Review of Netgear WNDR3800 Wireless N600 Router - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 352 Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had the DNS issue but mine has been fine with the latest firmware. I bought mine from Frys. It is possible certain serial #'s etc are having issues.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 352 Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I set it up, took it down, and sent it back. The following is my experience with the Netgear WNDR 3800 and my review on Amazon.

Not for my home network, September 30, 2011

By rxcats (San Francisco, CA United States)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router - Premium Edition (WNDR3800) (Personal Computers)

I purchased the Netgear WNDR 3800 to replace the D-Link DIR 655 that I purchased on Amazon 2 years ago. I returned the new Netgear router today because it failed to objectively improve the performance of my network. I also had difficulties getting it to work with my printer and Parallels, though the latter is probably my fault.

I consider my home network pretty functional and am able to stream Amazon Instant Videos, Netflix and iTunes without any buffering issues. I just figured it couldn't hurt to upgrade with a dual band router and get even higher upload/download speeds and performance. My set-up includes an iMac (early 2009) as my desktop as well as an iPad and an iPhone. I primarily use OS X 10.7.1 (Lion), but I also use Windows 7 using Parallels v7 virtual machine. Other things on my network include TiVo Premiere, Oppo BDP-93, Samsung PN50B650 (50 inch plasma), Brother MFC 465CN (older model printer/scanner/copier/fax that is not wireless) and VoIP lines (VoicePulse) for fax and phone. I have been using the D-Link DIR-655 router, which is connected just behind my entertainment center, so the HDTV, TiVo and Oppo BDP are connected by ethernet. My iMac, iPad and iPhone use the WiFi and my printer and VoIP adapter are connected to the network via ethernet from a D-Link DAP-1522 in wireless bridge mode.

I performed a speedtest on s p e e d t e s t . n e t on September 23rd just before the new router arrived. The results of that test were a download 25.23 Mb/s, upload 4.41 Mb/s and latency 17 ms. The results on the same site and server performed on September 28th, just after the new Netgear WNDR 3800 was installed, were download 24.14 Mb/s, upload 4.32 Mb/s and latency 13 ms on the 2.4 GHz band and download 24.11 Mb/s, upload 4.29 Mb/s and latency 88 ms using the 5.0 GHz band. I realize that there are slight variations every time you do a speedtest, however I think it is obvious that there was no improvement with the newer router on either band.

I tried to keep the set-up exactly the same with the new Netgear router. I was able to get the wireless bridge to work with the new router, but only the VoIP telephone adapter would work with it. The Brother MFC 465CN multifunction printer was not recognized even though it was connected to the wireless bridge just as before (via ethernet). I knew from the beginning that this older model printer would not work connected by USB directly to the router, but I mistakenly thought it would work with the configuration described. I made sure that the latest drivers were installed and updated the DAP-1522 bridge with the latest firmware. The issue with Parallels was an invalid IP address. I am sure I could have made some adjustments somewhere and gotten it to work eventually, but by that time, I new that I was sending the router back.

I am now confident that I have the best speeds I can get with my current broadband connection. My current tier is Comcast Performance Plus, or whatever they are calling it these days; I know it is the tier just under BLAST. I also used this opportunity to update the firmware on my old DIR-655 router, as well as the previously mentioned wireless bridge, which had not been done since I set it up a full 2 years ago.

I really did like the NETGEAR Genie(tm) with all of the data and set-up info. I was also looking forward to using the ReadySHARE® Cloud ability sometime in the future and perhaps using one of the USP connections to connect an additional hard drive for my TiVo. In the end though, it just was more negative than positive for my home network configuration. Perhaps it would work better for those with a PC based network and newer peripheral devices.
post #273 of 352 Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Here is the .19

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...0.0.19-DNS.img

Bob,

I downloaded the .19 update and tried to install it using my mac and when i tried to open the update i got an error, i presume it's because my mac can't open .img, any chance of a mac friendly version ?

