. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looked at the manual of my system and it just says PL2 (pro logic2) and DTS. I assume the reason I saw those on my PS3 is it was reading it from the file then converting it to what my stereo could play based on my PS3 output settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Eh, thinking about splurging a little now that I see I have none of those nice audio codecs. How much am I looking at for a receiver that supports those and a 5.1 speakers that are at least a little bit better than a home theater in a box setup?
post #33 of 38 Old 08-12-2011, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe89 View Post

Eh, thinking about splurging a little now that I see I have none of those nice audio codecs. How much am I looking at for a receiver that supports those and a 5.1 speakers that are at least a little bit better than a home theater in a box setup?

$300 will get you a solid AVR (I have an Onkyo 608)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #34 of 38 Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking and I see receivers for about 200-300 seem to have decent ratings. Best buy has a sale on a pioneer that looks decent for 209 and also a well reviewed yamaha for 229. Would those be good receivers, or what should I be looking for? Not been in the market for a receiver so this was just my initial research. Also, what kind of speakers should I be looking for to set up in a bedroom?
post #35 of 38 Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was looking and I see receivers for about 200-300 seem to have decent ratings. Best buy has a sale on a pioneer that looks decent for 209 and also a well reviewed yamaha for 229. Would those be good receivers, or what should I be looking for? Not been in the market for a receiver so this was just my initial research. Also, what kind of speakers should I be looking for to set up in a bedroom?

Both those look good. I can't tell whether they are HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 1.3 (The Pio states it has 3D pass through which could mean it is HDMI 1.4)

Cheers,
Damian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 38 Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

One of those would really save me on cords too. Just realized I could just plug everything to the receiver via hdmi and trash my optical switch. Just run a nice single cable to everything + power lol. My optical switch only catches the remotes IR about 1/4 of the time to change inputs so that would be nice to have something that worked more reliably.

What kind of speakers should I get that won't break the bank too hard? I have all the speaker wire I need already too.
post #37 of 38 Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One of those would really save me on cords too. Just realized I could just plug everything to the receiver via hdmi and trash my optical switch. Just run a nice single cable to everything + power lol. My optical switch only catches the remotes IR about 1/4 of the time to change inputs so that would be nice to have something that worked more reliably.

What kind of speakers should I get that won't break the bank too hard? I have all the speaker wire I need already too.

In my bedroom I have a mix of Polk speakers that I have gotten at various points when on sale. Sound great and didn't break the budget. You can find some decent sets like t his:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eaker%20System

Cheers,
Damian

post #38 of 38 Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Guess I will look around at speaker a bit more then. On the topic of HDMI 1.4 that you mentioned a couple posts ago, I see there is a new receiver for the pioneer that specifically lists 1.4. The 821 replaced the 820 already that is why it's on sale. I did notice however there is a 521 model for 190 on amazon that looks like it has all I could need. According to amazon only difference from 521 to 821 is the ipod connectivity. Obviously there has to be more, but not sure what else as the price difference is 110 dollars!. 190 sounds good to me lol.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page