Review of Netgear WNDR3800 Wireless N600 Router - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 352 Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Picked one up today today at Costco, <$120. Very easy to setup. Initially couldn't figure out how to get Time Machine to work, but finally got it after reformatting the hard drive again. Seems like a great product so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 352 Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 3800 with .24 for 2 weeks now and am experiencing the wireless drops requiring a reboot of the router. It looks like I need to drop the speed from 150/300 to 54 to get a reliable environment until Netgear gets a fix.
post #333 of 352 Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
No success getting Time Machine to work with a hard drive connected to the router. Tried it on one of my laptops, was taking forever. Having never done a backup like this before, I suppose it could just be from doing such a large backup over wireless. Aborted, found the drive was corrupted so I reformatted it and backed up 3 computers using direct USB. May try to do some updates through the router to see if it will work.
Otherwise, the router itself has been working well, no reboots so far. Much more stable than the Linksys I was using.
I'm still considering returning it to Costco and spending the extra money for an airport express, since we are an all mac family at this point.
post #334 of 352 Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl326 View Post

Wait until it is fixed, rather than purchasing and crossing your fingers. WNDR3700 v2 owners have been crossing their fingers for a long..long time now!

News of these 3700 v2 issues is new to me, can you elaborate on what kind of problems and under what circumstances the issues occur? We've deployed several 3700 v2 routers in SMB environments (replacing the previous Buffalo series we were using, those things are absolutely unreliable imo), and have had pretty good luck with them.

fwiw, I just replaced one of those problematic buffalo devices (WZR-HP-G300NH) in my own home with a 3800 yesterday, and so far so good. Too early to tell, but issues I had w/the Buffalo involved common (3-4x/week) wifi dropouts, having to reboot the modem at least once/week, slow throughput.

EDIT: fwiw I have the 3800 running in AP mode at my place (firewall/DHCP duties served up by an FVS338), while the 3700s we've deployed function as routers.
post #335 of 352 Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 AM

Hi can i ask if the wndr 3800 if anyone know if the WD My Book Essential 3 TB

works with the wndr 3800

I can see in the USB Compatibility List under WMDR3800
that wndr 3800 is compatible with the WD 2TB My Book Essential 3.5inch

but i need the more space and wanted to get the
WD My Book Essential 3 TB to use with my wndr 3800

Or Im wrong and the harddisk i have here found belongs under the :
Please note, some USB drives require software to be loaded into the PC or are password protected. Such USB devices will NOT work with the Router.

I had to ask
thanks in advanced ihta

(ps thanks for the good support given here )
(pss i had added links to all product and all but because of the
#You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 3 posts#
here is no link for the info )
post #336 of 352 Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihta View Post

Hi can i ask if the wndr 3800 if anyone know if the WD My Book Essential 3 TB

works with the wndr 3800

I can see in the USB Compatibility List under WMDR3800
that wndr 3800 is compatible with the WD 2TB My Book Essential 3.5inch

but i need the more space and wanted to get the
WD My Book Essential 3 TB to use with my wndr 3800

Or Im wrong and the harddisk i have here found belongs under the :
Please note, some USB drives require software to be loaded into the PC or are password protected. Such USB devices will NOT work with the Router.

I had to ask
thanks in advanced ihta

(ps thanks for the good support given here )
(pss i had added links to all product and all but because of the
#You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 3 posts#
here is no link for the info )

Should be no issue with the drive. Just plug it in an I would reboot the router. Sometimes the router needs a reboot to see the drive. But other then that you need to go to the USB tab and define how you wish to share it.

Bob Silver
post #337 of 352 Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 AM

This may be a foolish question, but this is my first time working with a higher level router.

We just picked up the WNDR3800 last night, and so far I love it. Here's what I'm wondering, though. When configuring the "main" network, I realized that I had to choose between 2.4ghz or 5ghz. I picked 5ghz because we live in a condo in the city, so I figured go the less common route. The problem is that our wireless printer doesn't recognize it, nor do our smart phones.

Is there a way to somehow bridge the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks? It would be nice to have ONE network that allows peripherals on both bands to connect, rather than creating two separate networks.

Thanks in advance!
post #338 of 352 Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 AM

Set the two bands up with the same SSID.
post #339 of 352 Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0Zak View Post

Set the two bands up with the same SSID.

I thought about that, but figured it would not work correctly. By doing this it'll act as one network?
post #340 of 352 Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiv View Post

I thought about that, but figured it would not work correctly. By doing this it'll act as one network?

Yes. Wireless clients will automatically choose the best signal and band they are capable of using. Once you realize this it dramatically simplifies setting up a network of devices with different capabilities. ;-). This is exactly how I have set up my home network. Wireless clients will even switch bands seamlessly as I move from the side of the house with wireless G to the side that has an N access point.
post #341 of 352 Old 06-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Readyshare just stopped working for me. Router states no USB storage detected. I thought maybe the hard drive had failed so I disconnected it and hooked it directly to my computer. It appears the hard drive is not the problem as it works just fine connected directly to my computer. Any ideas how to fix Readyshare?
post #342 of 352 Old 06-09-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post

Readyshare just stopped working for me. Router states no USB storage detected. I thought maybe the hard drive had failed so I disconnected it and hooked it directly to my computer. It appears the hard drive is not the problem as it works just fine connected directly to my computer. Any ideas how to fix Readyshare?

Can you try another usb hard drive on the router? Some drives power saving can at times cause problems although given you had been using this drive I doubt that is the issue. I also assume you have rebooted the router and drive? If not do that asap.

