Old 03-14-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post

What about the "video mode" in guest network 5ghz?

Video mode will be added but at a later release then other added features.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Yes it will be a free firmware update. Basically they should be adding the ReadyShare Cloud to the 4500. The Clear Channel will not be added though as I understand it it is more then software.

Bob

I bought the 4500 from best buy 2 days ago, set it up last night. The shipped firmware (70? I think) included ReadyShare Cloud, which was an awesome surprise, because I was really torn between the 4500 and 3800. The config web app says there is a newer fw available too, but I did not dl it yet.

As far as the 4500 overall, so far I can't make a single complaint. The test will be, how many times do I need to restart it between now and the end of my return window? Hopefully zero, that's my main reason for getting a new router. But the improved speeds are definitely nice, and the features seem to make it worth the price. Within 20 minutes, I was up and running with 2 LAN devices and 4 wireless, set up my network printer, network usb storage, cloud access, and DLNA server. It sounds like a lot but it was incredibly simple, a few clicks and checkboxes and that was it. These are also all things I had been meaning to do, so the 4500 was a great way to get it all done without building another pc. I have a feeling I will eventually want a true NAS on ethernet (once my digital library grows beyond my current 4 tb), but for now it works really well. I'm going to get one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121049
so I can run 2 2tb drives on the router's usb storage. Hope that's not too much for it.

Anyone have advice on how to tell if a given device supports 5Ghz or not? Both my laptop and phone claim wireless n, but only the laptop sees the 5Ghz network, which is blazingly fast. The network status shows it's connected at 216Mbps! And that's with only 2 channel support on the laptop, not 3. Same with my roku xds, I coulda sworn I read that it will do both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, but it only saw the 2.4 network. I guess I was under the impression that any wireless n device could use 2.4 or 5Ghz, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
^^^

The 5Ghz signal doesn't travel well.. penetration thru walls and such is poor compared to 2.4Ghz.
It could be that your roku is not getting a strong enough signal?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

I bought the 4500 from best buy 2 days ago, set it up last night. The shipped firmware (70? I think) included ReadyShare Cloud, which was an awesome surprise, because I was really torn between the 4500 and 3800. The config web app says there is a newer fw available too, but I did not dl it yet.

As far as the 4500 overall, so far I can't make a single complaint. The test will be, how many times do I need to restart it between now and the end of my return window? Hopefully zero, that's my main reason for getting a new router. But the improved speeds are definitely nice, and the features seem to make it worth the price. Within 20 minutes, I was up and running with 2 LAN devices and 4 wireless, set up my network printer, network usb storage, cloud access, and DLNA server. It sounds like a lot but it was incredibly simple, a few clicks and checkboxes and that was it. These are also all things I had been meaning to do, so the 4500 was a great way to get it all done without building another pc. I have a feeling I will eventually want a true NAS on ethernet (once my digital library grows beyond my current 4 tb), but for now it works really well. I'm going to get one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121049
so I can run 2 2tb drives on the router's usb storage. Hope that's not too much for it.

Anyone have advice on how to tell if a given device supports 5Ghz or not? Both my laptop and phone claim wireless n, but only the laptop sees the 5Ghz network, which is blazingly fast. The network status shows it's connected at 216Mbps! And that's with only 2 channel support on the laptop, not 3. Same with my roku xds, I coulda sworn I read that it will do both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, but it only saw the 2.4 network. I guess I was under the impression that any wireless n device could use 2.4 or 5Ghz, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

If your device is dual band you will see your 5ghz ssid. If you dont most likely it is not. Some Roku's have dual band but not all.

Later laptops are dual band and most Macs and iPads are.

I have not rebooted my 4500 in months. Nor my 3800 fort that matter so I think you will be happy.

Bob Silver
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new 4500.

One suggestion: Do not be in a hurry to upgrade the firmware. Unless there is something specific it provides or fixes for your situation, stick with your current firmware.

If you do upgrade the firmware, remember to only do it with a WIRED connection from the client to the router. (never flash firmware over a wireless connection)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

OK thanks. I have to take back what I said about ReadyCloud - it's not available on my 4500. I was confused because I found that I was able to do the same thing using the HTTPS (via internet) access method in the advanced usb storage settings, and using the link provided there - it points me right to my usb drive, from outside my network. I guess ReadyCloud is just a gussied up version of this?

