30Likes

post #5311 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Seems like stripping it out would invite a class action by buyers. OTOH Netflix changes could render it useless if WD fails to support them...
Netflix is also pasted accross the box to of the WDBHG70000NBK-HESN so if they do strip it wont they go against some regulation or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
Netflix is also pasted accross the box to of the WDBHG70000NBK-HESN so if they do strip it wont they go against some regulation or something?
I would assume there are loopholes in the fine print, but why would they want to alienate a customer base that presumably has a lot of ongoing overlap with their storage products?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5313 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've noticed a strange but consistent behaviour with my WD. If I stream a movie or music from my USB attached hard drive and then switch to Netflix the next day, I lose the sound. I have to pull the power from the device to get it back. Its a pain in the a?? because this step always involves recompiling the media library. Anyone else run into this?
post #5314 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
I've noticed a strange but consistent behaviour with my WD. If I stream a movie or music from my USB attached hard drive and then switch to Netflix the next day, I lose the sound. I have to pull the power from the device to get it back. Its a pain in the a?? because this step always involves recompiling the media library. Anyone else run into this?
But not if you switch to Netflix the same day?

CC

post #5315 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Not on my WD but I did on a BD player. Whenever I played something (DVD, BD, or file) with AC-3 audio, Netflix would lose digital audio. (analog L/R still worked) My workaround was to play a file with mpeg or mp3 sound before logging back into Netflix.

I'm not convinced the player was at fault, possibly my receiver was locking up its decoder. My workaround was easier than diagnosis, so I never explored it.

It's possible that playing some specific (experiment?) audio type might reset the audio output or decoder.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #5316 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 08:01 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will try it tonight when I get home to see if it does it on the same day.
post #5317 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
Not on my WD but I did on a BD player. Whenever I played something (DVD, BD, or file) with AC-3 audio, Netflix would lose digital audio. (analog L/R still worked) My workaround was to play a file with mpeg or mp3 sound before logging back into Netflix.

I'm not convinced the player was at fault, possibly my receiver was locking up its decoder. My workaround was easier than diagnosis, so I never explored it.

It's possible that playing some specific (experiment?) audio type might reset the audio output or decoder.
You mean it could be a HDMI handshake problem between the WD and AVR?
post #5318 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
You mean it could be a HDMI handshake problem between the WD and AVR?
It's possible but more likely to be a bug in the firmware of the WD. It was reported in the BD player forum for my unit for over a year and was never resolved. It would be unusual for your (completely different) AVR to respond the same as my AVR. Also, I was using Toslink digital optical, not the HDMI.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #5319 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I will try it tonight when I get home to see if it does it on the same day.
And just out of curiosity, do you really have to unplug it? In theory reboot or hard-off should do the same thing. I've only ever had to unplug a few times when it stopped responding to the remote...

Recompiling the media library is an issue for me too. It's definitely a bug IMO for it to falsely tell me the "source has been disconnected" or "no media available" when it's still scanning and does eventually find everything without my intervention. It's getting to the point where I'm considering reorganizing network share folders so only the current TV season is included in the ML. Old seasons will still be on the same drive but I'll only connect them when I need to...

CC

post #5320 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 43
how do you turn it off without pulling the power?
post #5321 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
how do you turn it off without pulling the power?
Hold the power button until it shuts down. Restart (sorry I said "reboot") is in the system menu - not to be confused with factory "reset". Either one is supposed to be equivalent to pulling the plug...

CC

post #5322 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Hold the power button until it shuts down. Restart (sorry I said "reboot") is in the system menu - not to be confused with factory "reset". Either one is supposed to be equivalent to pulling the plug...
and that works even when the unit is totally frozen?
post #5323 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
and that works even when the unit is totally frozen?
No, like I said, if the remote is unresponsive pulling the plug is the only option...

CC

post #5324 of 5358 Old 10-17-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
Really? The boxes of the 4th gen I've seen don't mention Netflix.

Quote:
Anyone else run into this?
Nope.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5325 of 5358 Old 10-18-2014, 09:42 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
I tried this twice on the same day...playing both an MP3 and a movie ISO from the USB attached storage and switching back to netflix after each try and I got sound. That was at 6m last night. I just went and tried netflix again today at 1m and no sound. This is odd. I have a workaround by removing power from the WD and plugging it back in again. The only drawback is the recompiling of the metadata on the hard drive which takes between 5 and 10 minutes.

Last edited by 3db; 10-18-2014 at 09:49 AM.
post #5326 of 5358 Old 10-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I tried this twice on the same day...playing both an MP3 and a movie ISO from the USB attached storage and switching back to netflix after each try and I got sound. That was at 6m last night. I just went and tried netflix again today at 1m and no sound. This is odd. I have a workaround by removing power from the WD and plugging it back in again. The only drawback is the recompiling of the metadata on the hard drive which takes between 5 and 10 minutes.
Very strange. Not that it affects the real problem, but did you try restarting without re-plugging?

