post #5341 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
They are accessing your network plenty fast to accomplish the task they were built for -- streaming content.

I have a Media server and a couple NAS units on my network which is GigE backbone. The Live-SMP's with their 10/100 networking have no trouble pulling in and streaming the highest bitrate BD rips I have (>43Mbps). Where they fall down is network access to an attached USB drive. That functionality is a convenience to allow you to remotely manage attached storage on the WD Live without having to detach the drive and plug it into your PC -- that would be an issue if you had a multi-drive array attached. But that is the intent, not to use them as a NAS unit to supply other streamers.
Very good point. I think I should stop discussing this now and accept that max file transfer is going to be 7 MB/s and I can learn to live with it.
As you know, if we unplug the drives from the WD streamer, we have to set up the inputs drives again.. so, to avoid that, I try to upload via network, without having to turn the WD streamer off.
Thanks for the clarification. This concludes my participation in this thread. I don't want to hijack the original intent of this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5358 Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
I think what it comes down to is that the boxes were made to stream/playback content up through BD quality which tops out at less than 50mbps
54 mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
As you know, if we unplug the drives from the WD streamer, we have to set up the inputs drives again..
Meaning what? You know you can add links to harddrive folders on the main page of the grid interface so you don't have to click down VIDEO > select content source ...?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5343 of 5358 Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Hold the power button until it shuts down. Restart (sorry I said "reboot") is in the system menu - not to be confused with factory "reset". Either one is supposed to be equivalent to pulling the plug...
Not quite.. at least not on mine. If I want to clear youtube searches, I have to perform a factory reset to clear them. Powering the unit off/on or unplugging it will not clear the searches.
post #5344 of 5358 Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
54 mbps.

Meaning what? You know you can add links to harddrive folders on the main page of the grid interface so you don't have to click down VIDEO > select content source ...?
I didn't know.. I will look into it.. Every time I disconnect the hard drive (after turning wd off)- and reconnect to the player, it wants to recatalog the movies.. I have to select the input drives again.. but I will try your suggestion..
post #5345 of 5358 Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Not quite.. at least not on mine. If I want to clear youtube searches, I have to perform a factory reset to clear them. Powering the unit off/on or unplugging it will not clear the searches.
I think I committed a dangling participle - I meant that hard-off or restart is supposed to be equivalent to pulling the plug. I would have thought that factory reset would revert all settings to default and probably clear network config, shares, passwords etc...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5346 of 5358 Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I think I committed a dangling participle
post #5347 of 5358 Old 10-21-2014, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone have any issue with thre "watched content marker" dissappering?

i watch films off a server i have at home, i can stream from it my WDTV live and works well, i also leave my WDTV live in standby when not use

however on the odd occasions, my WDTV live will decide to do a hard restart where with will boot up taking its time then all my watched content markers dissappear

anyway around this?
post #5348 of 5358 Old 10-21-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
does anyone have any issue with thre "watched content marker" dissappering?

i watch films off a server i have at home, i can stream from it my WDTV live and works well, i also leave my WDTV live in standby when not use

however on the odd occasions, my WDTV live will decide to do a hard restart where with will boot up taking its time then all my watched content markers dissappear

anyway around this?
If you're using the My Media Library as your content source, watched status will survive restarts.

AFAIK, the only thing that clears them from the Media Library is if the media library has to be rebuilt from scratch. (A Rescan is not a rebuild.)
bigup likes this.
post #5349 of 5358 Old 10-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone know what happens if I request meta data from a read-only network share? Is the WDTV still able to fetch the meta data for the title, and if so, where does it store it?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk
post #5350 of 5358 Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashtun View Post
Does anyone know what happens if I request meta data from a read-only network share? Is the WDTV still able to fetch the meta data for the title, and if so, where does it store it?

The WDTV Live stores the metadata in an .xml file in the same folder as the media file. If the folder is READ-ONLY and the WDTV Live is unable to write an .xml file then you won't get the metadata again. I imagine if the .xml file is already there, then it should be able to pull it up since it is only changed when you actually scrape.
post #5351 of 5358 Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
The WDTV Live stores the metadata in an .xml file in the same folder as the media file. If the folder is READ-ONLY and the WDTV Live is unable to write an .xml file then you won't get the metadata again. I imagine if the .xml file is already there, then it should be able to pull it up since it is only changed when you actually scrape.
Thanks for the quick response! I don't suppose there's any way to tweak the settings so that meta data for files on read-only network shares could be stored on a locally-connected USB stick?

post #5352 of 5358 Old 10-21-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashtun View Post
Thanks for the quick response! I don't suppose there's any way to tweak the settings so that meta data for files on read-only network shares could be stored on a locally-connected USB stick?

No.

And assuming the XML files are already there, they won't do much -- they'll be for Display only. The enhanced functionality the Media Library system provides is not available on Read-Only shares. That includes Searching, sorting, filtering, etc.
post #5353 of 5358 Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
No.

And assuming the XML files are already there, they won't do much -- they'll be for Display only. The enhanced functionality the Media Library system provides is not available on Read-Only shares. That includes Searching, sorting, filtering, etc.
I think it saves resume points there also?

I've never had any problems with giving the SMP write access. I would never do moves or deletes from the SMP though - they're much easier from Windows anyway...

Separating the metadata sounds cool, but maintaining the link between data and XML would be very error-prone even on a one-SMP network...

CC

post #5354 of 5358 Old 10-22-2014, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Network not available?

Anyone having a problem with the meta source managers on the wdtv? They arent pulling info from tmdb and tvdb. When I try to get content info manually, it says "network not available." Everything else works fine on the box.
post #5355 of 5358 Old 10-22-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 16
I've had this come up a few times, and each time its been related to the naming of the file itself, which seems a bit odd. After renaming the file to something more simple (e.g. changing a filename from one that might be representative of a downloaded one, to one that just includes the name of the movie), it has been scanned fine.
post #5356 of 5358 Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Power line adapter

Amazon has the Netgear XAVB1201 200mbps power line kit for $25 today - anyone familiar with it?

Thanks...

CC

post #5357 of 5358 Old 10-23-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Amazon has the Netgear XAVB1201 200mbps power line kit for $25 today - anyone familiar with it?

Thanks...
You want the XAVB5101 if you intend to stream over them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5358 of 5358 Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You want the XAVB5101 if you intend to stream over them.
Thanks - I wasn't sure if typical wiring was quiet enough to support 200 mbps much less 500. For the price I think I might get one anyway just to play around with...

CC

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page