What is the best file format for ripping Blu-rays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello to all

I just recently bought a blu-ray player a OPPO-BDP-95 to complimant my new TX-NR809 and I want to take full advantage of its video and audio codec qualities. by this i mean i would like to know what is the best file format to rippe blu-ray disc for streaming to this machine from my NAS that will use the video imaging of the player and the Audio quality of TRUEHD and DTS-Master Audio ?

Secondly I would like to be educated on this arena so could anybody do me the favor telling from highest to lowest in quality of file formats for blu-rays ripping or direct me to a list where i can see all the file formats for blu-ray ripping.

Thirdly i've have vistied many online website that offer software for blu-ray ripping to another disc or copying the disc or the one own HDD what would be the best software todo this with

my goal is to put the blu-ray movies i own on my NAS and stream them through my OPPO BDP-95

THanks for your time guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 02:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
First off, before asking what the "best" format is you need to understand what formats the OPPO-BDP-95 support. I don't own an Oppo so I cannot comment but I am sure you can research.

Now in general folks here usually rip Blu-rays to 2 formats, Blu-ray folder rip (which includes throwing into an ISO) or mkv. Both formats allow you to retain the unaltered audio/video so you can get a 1:1 of the original Blu-ray disc.

Once again though, I cannot comment on what type of support the Oppo provides for either of these.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I agree with dbone that the answer to the OP's question will be dictated by the formats his intended target will handle. Since the Oppo is a disk player first and not a media player it will be limited. You need to research that first.

Knowing the player capabilities, this question has come up quite frequently and recently in this forum and a large range of opinions have been offered. I recommend the OP do a search of the threads here.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just putting it out there that not everybody uses .mkv for single file rips.

Personally, I use .m2ts as it offers advantages to .mkv for my needs.

Anyway, your best bet is to read around here, ask questions, *then* spend an afternoon dinking with different scenarios to see what works best for you.

-Suntan
post #5 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:08 AM

Liked: 11
I agree with Suntan......the simplest and best effective way for all of my bluray rips is either .m2ts if the movie file is in one giant file or .iso if multiple .m2ts files.
I use AnyDvdHD, simple and quick.......1:1 copy of the .m2ts movie file
.iso of course gives you 1:1 of the entire disc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemonkey View Post

I agree with Suntan......the simplest and best effective way for all of my bluray rips is either .m2ts if the movie file is in one giant file or .iso if multiple .m2ts files.
I use AnyDvdHD, simple and quick.......1:1 copy of the .m2ts movie file
.iso of course gives you 1:1 of the entire disc

The only downsides of this:

- you lose chapters
- using the AnyDVDHD method means you need to have two separate protocols (if one big m2ts or a seamless branch)
- m2ts file ends up being larger because you are keeping all audio/subtitle tracks embedded

Just worth pointing out. Hopefully the OP sees there are several options and can choose what works best for his setup

Cheers,
Damian

post #7 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

- you lose chapters
- using the AnyDVDHD method means you need to have two separate protocols (if one big m2ts or a seamless branch)
- m2ts file ends up being larger because you are keeping all audio/subtitle tracks embedded

Just worth pointing out. Hopefully the OP sees there are several options and can choose what works best for his setup

dbone....very true on all counts
I have found AnyDvdHD the simplest and most effective, use the strategy of, if the movie is decent enough to keep I'll rip as .m2ts file, if blockbuster and one that I love and want everything than I rip as .iso

post #8 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

dbone....very true on all counts
I have found AnyDvdHD the simplest and most effective, use the strategy of, if the movie is decent enough to keep I'll rip as .m2ts file, if blockbuster and one that I love and want everything than I rip as .iso

Yeah, definitely not knocking your method. I actually prefer to use Clown_BD (with AnyDVD running in the background). Even for just a standalone m2ts this method will work for seamless branch or one big m2ts and allow you to remove the extras. When I first started ripping my Blu-rays I was doing the standalone ts, then moved on t o mkv, and now I think I have settled in with blu-ray folder rips (main movie only using Clown_BD)

Cheers,
Damian

post #9 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just for clarity, these limitations are not imposed by m2ts.

I use ClownBD to rip just the movie and main audio stream to m2ts with only forced subs (if they are present.) You don't have to keep all audio/sub streams with m2ts.

-Suntan
post #10 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I use ClownBD to rip just the movie and main audio stream to m2ts with only forced subs (if they are present.) You don't have to keep all audio/sub streams with m2ts.

