post #4951 of 5108 Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
I'm guessing a memory leak from something in the software, an app, or firmware. When navigation slows to a crawl, I'm ready for a power cycle.
Memory leak -- that is the term I was looking for. As I noted above, I see issues every 2-3 weeks from sitting in standby that are corrected with a cold boot. I think I would prefer to shut it down completely after use but I use a Harmony remote and that can only send the power-off toggle which sends the unit into standby.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 5108 Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Static IP addresses

On another note -- the networking complexity of Win-7 really aggravates me. When my Media-PC was running Win-XP, setting up SMB shares and accessing them from my WD Lives was simple and dependable. Now, unfortunately, it runs under Win-7 Pro. Win-7 has added a layer of networking complexity that my WD Lives take issue with on a random basis. One day a particular Live would be able to access the SMB shares on the Media-PC without issue while another Live would be denied access. The next day it could be the previously good Live that is now denied access. In the past this has been little more than an irritating distraction because my Media-PC is primarily a DLNA server running Mezzmo and the DLNA clients -- including the WD Lives -- never have an issue connecting to Mezzmo. However lately I've been wanting to put content on the Media-PC that would be accessed by SMB shares and so the issue has reared it's ugly head.

I can't remember where I read it but a while ago someone posted that assigning static IP addresses to the WD Lives and the server(s) they are accessing clears up a lot of network related problems. So a couple weeks ago I got around to configuring my router to reserve a static IP block and assigned all the Lives and the Win-7 Media-PC with static IP addresses. This seems to have cleared up the Win-7 SMB shares access problems I was having with the WD Lives. All the Lives now consistently connect to the SMB shares and have not been denied access as before.

So, if you are having problems accessing WIN-7 SMB shares with your WD Lives, you might want to consider converting to static IP addresses.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4953 of 5108 Old 06-18-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Don't know if it's the exact same problem as you're having, but anytime I switch between movies off of the attached HDD's and Youtube, I have to reboot or I won't get any volume at all. I've just gotten used to doing that, since it's pretty quick and works great after that.
It seems like my unit had been able to get audio again for the Youtube videos after I set it back to Stereo for the audio. Lately it seems that won't do it, and it has to be rebooted. It's flaky for sure.
post #4954 of 5108 Old 06-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently upgraded from the original WDTV Live to the WDTV Live Streaming and the reception of my remote control has become horrible. I use a Logitech 650 remote and my WDTV sits in a cabinet with a speaker-cloth face on it. The original Live could pick up the remote signal no problem but the Streaming can barely pick it up (only if I point straight at it from 8' away or closer).

Is there a known configuration change with the Streaming hardware that may have caused this behavior?

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #4955 of 5108 Old 06-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No real issues with mine (certainly not better or worse than other devices) - you dont still have the protective plastic film over the IR receiver?
post #4956 of 5108 Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
I recently upgraded from the original WDTV Live to the WDTV Live Streaming and the reception of my remote control has become horrible. I use a Logitech 650 remote and my WDTV sits in a cabinet with a speaker-cloth face on it. The original Live could pick up the remote signal no problem but the Streaming can barely pick it up (only if I point straight at it from 8' away or closer).

Is there a known configuration change with the Streaming hardware that may have caused this behavior?
The supplied remote controller has two problems. Low power and the internal LEDs are not aimed straight ahead, but at about 30 degrees off center. It will actually work better if you aim it to the sides.

I took mine apart and resoldered the LEDs to point straight ahead. I also loaded an upgrade to my JP1 remote that works better. I even bounce mine off a wall.

