If anyone is thinking about “trading up” to the new WD TV Streaming player then you may want to read about my experience with the device.
I purchased the new WD TV Streaming player to replace my old WD TV Live device. I liked the Live device as it played almost every file in my library but it lacked media scraping and the interface was quite out-dated. The new WD TV Streaming player promised a more modern interface and the capability to identify media using information accumulated from on-line databases. I've only had the new Streaming player for a week but I have to admit that I'm quite disappointed.
The media scraping is only available on locally attached drives. The main draw of this device is that it can stream media over a network. The inability to use the media scraping on networked drives diminishes the value of this device. I understand the WD is working to get scraping on NAS devices but that fix could be months from release.
I wanted to use the media scraping feature so I moved some of my media on to an external hard drive and attached it directly to the WD device. Here are some of my findings:
The naming structure of the online database (www.TVDB.com
) omits the numeral 0 (Show Name 1-5 - Title) and the result is that TV episodes are listed out of order. In a season made up of 24 episodes the alphabetical listing will be as such: 1,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,2,20,21,22,23,24,3,4,5,6,7,8 ,9. The device does allow one to sort the episodes by date but for some reason it only lists them backwards (24,23,22...).
The scraping is very subjective. I've listed all of the TV episodes in my library using the correct format (showname.S01E1 or showname - S01E01) but the scraping only works about 60% of the time. The scraping will miss certain episodes within a season while all others are identified correctly. It will occasionally omit background images, cover art or descriptions from random shows.
Once a program is scraped it is impossible to completely remove the information from the WD database. It mistakenly identified a particular episode of Louie as a French children's program. I deleted the information (using the command in the "Options" menu) and manually rescanned the episode. The result was a display which consisted of cover art from the kid's show and the description from Louie (and no background art). I could not completely remove the information without manually deleting the database files on the locally connected hard drive. I tried the media scraping again but I received the same result.
Media scraping of music is a complete disaster. I've tried it on several CD rips. Some are identified correctly, some are partially correct...most are not.
I am also experiencing issues with MP4/ACC files in which the video will freeze after about 20 seconds. If I restart the player the remaining files will no longer play until I reset the device. All of these MP4 files played without incident on my old WD TV Live.
Several of my high bit-rate MKV files are displaying minor stutters during playback. All of these MKV files played without incident on my old WD TV Live.
I have noticed that several of my video files (MKV and Xvid) are displaying lip-sync errors. This occurs on locally attached and networked drives. I have to adjust the lip-sync correction by -300 milliseconds to fix this problem. All of these files played without lip-sync issues on my old WD TV Live.
I am hoping that WD works out these issue in the next firmware. If not then this device is going back to the store. Unfortunately, I gave away my WD TV Live so I may have to look elsewhere for a media streamer.