-Suntan

hmmmmm, suntan now you've peaked my interest a bit re: ClownBD
can you tell me briefly the steps needed to choose that exact layout of movie, main audio with forced subs?
I may get a little wild and actually give this a spin

post #11 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

- you lose chapters

and forced subs dont work either on PCH's at least.

MKV is a better container if your player can support it properly.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

hmmmmm, suntan now you've peaked my interest a bit re: ClownBD
can you tell me briefly the steps needed to choose that exact layout of movie, main audio with forced subs?
I may get a little wild and actually give this a spin

Here is my wiki on CLown_BD

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Clown_BD

Cheers,
Damian

post #13 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

-Suntan

Correct, my comment was specific to PirateMonkey who was just using AnyDVD

Cheers,
Damian

post #14 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What he said.

-Suntan
post #15 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To the OP....here's a thread link here on AVS for the OPPO

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311806

Your inquiries are best posted there as current users will tell you what works best for them and how they stream....whether from the network or via attached storage. once you've determined the best file type and container, come back here and the good boys will let you know how to rip and encode the files. Good Luck

BTW.....I've looked into the OPPO and the whole DNLA thing isn't workin too good. Consider local storage via the eSATA port instead.
post #16 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM

To make MKV from BD through AnyDVD +ClownBD for your media player go with this tutorial :http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...n_bd-mkvmerge/

I am very happy with this, by checking one box it will create extra AC3 track if BD has only TruHD for example, most media players cannot play TrueHD and DTS HD MA. You mux everything into MKV. You can omit tracks you don't need, foreigner versions.
post #17 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinusss View Post

To make MKV from BD through AnyDVD +ClownBD for your media player go with this tutorial :http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...n_bd-mkvmerge/

I am very happy with this, by checking one box it will create extra AC3 track if BD has only TruHD for example, most media players cannot play TrueHD and DTS HD MA. You mux everything into MKV. You can omit tracks you don't need, foreigner versions.

Yup, that is my go to method for creating mkvs

Cheers,
Damian

post #18 of 22 Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinusss View Post

You mux everything into MKV. You can omit tracks you don't need, foreigner versions.

Honestly, who would ever delete a Foreigner track??

Seriouslty though, you can do all that too with m2ts. Also, m2ts can support the AC3 core track inside the TrueHD track, so if you have multiple media players and some only support the core audio, you don't need to have multiple tracks. This tends to improve WAF as they don't need to know about switching audio tracks at the player.

-Suntan
post #19 of 22 Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Honestly, who would ever delete a Foreigner track??

Seriouslty though, you can do all that too with m2ts. Also, m2ts can support the AC3 core track inside the TrueHD track, so if you have multiple media players and some only support the core audio, you don't need to have multiple tracks. This tends to improve WAF as they don't need to know about switching audio tracks at the player.

-Suntan
I have couple of WDTV Live plus , simple out to TV's . What about DTS MA, just peace on mind it is going to play back anywhere, that process of creating extra AC3 is there automated. If I hear nothing I simple change audio track .. I know nothing what it is going to be out there in years, licenses fights etc. :-)

I would use make MKV if it was automated too, I'd try couple of BD's, check the sync, and huray, but for now I'm happy with that Clown BD.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Dvd fab give a choice to have just the main movie and skips all the other crap u don't need, where anydvd ur stuck with the wjole movie. Fab give u options on which audio u want to keep also and Don't need thus keeping the file smaller into all kinds of formats. That's what i use and works awsome.

Yamaha HTR-8063
B&W DM-604
B&W CC6
B&W L1
Fluance AVBP2 Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers
Polk Audio PSW125 Sub
Klipsch AW-400 out door
post #21 of 22 Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andjayik View Post
Dvd fab give a choice to have just the main movie and skips all the other crap u don't need, where anydvd ur stuck with the wjole movie. Fab give u options on which audio u want to keep also and Don't need thus keeping the file smaller into all kinds of formats. That's what i use and works awsome.
Yeah, the equivalent of that from DVDFab is AnyDVD + Clown_BD (AnyDVD runs in the background so you are only using one program)

Cheers,
Damian

post #22 of 22 Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Yeah, the equivalent of that from DVDFab is AnyDVD + Clown_BD (AnyDVD runs in the background so you are only using one program)
That's true, I have both AnyDVD and DVDFab (long story) but I find using Fab as a single solution slightly quicker than using AnyDVD plus Clown BD. It's not much of an issue anymore since I only have to rip new titles as I get them but when I started out and had a large library to rip speed was possibly my biggest concern.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page