32Likes

post #5401 of 5427 Old 11-14-2014, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
One possible reason your old TV worked is that it did not comply with HDMI standards. It may not have communicated with the Wd unit what it COULD do. Years ago I had an old DTivo that allowed pass through of DD5.1 via my display, but nothing else would. As my system expanded I had to redo all the connections to my AVR.
Thanks for the input. Upon investigating further, I think that I was wrong about the old TV decoding anything other than PCM audio, and what was actually happening was that the WDTV was detecting when the AVR went into standby and automatically switched its audio output setting to PCM for the newly detected output device. For some reason, with my new TV, this is not happening.

In summary: I recently upgraded my old, geneic 'no-name' TV with a brand new Samsung LED unit. Prior to this upgrade, everything worked perfectly. The WDTV is connected by HDMI to an AVR, which is then connected to the TV via HDMI. For some reason, my WDTV is failing to detect the change in audio device when my AVR is powered on or put into standby. Whereas before (with my old TV), if I was watching something with DD/DTS audio on the WDTV with the AVR turned on, and then put the AVR into standby (thus passing the signal through to the TV), the WDV would automatically detect this change in output device and switch its audio output to what was supported by the new output device (PCM).

I also have a DVB TV set-top box plugged into the same AVR, which outputs DD (2.0, 5.1) on selected channels, which does detect when the AVR is put into standby and changes its output to PCM for the TV. Which tells me that this isn't an issue with either the new TV or the AVR.

In the WDTV audio output settings, I've selected 'Digital Pass Through via HDMI Only (HDMI)'; and when choosing 'auto-detect' with the AVR switched on, the WDTV correctly detects all available audio codecs, but then fails to switch its audio output to PCM when I put the AVR into standby mode. Likewise, when I choose the auto-detect option when the AVR is in standby, the WDTV correctly detects that the TV only supports PCM audio. But again, the WDTV remains in PCM mode when I switch on the AVR.

I've tried a hard reset, firmware downgrade, changed HDMI cables around twice; and now I'm running out of ideas. I just don't understand why the WDTV was automatically switching its audio output format automatically with an older, unbranded cheap TV, but not with a new Samsung TV which is supposedly superior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5427 Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
does anyone else have a problem with the wd live auto updating covers for tv shows. it suppose to do it automatically that is how I have it set up
post #5403 of 5427 Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan35611 View Post
does anyone else have a problem with the wd live auto updating covers for tv shows. it suppose to do it automatically that is how I have it set up
Auto-updating covers?? I don't think so... How do you have it set up to do that?

As far as I know, once the content info is collected for any given file, it's never done again unless you manually force a re-fetch.
post #5404 of 5427 Old 11-18-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oppo 103

Hi,

I've used the wd tv live for a few years now, and have 2 8tb my book drives i stream from to two different tv's (each with own wd tv live box) works great, love it.

Problem i've had is in the basement theater. I have a Sony Receiver sending video through to my projector. As with my last receiver (onkyo) neither would accept the hdmi input from wd live.

My workaround has been to have an hdmi splitter, so when I want to watch the wd live, I have a direct hdmi input to the projector, with Audio sent via digital to the receiver so I can also have sound. It's always a pain in the butt and there are occasional lip sync issues.

I was looking at the Oppo 103, not as a replacement for the Wd live, but was wondering if any here have the WDLive plugged directly into the Oppo, then passing the full signal from the Oppo onto the receiver? If so, does the Oppo display the WDLive UI or it's own menu's?

Thanks,

Jason
post #5405 of 5427 Old 11-18-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
That's an interesting problem. I've had no issues connecting to any of my receivers, onkyo included. The onkyo I have can be picky about settings, but I suspect the issue is more with the receivers than with the WD units.
post #5406 of 5427 Old 11-18-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mmm i've never had issue passing through a WD TV through a Yamaha/Denon or Emotiva receiver - the joys of HDMI and HDCP. Before buying an Oppo, have you thoroughly trouble-shooted the current problem? I.e. reset to factory default the WDTV, changed HDMI cables, swapped that WDTV for another one in the house, etc?
post #5407 of 5427 Old 11-19-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well gents, now you both have me thinking. Before the Sony I had an Onkyo, and could never get it to work. When i got the Sony, same issue so I quickly went back to the workaround.