I'm surprised your Logitech doesn't work better but it could be off frequency or use the wrong wavelength LED.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #4957 of 5108 Old 06-20-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
I also loaded an upgrade to my JP1 remote that works better. I even bounce mine off a wall.
Which JP1 remote do you have? I currently use an RCA RCRP05B w/ extender.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #4958 of 5108 Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Which JP1 remote do you have? I currently use an RCA RCRP05B w/ extender.
While I have one of those RCAs, I have bunch (6+) of the old URC6131 OneForAll remotes that I use. (with extender)

Some other alternatives for pg_rider are the apps for smartphones (if you have a wireless router) and web browsers that don't rely on IR signals.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #4959 of 5108 Old 06-20-2014, 03:29 PM

Anyone have issues with iso playback on WDTV where it will jump seemingly randomly between chapters? I've had this issue when creating mkv's from bluerays with discs containing multiple playlists but I was hoping playing back directly from the iso would avoid the issue.

Last edited by ngabriel; 06-20-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #4960 of 5108 Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabriel View Post
Anyone have issues with iso playback on WDTV where it will jump seemingly randomly between chapters? I've had this issue when creating mkv's from bluerays with discs containing multiple playlists but I was hoping playing back directly from the iso would avoid the issue.
Found this somewhere else, I guess its the same issue as I have when making mkv's:

> This is a WDTV problem, it picks the largest m2ts file from inside the ISO, this will be incorrect for movies with multiple m2ts files making up the main movie.
> I would recommend ripping the main movie only to MKV or similar so the WDTV can handle it properly.
> Try something like MakeMKV or wait for Slysoft's upcoming program Slyce.
post #4961 of 5108 Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabriel View Post
Found this somewhere else, I guess its the same issue as I have when making mkv's:

> This is a WDTV problem, it picks the largest m2ts file from inside the ISO, this will be incorrect for movies with multiple m2ts files making up the main movie.
> I would recommend ripping the main movie only to MKV or similar so the WDTV can handle it properly.
> Try something like MakeMKV or wait for Slysoft's upcoming program Slyce.
That was addressed in the latest firmware. If you rip the main title to iso, the WD will go to the playlist in the iso and play the segments in the order of the playlist. If you are experiencing random chapter repeats or chapters in the wrong order then you picked the wrong playlist when you ripped the BD. If you ripped the whole disk to an iso and it has playlist obfuscation, the WD can't possibly know which one to pick. You need to do the work to feed it the right playlist.

- kelson h

post #4962 of 5108 Old 06-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Liked: 0
Hey, new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the place to ask. But...

I have 3 of these. I've tried lots of others but have found the WD devices to be the best so far. Not perfect, but not the multiple issues I've had with other devices. I'm running Plex on Ubuntu and all of the devices have no problem streaming content from it.

What I'd like to try next is dumping my cable set top boxes. I'd like to get a cablecard device and use that through the WD devices. Most DCA compliant multi-streaming devices I've researched so far require Windows Media Server in order to get the guide and using your computer as a DVR. Not a problem, I have an always on Win 7 machine that could handle that chore. Cable provider is Verizon FIOS.

Does anyone know if this will work? Any suggestions on a cable card device? I don't want to throw a couple hundred bucks at something only to find out it won't work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Motorcycle roadracing - as a matter of fact it IS rocket science.
post #4963 of 5108 Old 06-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragineez View Post
Hey, new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the place to ask. But...

I have 3 of these. I've tried lots of others but have found the WD devices to be the best so far. Not perfect, but not the multiple issues I've had with other devices. I'm running Plex on Ubuntu and all of the devices have no problem streaming content from it.

What I'd like to try next is dumping my cable set top boxes. I'd like to get a cablecard device and use that through the WD devices. Most DCA compliant multi-streaming devices I've researched so far require Windows Media Server in order to get the guide and using your computer as a DVR. Not a problem, I have an always on Win 7 machine that could handle that chore. Cable provider is Verizon FIOS.

Does anyone know if this will work? Any suggestions on a cable card device? I don't want to throw a couple hundred bucks at something only to find out it won't work

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I know you can put a Hauppauge WinTV (USB adapter) on the WD SMP for getting OTA reception HD channels but not sure if a "cablecard" device will work in tandem with the SMP. Cablecard devices to use with Win7 & WMC are HD Homerun and Ceton InifiTV - either gives you 4 or 6 tuners to work with. You would also need to convert the WTV file to something the SMP can play too......

