Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5011 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I just don't understand why I lose the option to fix the covers if I just to stick to a single share and don't use ML. Is this the part where I'm forced to add my own art to the individual folders on my PC? Sigh ...and ugh.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
I just don't understand why I lose the option to fix the covers if I just to stick to a single share and don't use ML. Is this the part where I'm forced to add my own art to the individual folders on my PC? Sigh ...and ugh.

James
I think if you scan this thread you will find some discussion of at least semi-automated alternatives to using ML to manage content info...

But if you can find the right combination of settings on the SMP (and maybe your router) ML may work well enough for you.

Part of my problem is caused by shutting down the network every night - the SMP seems to work better when connected 24/7. One problem for sure is when it attempts a rescan while disconnected - it seems to think shares have been deleted and stops trying to reconnect even when the network is back up. I should probably power down the SMP when not in use, but I prefer standby so the local USB drive is available on the network...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5013 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Thanks. I just think it's so, well, pathetic, that we're still dealing with issues like this years and years into this products and whole local streaming process. I did a restart yday, but I otherwise keep my cpu going, 24/7 so we'll see what happens.

This box is so close to being perfect IMO. It's a shame this newest iteration didn't hammer on its few hiccups.

James

post #5014 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM

Quote:
^ Thanks. I just think it's so, well, pathetic, that we're still dealing with issues like this years and years into this products and whole local streaming process. I did a restart yday, but I otherwise keep my cpu going, 24/7 so we'll see what happens.

This box is so close to being perfect IMO. It's a shame this newest iteration didn't hammer on its few hiccups.

James
Well even my ethernet-connected Win8 system loses network shares sometimes - seems like more often than my Win7, and maybe even my old Vista laptop - so I can't be too critical of the SMP on WiFi...

CC

post #5015 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Picked up a 4th gen unit yesterday. Had a problem accessing my share...until I clicked off the "password sharing" that's on by default in Win 7, lol.

Now though, it keeps dropping my Media Library, stating there is no content. Of course when I go back and regenerate the library or re-access the share, everything is fine.
You are not alone in your frustration. Windows-7 file sharing is enough to pull our hair out by the roots. Win-XP was so easy and dependable -- my Live's never had a problem accessing SMB shares on XP. It seems that Win-7 only works good with other Win-7 boxes.

I have a recurring problem. My Media-PC runs Win-7 Pro and holds all my BD rips and HDTV captures. Far too often I will direct the Live-SMP to the Media-PC through Windows Shares (for the HDTV captures) and be met with a screen requesting username and password -- neither of which should be needed so there is never any solution for a login. It will connect fine one day and then not the next. Sometimes cold booting the Live-SMP and the Media-PC will help -- sometimes not. A month ago I stopped using DHCP and assigned static IP addresses to my servers and clients. That seemed to take care of it for a couple weeks and I foolishly thought problem solved -- until it returned. In contrast, I never have problems accessing the same shares from my other Win-7 PC's. There is obviously a Win-7 networking complexity that plays hell with other non-MS devices trying to access SMB shares. That same Win-7 server also runs Mezzmo DLNA server which is what I use to stream all the BD.m2ts rips. The Live-SMP's have never once had an issue connecting through Mezzmo.

I finally gave up and moved the HDTV captures to my D-Link NAS units where I store all the DVD.iso rips. The Live's never have a problem accessing their Linux SAMBA shares.

I don't blame the Live, I blame MS.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5016 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

I have one share that requires a password. Once set up, I've never been prompted again.

BUT I do occasionally get prompted on a non-password-protected share, and have to click the checkmark to access it. That particular idiosyncrasy has never occurred on any other device, so it does seem to be SMP-related...

On a fairly unrelated note, my WIN7 & 8 systems reconnect to the password-protected drive automatically, but Vista makes me run a batch file every time; then once logged on I have about 3 seconds to access the drive before I lose the logon; and then I have to keep a folder open for my entire session to retain the logon. I don't know if that's normal Vista behavior or I need some kind of config tweak...

CC

post #5017 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Kelson. Yeah, I suppose I don't really mean to bomb on the SMP, but rather, on the process, period. It just seems that these issues should simply not exist at this point in 2014. It's so frustrating to a non IT guy when this seemingly simple task (for 2014, anyway) just cannot lock in and be done.

Someone gave me a tip on modifying the registry to better equip my PC for sharing so perhaps I'll try that if things don't settle down.

James

post #5018 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Someone gave me a tip on modifying the registry to better equip my PC for sharing so perhaps I'll try that if things don't settle down.
That's exactly what I mean about Win-7. We should not have to be hacking the registry keys to get simple file-sharing with non-Windows devices to work.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5019 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I concur 100%. At this point I've given up on having it all with an MP...or even a B level experience-- I just want something that looks "decent" and is relatively reliable.

When I move up to a new PRE/PRO that can send HDMI audio to zones this will all end...a $150-$175 NUC to run XBMC and that'll be that.

