*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #5131 of 5158 Old 08-12-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Brought a couple of WDTV Live-SMP refurb models from Amazon a few years ago. Been sitting in my closet since then.

All this time I have been using my trusty old WDTV Live model. After reading this and some of the other WDTV Live-SMP threads. And after giving the old WDTV Live model to my niece. I decided to hook up the WDTV Live-SMP last night.

Still plays all my K-Dramas in 720/1080p mkv, avi, & mp4 files. Only thing I would probably use is UTube to play more KBS K-Drama, Music, & Variety shows. Might also give Netflix a try also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5158 Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New Theme and Local Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
I have upgraded and taken a quick look at the new firmware.

The grid UI is pretty useless if you need to access files as far as I can tell. All it seems to offer is a new way of dealing with services, which I don't use. I went back to the Mochi theme rather quickly. The grid UI doesn't seem to give any access to local or network storage! Strange thing.
Actually, you can get access but its not intuitive. Somehow I popped up a left side menu which gave me the choice of "All." Looking through there I found a "Music" tile which got me to my NAS and my music.

I'll probably end up back with the old theme as I haven't seen any real advantage given I mostly use my WD to stream local network content.
post #5133 of 5158 Old 08-12-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post
Actually, you can get access but its not intuitive. Somehow I popped up a left side menu which gave me the choice of "All." Looking through there I found a "Music" tile which got me to my NAS and my music.

I'll probably end up back with the old theme as I haven't seen any real advantage given I mostly use my WD to stream local network content.
I saw that - red or yellow key I think - but I thought All was just to display all services rather than one of the subsets - I'll have another look.

But if Home can't be changed to something other than Services this has to be the worst UI design since Edlin.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5134 of 5158 Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I saw that - red or yellow key I think - but I thought All was just to display all services rather than one of the subsets - I'll have another look.

But if Home can't be changed to something other than Services this has to be the worst UI design since Edlin.
There's a "Music" / "Video" / etc tile that gets you to a place where you can find local content. Gave me quite a WTF moment when I first saw nothing but services....
post #5135 of 5158 Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you add desired location to favorites it shows up on the grid.
post #5136 of 5158 Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes, all the old "tabs" from Mochi are available via "tiles" if you want them. Just add them from the Services section to your home screen.

I love the grid theme. It gives much faster access to what I want... And ANY file can be added as a tab, so my playlists are quickly accessed.
post #5137 of 5158 Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
The grid UI is pretty useless if you need to access files as far as I can tell.
Apart from the huge tile VIDEO, you mean? You can also add a link to a subdir on a certain drive using the OPTIONS button.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5138 of 5158 Old 08-13-2014, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok, thats not totaly useless then, but when what you listen to mostly is files from a usb key or network share, I think you are better off with the Mochi theme. But I'll give the grid another look...
post #5139 of 5158 Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 AM

OK so I added Videos to Home, deleted everything else, opened Videos and added each share to Home. So I get Media Lib:Folder View with same content as before, but without option to display as a list so I only see half of the share names. It saves me one press of OK.

As far as I can tell, ML is still the only way to aggregate multiple shares into one view.

My ML has always just been the share root folders, but if I wanted subfolders in the aggregate view, the ability to add links to Home seems like a definite improvement vs. having to add them to ML.

Hopefully there are other useful features I'm still overlooking...

CC

post #5140 of 5158 Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What the difference between the apps "YouTube" and "YouTube Videos"?

I updated the firmware successfully last night and decided to stay with the old theme. I went to check out the YouTube app, and saw there are now two. I haven't used YouTube on my WD TV Live in a long time (mostly use my xbox), so I was confused what's going on. I also couldn't sign in to YouTube with my regular login. Is there some trick to this?
post #5141 of 5158 Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Erick, there have always been two YouTube apps. The old WD-Provided YouTube, and the YouTube-provided "YouTube Leanback" app.
post #5142 of 5158 Old 08-14-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I read the WDLive doesn't support gapless playback so I haven't considered using it for any type of music.

Edit= Guess I also put this in the wrong thread as I bought 4th gen... didn't notice the two separate threads.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 08-14-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #5143 of 5158 Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just looking at the latest firmware release and the new Grid UI option. So far, has anyone found any significant advantages or disadvantages in comparison to the standard Mochi theme?

Regards,

Lt. Dang

It's life Jim..... But not as we know it.
post #5144 of 5158 Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dang View Post
Just looking at the latest firmware release and the new Grid UI option. So far, has anyone found any significant advantages or disadvantages in comparison to the standard Mochi theme?

Regards,

Lt. Dang
I think at this point it is all just a matter of taste. I installed the update on one of my Live-SMP's and it left everything alone at the UI level. I had to go into the setup menu to find the selection for the Grid UI. So there is no reason to Not install the update to get any of the fixes -- I'll probably do the rest of them tonight.

So you can easily stick with Mochii or go with Grid -- it's just a matter of taste and whether you like the look of a tablet/cell phone UI or not.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5145 of 5158 Old 08-15-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I think at this point it is all just a matter of taste. I installed the update on one of my Live-SMP's and it left everything alone at the UI level. I had to go into the setup menu to find the selection for the Grid UI. So there is no reason to Not install the update to get any of the fixes -- I'll probably do the rest of them tonight.

So you can easily stick with Mochii or go with Grid -- it's just a matter of taste and whether you like the look of a tablet/cell phone UI or not.
I personally like the Titan Live theme.
post #5146 of 5158 Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

For me it was the first time I ever had to do a Rollback. I liked the Grid UI, messed up my Network Shares. It would be slow or freeze up. Only on Shares
post #5147 of 5158 Old 08-16-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post
For me it was the first time I ever had to do a Rollback. I liked the Grid UI, messed up my Network Shares. It would be slow or freeze up. Only on Shares
Are you wired or WiFi? No problems for my 3 network shares on WiFi so far. I have my fingers crossed that maybe the new FW will fix my intermittent slow connection problem - it's been a few weeks so I'm about due for a recurrence...

