Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #4771 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
What are you guys using to compress your blu-ray rips down in size while still maintaining their video and audio quality?

I am running out of space on my 3TB drive already due to each blu-ray rip averaging about 30-60 gigs...

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Handbrake is one of the easiest tools to use, you can choose your bitrate and away you go, it will max your CPU and take time while you re encode, but in the end you can wind up with an MKV file that is a fraction of the original and you may not notice a difference.
post #4773 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use MeGUI to convert all my BD to 720p and retain the original audio. Most movies come out at 2-3 gb instead of 20-30

Living Room: Samsung Series 5 46", Sky+ HD, WD TV Live SMP, Pioneer NS-DV55, Wii U, Harmony Touch
Games Room: Sony 40", Xbox One, Xbox 360, Gaming PC
Dining Room: LG 22", Humax HDR-Fox T2 1TB
post #4774 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post

Handbrake is one of the easiest tools to use, you can choose your bitrate and away you go, it will max your CPU and take time while you re encode, but in the end you can wind up with an MKV file that is a fraction of the original and you may not notice a difference.

When you say "choose your bitrate" are you talking about the audio or video or both?

Also I dont mind if its CPU intensive, I've got a decently fast quad core Intel Q9650 OC'd to 4.0Ghz w/ 8 gig DDR2 & a SSD so it will take time but shouldn't be SUPER slow.....

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #4775 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevek View Post

I use MeGUI to convert all my BD to 720p and retain the original audio. Most movies come out at 2-3 gb instead of 20-30

Yeah, don't really want to downsize to 720p as I have a 60" TV so would prefer to keep the 1080p aspect if possible.

My Setup

Quote:

post #4776 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

What are you guys using to compress your blu-ray rips down in size while still maintaining their video and audio quality?

I am running out of space on my 3TB drive already due to each blu-ray rip averaging about 30-60 gigs...
There is no free lunch with re-compression of BD rips. This is a topic discussed constantly in this thread. Read the last hundred posts to get a feel for the discussion.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4777 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Yeah, don't really want to downsize to 720p as I have a 60" TV so would prefer to keep the 1080p aspect if possible.

MeGUI is completely flexible so you can do whatever you want. You'll still get much smaller files than 20/30 GB.

I have a 46" TV and am happy with 720p on that. If I ever do want to watch something in 1080p then it's only a 20 minute job to re-rip in MakeMKV

Living Room: Samsung Series 5 46", Sky+ HD, WD TV Live SMP, Pioneer NS-DV55, Wii U, Harmony Touch
post #4778 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:06 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

After I rip a CD into my librbay, I use MP3Tag to edit it and change the number format to include a lead zereo. When I select an album to play using the WD, it always starts with the highest track number and plays down to the lowest. Is there some setting which I can reverse this so it plays the track numbers in order? I poked around the menus but was unable to find anything that would help.

AFAIK, the device does not read the track numbers in the ID Tags, just by the name of the file. You need to name the tracks with the leading zeros and the track number instead. For Example:

ACDC - 1976 - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
> 01-Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.flac
> 02-Love At First Feel.flac
> 03-Big Balls.flac
> 04-Rocker.flac
> 05-Problem Child.flac
> 06-There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'.flac
> 07-Ain't No Fun (Waiting Round To Be A Millionaire).flac
> 08-Ride On.flac
> 09-Squealer.flac
> Folder.jpg

You could do it with a playlist instead if you like.

I still add the track number and all other data into the file IDs so it can be used by in the future or by another media player that does read that info

-P
post #4779 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:

When you say "choose your bitrate" are you talking about the audio or video or both?

Also I dont mind if its CPU intensive, I've got a decently fast quad core Intel Q9650 OC'd to 4.0Ghz w/ 8 gig DDR2 & a SSD so it will take time but shouldn't be SUPER slow.....

I am referring to the video bitrate, for audio you really only have the options to choose passthrough for whichever audio track you want, DTS-HD, DTS, AC3 etc.
post #4780 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

You can't have one without the other. If you're compressing more, you're losing more.

All you can hope to do is compress more until you're no longer satisfied with the visual result, and then go back until you are.
post #4781 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

I am referring to the video bitrate, for audio you really only have the options to choose passthrough for whichever audio track you want.
?? Handbrake can also encode to different audio codecs like AAC, right?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #4782 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 AM

I have only ever done passthrough for audio, so I can't answer your question.
post #4783 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently bought an SMP to replace an old (relativley) Argosy player as they are no longer available.
The Argosy interface is elegantly simple, 'all, video, photo, music, setup' -> hdd, usb, -> then a simple directory tree.
Didnt add anything, didnt ask questions (media changed? what to do?)
Is there any way of having something similar with the wdlive??
Everything works fine, once I am viewing/listening to whatever. Wireless works fine, have not used it after upgrading firmware,
not interested in that.
I just want a SIMPLE media player, no need of all the bells & whistles. Any suggestions??

-corne-
post #4784 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

There is no free lunch with re-compression of BD rips. This is a topic discussed constantly in this thread. Read the last hundred posts to get a feel for the discussion.

