30Likes

post #4981 of 5354 Old 06-28-2014, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post
I've played plenty if videos with stereo output bitstreamed. What issues are you having? Is it an issue if whatever device the audio is being bitstreamed to not being able to decode the stream?
Thanks. The issue is ...

1) Set the audio to digital pass-thru.
2) play a stereo file. Works fine.
3) play a DVD iso file with Dolby Digital audio. Works fine.
4) play a stereo file. Audio is weak and/or distorted.

I am exchanging the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5354 Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
My files are spread out over 3 network shares, a USB drive on the SMP and some other "archival" USB drives. It's become a big mess, especially since I had to return my Seagate GoFlex for replacement, so I've been looking for a utility to help get things back under control. I found Ashisoft Duplicate File Finder and it actually looks pretty decent. I was wondering if anyone else has used it, or can recommend another good (hopefully free) utility to help manage several disks of content?

(I know I need something like a Synology NAS but the bucks for that just aren't there right now)

Thanks,
CC
I put together a pc with spare parts for a homemade nas. I tried freenas, openmediavault, unraid, and a couple others. Finally settled on nas4free. It works perfectly. A true set and forget system and it idles at 40 watts with non server-grade hardware. My smp likes it since it is on 24/7 and we all know how ideal that is.
post #4983 of 5354 Old 07-01-2014, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
I put together a pc with spare parts for a homemade nas. I tried freenas, openmediavault, unraid, and a couple others. Finally settled on nas4free. It works perfectly. A true set and forget system and it idles at 40 watts with non server-grade hardware. My smp likes it since it is on 24/7 and we all know how ideal that is.
Good idea - I might play around with that when I get time. I have a decent Athlon X2 box though it would need a bigger power supply - maybe the one in my old P4 RDRAM box. I assume its 3GB RAM would suffice? Can the free NAS software pool in USB drives?

My wife's PC would probably be ideal for that - low power AMD A10-6700, gigabit ethernet, expandable to 32GB RAM, USB2x8 + USB3x6...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #4984 of 5354 Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Good idea - I might play around with that when I get time. I have a decent Athlon X2 box though it would need a bigger power supply - maybe the one in my old P4 RDRAM box. I assume its 3GB RAM would suffice? Can the free NAS software pool in USB drives?

My wife's PC would probably be ideal for that - low power AMD A10-6700, gigabit ethernet, expandable to 32GB RAM, USB2x8 + USB3x6...
I think the usb drives would work. Not sure tho. Might want to hit up the nas4free forums. The goal of my rig was getting the wattage down as low as possible. Ill get u the specs of my gear later. Im only using 2 gb ram.
post #4985 of 5354 Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
I think the usb drives would work. Not sure tho. Might want to hit up the nas4free forums. The goal of my rig was getting the wattage down as low as possible. Ill get u the specs of my gear later. Im only using 2 gb ram.
I don't know the exact model of the board but it is a Gigabyte board, AM3 socket. It's a good 5-6 years old. And I just picked up this CPU for it and this power supply. I wanted the bronze rating of the PSU and the low wattage pull from the cpu to keep the power consumption down. And I snagged the psu for $25 since they had a rebate going at the time.
post #4986 of 5354 Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
When powering off a WD TV Live Plus, is that just putting it in standby mode?
post #4987 of 5354 Old 07-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
I don't know about the Plus - with the SMP it goes to standby - you can still access its USB drives from your network - but holding the power button turns it of completely, same as pulling the plug...

CC

post #4988 of 5354 Old 07-04-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
No that is a power down. The Plus doesn't have a standby mode.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4989 of 5354 Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 PM

It seems there are many models of this WD Live TV thing. What is the latest and best one? It's very hard to find descriptions of the various models.

Thanks.
Clay
post #4990 of 5354 Old 07-04-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Not really. This one is missing the latest which is the WDTV Personal Edition (or NN for no Netflix) which is being discussed here. It's similar to the Live Streaming but comes without Netflix.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #4991 of 5354 Old 07-04-2014, 10:40 PM

Ok. Thanks.