Was looking at the Oppo strictly for the upgrade to my PS3, and started wondering if I could also elliminate the workaround. But maybe I'll give a more thourough look this weekend at trying to make the Sony work. I have to admidt a tried a lot harder with the Onkyo and could never get it to happen, so only spent a minimal amount of time with the Sony. Will have to re-visit.

Nevertheless, still curious if anyone does use the wd with an oppo 103?
post #5408 of 5427 Old 11-19-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I have to chime in here as well. I have an Onkyo AVR and have had it for over 5 yr now. I've had 3 generations of WDTV Live players plugged into it via HDMI and currently have the WDTV Live-SMP plugged into the Onkyo HDMI. Never had an issue with the Onkyo passing HDMI video on through to my plasma. I think you must have something set improperly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5409 of 5427 Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It could also depend on the length of HDMI cable run. While I have an Integra DHC-80.3 (brother/sister to the Onkyo 5509) , I have had issues with it passing HDMI from my DirecTV receiver (HD unit only, no DVR) thru a Darbee Darblet to a Sony HW50ES projector. I initially had issues just passing video with nothing other than a source and the projector in the chain as my run is approx. 60'. Redmere cables from monoprice solved this issue (in fact, I even had to use a short Redmere between the Integra and Darblet to make every input work). Recently, I upgraded my DirecTV box and everything went to crap again. I've resorted to pulling the Darblet out of the chain for now and everything is working again. For a while I was concerned about my HDMI board going but it seems some devices in the chain just don't play nice together. Anyway, I know my situation is more complex than the OP but I wanted to include the longer HDMI run as a possible source of the problem as a lot of people experience this issue with projectors and AV equipment being in separate rooms.
post #5410 of 5427 Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well guys, i won't have a chance to play around with it till the weekend, but you are all getting me excited that it's user error, would would make me pretty happy to be honest.

I'll update later on. I may still buy the Oppo as an upgrade on the PS3, but if I could stream my WD through my reciever that would be huge.

Thanks for giving me hope gentlemen,

Cheers,

Jason.
post #5411 of 5427 Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I think he just meant that the SMP doesn't care whether it created the xml files or some program on the PC (or manually via Notepad or an xml editor for that matter). If it's there when you browse to that folder the SMP will associate it with the media file. Though of course a folder rescan, share rescan or Clear Media Library might be needed to refresh the SMP's view. And of course the root filename must be an exact match or the SMP will ignore it...
I've been doing some reading to get a better understanding.. Lets see if I get this right..

I rip my CDs to the attached storage and I use MP3tag to apply the cover art to the MP3s and other information such as artist, music genre etc. This is done either manually or by using MP3Tags lookup which uses Amazon, DiscDogs, etc. I save the cover art as a jpg at the same level that the MP3s reside for each album rip.

Any artist or album information that is found through step 1 is embedded in the MP3s. Is this the information that the WD built in scraper uses to display information of the artist? I was under the impression that if I did options-> get info, of teh selection I have playing, the WD would use the scraper to retrieve it from the database off the internet.
post #5412 of 5427 Old 11-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
I've been doing some reading to get a better understanding.. Lets see if I get this right..

I rip my CDs to the attached storage and I use MP3tag to apply the cover art to the MP3s and other information such as artist, music genre etc. This is done either manually or by using MP3Tags lookup which uses Amazon, DiscDogs, etc. I save the cover art as a jpg at the same level that the MP3s reside for each album rip.

Any artist or album information that is found through step 1 is embedded in the MP3s. Is this the information that the WD built in scraper uses to display information of the artist? I was under the impression that if I did options-> get info, of teh selection I have playing, the WD would use the scraper to retrieve it from the database off the internet.
That's my understanding, but the SMP would see the files you've already provided and so may think it doesn't have to do anything. IMO that's how it should work - if I've massaged an xml file the way I want it I wouldn't want the SMP to overwrite it...

And I don't think it would embed any info in the media file itself - with dozens of supported file types that seems like a potential support nightmare...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5413 of 5427 Old 11-21-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So is anybody successfully using the Slingbox application?

I can connect and even get good resolution, but the connection never lasts more than 4 minutes without stuttering and then disconnecting altogether. The HD Slingbox is at friend's house with high quality network. WDTV Live at my house has a wired connection without any other network issues (I stream from NAS/PCs/Internet all the time). I can connect and use the Slingbox on wired PC, wireless laptop, and phone without any issues. I have two WDTVs and both have same issue.