If another drive works then it is an issue between the router and drive. USB drives can fail in their electronics. I have had several Seagate usb drives fail from their electronics (not the drive itself). They become flaky. Work intermittently. This happen to me a month or so ago.

But in the end you need to nail this down by process of elimination.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #343 of 352 Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Unfortunately I own no other drives that I can try. I tried power cycling everything, no help. It worked fine since day one, then recently (last week or so) started working intermittently. Now won't even recognize it has a drive connected. The drive lights up when plugged in and you can hear it spinning inside, so it is on. It will occasionally make beeping noises that I had never heard before (could this be the drive indicating it is failing?)

I'm just perplexed because after disconnecting it form the router and connecting it directly to my computer via USB the drive is operating fine, retrieving files with no problems and not making any beeping noises.
post #344 of 352 Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM

We are thinking of adding this router to our household. We're a mixed use PC/MAC family. Our biggest draw for this is the NAS and DNLA features. However, we want to add a 3TB drive and are unsure of which are compatible. If I remember correctly the list I looked at last night only went up to 2TB. Can anyone tell me what other 3TB HDs are compatible besides the WD My Book mentioned above? I'm not against using that drive as I have two similar drives running as additional TiVo storage, yet I have also had a bad experience with an older version of that drive dying way before EOL should have happened. I'd like some options.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
post #345 of 352 Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather A View Post

We are thinking of adding this router to our household. We're a mixed use PC/MAC family. Our biggest draw for this is the NAS and DNLA features. However, we want to add a 3TB drive and are unsure of which are compatible. If I remember correctly the list I looked at last night only went up to 2TB. Can anyone tell me what other 3TB HDs are compatible besides the WD My Book mentioned above? I'm not against using that drive as I have two similar drives running as additional TiVo storage, yet I have also had a bad experience with an older version of that drive dying way before EOL should have happened. I'd like some options.

I wouldn't be concerned with the My Book drive. In fact I have used Seagate, WD Samsung and Hitachi drives and find the WD drives last as long as any I use. Seagates in particular for me have had the worst reliability. Drives fail. Nature of the beast.

The point Id make is if you plan to use the router as a NAS with lots of storage you look at the WNDR4500 or the R6300 routers http://www.netgear.com/R6300. Both have faster usb sections then does the 3800. With streaming that's important.

Another drive option is to buy a USB sata drive case and put your drive of choice in it. This is what I do. The incompatibilities with external usb drives has more to do with drive power management. Some usb drives spin down when not in use and the router may see the drive as off line and give you an error. Its why I use and 3rd party case and my drive. It never spins down and is always available. This also allows you to easily upgrade the drive at a later time,

Lastly if you are going to use a large drive make sure all is backed up. Drives fail so dont rely on this as your only copy of data. If you are then I would suggest getting a standalone NAS. Netgear sells some very good and not too expensive NAS systems. http://www.netgear.com/landing/ultra/ultra.aspx

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #346 of 352 Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather A View Post

That is a good question that I would like the answer to as well.
The support for drives larger than 2 TB is not a given and one must check beforehand.
You could try asking on Netgear's forum (and let us know the answer!)
http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120
post #347 of 352 Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 PM

I need to add an extender so my upstairs TV can get an internet signal for Netflix. Would you reccomend the WN2500RP or something else? I read that I can receive in 2.4 or 5 GHz and then transmit in the opposite and this will eliminate the loss of throughput usually seen on extenders?
post #348 of 352 Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post

I need to add an extender so my upstairs TV can get an internet signal for Netflix. Would you reccomend the WN2500RP or something else? I read that I can receive in 2.4 or 5 GHz and then transmit in the opposite and this will eliminate the loss of throughput usually seen on extenders?

Well a repeater like you list would be fine. The issues with repeaters is they repeat. So you take a performance hit doing that. But you can use a repeater as a bridge. Meaning that it connects to your main router via wifi but use an ethernet connection to the device. The repeater function is still available but in this instance you are not using it. Again it works like a bridge this way and you get no hit to performance or a much smaller one.

All that said for Netflix a repeater itself may be perfectly fine. The performance hit comes in latency more then anything else. And the WN2500RP is the one to buy.

Bob Silver
post #349 of 352 Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Ugh, I had posted previously about ReadyShare Storage failing even though drive worked previously, and still works fine when connected to my computer.

I also had my printer connected and using ReadyShare print. That was working fine even after ReadyShare Storage failed. Now that has stopped working as well. The WNDR3800 doesn't recognize anything is plugged in to the USB port. Any ideas what the heck the problem is and how to fix it? Is it time for a new router? If so I would be very disappointed. Paid quite a bit for this one the day it came out, it shouldn't have failed already.
post #350 of 352 Old 10-02-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
(Started a new thread on this by accident. Meant to post here.)

Is anybody having issues with their iPhone 5S losing wifi connectivity with the 3800? I just got the 5S and notice that sometimes the phone loses internet connectivity, even though the phone thinks it's still connected to the wifi network.

I went from the iPhone 4 to the 5S. I never had any issues losing the wifi connection with the 4. However, after getting the 5S I asked my kids about their iPhone 5's and they've had issues for a quite some time.

So, any ideas? I know it could just be the phone, but thought I'd ask here about the router.

BTW, my router is still on FW 1.0.0.18, I've never updated it.

Thanks...
post #351 of 352 Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Try 1.0.0.38. It seems to be the most stable firmware version.

More discussion on this router is at

ejhuzy likes this.
post #352 of 352 Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

Try 1.0.0.38. It seems to be the most stable firmware version.

More discussion on this router is at

Thanks for the suggestion and forum pointer. I'm giving this a try tonight.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page