Which one is this one? It's the one I got recently...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #4992 of 5354 Old 07-04-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Should be the old gen 3 with Netflix but it's missing the "streaming" in the title, mmh. Maybe Amazon will keep the page (and reviews and Q&A) and replace their stock.

Tech Flaws
post #4993 of 5354 Old 07-05-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I think that's correct. On the even older WD TV Live HD, some had it, some didn't. If I recall correctly, the WD mods over on their community (several years ago) explained that WD had to "take away" the Standby mode on the later ones to get some sort of European "Green" certification.
post #4994 of 5354 Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

It still exists in the newer models, though. Press OFF and it goes into standby being still available over the network. Hold OFF > 5 seconds and it goes into Deep Standby with 0.1 Watt power consumption.

Tech Flaws
post #4995 of 5354 Old 07-05-2014, 09:01 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm still able to access the USB drive when the unit is powered off (led goes off) through my network.
post #4996 of 5354 Old 07-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Should be the old gen 3 with Netflix but it's missing the "streaming" in the title, mmh. Maybe Amazon will keep the page (and reviews and Q&A) and replace their stock.
The Amazon page says "there is a newer model", http://www.amazon.com/WD-TV-Media-Pl...dp_ob_title_ce
post #4997 of 5354 Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
'Another' question, Why does this player remember where "some" videos were after restarting and others 'always' start at the begining??

Either iso's or vob's from flicks, some movie only, some full ripz.

-c-
post #4998 of 5354 Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
'Another' question, Why does this player remember where "some" videos were after restarting and others 'always' start at the begining??

Either iso's or vob's from flicks, some movie only, some full ripz.
It has been my experience with DVD.iso that the Live-SMP always remembers where you left off and presents a resume/restart choice when you play the title again. It does this for single title .iso and multi-title .iso with menus (i.e. TV show disks). It doesn't matter how long you wait to play the title again or how many titles you play in between. I often use this with TV show disks where I will highlight the next episode to be played in the menu before exiting the .iso.

In order to do this, it writes a bookmark into the directory on the server where the .iso is contained. If you do not allow the WD Live to have write access to the server it can't write the bookmark and then all bets are off.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4999 of 5354 Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post
It seems there are many models of this WD Live TV thing. What is the latest and best one? It's very hard to find descriptions of the various models.
Quote:
The Amazon page says "there is a newer model", http://www.amazon.com/WD-TV-Media-Pl...dp_ob_title_ce

This is the "older" WD Live-SMP (WDBHG70000NBK-HESN) -- $81 with Netflix -- player that is topic of this thread

This is the "newer" WD Media Player (WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN) -- $95 no Netflix -- thread for it here.

No real difference between the two in terms of hardware. I believe the interface is somewhat different, the "newer" model reportedly uses the WD Play UI. Major functional difference is Netflix vs. no Netflix and $15 more for the "newer" model. I just bought 2 more of the "older" Live-SMP before they disappear once stock is depleted.

No one understands what the purpose of the "new" model is. It is not an upgrade from the "older" Live-SMP.

- kelson h

post #5000 of 5354 Old 07-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
This is the "older" WD Live-SMP (WDBHG70000NBK-HESN) -- $81 with Netflix -- player that is topic of this thread

This is the "newer" WD Media Player (WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN) -- $95 no Netflix -- thread for it here.

No real difference between the two in terms of hardware. I believe the interface is somewhat different, the "newer" model reportedly uses the WD Play UI. Major functional difference is Netflix vs. no Netflix and $15 more for the "newer" model. I just bought 2 more of the "older" Live-SMP before they disappear once stock is depleted.

No one understands what the purpose of the "new" model is. It is not an upgrade from the "older" Live-SMP.
Thanks Kelson. Interesting.

