Comparison of new Netgear WNDR3800 and WNDR4500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Netgear announced and released the new WNDR4500 N900 Dual Band router today. This coming on the heels of shipping the previously announced WNDR3800 router early this month of September. What I hope to do in this thread is help explain the differences between these two high end routers and where they best fit from an application standpoint.

I have already written a review of the 3800 and would suggest folks who are new to this thread read that review for more indepth information about that router. The link to my 3800 review is http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353236. Readers may also wish to check out the thread comparing the 3800 to the Netgear WNDR4000 N750 router here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1323800 .

So let me start with the newest of the pack the WNDR4500.N900

The WNDR4500 is the next iteration of the WNDR4000 utilizing the latest in 3 radio technology. What I mean by 3 radio technology is this. The 802.11 N standard and technology allows a maximum bandwidth of up to 150mbs per radio. When you add 2 radios you get 300mbs and when you add 3 you get 450mbs. When you add dual bands 2.4ghz and 5ghz with multiple radios you get the combination of the 2.

In the WNDR4000 router the 2.4ghz band had 3 radios for 450mbs max plus the 5ghz band had 2 radios for an additional 300mbs for a maximum bandwidth of 750mbs or called N750.
The 4500 expands on the 4000 by adding a third radio to the 5ghz band giving the 4500 a maximum bandwidth of 900mbs or called N900.

This new 3 radio technology is the latest in pushing the wireless boundaries of bandwidth. Wireless still does not come close to wired connections but these technologies are beginning to approach performance one would expect from a wire.

But to take advantage of this new technology one must have a compatible 3 radio client on a laptop or other wireless device. To date there is nothing that is mainstream in the marketplace that has this as of yet. But we can all assume that if you are planning on buying a new laptop in the months and certainly years ahead it will likely have this capability.

Netgear has done somethings very different with the 4500 though and I want to point this out. Recognizing that there are very few 3 radio devices in the world today Netgear decided to very cleverly build in added capability to the 4500. This new capability allows the 4500 to use it's 6 radios independently to allow greater total throughput for multiple clients. What I mean is this. Even though your laptop may have a single band 2 radios N300 client and you have 2 other similar laptops operating in your house simultaneously the 4500 has smarts built into it to allocate the 3 radios independently among the various clients. What this means in my example is that each laptop would use it's own radio within the 4500 providing the maximum bandwidth that particular radio can provide based on range, interference etc.

This approach that Netgear has taken for the 4500 makes the most of this multi radio technology. Allowing older wireless clients to take advantage of the added throughput of multiple radios. And just to be clear with this. You dont get faster speeds by device. You get great data bandwidth as a total if you have multiple devices operating simultaneously.

Additionally the 4500 has higher power amplifiers then the 3800 has. This will add to improved range for any device that connects to it. So this is particularly important for those with larger homes or looking for outdoor as well as indoor coverage. Per the specs the amplifiers are 24 dbm on wndr3800 vs. 29 dbm on wndr4500. That 5dbm difference is significant. Also the receive amplifiers on the 4500 are lower noise then there are on the 3800 so clients that have weaker wifi signals will still be heard by the 4500 where they might not be by a 3800.

Other aspects of the 4500 that are new are it has 2 usb ports . While one could add a usb hub to the 3800 as an example this is much cleaner. But functionally it is the same. The second new aspect of the 4500 is it has slightly faster usb performance. It is faster in the 10-15% range according to the Netgear Product Manager

Similar to the 3800 the 4500 does support printer sharing. It also supports the new Genie Dashboard and UI as found in the 3800.

Now compared to the 3800 what doesnt the 4500 have. It does not support ReadyShare Cloud. Today only the 3800 supports this. Will Netgear add this to the 4500 in the future you are probably thinking? I dont know. MY guess is probably but since RaeadyShare Cloud is so new they will want to make sure they work all the kinks out before adding it to other products.

The 4500 does not support Clear Channel. Clear Channel is an enterprise technology that helps unclog congested 2.4ghz wifi band. This is very import in crowded areas like apartments and urban areas where you are surrounded by many wifi signals. You might think well doesn't the 3 radio aspect of the 4500 help in that too> I suspect it would but it would be a different way to solve the problem. I have not had discussions with Netgear on this but will plan to do so and report back.