CC

post #5148 of 5158 Old 08-16-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Are you wired or WiFi? No problems for my 3 network shares on WiFi so far. I have my fingers crossed that maybe the new FW will fix my intermittent slow connection problem - it's been a few weeks so I'm about due for a recurrence...
Wired. Everything else worked fine, just Shares...
post #5149 of 5158 Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had to pull the plug, which I should have done anyway, and force a reboot after the FW update. My sling connection kept dropping every 20 seconds or so. After reboot it was rock solid again going for several hours. Shares and everything works and plays fine like before. I'll go around an update my other 2 this afternoon.
post #5150 of 5158 Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
So what's the verdict on this FW upgrade? As usual, if it ain't broke...
post #5151 of 5158 Old 08-18-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
So what's the verdict on this FW upgrade? As usual, if it ain't broke...
None of the new "features" are important to me but I'm interested to see if it might work a little better than before in my WiFi multiple network share setup. So far so good but my problems were intermittent so it will take a while to see if they have shuffled off this mortal coil for good...

If you haven't had any problems and the new features aren't important to you I would hold off on the update for now. But OTOH you may end up having to do it eventually to get the next iteration so it's more a matter of when, not if...
jkasanic likes this.

CC

post #5152 of 5158 Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 PM

Alright.. I updated the firmware..no problems that I can see so far..I have a 1 terebyte hard drive..my M2ts movies play perfectly well.. and they are all there where they are supposed to be, no problems there.. but I AM wondering.. in Netflix.. what is goin' on? Sure.. Netflix indicates that I am receiveing 720 HD.. BUT then also indicates a setting for most tv shows and movies of 1080 SD.. SD? Is this a NEW catagory of High Definition video that I wasn't aware of ? ;>) Just wondering.. the colors seem to be overbright as well,, this is at low color setting on my Samsung.. the picture also seems to be not as sharply defined as it was before the update of the firmware.. that is.. I seem to have a softer picture..but - maybe that's just these old eyes.. sigh.. BUT I AM wondering about that 1080 SD setting.. wonder WHY they have this setting? Thanks.. ~

Last edited by Sinatrafan; 08-19-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5153 of 5158 Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatrafan View Post
but I AM wondering.. in Netflix.. what is goin' on? Sure.. Netflix indicates that I am receiveing 720 HD.. BUT then also indicates a setting for most tv shows and movies of 1080 SD.. SD? Is this a NEW catagory of High Definition video that I wasn't aware of ? ;>) Just wondering.. the colors seem to be overbright as well,, this is at low color setting on my Samsung.. the picture also seems to be not as sharply defined as it was before the update of the firmware.. that is.. I seem to have a softer picture..but - maybe that's just these old eyes.. sigh.. BUT I AM wondering about that 1080 SD setting.. wonder WHY they have this setting? Thanks.. ~
It's a glitch. Weirdness has happened to the display before after updates to the app on the PS3 in the past. It was corrected when the techs noticed it.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5154 of 5158 Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
1080 SuperHD?

It has nothing to do with the firmware update. I've seen that the past few weeks on my WDTV, and haven't updated the firmware yet.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #5155 of 5158 Old 08-20-2014, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My WDTV Live Streaming controller when i'm watching Netflix just does not answer after that latest update and sometimes the subtitles in the movies just freeze up.
post #5156 of 5158 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Slow TV Show Episode Navigation

Navigating movies has always been a snap but it's TV show episodes that have become painfully slow. All movies and TV shows are ripped, turned into MKV and copied onto the USB Drive using the same tools. This slow activity starts once the “Get Content Info” is finished. Whether the shows are put in their own directory or thrown right on the root as soon as I navigate past a string of TV show episodes it stalls for about 2-4 seconds navigating from episode to episode. If I attempt to hit the options button on the remote when a TV show is highlighted there is an equal pause of about 2-4 seconds just to bring up the menu of options. Once I'm past the show and back into movies it's lightning fast navigating and using the options button until I hit another string of TV show episodes. Doesn't matter if the MKV come from a blurray source or DVDs.

Have done all the regular stuff...reset the box, formatted the hard drive and populated it with only MKV files with or without the media library on. Once that show has retrieved its content info the TV show navigation turns to molasses. Can't figure this one out. It started in the past couple of months and I don't think there has been a firmware update for quite a while now so I don't know what has changed. Has anyone had similar experience?
post #5157 of 5158 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

Nevermind...it's been over a month since any TV shows were watched and somehow “check firmware updates” was left on just in time to start watching TV shows again. Turns out rolling back the firmware solved the issue that nasty bug filled firmware WD released last week and everything is back to normal. Here I thought they had forgotten about this little wonder box...after a week of banging my head against the wall I kinda wished they had.
post #5158 of 5158 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiicc View Post
Nevermind...it's been over a month since any TV shows were watched and somehow “check firmware updates” was left on just in time to start watching TV shows again. Turns out rolling back the firmware solved the issue that nasty bug filled firmware WD released last week and everything is back to normal. Here I thought they had forgotten about this little wonder box...after a week of banging my head against the wall I kinda wished they had.
I haven't had any trouble with the new FW - ~4800 TV episodes on 3 WiFi shares. I don't use content info though - with too many "incorrect" file names and slow DSL it was really bogging down...

CC

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List