I just got a replacement unit for my WD Live SMP due to an audio issue mentioned previously. Unfortunately it has the same problem as the first. Namely, if the audio is set for digital passthru (to get Dolby Digital), and a DVD iso is played with its audio set to Dolby Digital, then afterward, stereo sources do not play the audio properly. Seems like a design flaw. It seems like something in the system 'remains' in some audio mode that doesn't properly process the PCM stereo signals. If I then play a DVD iso with the audio set to PCM, then play a stereo source, it will once again play properly.

I also have occasional stuttering when playing DVD iso files (mostly, it seems, when there is little chance for video compression to work well due to a busy image). And I can't play Blu ray iso files at all,... constant stuttering. I am using a wifi connection. I have not yet tried plugging a drive directly into the WD SMP.

Clay
post #5001 of 5354 Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I just got a replacement unit for my WD Live SMP due to an audio issue mentioned previously. Unfortunately it has the same problem as the first. Namely, if the audio is set for digital passthru (to get Dolby Digital), and a DVD iso is played with its audio set to Dolby Digital, then afterward, stereo sources do not play the audio properly.
I don't quite understand the nature of your problem, probably because I don't have any source that is 2.0 stereo. I use HDMI for all my connections. I have the Live-SMP in my main area plugged into my AVR and set for bitstream. All my DVD are full-disk ripped DVD.iso (TV Shows) with AC3 audio tracks -- never any problems. I only have problems playing BD titles with LPCM because it turns out my AVR doesn't decode it -- I have to use AC3 on those. All my others plug directly into the TV's and I believe I have audio still set for HDMI bitstreaming. The Live-SMP negotiates with the TV to send the proper audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I also have occasional stuttering when playing DVD iso files (mostly, it seems, when there is little chance for video compression to work well due to a busy image). And I can't play Blu ray iso files at all,... constant stuttering. I am using a wifi connection. I have not yet tried plugging a drive directly into the WD SMP.
In general, wireless sucks for streaming. Yes there are people with specific configurations in which they can successfully stream with wireless -- but if you are not one of them, it will never work reliably for you. If you can't run a wire, go with powerline adapters -- I use Netgear AV500's and I have them all over the house. Never a flicker on DVD.iso nor full bitrate BD.m2ts -- I never compress anything. Of course you can plug in a USB drive array if you don't mind it being there and that is your only streaming device -- that works well also.
lahatte likes this.

- kelson h

post #5002 of 5354 Old 07-08-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Well, looks like i'm returning to the "new" Live.

I cannot get xbmc to play on my PJ or Kuro without flickering and it's impossible to get it to sync when I run video outside and need audio (limited to SPDIF so I have to airfoil audio to my apple tv) so Ill give the WD Live another go until something better arrives. Least now I have an spdif output I can send to the zones.

I remember not being nuts about the movie pages- especially vs the PCH 400, but it does do 24P correctly, right?

I figure the new one will prolly get the most attention re fware updates and such and the new GUI is a bit better so what the hay for $90?

James
post #5003 of 5354 Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 PM

Hi Kelson. Thanks for your input.

Try this if you can. With the audio set to digital pass through, play a DVD iso in Dolby Digital 5.1. Then try playing an audio file, like an mp3 music file. See if it plays properly. I am curious.

My AT&T DSL box only has a 100Mbit wired connection. So I am using the wireless, which I believe is Gbit. I do have cat5E run, so I my give it a try on the WD Live.

Thanks.
Clay
post #5004 of 5354 Old 07-09-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Kelson. Thanks for your input.

Try this if you can. With the audio set to digital pass through, play a DVD iso in Dolby Digital 5.1. Then try playing an audio file, like an mp3 music file. See if it plays properly. I am curious.

My AT&T DSL box only has a 100Mbit wired connection. So I am using the wireless, which I believe is Gbit. I do have cat5E run, so I my give it a try on the WD Live.

Thanks.
Clay
Speaking of CAT5e, FWIW I found a Prime-compliant Amazon partner offering a 5-pack of 2' or 3' flat CAT6 for $11. I bought the 2' pack and they really cleaned up the clutter around the router (from balled-up 10' round cables). Can't confirm CAT6 speeds but fine for gigabit so far...
lahatte likes this.