Tried troubleshooting: Reboots; changing wires; disconnecting everything else from network and turning off wireless; using switch to give QoS priority; Took newest updates; set static IP with port forwarding.

I spent fair amount of time on it months ago and gave up. Decided to use the holidays to revisit...

Last edited by DavidMP; 11-21-2014 at 05:13 PM.
post #5414 of 5427 Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMP View Post

I can connect and even get good resolution, but the connection never lasts more than 4 minutes without stuttering and then disconnecting altogether. The HD Slingbox is at friend's house with high quality network. WDTV Live at my house has a wired connection without any other network issues (I stream from NAS/PCs/Internet all the time). I can connect and use the Slingbox on wired PC, wireless laptop, and phone without any issues. I have two WDTVs and both have same issue.

Tried troubleshooting: Reboots; changing wires; disconnecting everything else from network and turning off wireless; using switch to give QoS priority; Took newest updates; set static IP with port forwarding.

I spent fair amount of time on it months ago and gave up. Decided to use the holidays to revisit...
Working fine for me. In fact, it's the only reason I own a WDTV Live. Using Static IP's and I only have a 50/5 connection. Using it mainly to provide DirecTV access to a TV in a bedroom. I'd suspect your friend's upload speed as the primary culprit but if it's working with other devices then tough to say. I assume you're using latest FW?
post #5415 of 5427 Old 11-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Working fine for me. In fact, it's the only reason I own a WDTV Live. Using Static IP's and I only have a 50/5 connection. Using it mainly to provide DirecTV access to a TV in a bedroom. I'd suspect your friend's upload speed as the primary culprit but if it's working with other devices then tough to say. I assume you're using latest FW?
Thanks for the input. It is encouraging to hear that it does for someone before I go to too much trouble.

Friend has Verizon FIOS with 75/75, and it works with everything else (even on PC to HDTV with high bitrate), so I don't think it is on his end. I had generation or two old FW on the WDTV and just upgraded to newest with no improvement. I'm now downgrading to a much older FW to test.
post #5416 of 5427 Old 11-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have a Slingbox 350 connected to my Dish dvr and 3 WDTV Live SMP and 3 Live Hubs, spread between my main house and my place at the lake and our condo in Las Vegas that I rarely use, but my dad stays at 6 or 7 months a year. I use the Sling and WDTV around the house and then Sling to the lake house on weekends and to Las Vegas from Oklahoma when on vacation or in Vegas or work. My dad does the same with his Slingbox. They have been very reliable for over a year now.

We both have Cox 100/10 in Oklahoma and Nevada and I have Windstream 7/1 at the lake. The sling works great with the WDTV and is a big reason I bought extras, beside being able to plug a drive in and take stuff with me to watch on weekends or on vacation. My dad will run the sling for 4 or 5hrs a day when he is in Vegas. I run it 3 or 4 hrs a day on weekends at the lake and several hours when at home. The hubs are hardwired and all but 1 of the SMP's is wireless Distance is a factor, I can't get the highest quality reliably in Las Vegas, but I get just under that, but my lake house is only 30 miles away and I get highest quality there even with the slow dsl. My home upload from Cox is very good.
post #5417 of 5427 Old 11-22-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am just wondering how you guys have you wd live tv setup? Do you guys connect a USB harddrive to your player or do you network it from a computer to stream?
post #5418 of 5427 Old 11-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Thanks osu1991, (off topic: Sic'em Bears! )

So more troubleshooting failure: Rollbacked firmware didn't help any. Then I used updated WD TV Live and directly connected to my cable modem. From cable to modem to WD TV Live. Used dhcp, no router, no forwarding, no wireless, no nothing... WDTV Live connects quickly and easily to Slingbox. Speed tests are good. But is still fails after 3-4 minutes. If quality set to best it looks great. If quality set to lowest it looks bad. But either setting it loses connection after 3-4 minutes. These are all same results when I had it routed through my network.

Maybe version of Slingbox is the issue. I have a Slingbox Pro-HD. osu1991 has a newer Slingbox 350. jkasanic didn't say?? It doesn't even try to work with my Slingbox Classic. Any others getting it to work?

