3Likes

post #5041 of 5060 Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
I think if you simply read the user's manual, it'll be fairly clear what all the changes are.

I have done my homework, and it looks like both support the same file formats, not seeing anything new on that horizon. In your opinion, what led you to upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5060 Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2E151 View Post
I have done my homework, and it looks like both support the same file formats, not seeing anything new on that horizon. In your opinion, what led you to upgrade?
Media Library with metadata support, mainly.
post #5043 of 5060 Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone here know how to lose the forum's ACTIVE TOPICS panel? Search didn't turn up anything...

Thanks...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5044 of 5060 Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
while I was streaming a m k v movie. Actually streaming through 2 machines at the same time. 1 machine is this wd live, the other is my samsung 5900 bluray player.

I found that the sound is identical. Oh ya, everything is hdmi into my denon 4520 avr. But the picture. It just seams that the bluray player just is so much clearer, vivid, more detailed picture.

And I have checked, double checked over and over trying to see if some setting might be different. I know on the avr every input can have their own settings. But ive made sure ther are all the same.

Any idea what I might be missing. I cant see an hdmi cable making a difference. Thats the only thing I havent tried.

Ive got every thing strickly passing signels streight throught. And only 1 in put to my tv from the avr....

I want to keep using the wd live, cause I can almost always fast forward and rewind, works great with universal media player. Im sure ill keep using it, the picture is stiil good. But, after seeing what the bluray player can do. Not to mention, not all movies play, with out sound cutting out. Say, every 20 minutes.

Its still the best box ( media player, streamer ) ive ever used...
post #5045 of 5060 Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
Oh ya, everything is hdmi into my denon 4520 avr. But the picture. It just seams that the bluray player just is so much clearer, vivid, more detailed picture.
I have compared the WD TV to several devices (HTPC, Blu-ray player, etc) and found the image identical outside of dynamic contrast. If I disable such on the other devices A/Bing a 120" image they look identical. My guess is the Blu-ray player is applying one or more image enhancements via its settings or they are configured by default. If you prefer the processed look that's that and not much you can do. I try to disable all of the enhancements at the source level and let my display (projector in this case) apply whatever tweaking I might happen to prefer. Such as dynamic contrast to give the image a little more pop without any edge enhancement.
post #5046 of 5060 Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thats what im thinking. But I cant find any thing else to disable on the bluray player.

I do have another question....

I noticed that a few movies dont accurately tell the movie lenth... ie: 18:18...
It says the movie is 18 minutes and 18 seconds long. And seems to give a hard time if I want to jump around in the time line any...

Is that the movie format. ( streaming movie from my nas )
post #5047 of 5060 Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
I noticed that a few movies dont accurately tell the movie lenth... ie: 18:18...
It says the movie is 18 minutes and 18 seconds long. And seems to give a hard time if I want to jump around in the time line any...

Is that the movie format. ( streaming movie from my nas )
I've seen that on rare occasion and I believe it is something a little wonky with the video file.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5048 of 5060 Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was playing around with youtube and I found two apps. One IHO is a dog's breakfast (the one with youtube spelled out in red letters) because it starts to an exhaustive search after typing just a few letters in the search filed. The other youtube app which is just blakc and white is miles better and doesn't do a search until one actually presses the search button. It works very well. Why have the other app on there? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

The other thing I noticed is that I can pair my mobile device to you tube so I can search youtube on my device and presss play on the selected video and it comes up automatically on the TV display. Has anyone tried doing that with a Blackberry Playbook?
post #5049 of 5060 Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Why have the other app on there? It doesn't make sense to me at all.
The "other" app is the WD-developed app that's been there since Day 1 of the Live Hub (the predecessor to this box.)

After some time after release, YouTube wrote their own app (also known as "YouTube Leanback") and REQUIRED it be put on all set top boxes (including WDs) as part of the licensing agreement.

Initially, the YouTube-provided app was TERRIBLE -- it would start automatically playing a random video (sometimes with disastrous results: Very "Adult"-level content, cursing, or whatever) as soon as the app started, and navigation was horrible.

WD left their own app on there, possibly due to the outcry of people who were struck with the horrible nature and un-family-friendliness of the "new" app.

But years have passed, and Leanback has improved quite a lot.
post #5050 of 5060 Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
The "other" app is the WD-developed app that's been there since Day 1 of the Live Hub (the predecessor to this box.)

After some time after release, YouTube wrote their own app (also known as "YouTube Leanback") and REQUIRED it be put on all set top boxes (including WDs) as part of the licensing agreement.

Initially, the YouTube-provided app was TERRIBLE -- it would start automatically playing a random video (sometimes with disastrous results: Very "Adult"-level content, cursing, or whatever) as soon as the app started, and navigation was horrible.

WD left their own app on there, possibly due to the outcry of people who were struck with the horrible nature and un-family-friendliness of the "new" app.

But years have passed, and Leanback has improved quite a lot.

I can understand the licensing thing but its no way near as effective as the app provided by WD.
post #5051 of 5060 Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can understand the licensing thing but its no way near as effective as the app provided by WD.
I think one of us was backward. The WD-written app hasn't been updated in years. The You-tube provided app has been updated frequently (I don't think it's firmware-based, so they can update it between different WD updates.)

The WD-Written app is the one with the tabs across the bottom that resemble the main WD user interface.
post #5052 of 5060 Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think one of us was backward. The WD-written app hasn't been updated in years. The You-tube provided app has been updated frequently (I don't think it's firmware-based, so they can update it between different WD updates.)

The WD-Written app is the one with the tabs across the bottom that resemble the main WD user interface.
That's why I described the apps according to color. The black and white youtube app has the search and preferences and other tabs on the bottom and this thing just flies. The search field on the youtube app in red letters is located at the top left corner. I hope this helps.

Last edited by 3db; 07-23-2014 at 12:35 PM.
post #5053 of 5060 Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 PM
3db
Advanced Member

Clearing YouTube search history

Does anyone know how to clear the YouTube search history without during a reset?
post #5054 of 5060 Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Does anyone know how to clear the YouTube search history without during a reset?
I think that is stored at the YouTube site.
post #5055 of 5060 Old Yesterday, 04:51 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post
I think that is stored at the YouTube site.
I don't believe so because I don't see the history from my other media streaming devices.
post #5056 of 5060 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Just going by mine, I went in to the youtube app on the WDTV SMP, then went to search which shows my last 10 searches. If I go to the end of the searches there is a box that allows me to clear that search history.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #5057 of 5060 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Just going by mine, I went in to the youtube app on the WDTV SMP, then went to search which shows my last 10 searches. If I go to the end of the searches there is a box that allows me to clear that search history.
I will have to check this out. I may have missed that
post #5058 of 5060 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When will wd send out a update for the live. I hope they add the watch ESPN app
post #5059 of 5060 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan35611 View Post
Only WD knows...and they never tell until they release it
post #5060 of 5060 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan35611 View Post
It's been 7 months since the 12/13 update that added DTS-HD and they have released a "new" model to take the place of the Live-SMP. I'm not holding my breath for continued support of the Live-SMP.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page