2 other points Bob, the main reasons for choosing this router was the premium features, the main one being the "Ready Share Cloud"
- After trying to download the App for my iPhone, i got a nasty surprise.
- And then when trying to access Ready Share from my mac i got another nasty surprise

Surprise 1:
It costs £1.99 for the App even though the netgear website states that ready share is free until 2013...?

Surprise 2:
Mac OSX support will be available in "Months"

What's going on?....
post #274 of 352 Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM

UK buyers! ... Pixmania has the 3800 for ~£150, but every couple of days they reduce it for 24hours or so, i got it for ~£99 (+shipping) ... There's very few places listing it for sale at all in the UK, and Pixmania have it at a very good price.
post #275 of 352 Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewalls123 View Post

UK buyers! ... Pixmania has the 3800 for ~£150, but every couple of days they reduce it for 24hours or so, i got it for ~£99 (+shipping) ... There's very few places listing it for sale at all in the UK, and Pixmania have it at a very good price.

Considering that they are touting themselves as supplying products from within the UK, shipping is ridiculously expensive. They are also famous for supplying used goods as well. If I do order one, I will most definitely avoid ordering from them, as it isn't worth the risk when you can purchase from elsewhere.
post #276 of 352 Old 10-01-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Considering that they are touting themselves as supplying products from within the UK, shipping is ridiculously expensive. They are also famous for supplying used goods as well. If I do order one, I will most definitely avoid ordering from them, as it isn't worth the risk when you can purchase from elsewhere.

Yea the shipping was abit expensive but when you consider i got the router for 95 (i think) it makes it cheaper than anywhere else I could find it in the UK.

Also I was definitely brand new and sealed
post #277 of 352 Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 AM

anyone having the same prob as me?.

can't log into routerlogin.net and/or 192.168.0.1

but inet and netgenie is fine

when on genie...it always hangs when I go to a configuration that needs UN and pw

thanks all!!

I've reset the router already
post #278 of 352 Old 10-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just tried it, got in via both just fine.
post #279 of 352 Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post

Reporting back as requested. They actually shipped a day late and it waited the whole weekend with Parcelforce. Delivered about 5 minutes ago. Not set it up yet. Just to confirm it comes with (inter alia) English instructions and a euro plug. Just need to attach a UK adapter. Very happy with the price, particularly as it seems it's still not available in the UK!

EDIT: Actually, just noticed he also put a UK adapter in the box. Didn't notice it before. Very nice!

Hay Norm, How are you getting on with your import, how did go with the set up etc.

Best Regards

PioneerPDP-506XDE, Pioneer DV-989AVI-S, Denon AVR-4306, Humax 9200T, Sony Freeview VTX D800U, Pioneer DV-565A,6x Keff Eggs, Sony PSP (Black & White) XBOX 360
post #280 of 352 Old 10-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaver View Post

Hay Norm, How are you getting on with your import, how did go with the set up etc.

Yes, I'm still feeling rather uncomfortable about ordering it from Europe. The BT Home Hub really does suck and I need something decent ASAP, but I'm not sure what to do.
post #281 of 352 Old 10-01-2011, 07:00 PM

I have been using my 3800 for a week now with .19 from the start and I have no issues to report.
post #282 of 352 Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokz View Post

anyone having the same prob as me?.

can't log into routerlogin.net and/or 192.168.0.1

but inet and netgenie is fine

when on genie...it always hangs when I go to a configuration that needs UN and pw

thanks all!!

I've reset the router already

I figured it out...its the network isolation check box ..... it must be uncheck for both bands
post #283 of 352 Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaver View Post

Sorry not logged in for a few days. I am very happy with the 3800. Haven't upgraded the firmware to the beta as, touch wood, not had problems yet. It was also interesting to discover my Acer laptop has both 5.0 and 2.4GHz when it showed up when setting my wireless settings. Didn't realise it before as they never seem to advertise what they support.

