Review of Netgear WNDR3800 Wireless N600 Router - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 352 Old 09-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Member
 
dpeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
one other thing that i have found that might benefit sprint customers using airave is the constant random disconnects i was having with the 3700v1 are now a thing of the past.
dpeagle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 352 Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ejhuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bob, do you know if BestBuy will end up carrying the 3800? Right now I don't see it on their web site. While I'm not tied to BB, I'd like to use the $100 gift card I have there towards a Netgear router. I see all the other models, even the 4500.
ejhuzy is offline  
post #183 of 352 Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
dmikester1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

So excuse my lack of knowledge, but what difference does the chipset make?

If you're into open source firmwares, apparently it does. Quotes from the DD-WRT forum thread:
"WNDR4000 has a "Broadcom BCM4716" chip rev 1 ... So that could lead to really good support regarding open Source Firmware!"

"A part of me just died.... sorry but I am still yet to see any of Broadcom's highest end radios beat Atheros, they have little tolerance for decent TX power and jitter throughput, and their fastest CPU just isn't fast enough for a top end router like this. It needs the AR7161."

Read through this thread to learn more details: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...light=wndr3800

Mike
dmikester1 is offline  
post #184 of 352 Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Bob, do you know if BestBuy will end up carrying the 3800? Right now I don't see it on their web site. While I'm not tied to BB, I'd like to use the $100 gift card I have there towards a Netgear router. I see all the other models, even the 4500.

Bb will have in October I believe. Bottom line was they didn't think their customers would buy a feature rich router. Speeds and specs they get. But not the special aspects of the 3800. Given the early success of the 3800 they are seeing the light.

Bob
bobsilver is online now  
post #185 of 352 Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm receiving the 3800 today, but after hearing about the 4500...should I return it and wait for the 4500?

I just want a stable router with strong wireless reception for both N and B/G. Currently, i'm using a old linksys router and it has been very stable. The house is about 2000 sq ft. The Sony LED is wireless with N I think.

current componets using wireless:
*Sony LED with wireless N
*PS3 with wireless G
*XBOX360 with wireless G I think
*several iphone
*printer using wireless
*several laptop with wireless G
*media player with wireless N
*several tablet with wireless N

Should I stick with 3800? I don't believe I have any adapter that can meet the 450 speed.

In my view I'd say keep the 3800. In particular if you use 5ghz devices like iPad or ATV the video mode is important plus the other features make IMHO the better choice. But either one are really the best on the market today. Choices choices.

Bob
bobsilver is online now  
post #186 of 352 Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

thanks for the input. I'm just concern with the previous comment about having drop connection with the 3800.

The drops are rare but Netgear already has a fix. I haven't experienced it but others have. They a are on top of it.

Bob
bobsilver is online now  
post #187 of 352 Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytim View Post


Does either have an advantage over the other, insofar as utilizing alternative firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc.) in the future???

If you want to use other firmware you better off with a 3800.

Bob
bobsilver is online now  
post #188 of 352 Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor JK View Post


Ok. Based on this comment, I went ahead with the 3800. You are right, that is not significant USB performance upgrade to miss out on all the features the 3800 has to offer over the 4500. However, I'm a little concerned about the weak USB compatibility list http://support.netgear.com/app/answe...ZwWDlFaw%3D%3D

They state this: Please note, some USB drives require software to be loaded into the PC or are password protected. Such USB devices will NOT work with WNDR3800.

Sooo..... Am I correct to say that if the drive is standalone (not requiring software installation), and if it's not password protected, it will work? Does this include USB 3.0 desktop drives? I just need clarification. Perhaps if anybody has tested their desktop drive, and if it's USB 3.0, they could offer up the exact model number? Thanks in advance.

That is really a drive manufacturer issue. Really any USB drive that is not burdened by added software will work. Frankly best solution is getting a USB drive enclosure and put your own drive in it. May cost a few dollars more but you can swap drives easily if you need more space. Currently I have a 500gb drive that I will be swapping with a 2 tb drive. Their $69 on sale now.

Bob
bobsilver is online now  
post #189 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Newbie
 
FrankP999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

The drops are rare but Netgear already has a fix. I haven't experienced it but others have. They a are on top of it.

Bob

I bought a 3800 last week and it was dropping the internet connection several times a day from the start - it kept giving DNS INVALID errors when re-booting the router. The Netgear techs sent me a test version 1.0.0.19-DNS of the firmware and it corrected the problem. They tell me the public release should be available in late Sept or early October.

