Samsung @Internet TV Apps vs. Roku or Boxee - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are looking to cancel our satellite subscription and go for a streaming-only setup. I was looking into Roku and Boxee, when I realized that my Samsung LN40C650 can connect to the Internet and stream from NetFlix, Hulu Plus, etc.

I bought the USB antenna and connected to my wireless and things work...pretty much. The streaming can get spotty, even though the Samsung connection test says that we're running at about 4.5Mbps. Unfortunately, we're out in the sticks so we can't get better than that.

The question is: Do the apps work differently for the Roku or Boxee Box than they do for Samsung? Is there ANY benefit to going with a box as opposed to using the Samsung apps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry0718 View Post

My wife and I are looking to cancel our satellite subscription and go for a streaming-only setup. I was looking into Roku and Boxee, when I realized that my Samsung LN40C650 can connect to the Internet and stream from NetFlix, Hulu Plus, etc.

I bought the USB antenna and connected to my wireless and things work...pretty much. The streaming can get spotty, even though the Samsung connection test says that we're running at about 4.5Mbps. Unfortunately, we're out in the sticks so we can't get better than that.

The question is: Do the apps work differently for the Roku or Boxee Box than they do for Samsung? Is there ANY benefit to going with a box as opposed to using the Samsung apps?

Besides the selection of apps a box offers there are some different features across boxes but nothing huge especially for your task.

The biggest difference with a boxee is its ability to playback local content of yours from HDD or NAS or PC versus content from the net.

Other than that. They all do the same thing. Its just about the interface and whether box X has the services you want.

I think in your case the TV should get the job done if it has the services you want. Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and Amazon seem to be the most popular premium service apps.

Hard wire ethernet may or may not improve your performance but its always a good idea for reliabilty reasons if possible. 4.5M is not bad if its consistent but it also depends on your internet speed. Vudu can take advantage of higher speeds and I beleive netflix can too. so it makes a difference whether you have 1.5M, 5M, 20M Downstream for example. If you have 1.5M and you can get reliable 4.5M from your wifi then no problems. If you can get 20M down like I can and have services which can consume 6-10M then having a faster and/or more reliable network has benefits in better picture quality and less interruptions. For folks who can't run ethernet easily there is also powerline and moca adapters to consider if you find wifi is not up to the task.

I can generally watch an entire movie on netflix without a single hiccup. But overall streaming performance depends on so many variables. Trying to eliminate potential problems on the consumer side with a wired connection is always best IMO.

Sean
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page