Toys

My Gear
post #4964 of 5108 Old 06-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post
I know you can put a Hauppauge WinTV (USB adapter) on the WD SMP for getting OTA reception HD channels but not sure if a "cablecard" device will work in tandem with the SMP. Cablecard devices to use with Win7 & WMC are HD Homerun and Ceton InifiTV - either gives you 4 or 6 tuners to work with. You would also need to convert the WTV file to something the SMP can play too......

Toys
Thanks for the quick response! I've decided to experiment with the HD HomeRun, though with only 3 channels I don't think that will be my long term solution. I want to gain some experience with this so I can forever ditch the Verizon set top boxes. Watched an interesting YouTube video where the guy said you can add a Windows Media Server as a channel in Plex and still get the channel guide and encrypted channels. A sort of media server to media server hand off. I'm curious to see if this will work. Also interested to see if I can DVR files to the Ubuntu SMB RAID shares. I figure if I can lop $35 a month off my cable bill the pay back time frame should be pretty short.

post #4965 of 5108 Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response! I've decided to experiment with the HD HomeRun, though with only 3 channels I don't think that will be my long term solution. I want to gain some experience with this so I can forever ditch the Verizon set top boxes. Watched an interesting YouTube video where the guy said you can add a Windows Media Server as a channel in Plex and still get the channel guide and encrypted channels. A sort of media server to media server hand off. I'm curious to see if this will work. Also interested to see if I can DVR files to the Ubuntu SMB RAID shares. I figure if I can lop $35 a month off my cable bill the pay back time frame should be pretty short.
I have cut the cord and I am interested in your success. Please update after you try it out. Thanks
post #4966 of 5108 Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response! I've decided to experiment with the HD HomeRun, though with only 3 channels I don't think that will be my long term solution. I want to gain some experience with this so I can forever ditch the Verizon set top boxes.
You can install multiple HD HomeRuns -- i.e. two for 6 tuners. WMC will use all the tuners without issue. The only bad part is that Verizon FIOS really rips you off charging $5/cable card/month. I don't think anybody is higher than that.

- kelson h

post #4967 of 5108 Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 PM

The HD HomeRun won't be delivered until early July, so I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions when it arrives. Thanks for all the help!

post #4968 of 5108 Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM

Hey guys, anyone have issues with 2 channel DTS audio not working right? I have a series that's in 2 channel DTS (In The Flesh) and it's definitely being detected by the WDTV Live as DTS and it should be DTS 2 channel (not surround), but my Denon 591 is pumping it out in Pro Logic II. I'm thinking maybe 2 channel whatever always gets converted to PLII by my Denon? Regular DTS 5.1 seems to work great. Sooo confused, lol.
post #4969 of 5108 Old 06-25-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkonfuzion View Post
Hey guys, anyone have issues with 2 channel DTS audio not working right? I have a series that's in 2 channel DTS (In The Flesh) and it's definitely being detected by the WDTV Live as DTS and it should be DTS 2 channel (not surround), but my Denon 591 is pumping it out in Pro Logic II. I'm thinking maybe 2 channel whatever always gets converted to PLII by my Denon? Regular DTS 5.1 seems to work great. Sooo confused, lol.
There is definitely a setting in the Denon that always turns stereo into simulated 5.1. Look for a "surround mode" button and press that while a stereo track is playing and see if it cycles around to a stereo option.
post #4970 of 5108 Old 06-25-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody have any experience using the Live-SMP DLNA client with Plex Media server?