I love the range and much stronger signal than my old Linksys.
FrankP999 is offline  
post #190 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone have any input on this? Is there anything that I can do to make it better?

When I connect a wired from the router to my laptop, I ran a DSL speed test and it was showing 23Mbps download speed.

When I ran the test using the wireless function to my laptop, it was a report of 15Mbps download speed. The laptop is just a basic B/G internal mode.

I'm right next to the router. Is that a big discrepancy in the speed? Should I expect to see a better number for the wireless speed?

Right now, I'm getting a 4 out of 5 bars showing from the laptop with a speed of 54 Mbps. I know my linksys was showing a 5 out of 5 bars with a speed of 54 Mbps before.

Also, if I buy a USB with wireless N adapter of 300 for the laptop, does it help get a better download speed?
MySassyGirl is offline  
post #191 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Member
 
dpeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
something is amiss. on the local N network i get 240/270mps on the 5ghz and 300mps on the 2.4 at 20ft with 2 walls in between. if you get a usb adapter make sure it's dual band N. also, your post is a bit confusing as you state you ran a dsl test (ie speedtest.net). are you saying your dsl internet speed is 23mps and 15mps, or is your local network showing 23mps and 15.
dpeagle is offline  
post #192 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran the test here:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

wired: 23 Mbps
wireless: 15 Mbps

What's the reason why it should be dual band N? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeagle View Post

something is amiss. on the local N network i get 240/270mps on the 5ghz and 300mps on the 2.4 at 20ft with 2 walls in between. if you get a usb adapter make sure it's dual band N. also, your post is a bit confusing as you state you ran a dsl test (ie speedtest.net). are you saying your dsl internet speed is 23mps and 15mps, or is your local network showing 23mps and 15.

MySassyGirl is offline  
post #193 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
StratmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

Can anyone have any input on this? Is there anything that I can do to make it better?

When I connect a wired from the router to my laptop, I ran a DSL speed test and it was showing 23Mbps download speed.

When I ran the test using the wireless function to my laptop, it was a report of 15Mbps download speed. The laptop is just a basic B/G internal mode.

I'm right next to the router. Is that a big discrepancy in the speed? Should I expect to see a better number for the wireless speed?

Right now, I'm getting a 4 out of 5 bars showing from the laptop with a speed of 54 Mbps. I know my linksys was showing a 5 out of 5 bars with a speed of 54 Mbps before.

Also, if I buy a USB with wireless N adapter of 300 for the laptop, does it help get a better download speed?

What is the maximum download speed per your ISP?

What is the make and model of your notebook?


I have a 30 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload cable internet connection. I currently have a single band B/G wireless adapter in my notebook. Wireless connection speed tests be up to 20 Mbps download depending on the channel selected for WiFi and where I am in my home and the time of day (signal interference from neighbor's wireless). When I plug my notebook directly into the wireless router or modem - a wired connection - I get my full 30 Mbps download thoughput.

Barring any setup issues, multiple factors can result in slower wireless download speeds - interference from neighbor's wireless signals, your wireless adapter's real world performance (not just theoretical capability), or issues with the internet beyond the control of your ISP.

What can you do about this?

One thing is to try different locations for your wireless router, especially more centralized in the home and with fewer walls or barriers between it and your notebook. Even moving a couple feet and what direction the box is oriented can make a difference. Placing my wireless router on top of my desk on the side towards the center of my home, instead of on the floor or on the other side of the desk, improved signal upstairs on the other side of the house.

You could try a directional antenna to focus the signal to where your notebook is in the home. If you move around then this is cumbersome because you will need to reorient the antenna to your new location for best effect.

You could try using two modems in either bridge or repeater mode.

You could try a Powerline product like Netgear's XAVB5001, which uses your electrical outlets to send your internet signals. If this works in your home, you may obtain the better speeds, or at least more dependable speeds, than wireless. It also may solve problems of little or no signal to certain areas in your home.

You could try MOCA, which uses the coaxial plugs in homes that cable companies use to give you cable TV, internet and telephone services. Netgear has MOCA products on their website. If you try Powerline or MOCA products, make sure you buy from a store you can return them to for no restocking fee - just in case!

Another thing, consider a better wireless adapter for your notebook. I recently ordered an Intel 5300 wireless adapter off eBay which uses B/G/ and N, hopefully allowing me to approach or reach my 30 Mbps download potential like I do with wired connections.

I find an internal wireless adapter to be a better solution than an external USB adapter - less to remember to carry and less risk of damage from something sticking out from the case, but whatever works for you is good.