On the plus side, my connection status on my laptop shows 243 Mbps!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since I was losing wireless on my WDNR3800 every few days anyway, I updated from .24 to .25 beta. I had to reboot within a few hours for wireless problems.
What is the status of fixing this?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Since I was losing wireless on my WDNR3800 every few days anyway, I updated from .24 to .25 beta. I had to reboot within a few hours for wireless problems.
What is the status of fixing this?

I have been informed that Netgear will be releasing a firmware update in the next few weeks. They are doing final testing now.

Bob Silver
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been informed that Netgear will be releasing a firmware update in the next few weeks. They are doing final testing now.

Bob Silver

Thanks, Bob, what is the best way to get notification of the new firmware?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Bob, what is the best way to get notification of the new firmware?

I will post here when I am notified. But you can always log into the router and have it check for new firmware.

But I am sure I will get a list of bug fixes etc when they are ready.

Bob
Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

While I was looking for the update button a message at the top said an update was ready and I am now at V1.0.0.32. It is too soon to tell if it did the job, but I would appreciate a list of fixes when you get it.

New Features and Enhancements:

Fixed - For 2.4G wireless connection, wireless client might be disconnected easily in heavy/noisy traffic environment.
Fixed router log issue (Stops collecting router logs after a few days.)
Enhances the NTFS file system write speed for ReadySHARE function.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

While I was looking for the update button a message at the top said an update was ready and I am now at V1.0.0.32. It is too soon to tell if it did the job, but I would appreciate a list of fixes when you get it.

New Features and Enhancements:

Fixed - For 2.4G wireless connection, wireless client might be disconnected easily in heavy/noisy traffic environment.
Fixed router log issue (Stops collecting router logs after a few days.)
Enhances the NTFS file system write speed for ReadySHARE function.

Will do. I just PM the engineers for the list. And I updated my 3800 too. So we will see.

Bob
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Will do. I just PM the engineers for the list. And I updated my 3800 too. So we will see.

Bob

Bob,
I am about to pull the trigger on a WNDR4500 to replace my aging router, but in my research I came across a review from a year ago concerning IPv6 support.
At that time, while the router performed as expected when feed a /64 IPv6-PD, it failed when it was supplied a /56. The review went on to say that Netgear had been informed of the issue and had stated they were working on a fix.

I've not been able to find anything more current either from independent testing or from Netgear that addresses the issue.

Would it be possible for you to, when checking on the current firmware fixes, to inquire about the IPv6-PD (prefix delegation) status too?

Thank you,
Earl
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrew View Post

Thanks for responding Bob. Here's the issue I'm having:

If I forward an external port to the same internal port, for example forwarding external port 12345 to port 12345 of one of the computers on my home network, things do indeed work fine.

However, if I forward external port 12345 to internal port 54321, it doesn't work at all.

Sorry to be a pest, but any news of a fix for this?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had success streaming blu-rays from the usb port on one of these? I do ok with dvd's, and some blu-rays are ok, but many will either have a funny noise when I play the 7.1 track, like a low repeating skipping sound, or have strange color/macroblock issues. If I switch to another audio track, sometimes I can fix the sound issue. I'm not sure, but it seems like possibly the bandwidth is just too low on the usb 2.0 port. I'm going to try putting the hdd inside another pc and see how it does that way, over the network but without the usb bottleneck, but in the meantime...

Has anyone else been able to do this, or am I barking up the wrong tree. Maybe if this just had usb 3.0 ports... I do have a gigabit ethernet network. Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrew View Post

Sorry to be a pest, but any news of a fix for this?

Thanks!

Port forwarding works fine. I have 6 different ports forwarded on my system. You need to have your device set to a static ip address to forward a port. Example if you forward incoming port 123456 you would then have it go to 168.1.1.x as example. Computers normally set up as a dynamic address.

But again I assure you this works fine on the 3700, 3800 qnd 4500 routers

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone had success streaming blu-rays from the usb port on one of these? I do ok with dvd's, and some blu-rays are ok, but many will either have a funny noise when I play the 7.1 track, like a low repeating skipping sound, or have strange color/macroblock issues. If I switch to another audio track, sometimes I can fix the sound issue. I'm not sure, but it seems like possibly the bandwidth is just too low on the usb 2.0 port. I'm going to try putting the hdd inside another pc and see how it does that way, over the network but without the usb bottleneck, but in the meantime...