And when you say "metadata" I suspect you mean rescanning the ML? You should be able to interrupt that and use "folder view" to get to the file you want to play - then when you're done it should resume scanning...

Edit>> Also maybe try setting automatic scanning to weekly or turn off altogether...

CC

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 10-18-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Addl comment
post #5327 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Very strange. Not that it affects the real problem, but did you try restarting without re-plugging?

And when you say "metadata" I suspect you mean rescanning the ML? You should be able to interrupt that and use "folder view" to get to the file you want to play - then when you're done it should resume scanning...

Edit>> Also maybe try setting automatic scanning to weekly or turn off altogether...
I tried powering it off and on but that didn't work. The only way to correct it is by removing the power all together.

I have the ML set to manual update but removing the power always starts the rescan.
post #5328 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I tried powering it off and on but that didn't work. The only way to correct it is by removing the power all together.

I have the ML set to manual update but removing the power always starts the rescan.
Sorry, that was a dumb suggestion - of course it would have to rescan on startup regardless of settings.

So is all your content on one USB drive? If so you could try turning off ML and just using that drive as content source to see if that would speed things up?

CC

post #5329 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have two WD live hd media players, one Asus media player, one Windows 7 computer and one Linux/Ubuntu 14.1 computer on the network.
I have a USB hard drive connected to one of the WD Live media players and it acts as the hub for the movie streaming.
I am using a Trendnet S16Dg gigabit 16 port switch (1 year old).
My internet speeds are fine - about 20 mbps I think.

I can access and play Blu ray movies on the network - no buffering issues. For got whether it says 33 mbps or not, while starting the bd movie via the network.

How ever, when I try to upload or upload a large .iso file onto the hard drive on WD live media player from either my linux or windows computer, the upload speed is only 7 mbps. I do have SSDs on both computers.

Any ideas as to why the download/upload speed is so slow? Again - it is not windows dependant. It happens on Linux too.. So, windows solutions would not make any difference, I would assume.

Thanks..
post #5330 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
I have two WD live hd media players, one Asus media player, one Windows 7 computer and one Linux/Ubuntu 14.1 computer on the network.
I have a USB hard drive connected to one of the WD Live media players and it acts as the hub for the movie streaming.
I am using a Trendnet S16Dg gigabit 16 port switch (1 year old).
My internet speeds are fine - about 20 mbps I think.

I can access and play Blu ray movies on the network - no buffering issues. For got whether it says 33 mbps or not, while starting the bd movie via the network.

How ever, when I try to upload or upload a large .iso file onto the hard drive on WD live media player from either my linux or windows computer, the upload speed is only 7 mbps. I do have SSDs on both computers.

Any ideas as to why the download/upload speed is so slow? Again - it is not windows dependant. It happens on Linux too.. So, windows solutions would not make any difference, I would assume.

Thanks..
7mbps or 7MB/s?
post #5331 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
7mbps or 7MB/s?
What is the difference? mbps - mega bits per second! Am I missing something, other than capitalization?
I would rather not debate the nomenclature of .. MB/s Vs mpbs and would prefer to get back to the point (unless I made some kind of mistake, in nomenclature).

I would appreciate suggestions - have any of you tried to upload from your computer to a drive connected via USB of the WD live media player?
post #5332 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
What is the difference? mbps - mega bits per second! Am I missing something, other than capitalization?
I would rather not debate the nomenclature of .. MB/s Vs mpbs and would prefer to get back to the point (unless I made some kind of mistake, in nomenclature).

I would appreciate suggestions - have any of you tried to upload from your computer to a drive connected via USB of the WD live media player?
Yes, you probably did make a mistake because MB/s and mbps are two very different measures of speed. The difference is whether the 'B' is capitalized or not

b=bits and is the speed that networks are usually rated on
B=Bytes and is the term most people are familiar with when talking about storage

7MB/s=56mbps

7MB/s would probably be somewhat reasonable for a wireless transfer to a USB storage device on a WDTV Live, while 7mbps would be very low.

Most likely, your wireless network is the bottleneck especially if you are using the wirless connection on the WDTV live instead of an ethernet cable.

Last edited by smitbret; 10-19-2014 at 09:18 AM.
post #5333 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Yes, you probably did make a mistake because MB/s and mbps are two very different measures of speed.

7MB/s=56mbps

7MB/s would probably be somewhat reasonable for a wireless transfer to a USB storage device on a WDTV Live, while 7mbps would be very low.

Most likely, your wireless network is the bottleneck.
I didn't realize MB was for M BYTE vis bit in mbps.
Thanks for clarification.
The speed was 7 MB/S. That is normal, you say?
I have to assume that the number 30 showing up on the other media players, while accessing the first is 30 mbps - meaning - they are about the same speed as 7 MB/s?