The 4500 also does not support Apple Time Machine and Tivo support as well as not including the dedicated Video Mode on the 5ghz band that the 3700 and the 3800 both have.

So now is the ultimate question. Which one of these routers should I buy? And why wouldn't Netgear make one product that has it all!

Let me start with the question of which you should buy if you need a router today. It depends on your application and need.

The 4500 is best if your primary application is data. Laptops running web browsers, email, web content, copying and sharing files, etc. Traditional PC centric application. The 3 radio technology will allow you to get more through the wireless net the way Netgear designed this product.

Also because of the improved amplifiers in the 4500 the range you may need is a huge decision factor. If you need a devices with the best range then the choice is simply the 4500.

If range is not paramount and the feature set of the 3800 is important with ReadyShare Cloud, Video Mode on the 5ghz band along with Time Machine and/or Tivo support the choice becomes obvious. You need the 3800. The 3800 also maximizes the current technology with Clear Channel. While I cant definitively say which is a better choice Clear Channel or the 3 radio approach of the 4500 I can say that Clear Channel is a proven approach used by enterprise brought to the masses by Netgear's WNDR3800.

For me I am sticking with the 3800. I really like the feature set the 3800 offers and the way it operates. It has also been performing quite well in my home. I also usually don't have more then 2 pc's using wireless for file copy at any one time so the 4500 benefit wouldn't help me. And I do a lot of video over wireless and have set up a dedicated video network for this purpose with the video mode of the 3800. This is something I do not want to give up.

So my simple choice summary is this. If web, mail, pc data is your primary application on a wifi net then the 4500 is the best choice. If you do a combination of video, media and data and live in an urban area and the added range the 4500 would provide is not needed then the 3800 would be best for you.

And let me answer why Netgear didnt just build one product with it all? Different technologies. The 3800 and 4500 are completely different beasts. Blending everything into one product would have dramatically drawn out the development cycle. Over time I am sure we will see a product that blends the features of the 3800 with the technology of the 4500 but it wasnt happening today. So we have both. Either way you really cant go wrong.

I look forward to your comments, questions and feedback. Netgear Product Managers watch these threads regularly so your voices are heard.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bob I think you pointed out some good info on this. I am going to stick with the 3800 as well because of the clear channel and video streaming I do. I also had started this page for more info - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1360353.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #3 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm currently considering the 3800, and hoped you could answer this.

A couple months back I switched from Uverse to Comcast. With Uverse, their STB has a working Ethernet port in the back for MOCA networking. I used this to great effect for my Boxee and other connected devices in the home.

Now, Comcast does not offer a "hot" ethernet port, but does supply a low end Wireless router. (WNDR1000v2) This has proven insufficient in some respects, and I'm starting to think about upgrading the router.

How much of a performance boost would I see with the 3800 or 4000 WITHOUT an additional wireless bridge to take advantage of the 450 standard? Like just using the internal Boxee wireless N, or the internal wireless N on my laptop? Will it still be a good upgrade over the WNDR1000v2 I'm using, or will I not see any real performance boost without a bridge/adapter capable of 450?
post #4 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Any idea how many DHCP reservations you can make. That is one thing I don't like about my Dlink DGL4500. It only has a DHCP reservation limit of 24. The previous model I had could reserve much more.
I'm thinking about replacing my Dlink sometime in the next six months and I would like something that has around 50 DHCP reservations. although ideally I would like something that could have at least 70 or more reservations.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Any idea how many DHCP reservations you can make. That is one thing I don't like about my Dlink DGL4500. It only has a DHCP reservation limit of 24. The previous model I had could reserve much more.
I'm thinking about replacing my Dlink sometime in the next six months and I would like something that has around 50 DHCP reservations. although ideally I would like something that could have at least 70 or more reservations.

DHCP addresses are completely flexible. You can decide where and when it ends. In my case anything below 100 I use as fixed. And between 101 - 250 I leave for DHCP. But you can make it what you want.

