post #4141 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Played around with my SMP last night. Love this thing. I came across several observations with metadata.

Accessing media through network share and you cannot get the SMP to scrape. The ability to look the info up on Flixter is available though.

Adding that same network share to my media library and now there is a whole other world that opens up. I can rescan to get content info. This opens up a new "play trailer from youtube" option, and provides backdrops. Though the backdrops shuffle every 3 seconds. I would rather it just be one image. TV show (The twilight zone) worked great, though I had to scan each episode.

I even found that when I access a movie through the network share (when it already has been added to the media library) it shows the metadata that was obtained from being in the media library.

Not sure if I will have the WDTV do the scraping or if I should disable media library and get into using Thumbgen. I need to learn thumbgen to do it right from the start. Like MPearl said I want it to work where if I change a theme, all my stuff gets updated, like website CSS.

I started playing with mine again last night, I am going to pop a thumb drive into it tonight in hopes that it will write the scanned data locally instead of into my movie folder thus making it a little bit faster. I would also live the ability to turn off the backdrops, I just want the cover and info personally.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Adding that same network share to my media library and now there is a whole other world that opens up. I can rescan to get content info. This opens up a new "play trailer from youtube" option, and provides backdrops. Though the backdrops shuffle every 3 seconds. I would rather it just be one image.

Under Settings->Photo change display time to 5 minutes
johnBlanker likes this.
post #4143 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Though the backdrops shuffle every 3 seconds. I would rather it just be one image.

You can adjust that in the Photo settings. Same settings there affect the backdrop displays.
johnBlanker likes this.
post #4144 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ah, good call.
post #4145 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any sugesstions for tv metadata? My folder structure is The twilight zone/season 1/the twilight zone S01E01.mkv.

I have to manually go to each mkv and hit "rescan". I can then select TTW and it gets the info for each episode. Will it eventually do this automatically? The SMP metadata is set to auto. Should I change it to TTVDB? I think it is set to TMDB.
post #4146 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're seeing "RESCAN..." instead of "SCAN..." then the SMP thinks it already has metadata.
post #4147 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Anyone have any sugesstions for tv metadata? My folder structure is The twilight zone/season 1/the twilight zone S01E01.mkv.

I have to manually go to each mkv and hit "rescan". I can then select TTW and it gets the info for each episode. Will it eventually do this automatically? The SMP metadata is set to auto. Should I change it to TTVDB? I think it is set to TMDB.

Do you have "get content info" set to "auto"?

One of the reasons I turned metadata off was that it would grind to a halt repeatedly looking for hundreds of files that weren't named "correctly",e.g. BBT instead of Big Bang Theory...

CC

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #4148 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

If you're seeing "RESCAN..." instead of "SCAN..." then the SMP thinks it already has metadata.

Oh, then this is a problem. SMP is set to get metadata on system standby so thought it didn't scrape it yet.
post #4149 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

Do you have "get content info" set to "auto"?

One of the reasons I turned metadata off was that it would grind to a halt repeatedly looking for hundreds of files that weren't named "correctly",e.g. BBT instead of Big Bang Theory...

CC
Yes it is set to auto. Should I be using a different naming scheme?
post #4150 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes it is set to auto. Should I be using a different naming scheme?

I thought rescanning a folder went after it when on auto - maybe I'm not remembering correctly. On the old FW wasn't there a "get content info" in Options?

What I was trying to say is that it can't find metadata unless file names conform to the meta-source, so the auto search will repeat every time. If you have a lot of files like that the search can take a long time, although I think it will stop while you're playing a file and resume when you're done. Maybe different on new FW though?

CC

[Edit] Also IIRC it would do the auto-search on startup, so you might want to see if a restart will trigger a full search...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #4151 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Is there any way to identify which titles to select in MakeMKV? I have the twilight zone disc in but it's almost impossible to tell which are the actual episodes.
post #4152 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

Is there any way to identify which titles to select in MakeMKV? I have the twilight zone disc in but it's almost impossible to tell which are the actual episodes.
That is why I just leave TV DVD's as .iso. When I play them the disks menu comes up and I select the episode.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4153 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Rip the disc to get each title in it's own MKV file, then start the video on you computer. The title should be at the beginning of the show :-) Stop the video and rename the file.

They're usually in order on the disc though.

Looky here!
post #4154 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My method is a little more complicated, but 100% accurate:

Play the DVD in Menu mode with VLC. Use the DVD menu to start each episode. Check the Menu -> Navigation -> Title selection to see which title is playing.
Go back to the menu, start the next episode.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat as needed.

As for them being in order on the disk: Depends on whichever Joe Schmoe authored the disk for the studio. While most of my disks were authored linearly, many of them are random. Many of them have scattered small stuff inside other titles between episodes. Many have duplicate titles that aren't even referenced in the DVD menus. It can be VERY confusing to try to sort it out numerically; that's why I just use VLC to map the titles to episodes.
post #4155 of 5355 Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm probably going to buy one, but I noticed two different model numbers:

WDBHG70000NBK-VESN (Canada) and WDBHG70000NBK-HESN (Americas)

Is there any difference between the two?
Thanks.
post #4156 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHDMI View Post

Thanks.

If I had to guess, it's only packaging differences. Canada is probably packaged English / French Bilingual.

US is probably packaged English / Spanish bilingual.

It may also have regulatory differences on the labeling.

These things you shouldn't really question. Buy the one appropriate to where you live.
post #4157 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHDMI View Post

Thanks.

If I had to guess, it's only packaging differences. Canada is probably packaged English / French Bilingual.

US is probably packaged English / Spanish bilingual.

It may also have regulatory differences on the labeling.