CC

post #5005 of 5354 Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Picked up a 4th gen unit yesterday. Had a problem accessing my share...until I clicked off the "password sharing" that's on by default in Win 7, lol.

Now though, it keeps dropping my Media Library, stating there is no content. Of course when I go back and regenerate the library or re-access the share, everything is fine.

I had a WD TV before and dropped it for a PCH. I bought another one (WD) and some of the old things that annoyed me are coming back immediately, unfortunately. The UI is SO clunky, but if it can pull cover art and playback my files decently that's all I care about for $90.

But it's GOTTA work. Any suggestions? Could my CPU be timing something out, somewhere?

thanks guys.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #5006 of 5354 Old 07-10-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Picked up a 4th gen unit yesterday. Had a problem accessing my share...until I clicked off the "password sharing" that's on by default in Win 7, lol.

Now though, it keeps dropping my Media Library, stating there is no content. Of course when I go back and regenerate the library or re-access the share, everything is fine.

I had a WD TV before and dropped it for a PCH. I bought another one (WD) and some of the old things that annoyed me are coming back immediately, unfortunately. The UI is SO clunky, but if it can pull cover art and playback my files decently that's all I care about for $90.

But it's GOTTA work. Any suggestions? Could my CPU be timing something out, somewhere?

thanks guys.

James
Assuming "4th gen" is the SMP, is your share up 24/7? If not, what's your SMP rescan setting? And do you power off or standby?

Many think ML is more trouble than it's worth. The only reason I use it is to aggregate several network shares into one top menu rather than selecting one share at a time in folder view. But I do lose connections fairly often, like maybe every 5th use. Sometimes it's the network connection and sometimes one or more shares. Sometimes a rescan brings back the share, sometimes a power cycle is needed. And of course any moving or renaming will confuse it...

CC

post #5007 of 5354 Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

^ thanks. So the only plus of ML is to pull multiple shares together? I may be crazy-- ok, I am crazy anyway-- but I though it also offered the option to mod cover titles- or at least search and find the appropriate one??? I know that sounds goofy, but...

That's really the only reason I turned it on yday...I was missing a ton or they were incorrect and I couldn't figure out how to fix them until I started ML and it gave me the option to search them out and select the right one upon hitting the "OPTION" button.

thanks
James

Last edited by mastermaybe; 07-10-2014 at 07:28 AM.
post #5008 of 5354 Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
^ thanks. So the only plus of ML is to pull multiple shares together? I may be crazy-- ok, I am crazy anyway-- but I though it also offered the option to mod cover titles- or at least search and find the appropriate one??? I know that sounds goofy, but...

That's really the only reason I turned it on yday...I was missing a ton or they were incorrect and I couldn't figure out how to fix them until I started ML and it gave me the option to search them out and select the right one upon hitting the "OPTION" button.

thanks
James
No, content info is the main reason to use it - my content is 99% TV so I don't. Just sayin' that many don't seem to think the content info is worth the hassles...

CC

post #5009 of 5354 Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Crap, thanks I guess.

Well, I really do need it as I cannot have half my library void of it. And oddly, many of these are named perfectly-- they've never been an issue before. Am I recollecting correctly that it (the retrieval of title info/art) can take awhile (like a day or so)???

thanks again
James

post #5010 of 5354 Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
^ Crap, thanks I guess.

Well, I really do need it as I cannot have half my library void of it. And oddly, many of these are named perfectly-- they've never been an issue before. Am I recollecting correctly that it (the retrieval of title info/art) can take awhile (like a day or so)???

thanks again
James
I think the initial scan can take a long time, especially with low internet bandwidth. After that it will only go after missing content (over and over for titles it can't find - that's one of the things that makes it impractical for TV unless you rename hundreds of "misnamed" titles or don't have episode numbers in the "right" format)...

[Edit] You can gauge the progress by monitoring the folders it's adding content to...

CC

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 07-10-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Add'l note
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page