Bob
post #6 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

I'm currently considering the 3800, and hoped you could answer this.

A couple months back I switched from Uverse to Comcast. With Uverse, their STB has a working Ethernet port in the back for MOCA networking. I used this to great effect for my Boxee and other connected devices in the home.

Now, Comcast does not offer a "hot" ethernet port, but does supply a low end Wireless router. (WNDR1000v2) This has proven insufficient in some respects, and I'm starting to think about upgrading the router.

How much of a performance boost would I see with the 3800 or 4000 WITHOUT an additional wireless bridge to take advantage of the 450 standard? Like just using the internal Boxee wireless N, or the internal wireless N on my laptop? Will it still be a good upgrade over the WNDR1000v2 I'm using, or will I not see any real performance boost without a bridge/adapter capable of 450?

I am not sure what you are asking relative to a bridge. Do you mean a wireless/wired bridge that extends your wireless range?

If range is your question then purchase a 4500. It probably has the best range of any router out there based on it's upgraded amplifiers without the need of adding range boosters or other access points to extend the wifi coverage map in your home.

Bob
post #7 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

No, what I mean is this. Will I see a benefit connecting to this router with the Boxee Box off its internal Wireless N adapter? The thing is, I could afford a new router, but I could NOT afford a new router, plus an additional router as a bridge. Now I KNOW the Boxee's Wireless-N isn't 450mbps capable, but would I still see a definite benefit with a more powerful router than my current WNDR1000v2?
post #8 of 177 Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post
This new 3 radio technology is the latest in pushing the wireless boundaries of bandwidth. Wireless still does not come close to wired connections but these technologies are beginning to approach performance one would expect from a wire.

But to take advantage of this new technology one must have a compatible 3 radio client on a laptop or other wireless device. To date there is nothing that is mainstream in the marketplace that has this as of yet. But we can all assume that if you are planning on buying a new laptop in the months and certainly years ahead it will likely have this capability.
Bob, thanks so, SO much for this wonderful comparison. I just bought the 3800, installed it the other night, then the next day come to find out that the 4500 had been released, to my dismay. I'm considering returning the 3800 for the 4500, but I do like the thing you said about the 5G video network on the 3800, which may well be useful (especially with my future iPad, and current FaceTime/Skype video chat on my MBPro).

I won't be using the Printer Sharing, Time Machine, TiVo features, and probably not the USB/Cloud especially if they start charging for it. I live in a small studio apartment in a huge apartment building, so I dunno if the extra 4500 bandwidth would really benefit in my 20'x13' space. But it would probably be great for future-proofing my investment. No?

Please, expound on the 3 radio thing. I just bought a new (early 2011) MacBook Pro, which I do believe has a built-in 3 radio wireless component (a Broadcom 3x3, to be exact). Is this not compatible with the 3 radios in the WNDR4500, that you spoke of?

Again, I (and I'm sure everyone here) appreciates all the insight you bring to these products! Thanks again!
post #9 of 177 Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytim View Post

Bob, thanks so, SO much for this wonderful comparison. I just bought the 3800, installed it the other night, then the next day come to find out that the 4500 had been released, to my dismay. I'm considering returning the 3800 for the 4500, but I do like the thing you said about the 5G video network on the 3800, which may well be useful (especially with my future iPad, and current FaceTime/Skype video chat on my MBPro).

I won't be using the Printer Sharing, Time Machine, TiVo features, and probably not the USB/Cloud especially if they start charging for it. I live in a small studio apartment in a huge apartment building, so I dunno if the extra 4500 bandwidth would really benefit in my 20'x13' space. But it would probably be great for future-proofing my investment. No?

Please, expound on the 3 radio thing. I just bought a new (early 2011) MacBook Pro, which I do believe has a built-in 3 radio wireless component (a Broadcom 3x3, to be exact). Is this not compatible with the 3 radios in the WNDR4500, that you spoke of?

Again, I (and I'm sure everyone here) appreciates all the insight you bring to these products! Thanks again!

Thanks for your kind words.

