Roku vs Tivo! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys I hope I'm posting this on the right thread:
Long story short like many ppl I have grown tired of my current cable company's crap and I'm looking to just get me a decent HDTV antenna and drop them for good.

I've been looking to some of the most popular boxes to replace paid tv and pretty much I have come down to just 2 of them, in part because of their price and also due to their good streaming options.

I would really like to hear from owners of both of these devices to see what they have to say, I must mention that both pros and cons are welcome.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 429
They are two completely different classes of device. TiVo is a full-featured DVR with some token Internet and local media streaming capability. RoKu is a dedicated Internet media streamer with no DVR capability. They are not competitive but complimentary. Many people buy both. If you are going OTA and want a full-featured DVR for time-shifting, etc., you buy a TiVo. If you don't care about time-shifting OTA and want to stream, you buy a RoKu.

And if you want to do both, you buy both.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes like mentioned the Roku is a media streamer with Netflix.

The tivo is a DVR with many other features. It has netflix, Hulu on the new premier, Blockbuster on demand, Amazon, Pandora, Youtube to name a few.

People have also created a few other pieces of software that do different things:
1) Streambaby -A TiVo HME application for streaming videos

2) Kmttg - kmttg is a Perl/Tk program I wrote to facilitate TivoToGo (TTG) transfers that can download, create pyTivo metadata, decrypt, run comskip & comcut (commercial detection and removal) and re-encode multiple shows you select from your Tivos all in 1 step.

3) Pytivo - lets you stream most videos from your PC to your unhacked TiVo. It uses the HMO server protocol, so no hacking of the TiVo is required.

Galleon HME server (whole bunch of apps): http://galleon.tv
Subscribeable applications, games: http://apps.tv
AudioFaucet (control/stream itunes): http://www.digitaldroplet.net/

I use the 1st 3 items listed. Kmttg is nice in that I can setup shows to pull off the tivo and have them converted to a smaller file size and stored directly on my server. I only have to set this up for each show I want this done to and of course have that PC on for it to happen.

I dropped cable two years back...the only thing I miss is ESPN channels. Other than that most of the shows we watched were on regular TV so there was no reason to pay for cable.

I have been considering other options as well right now but not much else out there. There is Moxi as an alternative to Tivo but I don't know much about it. I know there are a few other solutions as well along the box style.

One other option I can think of is the HDHomeRun but then you need a PC and maybe sometype of media streamer to stream. I heard you can use a Popcorn Hour C200 as an extender with this. So it depends on what features you need/want. Downside with this last option is it doesn't have Netflix unless if you go with a HTPC up front.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys, just before checking the post again I thought about getting both or at least the Tivo first, I've heard tivo has the option to get internet video from websites as long as they have them on the rss feed, and I agree the roku has way more streaming content but I do like the tivo's DVR feature...
post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Check the specs on the new Tivo Premiere....looks awesome and would appear capable of doing even more than the specs currently list. If street prices hit under $400 i'll grab one for sure.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Check the specs on the new Tivo Premiere....looks awesome and would appear capable of doing even more than the specs currently list. If street prices hit under $400 i'll grab one for sure.

I'm concern about paying that much for a box like that, I mean imagine ppl who did a few years back and when the new versions come along your're stuck with you $500+ box and your Lifetime subscription which by the way is non transferable..yikes!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

I'm concern about paying that much for a box like that, I mean imagine ppl who did a few years back and when the new versions come along your're stuck with you $500+ box and your Lifetime subscription which by the way is non transferable..yikes!

Typically Lifetime is an investment. One that returns most of your money should you decide to punt. Upgrade your drive and often you can break even or make a few bucks if you get lucky (via eBay or whatnot). The new 4-tuner model drops OTA which isn't exactly expanding the feature set... at least in that direction.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Typically Lifetime is an investment. One that returns most of your money should you decide to punt. Upgrade your drive and often you can break even or make a few bucks if you get lucky (via eBay or whatnot). The new 4-tuner model drops OTA which isn't exactly expanding the feature set... at least in that direction.

Seriously? The new 4 tuner model gets rid of OTA tuners???!!! That is so retarded and definitely rules that out as a purchase for me!
post #9 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Seriously? The new 4 tuner model gets rid of OTA tuners???!!! That is so retarded and definitely rules that out as a purchase for me!

I suppose the $1000 price tag had nothing to do with that?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

You sell the box. The Lifetime subscription makes them valuable. I sold my S3/TiVoHD lifetime boxes to cover the cost of my Premieres. Now that the Elite has been announced, I plan on selling four of my Premieres with Lifetime service to cover the cost of two Elites with Lifetime service.
I will keep my Premiere with a monthly $6.95 TiVo Service. Since that cannot be transferred to another owner like Lifetime can and the box is worth less than $100 now.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page