I use Mezzmo as my DLNA server for the Live-SMP's running on a Win-7 Pro Media-PC. Plex has recently gotten my attention for two reasons:

1. I'm getting into Linux and setting up an Ubuntu box as a media server. Plex has a Linux build and Mezzmo does not.
  2. The Plex website trumpets DLNA support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex web site
World class DLNA support built
right in

Plex makes your media beautiful on thousands of DLNA certified devices like the PS3, Xbox 360, and WDTV Live devices without the need to install dedicated apps. Harness the power of the most sophisticated DLNA server available to effortlessly stream nearly any format to your device, right out of the box.
I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has or is using Plex to serve the Live-SMP DLNA client. If need be we can start a new thread.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 06-25-2014 at 06:36 AM.
post #4971 of 5108 Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the WDTV live hub and have been getting double subtitles on netflix (only for subtitled foreign language parts). Does anybody know how to correct this? I'm not even sure if it is a netflix problem or a WDTV problem. One set of subtitles is white and the other is yellow and a different font, and is right on top of the white subtitles.

This is while watching Orange is the new Black. Attached picture isn't mine but is the same thing I am seeing.
Attached Images
File Type: png ZNsKwag[1].png (143.8 KB, 17 views)
post #4972 of 5108 Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46
^^^
I suspect this is because of hard-coded subs on the program being brodcast. If you turn off subtitles you will probably only get one set.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #4973 of 5108 Old 06-26-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
There is definitely a setting in the Denon that always turns stereo into simulated 5.1. Look for a "surround mode" button and press that while a stereo track is playing and see if it cycles around to a stereo option.
Figured it out! Thanks man! I wasn't looking hard enough for the little DTS icon on the top left, lol.

Is anyone else as of late having issues with their WDTV Live SMP just hard locking and stop responding to the remote? This mostly happens when I have a programmed paused and I try to replay it. This happened when I had a windows share on a desktop PC and is now happening from my NAS via a samba share as well.

I haven't tried playing anything off a USB drive, but this has been happening more frequently as of late. Firmware is up to date and files being played are usually MKV. I'm almost wondering if I shouldn't let Twonky do the work and stream that way. I know i'd loose out on some quality more than likely, but it might be less problematic than streaming off a samba share, if that's even the issue.
post #4974 of 5108 Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 PM

Mine has crashed a couple of times in just a few uses. Only solution is to unplug it.
post #4975 of 5108 Old 06-27-2014, 08:59 AM

Liked: 17
Plex app

Not sure if this is relevant to SMP users but Amazon's "free app of the day" today includes Plex, normally $5 I think...

CC

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #4976 of 5108 Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has or is using Plex to serve the Live-SMP DLNA client. If need be we can start a new thread.
Kelson, don't you have tv dvd rips that you need the menu support for? Plex is dlna no?
post #4977 of 5108 Old 06-27-2014, 01:17 PM

Liked: 17
File management

My files are spread out over 3 network shares, a USB drive on the SMP and some other "archival" USB drives. It's become a big mess, especially since I had to return my Seagate GoFlex for replacement, so I've been looking for a utility to help get things back under control. I found Ashisoft Duplicate File Finder and it actually looks pretty decent. I was wondering if anyone else has used it, or can recommend another good (hopefully free) utility to help manage several disks of content?

(I know I need something like a Synology NAS but the bucks for that just aren't there right now)

Thanks,
CC

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #4978 of 5108 Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Kelson, don't you have tv dvd rips that you need the menu support for? Plex is dlna no?
John, I'm always looking to complicate my life.

- kelson h

post #4979 of 5108 Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM

Stereo with Digital Passthru

Can someone verify if stereo audio works properly if the WD Live TV audio is set to digital passthru?

Thanks.
Clay
post #4980 of 5108 Old 06-28-2014, 03:01 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post
Can someone verify if stereo audio works properly if the WD Live TV audio is set to digital passthru?

Thanks.
Clay
I've played plenty if videos with stereo output bitstreamed. What issues are you having? Is it an issue if whatever device the audio is being bitstreamed to not being able to decode the stream?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page