I'll add another plug for Sonos. It's the sort of technology that once you have it set up you sort of wonder how you ever lived without it and why no one else makes a comparable product. Here's a list of some differentiating factors:
- Control any zone, including media source and volume from your iphone
- Link various zones so they play the same source
- Play media and playlists off your NAS and other PCs you have laying around
- Play flac, mp3, aac, audible, wav, aac, etc.
- Browse/listen extensive list of internet radio stations
- Play SiriusXM
- Play Pandora
- Stupid easy to set up. Stupid easy to keep running.
I was not a huge fan of internet radio or Pandora before getting Sonos but now I listen to them with some regularity. It's an endless process of discovery which is pretty cool.
Yeah Sonos is expensive, but the value is there. I honestly think they overcharge for the product and believe that if they found a way to cut the price in half they would easily sell 4x as much or more. Perhaps they are a capitol constrained company and they can't drive growth that would give them the scale to lower their manufacturing costs. Who knows.