AIOS HD MC by Pivos, any one? 1185? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 127 Old 10-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
really look forward to see review on web browser performance, if it support flash? if so i can replace my old HTPC with this more modern box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 127 Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 AM

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi..._media_centre/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibanrhino View Post

really look forward to see review on web browser performance, if it support flash? if so i can replace my old HTPC with this more modern box.

post #33 of 127 Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Liked: 13
For anyone who owns this Pivos AIOS Media Player, is the fan loud or noisey? And does the hard drive you put inside, cause it to vibrate and make noise?

I've read a couple complaints about it, but was wondering if more people have the noises. I was tempted to get this, but the noise might bother me.

I read one post where the person wished the tray had some kind of rubber bumpers in it to stop the drive vibrating to the rest of the case.
post #34 of 127 Old 10-12-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc17 View Post

For anyone who owns this Pivos AIOS Media Player, is the fan loud or noisey? And does the hard drive you put inside, cause it to vibrate and make noise?

I've read a couple complaints about it, but was wondering if more people have the noises. I was tempted to get this, but the noise might bother me.

I read one post where the person wished the tray had some kind of rubber bumpers in it to stop the drive vibrating to the rest of the case.

No vibration from my WD green harddrive.
I have watched several movies, I haven't heard the fan yet.
post #35 of 127 Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 PM

At the price-point, Aios seems very well equipped. Only question for me is UI speed and usability, as Realtek 1185 is not the quickest CPU around.

PCH C-200 transport, Pro-Ject DAC, SE tube amp, Fostex full-range speakers
post #36 of 127 Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijenjas View Post

No vibration from my WD green harddrive.
I have watched several movies, I haven't heard the fan yet.

Some people have really sensitive ears... the media players I own have fans in them but sounds quite to me, but other owners have stated that it sounds loud to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgreen View Post

At the price-point, Aios seems very well equipped. Only question for me is UI speed and usability, as Realtek 1185 is not the quickest CPU around.

I agree... at that price point there are not many other media players currently available with that comprehensive file format support. Of course usability, stability, and which stated/marketed features is important and working for the user is important. It seems the team at Pivos is responsive to the customers which is always a plus for any company.

The closest competitor at $99 is the new WDTV Live (2011) with the Sigma 8670 chipset

Cheers!

Cameron
post #37 of 127 Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 AM

I'm seriously considering picking up one of these. I wonder if they will eventually improve the looks of the UI.
post #38 of 127 Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigteacher View Post

I'm seriously considering picking up one of these. I wonder if they will eventually improve the looks of the UI.

Apparantly you can flash it with Xtreamer's new 3.0 firmware...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #39 of 127 Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post

Do you have a link?
post #40 of 127 Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

Do you have a link?

Here you go... report back here and tell me and everyone how it goes!

http://pivos-aios.wikidot.com/forum/...d#post-1277142

Cheers!

Cameron
post #41 of 127 Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 AM

I did order this from Amazon with free shipping, but regret having ordered from Amazon. Amazon is incredibly slow shipping out a package, then they ship it by smart post which I only found out after complaining to them. I see that NCIX offers free express shipping for the same price.
post #42 of 127 Old 10-15-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I did order this from Amazon with free shipping, but regret having ordered from Amazon. Amazon is incredibly slow shipping out a package, then they ship it by smart post which I only found out after complaining to them. I see that NCIX offers free express shipping for the same price.

I actually prefer Amazon. If you don't like it you can return it on their dime within 30days.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #43 of 127 Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Very nice!
post #44 of 127 Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM

more reviews?
post #45 of 127 Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Some people have really sensitive ears... the media players I own have fans in them but sounds quite to me, but other owners have stated that it sounds loud to them.

I agree... at that price point there are not many other media players currently available with that comprehensive file format support. Of course usability, stability, and which stated/marketed features is important and working for the user is important. It seems the team at Pivos is responsive to the customers which is always a plus for any company.