There are more things to try but this should give you something to think about.
StratmanX is offline  
post #194 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Member
 
dpeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

I ran the test here:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

wired: 23 Mbps
wireless: 15 Mbps

What's the reason why it should be dual band N? Thanks.

a dual band n adapter would allow use of the 5ghz wireless band. looking at the equipment you listed previously it would allow for you to use the enhanced video streaming capabilities of the 3800s 5ghz network. also not knowing the specifics of your local 2.4ghz network (other 2.4 connected devices, and local 2.4ghz interference) its hard to say how congested with other traffic it might be. if you do decide to invest in a dual band wireless n adapter do your research. quality, price and performance vary greatly between brands.
dpeagle is offline  
post #195 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My maximum donwload speed from ISP is 24 Mbps.
I'm currently using a Thinkpad T42p.

Thanks for all the suggestions below. It's good to know why I'm only getting 15 Mbps wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

What is the maximum download speed per your ISP?

What is the make and model of your notebook?


I have a 30 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload cable internet connection. I currently have a single band B/G wireless adapter in my notebook. Wireless connection speed tests be up to 20 Mbps download depending on the channel selected for WiFi and where I am in my home and the time of day (signal interference from neighbor's wireless). When I plug my notebook directly into the wireless router or modem - a wired connection - I get my full 30 Mbps download thoughput.

Barring any setup issues, multiple factors can result in slower wireless download speeds - interference from neighbor's wireless signals, your wireless adapter's real world performance (not just theoretical capability), or issues with the internet beyond the control of your ISP.

What can you do about this?

One thing is to try different locations for your wireless router, especially more centralized in the home and with fewer walls or barriers between it and your notebook. Even moving a couple feet and what direction the box is oriented can make a difference. Placing my wireless router on top of my desk on the side towards the center of my home, instead of on the floor or on the other side of the desk, improved signal upstairs on the other side of the house.

You could try a directional antenna to focus the signal to where your notebook is in the home. If you move around then this is cumbersome because you will need to reorient the antenna to your new location for best effect.

You could try using two modems in either bridge or repeater mode.

You could try a Powerline product like Netgear's XAVB5001, which uses your electrical outlets to send your internet signals. If this works in your home, you may obtain the better speeds, or at least more dependable speeds, than wireless. It also may solve problems of little or no signal to certain areas in your home.

You could try MOCA, which uses the coaxial plugs in homes that cable companies use to give you cable TV, internet and telephone services. Netgear has MOCA products on their website. If you try Powerline or MOCA products, make sure you buy from a store you can return them to for no restocking fee - just in case!

Another thing, consider a better wireless adapter for your notebook. I recently ordered an Intel 5300 wireless adapter off eBay which uses B/G/ and N, hopefully allowing me to approach or reach my 30 Mbps download potential like I do with wired connections.

I find an internal wireless adapter to be a better solution than an external USB adapter - less to remember to carry and less risk of damage from something sticking out from the case, but whatever works for you is good.

There are more things to try but this should give you something to think about.

MySassyGirl is offline  
post #196 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the information.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeagle View Post

a dual band n adapter would allow use of the 5ghz wireless band. looking at the equipment you listed previously it would allow for you to use the enhanced video streaming capabilities of the 3800s 5ghz network. also not knowing the specifics of your local 2.4ghz network (other 2.4 connected devices, and local 2.4ghz interference) its hard to say how congested with other traffic it might be. if you do decide to invest in a dual band wireless n adapter do your research. quality, price and performance vary greatly between brands.

MySassyGirl is offline  
post #197 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
StratmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

My maximum donwload speed from ISP is 24 Mbps.
I'm currently using a Thinkpad T42p.

I see the IBM uses a "whitelist" in its BIOS to ensure you can only use certain wireless adapters in their notebook. This is in part done to increase revenue streams by keeping T42 notebook owners "hostage" over parts that may be installed. Dell does this crap as well for at least some of their models.

There is somebody on eBay selling an "IBM Thinkpad T42 Wireless Wifi N 802.11N PCI mini Card". You will need to run a utility (1802?) in order to use this adapter.

From the looks of it, the adapter found searching on eBay for the above quote appears to be an Intel 5300 - "INT-533ANMMW". Yet, the eBay description makes a point about how the Intel 5300 is smaller and will not fit the T42. Also, the seller states the adapter does 300 Mbps, while the Intel 5300 does 450 Mbps. The seller's page also does not show you the other side of the card, which I'd bet has "Intel" on it, or is an Intel clone.