TBH, having had it now for nearly three weeks, I am astonished it is still not available in the UK. What are Netgear UK playing at?

Regards

Norm
post #284 of 352 Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Bob,

I downloaded the .19 update and tried to install it using my mac and when i tried to open the update i got an error, i presume it's because my mac can't open .img, any chance of a mac friendly version ?

2 other points Bob, the main reasons for choosing this router was the premium features, the main one being the "Ready Share Cloud"
- After trying to download the App for my iPhone, i got a nasty surprise.
- And then when trying to access Ready Share from my mac i got another nasty surprise

Surprise 1:
It costs £1.99 for the App even though the netgear website states that ready share is free until 2013...?

Surprise 2:
Mac OSX support will be available in "Months"

What's going on?....

I had stated in my review that IOS and Andriod apps were $2.99. To use Ready Share Cloud with PC's there is no cost. The only cost is the mobile apps. As far as Mac on RS Lion broke their code so they are having to rework it. Probably will be 1-2 months before it is available.

As to the FW image dont know what I can suggest. If it downloads to a proper file format it should see it and load it. I use a Mac but run Win 7 in bootcamp so had no issues.

Bob
post #285 of 352 Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry not logged in for a few days. I am very happy with the 3800. Haven't upgraded the firmware to the beta as, touch wood, not had problems yet. It was also interesting to discover my Acer laptop has both 5.0 and 2.4GHz when it showed up when setting my wireless settings. Didn't realise it before as they never seem to advertise what they support.

TBH, having had it now for nearly three weeks, I am astonished it is still not available in the UK. What are Netgear UK playing at?

Norm

Without rehashing the UK topic the plan is for a EU sku with power adapters for all countries.

Bob
post #286 of 352 Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Norm

Without rehashing the UK topic the plan is for a EU sku with power adapters for all countries.

Bob

I understand that, Bob. My point is that the EU sku is not available to buy in the UK. At the moment, the only option is to import it from another country such as Germany where it is readily available.

Regards

Norm
post #287 of 352 Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I understand that, Bob. My point is that the EU sku is not available to buy in the UK. At the moment, the only option is to import it from another country such as Germany where it is readily available.

Norm,

Yes sorry for that inconvenience. Early on in the release of the 3800 the UK issue was highlighted. Sales was to work on adding distribution as well as marketing adding a EU sku.

Can you find a 4500 in the UK? This router was set up for wider distribution from the get go. This may be an alternative for you.

Regards,

Bob Silver
post #288 of 352 Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Norm,

Yes sorry for that inconvenience. Early on in the release of the 3800 the UK issue was highlighted. Sales was to work on adding distribution as well as marketing adding a EU sku.

Can you find a 4500 in the UK? This router was set up for wider distribution from the get go. This may be an alternative for you.

Regards,

Bob Silver

You needn't worry about me, Bob. I imported a 3800 from Germany and I love it.

Regards

Norm
post #289 of 352 Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You needn't worry about me, Bob. I imported a 3800 from Germany and I love it.

Thanks for the update Norm. Can you post where you purchased it so others may find it as well.

Thanks again.

Bob
post #290 of 352 Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Bob I finally got the FW updated to .19 (my fault it took so long, I was STUPIDLY selecting the wrong file, oooppps) .... Anyway now when I try to connect to the 5ghz band I get time out errors, it was fine before the update, and 2.4 is still working fine, any suggestions ?
post #291 of 352 Old 10-05-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bob I finally got the FW updated to .19 (my fault it took so long, I was STUPIDLY selecting the wrong file, oooppps) .... Anyway now when I try to connect to the 5ghz band I get time out errors, it was fine before the update, and 2.4 is still working fine, any suggestions ?

No idea why you have issues on 5ghz. If you are using security try turning it off and see if it connects OK. If it does reenter your security codes and tell your client to forget the connection and start fresh. You may just have an incorrect security registration when you set the router up again after applying the fw update.