Thanks again for feedback.
post #5419 of 5427 Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan35611 View Post
I am just wondering how you guys have you wd live tv setup? Do you guys connect a USB harddrive to your player or do you network it from a computer to stream?
Both are very popular methods. I stream from network for most, but occasionally plug a USB drive in too. Many use USB drives exclusively. Especially if they like the portable nature -- can take WDTV and Drive anywhere and don't need networking or internet.
Kelson likes this.
post #5420 of 5427 Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Both are very popular methods. I stream from network for most, but occasionally plug a USB drive in too. Many use USB drives exclusively. Especially if they like the portable nature -- can take WDTV and Drive anywhere and don't need networking or internet.
I use both - my WiFi can stream SD TV but I put HD TV or movies on a USB drive. IIRC some have also reported better streaming performance with a local device attached, even a small flash drive - maybe it uses it to free up a bit more of its meager memory for buffering?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5421 of 5427 Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I use both -
I use both also. In my case I had a spare 1TB WD portable drive that I had no significant use for so I stuck it on the Live-SMP in the main viewing area. When we get into watching a TV series on DVD I'll send the DVD.iso's from the server to the local 1TB drive and stream them from there. It's a little quicker response streaming from a local drive and it helps take some of the load off the network which is always humming. All my BD rips are kept on the server and streamed from there, I never transfer them to the local drive, just the DVD.iso.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5422 of 5427 Old 11-22-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thanks osu1991, (off topic: Sic'em Bears! )

So more troubleshooting failure: Rollbacked firmware didn't help any. Then I used updated WD TV Live and directly connected to my cable modem. From cable to modem to WD TV Live. Used dhcp, no router, no forwarding, no wireless, no nothing... WDTV Live connects quickly and easily to Slingbox. Speed tests are good. But is still fails after 3-4 minutes. If quality set to best it looks great. If quality set to lowest it looks bad. But either setting it loses connection after 3-4 minutes. These are all same results when I had it routed through my network.

Maybe version of Slingbox is the issue. I have a Slingbox Pro-HD. osu1991 has a newer Slingbox 350. jkasanic didn't say?? It doesn't even try to work with my Slingbox Classic. Any others getting it to work?

Figures a Baylor fan, but I'll help ya anyay.

The Slingbox Pro HD is on the compatible list.
From the Sling website

http://www.slingbox.com/en-US/Suppor...B-2000463.aspx
Which Slingbox models are compatible with SlingPlayer for Connected Devices?

SlingPlayer for Connected Devices works with the Slingbox 350, Slingbox 500, Slingbox SOLO, and the Slingbox PRO-HD.

Has your friend that you are trying to sling from checked his settings to make sure his router isn't capping or killing the connection from the Slingbox. Maybe have your friend set the Slingbox IP in the DMZ or outside the router firewall for testing.
post #5423 of 5427 Old 11-22-2014, 09:38 PM

Yep, old Bear here from '87...

I have trouble blaming friend's network since the slingbox works great for my other devices. Easily hours at a time (even today). But I might work on getting his help on that. Next step I can do on my end is take my WDTV to another location and try with different provider (I have Charter). I'd still like to confirm another Slingbox PRO-HD user is successful -- at this point I don't trust Sling website....
post #5424 of 5427 Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using a 500. I did see the other day where Amzon dropped the price of the 350 to $77. I just checked today and it's up to $87 but might be something to watch if your network troubleshooting doesn't go anywhere.
post #5425 of 5427 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd still like to confirm another Slingbox PRO-HD user is successful -- at this point I don't trust Sling website....
I have Slingboxes Pro-HD, Solo, and 350 that work well with several WDTV's both in-house and remote.

----------
Jim
post #5426 of 5427 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Boy View Post
Well guys, i won't have a chance to play around with it till the weekend, but you are all getting me excited that it's user error, would would make me pretty happy to be honest.

I'll update later on. I may still buy the Oppo as an upgrade on the PS3, but if I could stream my WD through my reciever that would be huge.

Thanks for giving me hope gentlemen,

Cheers,

Jason.
Guys, thanks! I don't know if its that I had the previous issues with the Onkyo clouding my brain, but reset everything up with my Sony receiver and it's working fantastic.

Still going to pick up the Oppo, but this is a huge difference for me in the meantime.
post #5427 of 5427 Old Today, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Good result. Enjoy the new toy too.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page