These things you shouldn't really question. Buy the one appropriate to where you live.

Thank you! :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #4158 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

My method is a little more complicated, but 100% accurate:

Play the DVD in Menu mode with VLC. Use the DVD menu to start each episode. Check the Menu -> Navigation -> Title selection to see which title is playing.
Go back to the menu, start the next episode.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat as needed.

As for them being in order on the disk: Depends on whichever Joe Schmoe authored the disk for the studio. While most of my disks were authored linearly, many of them are random. Many of them have scattered small stuff inside other titles between episodes. Many have duplicate titles that aren't even referenced in the DVD menus. It can be VERY confusing to try to sort it out numerically; that's why I just use VLC to map the titles to episodes.
I have done basically this same thing. After doing a couple TV disks I stopped and asked myself is this really worth all the extra time and effort to rip out individual episodes one by one? As has been fully exemplified there is no automatic method. It still takes a lot of manual intervention to identify the episodes for proper labeling. I just rip the full disk as a DVD.iso and put it on the server -- basically one step. DVD Fab has an option to eliminate playing the warnings etc. and just jump to the main menu upon playing the iso. The Live-SMP always remembers where you left off in a DVD.iso so if you have the next episode highlighted in the menu when you quit, that is where it picks up.

I can understand that some people want the granularity of individual episodes so they can have artwork and summaries, etc. for each episode in their display. To each his own. It's just so much extra work, I'd rather be watching the episodes instead.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4159 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I have done basically this same thing. After doing a couple TV disks I stopped and asked myself is this really worth all the extra time and effort to rip out individual episodes one by one? As has been fully exemplified there is no automatic method. It still takes a lot of manual intervention to identify the episodes for proper labeling. I just rip the full disk as a DVD.iso and put it on the server -- basically one step. DVD Fab has an option to eliminate playing the warnings etc. and just jump to the main menu upon playing the iso. The Live-SMP always remembers where you left off in a DVD.iso so if you have the next episode highlighted in the menu when you quit, that is where it picks up.

I can understand that some people want the granularity of individual episodes so they can have artwork and summaries, etc. for each episode in their display. To each his own. It's just so much extra work, I'd rather be watching the episodes instead.

DVD ISO's are my storage preference for TV shows.
post #4160 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yup, that sums it up for me too. Nice to have the synopsis of each episode but I'll scan the insert that came with the box set onto my ipad to find the episodes. I'm scratching my head, looking at 1 disc in a folder of 4 discs for the season, in a folder of 6 seasons.....
Good Idea re: fab stripping out the warning and PUO's.
post #4161 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 AM

I have a problem with network shares on my Windows 7 box.

Shares from 3 HDDs were being shared without any problems.

I had to replace the USB hub. Now the WD TV SMPs do not display the shares. I have an OPPO 103 that lists the shares but when I try to access them I now get an invalid login error.

I'm guessing that network shares on Windows 7 have a hub number and port number associated with them and when I replaced the hub, the share information does not match anymore.

I'm not sure what to do to troubleshoot this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #4162 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Smith View Post

I had to replace the USB hub. Now the WD TV SMPs do not display the shares. I have an OPPO 103 that lists the shares but when I try to access them I now get an invalid login error.

I'm guessing that network shares on Windows 7 have a hub number and port number associated with them and when I replaced the hub, the share information does not match anymore.

I'm not sure what to do to troubleshoot this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Undo the shares in Windows, reboot and then redo them.

Bill
post #4163 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Undo the shares in Windows, reboot and then redo them.

Bill

I tried undoing the shares, rebooting and then creating the shares again. Still not seen on my WD TVs and invalid login on the OPPO 103.
post #4164 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried undoing the shares, rebooting and then creating the shares again. Still not seen on my WD TVs and invalid login on the OPPO 103.

Did you have to add "EVERYONE" into the permissions to make it work initially and if so did you add it back after recreating them? Or any specific user for that matter.

Bill
post #4165 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Did you have to add "EVERYONE" into the permissions to make it work initially and if so did you add it back after recreating them? Or any specific user for that matter.

Bill

When I added the share again, It listed the same permissions that I had before including everyone. So the shares have the same permissions as before.
post #4166 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I added the share again, It listed the same permissions that I had before including everyone. So the shares have the same permissions as before.

Are you sharing the root of the drives and if so is EVERYONE listed in the security section.

Bill
post #4167 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:

I had this same prob before...I changed the Workgroup name and everything came back.
post #4168 of 5355 Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Any known hacks to get about.jpg files to display on the SMP? MyMovies program makes them for me since they display on the KDLinks.
post #4169 of 5355 Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Any known hacks to get about.jpg files to display on the SMP? MyMovies program makes them for me since they display on the KDLinks.

How are you guys getting these themes? Are these the themes provided on this thread?
post #4170 of 5355 Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

These moviesheets are provided by the Mymovies program. I just finished a quick tutorial on setting up mymovies, here. Other folks use Thumbgen. Thimbgen is probably the ultimate tool to get this info. Mymovies works great for HTPC's running Windows Media Center. It does provide me with working metadata (like that Star Trek moviesheet above) for my KDlinks player.

For the WDTV, it give me the cover.jpg and an xml file. Haven't figured a way to get the moviesheets to work with it yet but i'm still tinkering. However, I can get right down to the VOB or m2ts file in the WDTV and click on the "look up in flixter" which then gives me all the info and trailer. I guess this works because I have the xml file in there from Mymovies. Good enough for me.

edit* - the image above is not a theme, it's just a jpg image. On my KDLinks player, while browsing I just hit "info" on the remote and that is what displays on the screen. For the WDTV, It's a little more complicated. Read the last 2 pages of this thread.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page