Wow...followed the link you provided and that's quite a hot button topic! LOL. I think I'll stick with my philosophy of not compressing blu-rays and only buying them for movies where the quality if evident.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #4785 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post

I recently bought an SMP to replace an old (relativley) Argosy player as they are no longer available.
The Argosy interface is elegantly simple, 'all, video, photo, music, setup' -> hdd, usb, -> then a simple directory tree.
Didnt add anything, didnt ask questions (media changed? what to do?)
Is there any way of having something similar with the wdlive??
-corne-

Not sure what you're lacking... the WDTV does the same thing. Pick Music / Photos / Videos from the main menu -- you'll be presented a directory tree. Voila.
Is that not what you're seeing?
post #4786 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Wow...followed the link you provided and that's quite a hot button topic! LOL. I think I'll stick with my philosophy of not compressing blu-rays and only buying them for movies where the quality if evident.

Yup... I gots me lots of reading to do lol... Thankfully I am "almost" done with all my blu-ray rips. And I dont see myself adding a TON more movies and if I do, I will just snatch up another 3TB drive and use one for "Adult" movies and another for "Kids/Animation"...

My Setup

Quote:

post #4787 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup... I gots me lots of reading to do lol... Thankfully I am "almost" done with all my blu-ray rips. And I dont see myself adding a TON more movies and if I do, I will just snatch up another 3TB drive and use one for "Adult" movies and another for "Kids/Animation"...

I'm thinking the same thing, but splitting up two drives, one for movies and the other for TV shows. One regular season (24 episodes) of a show is almost as big as a Blu-ray movie so a few seasons really take up the room.

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #4788 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a question regarding having multiple WD devices in your home. I have the SMP with an HDD with all my programing attached to it in the main theatre room. I have two other "minor" viewing rooms that I'd like to and additional SMP to, but was wonder which of the following would be better?

1. Keep the existing scenario as is, but add 2 more smp's and have them share and stream the movies from my main area.
2. Keep the existing scenario as is, but add 1 smp with my backup drives in the secondary viewing area, and then get a 3rd for the other room and just stream from one of the other two.
3. Move my HDD over to my computer and stream to all three locations.

Any thoughts?

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #4789 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Not sure what you're lacking...

Starting up the smp is slow, If/when I change usb source, "the drive/source has changed what do you want???" it takes time to 'scan' the drive, it shows 'only' vids-pics-musica, depending on what I select, I spent much time changing settings to get relativly small sized lists so as to see what I have, it scrolls sideways, this annoys me to no end.

Argosy, turn on, during 'boot' it sees usb, 1st option, 'all', scroll down for vids photo music setup. I 99% of the time click OK except for photo slide shows or just photo viewing as this mode gives thumbnails in folder "in players RAM" 15 per page scrolls DOWN. Last pic returns to folder & if I exit before end, last pic thumb is highlighted. smp gave me fits as images load much slower & last image stays displayed, took some
time before I realized it wasnt a slow loading of next image.
When selecting 'all' it shows every file with a small icon = photo vid etc, and a "?" icon for unsupported file types.
The smp takes (in my opinion) an unsufferably long time to finally 'boot' & always to 'videos', then, (I dont recall exactly the wording) previous media has changed, what to do? Why not go to the new media?? Huh?? Too simple? Why always go to 'videos'?
As large as the (pdf) instruction manual is, and not having one come with the unit, why not have the smp unit itself be able to read/view pdf files??
Including the power button, the argosy has 18 buttons, & I can do everything & more than I want, a much faster learning curve.
I am convinced that the software developers/programers keep changing things 'cause if they develop the 'perfect' setup/program/interface, they will be out of their jobs. So they change/add things. I am ranting now (!) I have been ranting, it is frustrating, , , ,

-corne-

(fwiw, I am 67 & have been playing with computers since about 1982) (Before retirement, I drove bulldozers for a living)
post #4790 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a question regarding having multiple WD devices in your home. I have the SMP with an HDD with all my programing attached to it in the main theatre room. I have two other "minor" viewing rooms that I'd like to and additional SMP to, but was wonder which of the following would be better?

1. Keep the existing scenario as is, but add 2 more smp's and have them share and stream the movies from my main area.
2. Keep the existing scenario as is, but add 1 smp with my backup drives in the secondary viewing area, and then get a 3rd for the other room and just stream from one of the other two.
3. Move my HDD over to my computer and stream to all three locations.

Any thoughts?
Go with #3. The Live-SMP is not powerful enough to act as a server and does not have the network throughput for multiple streams. It's network functionality is mostly geared to allow remote file transfers and management of attached storage. If you are going to have multiple Live-SMP around the home network, set up a server or NAS unit as your central media repository. There are plenty of threads currently going on about that.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4791 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I use MEgui when I want to do a lot of changes as it uses AVISynth which can do many things. But to just re-encode to save some space then I first use tsMuxeR (free) to remux the .m2ts file using the DTS core or Dolby AC3 sound track to save some space in the audio as I can't tell the difference in the loss less sound verses the DTS or AC3 sound tracks, also to remove extra sound tracks that are not needed.. I then compress the video and mux in the new sound track using Ripbot264 (free) on the Doom9.org forum. I select the CQ mode as this is a constant quality encode that is only one pass but you will not know the final size until you are done. I select MKV output format and use a CQ setting of 18-20 with the lower number being higher quality, a setting of 16 will look very close to the original Blu-Ray but the size might not be much smaller.. With my I7-930 running at 4GHz it will re-encode around 12-16 frames per second running all cores at around 100%. Usually a non-action movie will be 8-12 GB and action movie will run 12-16 GByte.