I thought I could get more than 7 MB/s on the network. Not true?
post #5334 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I have to assume that the number 30 showing up on the other media players, while accessing the first is 30 mbps - meaning - they are about the same speed as 7 MB/s?

After looking at this, I need to back up.

Are you using wireless at any point in your network or is everything wired? If everything is wired then there may be something else going on.

The WDTV Live boxes are quirky because their network connection hardware seems to be capable of much better speeds than they actually get in real life. My WDTV Live Hub had a gigabit port but could never, ever get a speed test higher than 78mbps. That's even lower than Tbase100. I think, eventually, it was just chalked up to the limit of the Sigma SOC being limited only 700Mhz and unable to drive the port to its rated speeds. Think of it like putting Z-rated (159mph) performance tires on a Toyota Corolla that has a max speed of 89mph. I would bet the WDTV Lives have the same limitation. 7MB/s seems a little slow but I never used your specific model; I don't know that my Hub ever got above 9MB/s in real life transfers, 8.6ish seems to be the number that sticks in my head.

I think what it comes down to is that the boxes were made to stream/playback content up through BD quality which tops out at less than 50mbps and the boxes were built to that standard. They were never really intended to provide duty as a hub for large file transfers. They do what they are supposed to do and do it quite well, but these boxes weren't built to be pushed.

This thread has a little more on it:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Liv...ed/td-p/307866

I see your vision with your system and it would work, but those boxes will never be good for transferring large media files over the network. I discovered early on that it is much faster to just stick the file on a flash drive and then move it physically. You may even consider making your Win7 PC a 24/7 server.
post #5335 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

All of my network is wired.
I have tried a few NAS devices, including WD my cloud, Qnap and synology. None of them were faster - they were all at similar 7 MB/s speeds. Two of them would go off line on a rare occasion and they were much more inconvenient to use, than the WD Live media player! Therefore, I switched back to the WD media player.
post #5336 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

That transfer speed is normal, they are just not fast when it comes to network access of attached storage. Your wireless is not the bottleneck. Live-SMP's are wired to my network and a download to an attached USB drive from a PC runs around 6-7MBps.

The network hardware is 100Mbps but the CPU of the WD and the stack implementation are not built to maximize that connection. If you try to use the USB drive attached to a WD Live as a "server" to supply video to another unit, you will eventually run in to problems if there is any network congestion or you try to have the Live do more than 1 thing at a time -- it's simply not made for this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5337 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Your wireless is not the bottleneck. Live-SMP's are wired to my network and a download to an attached USB drive from a PC runs around 6-7MBps.
I don't use wireless.
Thanks for your comment that the PC based system is not running any faster either! I was going to try and copy from linux to windows and see how it goes - both of them are on SSDs but I couldn't figure out how to.

Is there no way to install a high speed NAS so that all of my WD players can access my network at very high speed? Maybe even at 100 mbps?

Last edited by audvid; 10-19-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #5338 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
All of my network is wired.
I have tried a few NAS devices, including WD my cloud, Qnap and synology. None of them were faster - they were all at similar 7 MB/s speeds. Two of them would go off line on a rare occasion and they were much more inconvenient to use, than the WD Live media player! Therefore, I switched back to the WD media player.
If your network is WIRED, but is only 100Mbit/second (100BaseT) ethernet, then you're never going to get more than 11-12MB/second transfers.

Any reasonable NAS should be able to get much fasdter than 7 MB/sec.

My WD My Cloud 2TB easily racks up 100-110 MB/sec (800-900 megabits/second) when reading.
My QNAP TS-410 and 412 can READ at 60-70 MB/sec (write at 25) on RAID5.
My WD My Cloud EX4 is a little slower, also RAID5.
My My Book Live & Duo are faster than my QNAPs.
post #5339 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I don't use wireless.
Thanks for your comment that the PC based system is not running any faster either! I was going to try and copy from linux to windows and see how it goes - both of them are on SSDs but I couldn't figure out how to.

Is there no way to install a high speed NAS so that all of my WD players can access my network at very high speed? Maybe even at 100 mbps?
No, your WDTV Live players are the weak link.
post #5340 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
I don't use wireless.
They are accessing your network plenty fast to accomplish the task they were built for -- streaming content.

I have a Media server and a couple NAS units on my network which is GigE backbone. The Live-SMP's with their 10/100 networking have no trouble pulling in and streaming the highest bitrate BD rips I have (>43Mbps). Where they fall down is network access to an attached USB drive. That functionality is a convenience to allow you to remotely manage attached storage on the WD Live without having to detach the drive and plug it into your PC -- that would be an issue if you had a multi-drive array attached. But that is the intent, not to use them as a NAS unit to supply other streamers.
audvid likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page