Given what you describe I think you are better off with the 3800. The Clear Channel will be more important then anything based on your living situation. The 4500 will get you better range (which you dont need) and as far as the Mac no I believe it is just Dual Band. So you will benefit using the 5ghz band for it and your high bandwidth media devices.

iPads BTW are also Dual Band and my wife and I use our 5ghz net for our ipads, ATV and Macbooks. Everything else is on 2.4ghz.

As far as ReadyShare Cloud IF Netgear charges for it it will be less then $5 a year. But I dont think they will given the current converstaions. They have a higher revenue stream from the IOS app and Andriod app sale potential.

So once again I think the 3800 is right for you. I am very happy with mine.

Bob
post #10 of 177 Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

No, what I mean is this. Will I see a benefit connecting to this router with the Boxee Box off its internal Wireless N adapter? The thing is, I could afford a new router, but I could NOT afford a new router, plus an additional router as a bridge. Now I KNOW the Boxee's Wireless-N isn't 450mbps capable, but would I still see a definite benefit with a more powerful router than my current WNDR1000v2?

OK I understand what you are now referring to. Here is your issue. The Boxee Box only has a 2.4ghz radio in it. As such if you have g devices or slow n devices the network throttles to accommodate them. For the best wireless option you really want to be on the 5ghz band but that isnt an option in stock mode. So here are my thoughts.

If your current router is dual band you could buy a 3800 and use the existing router as an Access Point / Bridge on the 5ghz band. If not then I would look at maybe a Power Line solution for the Boxee connected to your existing router. Powerline when it works will give you better bandwidth then wireless. It depends on your power line noise and connections though.

Other thoughts are trying the new 4500 router. With it's approach with 3 radio splitting among multiple devices it may be a big improvement. But since you cant manually make one radio talk with one devices it may vary. So it is a crap shoot.

If your issue is range and signal strength then the 4500 is definitely your answer. But given what you said I dont think that is your problem.

So in summary I would try Powerline first if your existing router is working fine. If that will not work for you then you can do the bridge / access point with your existing router if it is dual band. If it isnt no point in that.

Then your last option is to buy a 3800 and some type of 5ghz bridge and use the 3800 5ghz band with Video Mode turned on.

It is a shame the Boxee opted to cheap out on the wireless option. Would have made this much easier.

Bob
post #11 of 177 Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM

Thanks a lot for the information Bob, it is very much appreciated. I think the 3800 is the one for me.
post #12 of 177 Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Bob. That does answer my question. I was also considering going with a MOCA system, that might be the better choice.
post #13 of 177 Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Bob,

I posted this on another thread, but I thought it would be more appropriate in this comparison thread between the two router that I'm concern about.

What is your recommendation?

Here is my day to day activities:

*I just want a stable router for wired (work related) connected to two desktop.
*a lot of wireless iphone, tablet, printer, several LED TV, ps3 are going to be active
*I do have the new Mac Pro laptop using wireless
*several other laptop using wireless too
*would like to start streaming video a Xtreamer media player with wireless N adapter to the TV..currently streaming from a local hard-drive attached to the media player.
*i don't do too many file transfers from one computer to another computer

And I have Ooma VOIP phone connected via wire to my ATT Uverse router. I noticed that when I'm using the phone while downloading, the phone becomes choppy. Which model is best to overcome this (if any)?

Also, I noticed that the 4500 has 128MB of memory vs. 16MB for the 3800. That is a huge difference...

Since 4500 is an upgrade to the 4000, I ready so many negative reviews about the 4000 at neweggs and amazon about constant disconnect I'm afraid of the 4500 since some review is reporting that the 4500 is losing connection via wired.

Thanks in advance. I have the 3800 in hand, but I haven't opened it up yet...waiting for your recommendation I don't mind spending extra for a faster and more future proof router. I'm hoping my next router won't be for another 4+ years or so

============================

I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm receiving the 3800 today, but after hearing about the 4500...should I return it and wait for the 4500?

