PCH A110, issues with NAS and USB DAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My PCH A110 can no longer play video files from my Synology DS411J NAS. I can browse the video directory and see every sub-folder and file without issue (I use file view, not a jukebox), but attempting to play results in a error message "[!] can not play". Sometimes it will flash the message several times before returning to file view. It's not a file type issue, I can play the files from an attached USB thumbdrive or HDD dock. And this is a recent development, I had no issues a little over a week ago.

So I figure it must be either the NAS or my network. I had just swapped out my cable modem a few days before but I don't see how that could be the problem, especially since these issues didn't manifest until a few days later. Since then I've upgraded the firmware on the A110 (I was one version behind) to the most recent, and upgraded the Synology from DSM 3.1 to 3.2. My router is an Apple Airport Extreme (firmware is current) and the NAS is connected directly. The A110 is connected to the network via a Buffalo wireless N hub. Also connected to the hub are a PS3 and Squeezebox Touch, which have no network issues. The hub is about 30ft from the router with only one wall in-between, and since the A110 was able to download the latest firmware via the hub, I'm inclined to think I don't have network issues, so it must be the NAS.

That is the extent of my troubleshooting so far. I probably have a few hours of Googling and forum trudging ahead of me. Unfortunately I'm not very knowledgeable of my NAS yet, or NAS's in general. I bought it two months ago as it had good reviews and an extensive feature set. Frankly, I was totally surprised that after I installed the DSM software, enabled Media Server (assuming it uses DLNA but really have no clue), and loaded some video files, that the A110 was able to see it in the Source menu and immediately begin playing. I thought I would have to manually enable SMB or NFS or some other protocol, but I literally did almost nothing other than plugging it in.

Sorry this is getting long, just trying to be thorough. And I'm not done yet. If anyone has any advice or troubleshooting help to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

I have one more problem. I have a Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 USB 4-bay enclosure loaded with four Samsung F4 2TB drives full of my Blu Ray rips. It's not a RAID or JBOD (concat) device, just four separate volumes. I want to use a direct attached USB drive since I don't think a wireless network would be able to handle the bandwidth necessary for BR rips. I was using a HDD dock and swapping out drives, which worked without issue but was not ideal. The problem: the A110 does not recognize the Mediasonic device and throws an error message "USB Failed". I've read that this device works with the PCH A210 (which I plan on buying once Amazon gets stock) and the Dunes (which I've also considered). I can't find any info anywhere if it works, or should work, with the A110 though. I'm guessing the A110 simply cannot see four drives on a single USB port, in which case I'm back to using the dock until I get the A210.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
correction / clarification:
When I swapped out my cable modem I also re-booted my router and NAS. The PS3 and Squeezebox continued to work fine afterwards, but now that I think about it further I'm pretty sure that is when the A110 stopped playing from the NAS.
The PS3 is only used to play discs and Netflix and never plays files from the NAS. The Squeezebox does play files from the NAS but it uses it's own Squeezecenter software not the built-in Media Server software. So some combination of re-booting the router and NAS / Media Server software at the same time has caused the A110 to no longer play nice with the NAS.
Clear as mud now.