Mike T
post #4792 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

I have only ever done passthrough for audio, so I can't answer your question.
That was a rhetorical question, of course you can also encode audio with tools like Handbrake, Staxrip, Hybrid...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post

it takes time to 'scan' the drive, it shows 'only' vids-pics-musica, depending on what I select, I spent much time changing settings to get relativly small sized lists so as to see what I have, it scrolls sideways, this annoys me to no end.
So what's stopping your from turning off the media library and using list view?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #4793 of 5016 Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

So what's stopping your from turning off the media library and using list view?

That's exactly what I've just done

My Media Library is on but only contains my photos share for the screen saver.

I've added all of my video folders as favourites, direct to the windows share.

It's then a simple matter of Home -> Down to get to the list

SOOOOO much faster than using the media library for videos which recently has been unusabley slow

post #4794 of 5016 Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPearl View Post

AFAIK, the device does not read the track numbers in the ID Tags, just by the name of the file. You need to name the tracks with the leading zeros and the track number instead. For Example:

ACDC - 1976 - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
> 01-Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.flac
> 02-Love At First Feel.flac
> 03-Big Balls.flac
> 04-Rocker.flac
> 05-Problem Child.flac
> 06-There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'.flac
> 07-Ain't No Fun (Waiting Round To Be A Millionaire).flac
> 08-Ride On.flac
> 09-Squealer.flac
> Folder.jpg

You could do it with a playlist instead if you like.

I still add the track number and all other data into the file IDs so it can be used by in the future or by another media player that does read that info

-P

I tried that last nigh with some of my classical music but it didn't work. The file number as listed by WD is completely opposite to the track numbers. This is strange.
post #4795 of 5016 Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried that last nigh with some of my classical music but it didn't work. The file number as listed by WD is completely opposite to the track numbers. This is strange.

You changed the sort order from Descending to Ascending?
post #4796 of 5016 Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just fyi, I had a similar problem with movie series, but putting a number in front of the title did the trick. Any chance it's still cached in a file somewhere so it's not reading your new changes?

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #4797 of 5016 Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go with #3. The Live-SMP is not powerful enough to act as a server and does not have the network throughput for multiple streams. It's network functionality is mostly geared to allow remote file transfers and management of attached storage. If you are going to have multiple Live-SMP around the home network, set up a server or NAS unit as your central media repository. There are plenty of threads currently going on about that.

Ok, Thank You. It sounds like you have your media in one place and stream it to your WDTV. Do you notice any buffering issues etc? That's one thing I hate about streaming in general (mainly from Amazon)...depending on the time of day there are some major issues. If so, I could always just keep my main viewing area with the wdtv and hdd, and put my backups on backup hdd's attached to my computer and just share them to the other two areas (those other two areas don't get a lot of use but still want access to my media).

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #4798 of 5016 Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Just fyi, I had a similar problem with movie series, but putting a number in front of the title did the trick. Any chance it's still cached in a file somewhere so it's not reading your new changes?

That could be. I will power off both the WD and the attached USB drive tonight and start over to see if this recitfied it.
post #4799 of 5016 Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like you have your media in one place and stream it to your WDTV. Do you notice any buffering issues etc? . . . If so, I could always just keep my main viewing area with the wdtv and hdd, and put my backups on backup hdd's attached to my computer and just share them to the other two areas (those other two areas don't get a lot of use but still want access to my media).

I have multiple WD Lives on my net. My network is GigE backbone with one media-PC/server and two NAS units (24 TB total for media). Each server unit has the horsepower to serve multiple streams of the type of content it supplies so there are no buffering problems. What you suggest will work but requires your PC to be on all the time. If your backup HDD's are USB externals, consider buying a multi-port USB network hub (look on NewEgg). That way they can be live on the network all the time and independent of your PC. If you anticipate your storage needs will grow, consider setting up a NAS or small server now rather than later.

Check out this thread.

- kelson h

post #4800 of 5016 Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have multiple WD Lives on my net. My network is GigE backbone with one media-PC/server and two NAS units (24 TB total for media). Each server unit has the horsepower to serve multiple streams of the type of content it supplies so there are no buffering problems. What you suggest will work but requires your PC to be on all the time. If your backup HDD's are USB externals, consider buying a multi-port USB network hub (look on NewEgg). That way they can be live on the network all the time and independent of your PC. If you anticipate your storage needs will grow, consider setting up a NAS or small server now rather than later.

Check out this thread.

Thanks, I'll check out that thread. Also, when you talk about the hub and being independent of my PC, would that mean attaching the hub directly to the router instead of the PC?

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page