I just want a stable router with strong wireless reception for both N and B/G. Currently, i'm using a old linksys router and it has been very stable. The house is about 2000 sq ft. The Sony LED is wireless with N I think.

current componets using wireless:
*Sony LED with wireless N
*PS3 with wireless G
*XBOX360 with wireless G I think
*several iphone
*printer using wireless
*several laptop with wireless G
*media player with wireless N
*several tablet with wireless N

Should I stick with 3800? I don't believe I have any adapter that can meet the 450 speed.
post #14 of 177 Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Bob,

First of all, thanks for the detailed comparison... very useful. I have two question for you. What is the make and speed of the CPU processor in the WNDR4500? If it turns out to be slower than the WNDR3800, why do you think that would be? I've read on some sites the processors sometimes turn out to be bottleneck for some routers.

Thanks,

Mike
post #15 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

This is from the two Wikis of the devices

WNDR3800
CPU1: Atheros AR7161 (680 MHz)
FLA1: 16 MB (Brand? Model?)
RAM1: 128 MB (Brand? Model?)

WNDR4500
CPU1: Broadcom BCM4718 (480 MHz)

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #16 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM

I've been running a WNDR3800 for the past week and everything is working very well. It replaced a Linksys WRT54GL that worked flawlessly for years, but suddenly started requiring frequent power cycling.

--Range is very good, especially on the 2.4 GHz network. I have it installed in a corner of my four bedroom home and the signal is strong enough to use anywhere in my house. My former Linksys WRT54GL was barely useable from my garage (the only problem spot for my home), but the WNDR3800 has improved that.

--Connected 8 wireless devices (laptops, BD player, e-readers, and game console. Everything is working fine and I haven't had to reboot the router.
post #17 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input, I'm currently running the same Linksys as well.

I have been reading the 3800 series in the Netgear forum and a lot of complaints about drop connection. I heard it's a known issue and a beta patch .19 resolved the issue.

Did you encounter the same issue with drop connections?

I'm still debating if I should go with 3800 or 4500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graym View Post

I've been running a WNDR3800 for the past week and everything is working very well. It replaced a Linksys WRT54GL that worked flawlessly for years, but suddenly started requiring frequent power cycling.

--Range is very good, especially on the 2.4 GHz network. I have it installed in a corner of my four bedroom home and the signal is strong enough to use anywhere in my house. My former Linksys WRT54GL was barely useable from my garage (the only problem spot for my home), but the WNDR3800 has improved that.

--Connected 8 wireless devices (laptops, BD player, e-readers, and game console. Everything is working fine and I haven't had to reboot the router.

post #18 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I had some random drops yesterday for my internet connection. So not sure if that is what your are making a reference to. Other than that mine has been stable so it could have been my provider.

Just read the post over at netgear forum and that was the issue I was having...odd though it took a week to happen.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #19 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

yep, any internet drop is bad. the connection should be on 24/7 unless issue on the ISP side.

I'm glad there is a fix for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I had some random drops yesterday for my internet connection. So not sure if that is what your are making a reference to. Other than that mine has been stable so it could have been my provider.

Just read the post over at netgear forum and that was the issue I was having...odd though it took a week to happen.

post #20 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

yep, any internet drop is bad. the connection should be on 24/7 unless issue on the ISP side.

I'm glad there is a fix for it.

I received my WNDR3800 on Tuesday I experienced DNS issue a couple of times and had to reboot. I loaded the patch this morning and it has been stable. I'm very pleased that Netgear isolated the problem and quickly responded with a fix. I don't want to boot up my WRT54G the WNDR3800 replaced. I proactively rebooted the Linksys once a week just to keep my sanity.
post #21 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The downside to the fix is my backup file wouldn't restore so I have to redo everything again - yikes.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #22 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

so, is the Atheros CPU chip better than Broadcom?

Looks like some mistypos on some website, stating that the 4500 series has FLA1 listed as 128MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

This is from the two Wikis of the devices

WNDR3800
CPU1: Atheros AR7161 (680 MHz)

WNDR4500
CPU1: Broadcom BCM4718 (480 MHz)

post #23 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have had the 3800 running for about a week, the last three days 24 hours/day. Had an issue of my Dell notebook wireless utility conflicting with the Genie application only - disconnects from the LAN - but resolved once the utility was disabled in Services.msc. (thanks again cburbs!)