If you search eBay for "Intel 5300" you will find a mix of adapters - "full" mini, "half" mini, those that will work on Dells, and those that won't work on Dell's but do work on IBM. The last one plus the utility may be an inexpensive and satisfying solution, but read the T42 forums or Google hits on the subject before buying anything.

I am suspicious about the seller from the quoted description above is misleading people and up-charging for the adapter. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you want an N band wireless adapter, something that will take advantage of the dual band architecture of the WNDR3800, you should look on the T42 forums for other people's solutions to upgrading their wireless adapters. You need to know if the card is full or half height mini PCI-E and whether there are two or three antenna present already in your notebook. You may be able to upgrade your current B/G 54 Mbps wireless adapter to an B/G/N 300 Mbps or more wireless adapter. That's what I'm in the process of doing.
StratmanX is offline  
post #198 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any thought on the following. I was streaming ESPN3 today for a game and doing it on my laptop wireless and my PC. My laptop would seem to be 3 or 4 bars on video quality for the game where my PC was usually 2-3 bars. Too me it should be the opposite.
I was running my wireless on 2.4ghz as well.
Not sure why the PC was not getting at least 3-4 bars for video quality.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
post #199 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
StratmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Any thought on the following. I was streaming ESPN3 today for a game and doing it on my laptop wireless and my PC. My laptop would seem to be 3 or 4 bars on video quality for the game where my PC was usually 2-3 bars. Too me it should be the opposite.
I was running my wireless on 2.4ghz as well.
Not sure why the PC was not getting at least 3-4 bars for video quality.

Would QoS tied to a MAC address cause this?

Are there obstructions to signal around or on the way to the PC, and not so many compared to the notebook, which would interfere with signal?

Was there a new device, either in your home or a neighbors, that interfered with signal to your PC?

Gremlins?
StratmanX is offline  
post #200 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
StratmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Getting a new wireless adapter for my notebook, an Intel 5300, which is a certified 3T3R 450 Mbps adapter. Wanted to know how the Intel 5300's capabilities fit in with the WNDR3800 (300 Mbps+300 Mbps) and the WNDR4500 (450 Mbps+450 Mbps). Considering the specs of the Intel 5300, which wireless router is more likely to take full/fuller advantage of the adapter's capabilities - the WNDR3800, the WNDR4500, or is it a toss up in the real world (vs the theoretical)?

Anybody have a list of what single devices take advantage of the 900 Mbps throughput of the WNDR4500?
StratmanX is offline  
post #201 of 352 Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wow, thanks for your research.

I read that people have been able to insert this mini pci card TP-LINK TL-WN861N to the T42p with running the "no 1802" utility to allow insertion of other vendors. However, the wireless light will be off.

I was debating in doing this method $25 or a USB N adapter for around $20. I'll probably go with the mini pci method instead as a temporary solution until I new laptop.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

I see the IBM uses a "whitelist" in its BIOS to ensure you can only use certain wireless adapters in their notebook. This is in part done to increase revenue streams by keeping T42 notebook owners "hostage" over parts that may be installed. Dell does this crap as well for at least some of their models.

There is somebody on eBay selling an "IBM Thinkpad T42 Wireless Wifi N 802.11N PCI mini Card". You will need to run a utility (1802?) in order to use this adapter.

From the looks of it, the adapter found searching on eBay for the above quote appears to be an Intel 5300 - "INT-533ANMMW". Yet, the eBay description makes a point about how the Intel 5300 is smaller and will not fit the T42. Also, the seller states the adapter does 300 Mbps, while the Intel 5300 does 450 Mbps. The seller's page also does not show you the other side of the card, which I'd bet has "Intel" on it, or is an Intel clone.

If you search eBay for "Intel 5300" you will find a mix of adapters - "full" mini, "half" mini, those that will work on Dells, and those that won't work on Dell's but do work on IBM. The last one plus the utility may be an inexpensive and satisfying solution, but read the T42 forums or Google hits on the subject before buying anything.

I am suspicious about the seller from the quoted description above is misleading people and up-charging for the adapter. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you want an N band wireless adapter, something that will take advantage of the dual band architecture of the WNDR3800, you should look on the T42 forums for other people's solutions to upgrading their wireless adapters. You need to know if the card is full or half height mini PCI-E and whether there are two or three antenna present already in your notebook. You may be able to upgrade your current B/G 54 Mbps wireless adapter to an B/G/N 300 Mbps or more wireless adapter. That's what I'm in the process of doing.