Bob
post #292 of 352 Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:

No idea why you have issues on 5ghz. If you are using security try turning it off and see if it connects OK. If it does reenter your security codes and tell your client to forget the connection and start fresh. You may just have an incorrect security registration when you set the router up again after applying the fw update.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that worked perfect, you really know what your talking about !
post #293 of 352 Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the update Norm. Can you post where you purchased it so others may find it as well.
Bob

He already did, several pages ago!

Quote:

Well I've just ordered from this German company. Total cost paying by Paypal was 126.40 and with Paypal's exchange rate that came to £111.70. Just had confirmation they will be shipping it tomorrow! So, hopefully a result!

I also ordered from the same German company (I can't post the actual link as the forum won't let me until I've made 3 posts, but it is at the bottom of page 5 of this thread), and received the router a few days later with a UK plug included in the box. It works fine here with Virgin Media broadband. I found the range was no better than my previous cheap router, but I had lots of issues with dropped connections and inability to access most websites from my iPhone, and all these issues were fixed by installing the new router. It also seems to be very fast, so I'm happy.

post #294 of 352 Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinterglem View Post

He already did, several pages ago!

I also ordered from the same German company (I can't post the actual link as the forum won't let me until I've made 3 posts, but it is at the bottom of page 5 of this thread), and received the router a few days later with a UK plug included in the box. It works fine here with Virgin Media broadband. I found the range was no better than my previous cheap router, but I had lots of issues with dropped connections and inability to access most websites from my iPhone, and all these issues were fixed by installing the new router. It also seems to be very fast, so I'm happy.

I don't understand your post, your saying that 'it's not better than your previous cheap router with lots if issues with dropped connections etc and then you say all the issues were fixed with the new router. Are you saying your old router had issues and the new router fixed the issues.

Best Regards

PioneerPDP-506XDE, Pioneer DV-989AVI-S, Denon AVR-4306, Humax 9200T, Sony Freeview VTX D800U, Pioneer DV-565A,6x Keff Eggs, Sony PSP (Black & White) XBOX 360
post #295 of 352 Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Sorry, that was a bit incoherent wasn't it. My old router had lots of problems, the WNDR3800 fixed them all.

post #296 of 352 Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Sorry, that was a bit incoherent wasn't it. My old router had lots of problems, the WNDR3800 fixed them all.

That's what I thought but wanted confirmation. Thanks

Best Regards

post #297 of 352 Old 10-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:

The 3800 fixed all the problems with your old router? So did you return the 3800 and stick with your old fixed one?
post #298 of 352 Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM

I am considering perchasing the 3800 along with an external hard drive. I am wondering which would function better and faster: a usb hard drive such as the Western Digital My Book Essential usb drive or the Western Digital My Book Live enternet drive. With the usb drive I would use Netgear readyshare cloud and with the enternet drive I would use the Western digital my book live personal cloud. My main concern is speed of data tranfers within my home network. I would likely only use the cloud features to a very limited degree.
post #299 of 352 Old 10-10-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinces View Post

I am considering perchasing the 3800 along with an external hard drive. I am wondering which would function better and faster: a usb hard drive such as the Western Digital My Book Essential usb drive or the Western Digital My Book Live enternet drive. With the usb drive I would use Netgear readyshare cloud and with the enternet drive I would use the Western digital my book live personal cloud. My main concern is speed of data tranfers within my home network. I would likely only use the cloud features to a very limited degree.

Without 1st knowledge of the wd performance I can't really say. The USB performance on the Netgear is fair. It is ok for moderate tasks. Can be used for streaming but I would limit it to 1 stream at a time. Give the USB drive a shot 1st. You'll know quick enough if it is fast enough for your needs.

Bob
post #300 of 352 Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's an update...

For about a month now, for some odd reason, it seems like every 2 weeks or so I lose my wireless connection completely. A reboot of the 3800 fixes it, but this is kind of annoying. My old Linksys would run 3 months without any issues. I'm on the .19 firmware. Anyone else have the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page