The closest competitor at $99 is the new WDTV Live (2011) with the Sigma 8670 chipset

Micca EP600 is also $99, with realtek 1185 I believe. I would like to know how that unit measures up against this one.

I see from the first post it only has AAC passthrough or stereo downmix, but my receiver does not support AAC can anyone confirm if it can decode it to multichannel lpcm just like a pc or ps3.
post #46 of 127 Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Here is another short review that someone posted.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha..._Media_Center/
post #47 of 127 Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Here is another short review that someone posted.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha..._Media_Center/

Its seems most of these reviews say it's a great device despite the lack of support for a keyboard and mouse. Hopefully future firmware releases can remedy this issue.
post #48 of 127 Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Can it display the subtitles in the TS files?
post #49 of 127 Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had this thing a few weeks now myself and am pretty happy with it so far for the money spent. I also have a WDTV Live and this new unit buries it as far as playing BD ISO's. So far I haven't been able to make it show the menu or top menu on mine but it supports chapters just fine and will play the file from the beginning rather then just grabbing the biggest file in the ISO so movies like Up start from the first rather then a few chapters in.
I haven't seen it do forced subs yet either but all that may be the way my ISO's are setup. It can also fast forward or rewind several ways very easily in almost any video file I've played so far.
To me the fan is kinda loud but not really bad once your playing something with the sound up a tiny bit.
I tried the Xstreamer firmware and it seems to work but was hard to navigate and see on my 34" 16x9 CRT set so I went back to stock for now, also the front display didn't work right if anyone really cares about that.
The Live has this thing covered as far as web type things, especially with B-rads FW but this thing is much better to me for everything else.
When I try to play AAC files I need to set the HDMI to LPCM so at least the TV can play back the sound or do the same for the digital out.
I think this thing is going to get better and better with time and the makers and third parties seem to be working on it, the official forum seems to be just fine with people modding and hacking the firmware too.
post #50 of 127 Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I also have a WDTV Live and this new unit buries it as far as playing BD ISO's. So far I haven't been able to make it show the menu or top menu on mine but it supports chapters just fine and will play the file from the beginning rather then just grabbing the biggest file in the ISO so movies like Up start from the first rather then a few chapters in.

OK, so from your description it looks like this supports the BD.iso playlist which would allow it to stitch together seamless branching titles and provide chapter support -- I've seen this referred to as BD-lite. I've read through this thread which started a couple FW revisions ago, but it is still not clear to me what the support for bitstreaming HD audio is. For you or anyone else that has this unit with the current FW hooked up to an AVR via HDMI -- does this unit bitstream DD TrueHD and DTS-HD to the AVR or does it just pass the core audio (like the WD Live series does for DTS-HD).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #51 of 127 Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

My reciever is old enough it doesn't support the HD audio formats directly so I don't get any indication that anything is in a HD format. It does seem to output the 6.1 or whatever the top format is in the ISO's as a DTS stream and my unit says it outputting HD 6.1 so? it does sound nice but not sure if that fully answers your question. Might have to play with all the various programs and options I have for creating ISO files and see if any of them make it happy enough to show the menu or top menu, BUT having it properly play Up from the beginning and being able to chapter skip is a much nicer way to navigate and watch the seamless branching movies.
post #52 of 127 Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by son_nguyen View Post

Can it display the subtitles in the TS files?

Since 'native' subs for these HD containers are PGS (SUP) and they only list SRT, SMI, SSA, ASS, IDX/SUB, SUB I wouldn't count on it. Can anyone confirm?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #53 of 127 Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

Since 'native' subs for these HD containers are PGS (SUP) and they only list SRT, SMI, SSA, ASS, IDX/SUB, SUB I wouldn't count on it. Can anyone confirm?

That would be a major flaw if it couldn't display the subtitles in a native .m2ts BD rip. I still haven't got an answer as to whether it bitstreams HD audio or not.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #54 of 127 Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Does this have a video jukebox?? I saw someone asked but there hasn't been a response yet....