My 3800 has a notebook and a Roku 2 XS on the network. All are happy and no issues with connections or conflicts. It works as expected so far.

I wonder if the people with problems bought them from the same vendor who received a shipment from a bad batch or if this is a systemic issue. Mine was from Buy.com. Or could it be a software/process conflict like my issue with the Genie application (not the browser GUI Genie).
post #24 of 177 Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have decided to keep the 3800 since I won't be able to utilize the 450 Mbps speed anyway.

So far so good. I updated the x.19DNS patch immediately during the initial setup.

All the wireless is working so far. I created 3 different SID name for different purpose.

My sister commented about her MAC with N network is fast while loading up the webpage. I did noticed the tablet browser webpage was loading up faster than before.

SID name for 2.4 mode:
*iphone
*wireless printer
*laptop

Different SID name for N mode:
*tablet
*MAC laptop

Different SID name for Video mode:
*Sony LED
*Oppo blu-ray player
post #25 of 177 Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM
M4P

I have the WNDR4500. I need to say that I was a beta tester and did not pay for the router. With that being said, I think the router is great. I used to get 2, maybe 3, bars in my basement and the signal would say go from "poor" to "good". Now with the WNDR4500 I am getting a full 5 bars down my basement with signal indicating "excellent". This is on the 2.4 Ghz band. The 5 Ghz band is not quite as good, but from what I have read, it's hard to get good signal on the 5 Ghz band anyway. Although the signal didn't show as many bars on the 5 Ghz band, performance was still great.

I mainly use wireless to stream to my bluray player and my tv. Streaming is fast and smooth with no stuttering. The built in Readyshare DNLA server works well. I plugged a 500 Gb external hard drive into the router and streamed movies to my bluray player.

I also tested the router with a laptop that has the Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wifi card which has the 3 antennas and is rated for 450 Mbps. The WNDR4500 did excellent with it.

I have not experienced any dropped connections or other problems with the WNDR4500.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
post #26 of 177 Old 09-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

I have the WNDR4500. I need to say that I was a beta tester and did not pay for the router.

Sounds good. I wanna be a beta tester too!!
post #27 of 177 Old 09-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Hi Bobsilver, thanks for the article. I'm deciding between the 3800 and the 4500. I have a few questions i'm hoping can answer:

1. what is the difference between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands? why would you choose one or the other? do they each have different applications?

2. Right now I have the SA8300HD PVR box and its only a matter of time before I switch to the 8642 which has a network port. which router would be best for it and how would I use this 8642 with the router?

3. can the 4500 also do video streaming?

4. is there a difference between the two routers if using a wired connection?
post #28 of 177 Old 10-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

I used to own original WNDR3700 and it wasn't great where I was never getting a signal on the second floor in 5Ghz band and weak 2.4Ghz. I am currently on Asus RT-N56U which is awesome in 5Ghz band, but 2.4Ghz is just ok, so I am curious if anyone knows if WNDR4500 would be any better in both aspects.

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #29 of 177 Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMEZ68 View Post

Bob,

First of all, thanks for the detailed comparison... very useful. I have two question for you. What is the make and speed of the CPU processor in the WNDR4500? If it turns out to be slower than the WNDR3800, why do you think that would be? I've read on some sites the processors sometimes turn out to be bottleneck for some routers.

Thanks,

Mike

4500 and 3800 completely different animals. The added radios in the 4500 require more processing ergo the need for a faster processor. Day to day between the 2 you will not see a difference. It is all internal.

Bob
post #30 of 177 Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post

I used to own original WNDR3700 and it wasn't great where I was never getting a signal on the second floor in 5Ghz band and weak 2.4Ghz. I am currently on Asus RT-N56U which is awesome in 5Ghz band, but 2.4Ghz is just ok, so I am curious if anyone knows if WNDR4500 would be any better in both aspects.

Yes the 4500 enhances range on both the 2.4 and 5g n bands. They way Netgear did the radio design is unique and will either enhance speed if you have a 3x3 client or enhance range if you have a standard wifi client 1x1 or 2x2.

Bob
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page