MySassyGirl is offline  
post #202 of 352 Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Bob. I currently have the WNDR3400-100NAS that i stream content to Ipads an an Itouch and 1 laptop. I'm pretty happy with the performance but wish there was a bit more range for the iPad in the backyard. Do you think there's be any performance gains with the 3800? My spec research says no but i figure i'd ask anyways. Thanx in advance.
mayhem13 is offline  
post #203 of 352 Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Member
 
dpeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Hi Bob. I currently have the WNDR3400-100NAS that i stream content to Ipads an an Itouch and 1 laptop. I'm pretty happy with the performance but wish there was a bit more range for the iPad in the backyard. Do you think there's be any performance gains with the 3800? My spec research says no but i figure i'd ask anyways. Thanx in advance.

i have found that the 3800s 2.4ghz band is stronger then it was on my 3700v1. i think they did some creative improvements with the antenna array. if all your looking to do is extend the range of your network you could get the 3800 and use the 3400 in repeater mode.
dpeagle is offline  
post #204 of 352 Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeagle View Post

i have found that the 3800s 2.4ghz band is stronger then it was on my 3700v1. i think they did some creative improvements with the antenna array. if all your looking to do is extend the range of your network you could get the 3800 and use the 3400 in repeater mode.

How bout re-assigning it as an AP?
mayhem13 is offline  
post #205 of 352 Old 09-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Member
 
dpeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
How bout re-assigning it as an AP?
i don't know about setting it up as an access point but i suppose you could set up the 3400 in bridge mode and connect that way. i will say i have an engenius repeater in my network and at almost 100ft i get 80 to 90% signal strength.
dpeagle is offline  
post #206 of 352 Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanx dpeagle. I found an instructional at smallnetbuilder.com on how to configure a router as an AP. Looks really simple so i'll grab the 3800 and reconfigure the 3400 as an AP for use on the bottom level where the wireless is a bit weak. New Ipad apps are really hungry for higher speeds and more stabile connectivity. The Hulu+ app is awesome with Airplay to fling it to the upstairs ATVs....downstairs not so much.
mayhem13 is offline  
post #207 of 352 Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Member
 
Am_I_Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
question:
i have FIOS...so their router/modem/MOCA/whatever is what my main connection is through...have the wireless turned off and am using the 3800 as my wireless router throughout the house (its hooked up using this method: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506)...everything "works" fine as in i get a connection but i cannot set up ReadyShare Cloud, cannot log in through genie, and anything of that nature...

any work arounds or am i just SOL by having the router's IP be 192.168.1.2 and not using the WAN port?
Am_I_Evil is offline  
post #208 of 352 Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Member
 
Norm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Nueva Andalucia, Spain
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Well I've just ordered from this German company. Total cost paying by Paypal was €126.40 and with Paypal's exchange rate that came to £111.70. Just had confirmation they will be shipping it tomorrow! So, hopefully a result!
Reporting back as requested. They actually shipped a day late and it waited the whole weekend with Parcelforce. Delivered about 5 minutes ago. Not set it up yet. Just to confirm it comes with (inter alia) English instructions and a euro plug. Just need to attach a UK adapter. Very happy with the price, particularly as it seems it's still not available in the UK!

EDIT: Actually, just noticed he also put a UK adapter in the box. Didn't notice it before. Very nice!

Regards

Norm
Norm is offline  
post #209 of 352 Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post
Would QoS tied to a MAC address cause this?

Are there obstructions to signal around or on the way to the PC, and not so many compared to the notebook, which would interfere with signal?

Was there a new device, either in your home or a neighbors, that interfered with signal to your PC?

Gremlins?
issue was I think I have a flakey port on my switch - plugged PC lan cable into different port and things seem good now.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
post #210 of 352 Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil View Post
question:
i have FIOS...so their router/modem/MOCA/whatever is what my main connection is through...have the wireless turned off and am using the 3800 as my wireless router throughout the house (its hooked up using this method: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506)...everything "works" fine as in i get a connection but i cannot set up ReadyShare Cloud, cannot log in through genie, and anything of that nature...

any work arounds or am i just SOL by having the router's IP be 192.168.1.2 and not using the WAN port?
A couple questions -
What OS are you running and what model of PC?

Also does your FIOS router have a lan connection or coax connection coming from the FIOS box. I have FIOS and mine is a lan connection so I don't use there supplied router I just use the 3800.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off