Also, I am torn between this, and the Micca EP350 G2

Any ideas??
post #55 of 127 Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 AM

Also, will this player support SBS 3D .MKV files at 1080P?

(I assume so but just wanted to make sure)
post #56 of 127 Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Also, I am torn between this, and the Micca EP350 G2

Same here, for a secondary player to my PCH A-300.

Have any more people tried the hacked Xtreamer 3.0.7 firmware on the AIOS? Please post your impressions. Does this player still have trouble with DTS-HD (or TrueHD for that matter) in MKV's?

The Micca EP350 G2 is $10 less, but not enough info on it either. Does it support a movie/TV jukebox, or just thumbnails?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #57 of 127 Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 AM

I am having an issue using the network
Using LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE 10/26/11: 2.8.2.8
Using Wired 100 Mbit Connection
Using 50 Mbit Cable Internet Connection
Wired PC's get 50 Mbitsp/sec and Wireless get 20 Mbits/sec
Not using an HDD

Works:
- Videos Play GREAT direct from SD Card
- Internet APPS and Browser works (Including YouTube NICE!) when AIOS is connected directly to the Modem

Don't Work:
When using a Linksys E2500 (Brand New) Router or Linksys WRTG54 (Tested with both)
- Streaming Videos freeze over the network (Wired). Connection Test 200 - 1000 Kbits / sec everytime
- Unable to use Internet APPS, YouTube thumbnails load slow and will not play (so there is a connection, real real slow)

- Tested with default router settings.
- Using DHCP
- Also tested with SPI Firewall Protection, Block Anonymous Internet Requests, and Filter IDENT(port 113) disabled

This device is well built and the video/sound quality is amazing, so I would really love to be able to get this working. Any ideas? Could the AIOS Ethernet port be malfunctioning when connected to a Linksys router? Has anyone else used one of these Routers with this device successfully?

Thanks
post #58 of 127 Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm using a D Link 651 wifi/wired router, has wifi and 4 gigabyte ports, works great. I also had a 8 port 10/100 Netgear pro safe fsv 318 and it also worked fine. I have the firewalls enabled on both and no real issues.
I have noticed that once and a while it will get confused/congested and the video will get choppy, sometimes it will clear up, probably my PC is doing other stuff and the network bogs down, sometimes I just have to power cycle it to make it happy.
The common theme is your using linksys routers, MAYBE they have compatibility issues with the Aios. I have 2 USB drives hooked to my WDTV Live and it shares nicely with the Aios through the networks workgroup so I can use either player depending on what I need to do and both use the drives fine.
Don't know if anyone else has said they used Linksys with no issues yet, player is very new so maybe your the first one to try them. I'd barrow another brand and see if that makes it happy.
post #59 of 127 Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I picked up one of these. Seems to work pretty well overall. Plays almost all video formats I threw at it and doesn't seem to have any issue streaming from NAS on LAN. The remote control is one the the absolute worst I've ever seen (terrible layout and weak transmitter) but after programing my Harmony One, that problem is solved nicely. I think I'll keep it.

rcliff
post #60 of 127 Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Same here, for a secondary player to my PCH A-300.

Have any more people tried the hacked Xtreamer 3.0.7 firmware on the AIOS? Please post your impressions. Does this player still have trouble with DTS-HD (or TrueHD for that matter) in MKV's?

The Micca EP350 G2 is $10 less, but not enough info on it either. Does it support a movie/TV jukebox, or just thumbnails?

I tried a early version of the Xstreamer firmware on it and it seemed to work but was very hard to see and navigate on my 34" HD widescreen CRT set so I went back to stock for now. they have released about 4 streamer updates so far for that one and users are busy adding much nicer GUI screens and backgrounds for it and fixing some of the issues that are based on the latest factory updates. Here's a link to the wiki with the Xstreamer links http://pivos-aios.wikidot.com/ and here's the official factory forum for it http://www.pivosforums.com/
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page