Has anyone else been able to do this, or am I barking up the wrong tree. Maybe if this just had usb 3.0 ports... I do have a gigabit ethernet network. Thanks

Your problem is interesting in that your issue is with audio only. The usb ports on the Netgear routers are really to slow to support Bluray streaming IMHO. But usually what you get is stuttering in both video and audio.

That said given your result your issue maybe something else at play here. If your video is not breaking up or stuttering then the drive throughput is OK. I am sure if anything else were going on (such as other streaming) with the drive then you would certainly see issues.

But a good test would be to put the drive in a PC and see how that works.

In my case I use a Windows PC as my server. Dual Core 2+ ghz is really preferred for solid performance IMHO. That works best. I would not use any USB drive for streaming if I can avoid it. Just adds more overhead to the issue. Best just to use a sata drive or if external e-sata.

The gig net is nice but not a requirement though. Really best if you were to copy files but for streaming not needed.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Hi I am a wndr3400 user, i have two and use one has a bridge to extend the range.
Im thinking to buy a wndr4500 and problably i will need a bridge to extend the range to.
My question is I can use de wndr 3400 has a bridge for wndr4500 without lose the benefit of this new product or i need to buy two wndr 4500 for bridge to have full wireless benefit?
The 4500 is much better compared wndr3400 for wirelless?
Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicor View Post

Hi I am a wndr3400 user, i have two and use one has a bridge to extend the range.
Im thinking to buy a wndr4500 and problably i will need a bridge to extend the range to.
My question is I can use de wndr 3400 has a bridge for wndr4500 without lose the benefit of this new product or i need to buy two wndr 4500 for bridge to have full wireless benefit?
The 4500 is much better compared wndr3400 for wirelless?
Thanks.

Yes you can continue to use the 3400 as a bridge with the WNDR4500. The advantages of the 4500 over the 3400 is that the radio section is considerably better then the 3400. Also the 4500 is a 3X3 Radio design versus the 2X2 radio design of the 3400. What this means in reality is if you had a 3X3 radio client (which you dont as there are still ver7y few available today) using the 3400 as a bridge would not pass that benefit on. But since you do not utilze that capability you will lose nothing.

The 4500 has more powerful radios then the 3400 so range is better. You may find you dont even need your 3400 as a bridge at all. I would try it first without the bridge. If you find the 4500 doesnt give you the range you need then add the 3400. But I would use it as an access point if you can. This means you will need to have a hard wire connection for the access point 3400. If you not have that then the bridge mode is the right approach but any devices connected to it (the bridge) take a performance hit as the bridge has to repeat what the router is broadcasting.

So short answer is the 3400 will work with the 4500 without any issue as long as you are using standard 2x2 radio clients (which are most current laptops and devices today) If you had a 3x3 radio device you would just want to be sure you were connecting to the 4500 directly and not go through the bridge as you would lose the speed benefit of the 3x3 design.

Bob Silver
Negear AV Consultant
Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Would the WNHDE111 in bridge mode get any benefit from the 4000/4500/R6300 routers? I was under the impression it was 3x3, but I'm not sure if it could take advantage of that?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Hi Bob (and anyone else with any advice),
Which router would you recommend for a home (5500 sq ft) with a router in the basement and an access point on the second floor. The router in the basement would be hard wired to 2 internet TV's (one on the 1st floor and one in the basement) and another hard wired connection to the 2nd floor for an access point. For the router, would you use the 3800 or the 4500? Used mainly for webbrowsing, TV internet/video, etc. for multiple computers, Ipads, TV's, etc... We have multiple wireless phones in the house and a baby monitor as well. Also, any recs for the access points? I was thinking about the N300 access point.
Thanks for you advice and help.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingher View Post

Would the WNHDE111 in bridge mode get any benefit from the 4000/4500/R6300 routers? I was under the impression it was 3x3, but I'm not sure if it could take advantage of that?