James

post #5020 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Patience, patience - I read somewhere that MS is hard at work on a Bill Gates Centennial version of Windows that will address all these problems - the only holdup is development of processors that can do 500 teraFLOPS. And you'll be able to reboot in less time than Windows 3.1 on an 80286!

CC

post #5021 of 5028 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, and it may or my not be a solution/workround for others, but adding local storage to the SMP (an 8GB USB stick in my case) solved(?) all the problems of disappearing Media Library shares for me.

I messed around with power-up sequences, power-down sequences, Master Browser settings, sharing, logons, but plugging that little stick in cured my particular headaches. I set it up with one small video file present.

The SMP seems to do scans when in standby. If the media storage PCs are off, there is nowhere to store/save the Library info without local storage. It appears to be called uniondb.cas_xxxx.... Sometimes I have to rescan the shares to find new files, but it always remembers the directories.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #5022 of 5028 Old Today, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, and it may or my not be a solution/workround for others, but adding local storage to the SMP (an 8GB USB stick in my case) solved(?) all the problems of disappearing Media Library shares for me.
I do this... Though it wasn't an issue for me with disappearing shares, having a local copy of the media library database speeds things up quite a bit just with browsing / searching, because it's not having to access the database file over the network.

It's a fairly simple "fix" -- just plug in a blank FAT32-formatted USB stick, and reboot the box. The WDTV will create a consolidated copy of the database on the memory stick, and voila.
post #5023 of 5028 Old Today, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I messed around with power-up sequences, power-down sequences, Master Browser settings, sharing, logons, but plugging that little stick in cured my particular headaches. I set it up with one small video file present.

The SMP seems to do scans when in standby. If the media storage PCs are off, there is nowhere to store/save the Library info without local storage. It appears to be called uniondb.cas_xxxx.... Sometimes I have to rescan the shares to find new files, but it always remembers the directories.
FWIW my local drive has the .wd_tv folder with that file but still loses the shares, so there must be another factor involved...

CC

post #5024 of 5028 Old Today, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
I do this... Though it wasn't an issue for me with disappearing shares, having a local copy of the media library database speeds things up quite a bit just with browsing / searching, because it's not having to access the database file over the network.

It's a fairly simple "fix" -- just plug in a blank FAT32-formatted USB stick, and reboot the box. The WDTV will create a consolidated copy of the database on the memory stick, and voila.
I have those .wd_tv folders on every share as well as the local drive - since I've moved stuff around so much lately I'm thinking it might be a good idea to delete them all and see if the SMP will consolidate everything on the local drive?

CC

post #5025 of 5028 Old Today, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I have those .wd_tv folders on every share as well as the local drive - since I've moved stuff around so much lately I'm thinking it might be a good idea to delete them all and see if the SMP will consolidate everything on the local drive?
It doesn't consolidate everything -- there will still be .wd_tv folders on every share and drive.

The consolidated database is a single file made up of all those others -- it's got the name "uniondb" or something like that in the file name, with the MAC address of the WDTV.

Each WDTV will have only one UNIONDB file that it uses.
post #5026 of 5028 Old Today, 08:42 AM

Quote:
It doesn't consolidate everything -- there will still be .wd_tv folders on every share and drive.

The consolidated database is a single file made up of all those others -- it's got the name "uniondb" or something like that in the file name, with the MAC address of the WDTV.

Each WDTV will have only one UNIONDB file that it uses.
Oops - should have looked in the folders. So I guess nothing to be gained by forcing a refresh?

[Edit] For example, I'm wondering if I might be confusing it when I swap various network drives in and out of the share mix - which I'm guessing might leave stale data in that uniondb file...

CC

Last edited by cc_in_oh; Today at 11:56 AM. Reason: add'l comment
post #5027 of 5028 Old Today, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

It seems to be pretty good not leaving stale data behind in the union file.

In fact, if you delete the share that contains the union file, the file itself will be "abandoned," and a new one will be created on another share.

IIRC, unless there's a Local USB disk, the alphabetically first Share Name will hold the uniondb file.

Since the database itself is just a cheesy sqlite database "flat file", it can't do garbage collection that efficiently. Therefore, I occasionally clear the media library and let it rebuild.

But, I don't think it'll solve the disappearing share issue you've seen.
post #5028 of 5028 Old Today, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It seems to be pretty good not leaving stale data behind in the union file.

In fact, if you delete the share that contains the union file, the file itself will be "abandoned," and a new one will be created on another share.

IIRC, unless there's a Local USB disk, the alphabetically first Share Name will hold the uniondb file.

Since the database itself is just a cheesy sqlite database "flat file", it can't do garbage collection that efficiently. Therefore, I occasionally clear the media library and let it rebuild.

But, I don't think it'll solve the disappearing share issue you've seen.
Thanks - interesting info. I'll soon be replacing the local 750GB drive with a 1.5TB containing all my movies (they're a small fraction of my TV content) so it will rebuild at that time. I've got a wireless keyboard on the 2nd USB but hardly ever use it so I might end up hanging 2 drives on the SMP. (Gotta feel sorry for those Roku and FireTV users without the flexibility of 2 fully functional USB's)...

CC

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page