To answer your question about bridge mode on the WNHDE111 the 3x3 routers you mention will have no impact. The 111 is a traditional 2x2 configuration and it is dual band operating in the 2.4g hz and 5 ghz bands. Of the routers you mentioned the 4500 and and R6300 have higher powered amplifiers then the 4000 so range will be better but that has no impact on the bridge. To date there are no 3x3 bridges that I am aware of.

Bob Silver
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc99 View Post

Hi Bob (and anyone else with any advice),
Which router would you recommend for a home (5500 sq ft) with a router in the basement and an access point on the second floor. The router in the basement would be hard wired to 2 internet TV's (one on the 1st floor and one in the basement) and another hard wired connection to the 2nd floor for an access point. For the router, would you use the 3800 or the 4500? Used mainly for webbrowsing, TV internet/video, etc. for multiple computers, Ipads, TV's, etc... We have multiple wireless phones in the house and a baby monitor as well. Also, any recs for the access points? I was thinking about the N300 access point.
Thanks for you advice and help.

Well either router 3800/4500 will work fine. From a UI standpoint there are few differences. From a technical standpoint there are several. The 4500 has higher powered amplifiers then the 3800 so it gets better coverage then the 3800. Also for what it is worth the chipset in the 4500 is the newest generation that Netgear is building on. It is also a 3x3 configuration so it is a bit more future proof then the 3800. But for what you mentioned it is a toss up.

The real item you need to adjust thining on is the access point. You want to match the access point with your routers. Both the 3800 and 4500 are dual band )2.4 g hz and 5 g hz). The N300 is only 2.4ghz. So if you want complete coverage you will not get any on the 5 g hz with the N300. So IMHO that is a bad choice.

Better would be using a 3800 as a router and 4500 as an access point. It is what I do. Or another option is use a 3800/4500 as the router and buy a 3700 and use it as the access point. The net is you want a dual band device as an access point not a single band device like an N300.

Bob Silver
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Hello I need some informed info. I need to purchase a dual band concurrent or dual band simultaneous router as required by by Internet provider. They no longer offer wireless. I have read your comparisons of the 3800 vs the 4500. I live in the country with lots of trees and my wireless cell signal sucks. I have a MacBook and a samsung netbook and an iPhone 4S and a Wii that I watch Netflix and huluplus. Which in your educated opinion would be the better choice. Or is there another brand that is dual band concurrent/ simultaneous. The Netgear 3800 and 4509 were the two that Charter recommended. Help please. Thank you.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassynana7 View Post

Hello I need some informed info. I need to purchase a dual band concurrent or dual band simultaneous router as required by by Internet provider. They no longer offer wireless. I have read your comparisons of the 3800 vs the 4500. I live in the country with lots of trees and my wireless cell signal sucks. I have a MacBook and a samsung netbook and an iPhone 4S and a Wii that I watch Netflix and huluplus. Which in your educated opinion would be the better choice. Or is there another brand that is dual band concurrent/ simultaneous. The Netgear 3800 and 4509 were the two that Charter recommended. Help please. Thank you.

Your comment about the trees is confusing to me. You plan to use the router indoors? Or are you looking for outdoor coverage?

Since I wrote this post Netgear has introduced several newer routers. My suggestion today would be the WNDR4500. That may be the 4509 you listed but in your country model designation. The other routers I would look at are the R6250 (just released) and the R6300. While these are AC based routers they are excellent N routers too. The 3 (4500, 6250, 6300) all use higher powered RF amps and multiple radios. These are the best routers Netgear offers today.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Port forwarding works fine. I have 6 different ports forwarded on my system. You need to have your device set to a static ip address to forward a port. Example if you forward incoming port 123456 you would then have it go to 168.1.1.x as example. Computers normally set up as a dynamic address.

But again I assure you this works fine on the 3700, 3800 qnd 4500 routers

Bob Silver

Netgear AV Consultant

I think the question was about port translation...

DHCP can be left on if a reservation is set.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new 4500.

One suggestion: Do not be in a hurry to upgrade the firmware. Unless there is something specific it provides or fixes for your situation, stick with your current firmware.

If you do upgrade the firmware, remember to only do it with a WIRED connection from the client to the router. (never flash firmware over a wireless connection)

+1
If everything works fine. Don't upgrade your firmware. You never know what new bugs may get introduced. I used to have a 3700, Netgear was creating as many bugs as they were fixing on that model. eek.gif