post #5431 of 5456 Old 11-26-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
But why would it only impact the SMP and not any computers or tablets?
Sorry I missed that part.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 5456 Old 11-26-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
BTW I got an email from WD today with some interesting deals on refurb equipment, including a $60 SMP (I think). I'm leery of refurb disk drives but I imagine a lot of SMP's get returned just because buyers can't figure out how to use them properly, not because of any manufacturing defect...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5433 of 5456 Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys. I am searching for a media player that plays all(Blu-ray.iso, BDMV files). But i couldn't find what i want. I don't need an android os. What i need is smooth video play from my wd nas with hd audio bitstreaming. Also i read this player can play movies with 23,976fps. Is it true? Thank you.
post #5434 of 5456 Old 11-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -spawn- View Post
Hello guys. I am searching for a media player that plays all(Blu-ray.iso, BDMV files). But i couldn't find what i want. I don't need an android os. What i need is smooth video play from my wd nas with hd audio bitstreaming. Also i read this player can play movies with 23,976fps. Is it true? Thank you.
23000 fps might be a bit of a stretch, especially on a WiFi connection...

CC

post #5435 of 5456 Old 11-29-2014, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 89

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #5436 of 5456 Old 11-29-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
23000 fps might be a bit of a stretch, especially on a WiFi connection...
I'm guessing OP is from overseas where the , denotes a .
post #5437 of 5456 Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's a pretty high frame rate. I probably could not tell the difference between 23976 fps and 24000 fps.

post #5438 of 5456 Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
Yeah, that's a pretty high frame rate. I probably could not tell the difference between 23976 fps and 24000 fps.
I toyed with the idea of overclocking my 120hz TV but when they tried that on Rick & Morty the side effects were similar to a Vogon Destructor...

CC

post #5439 of 5456 Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

That might actually be cool!
(not for you or anyone on Earth though)

post #5440 of 5456 Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Got an issue. As I've stated a number of times in this thread and others I LIKE network shares. I just moved to Linux Mint 17.1 and no way can I get them to work. I have no issue seeing the files on any of my Windows computers but the WD units will not see my folders. It worked perfectly with Mint 16 and before, any suggestions?

I've looked both with Windows shares and Linux shares, the Linux screen just shows the spinning circle icon. Both shares are enabled in the Wd setting, I've cleared the log ons, rebooted any number of times and anything else I can think of. Frustrated.
post #5441 of 5456 Old 12-04-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Well it took a while but got problem solved, Samba is a PITA. Got to say I love Mint, will never go back to windows, but this is one area that needs major work. If anyone is interested there is a very good video on you tube that simplifies the situation.

post #5442 of 5456 Unread 12-20-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Unhappy WDLive ruined my movie party

Hi,

About 6 months or so I bought a WDLive. Soon I found I could not deal with it's inability to do gapless audio playback or it's inability to deal automatically with forced subtitles so I gave it to a friend who is a preacher in a local church.

He needs his tech dumbed way down and I thought it would be perfect for him because he likes to show little youtube videos during church service like the pentatonics singing little drummer boy.

Anyway, we decided to host a family movie night last night and show elf. I brought the movie on a thumb drive and set everything up. I also brought my popcorn machine and it looked like everything was going to be pretty swell.

For reasons I don't know the WDLive locked up every 40 minutes or so. I had to reboot it twice each time. So this happened twice during the movie. I had no idea this was going to happen... it really sucked.

I think I should recommend he just trash it now or if he wants to keep using it make sure it's only for very short clips. Actually, he ought to replace it ASAP. these are only good for the landfill.

For anyone still using this box I do wish you the best of luck. I know I used to watch full movies on it but I guess that was over the network and not from a thumb drive.

-Brian
post #5443 of 5456 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:04 AM

My SMP is wifi so I can only watch HD from a USB drive - never had a problem. I've watched several hours of SD TV from flash drives but maybe never a HD movie - I'll have to try it sometime - maybe a FAT32 limitation? Though I wouldn't think rebooting would help if that's the case...

CC

post #5444 of 5456 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

It was NTFS.

It was a blu Ray rip ... maybe 20GB file.

I certainly didn't expect trouble and never had trouble with it before.... sucked that it happened when it did.

I know that I used to use it to watch blu rays over hardwired network so something about the USB stick caused the problem.

I don't think it was overheating based on the regularity of it being like every 40 mins... like ... after overheating twice it should have been ready to overheat again soon... that type of reasoning.

I still don't know why it did that....
post #5445 of 5456 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:45 AM

I'm sure you're not interested in troubleshooting but I'm curious if you switched USB ports? I seem to vaguely recall a long-ago discussion of some flakiness with one of the ports?

CC

post #5446 of 5456 Unread 12-20-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I know that I used to use it to watch blu rays over hardwired network so something about the USB stick caused the problem.
I have no doubt the problem originated with your use of a USB stick drive -- they are not made equal and many are of inferior quality, especially as they age. I have gone through 2 generations of WD Live, with three of them currently in service around the house, and continue to be perfectly happy with flawless full bitrate BD streaming over my network or from an attached USB-powered HDD -- never a stick drive. Trash it if you will, but I believe the fault is your use of the stick drive and not the WD Live's. If anything, trash the stick drive and pick up a small WD 500GB USB-powered HDD that is no bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

I don't use it for music so gapless audio playback has never been a concern for me.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5447 of 5456 Unread 12-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Hi,

About 6 months or so I bought a WDLive. Soon I found I could not deal with it's inability to do gapless audio playback or it's inability to deal automatically with forced subtitles so I gave it to a friend who is a preacher in a local church.

He needs his tech dumbed way down and I thought it would be perfect for him because he likes to show little youtube videos during church service like the pentatonics singing little drummer boy.

Anyway, we decided to host a family movie night last night and show elf. I brought the movie on a thumb drive and set everything up. I also brought my popcorn machine and it looked like everything was going to be pretty swell.

For reasons I don't know the WDLive locked up every 40 minutes or so. I had to reboot it twice each time. So this happened twice during the movie. I had no idea this was going to happen... it really sucked.

I think I should recommend he just trash it now or if he wants to keep using it make sure it's only for very short clips. Actually, he ought to replace it ASAP. these are only good for the landfill.

For anyone still using this box I do wish you the best of luck. I know I used to watch full movies on it but I guess that was over the network and not from a thumb drive.

-Brian
Sorry you had such an awful experience but, luckily, your experience is the exception. I had a WDTV Live Hub for a couple of years and it never failed to playback anything from YouTube clips to BD rips. As Kelson alluded, it is more likely that the flash drive was at fault than the WDTV Live.

At this point though, it sounds like it has given you enough frustration that you will probably second guess it forever, no matter how well it performs. You should give it to your preacher friend. He may never have the same problems as you do/did.
post #5448 of 5456 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I personally use a Chromebox but I may recommend my friend picks up something to replace the WDLive anyways.... Mainly because I had purchased the model without Netflix and he subscribes to Netflix.

I hate NetFux and was willing to pay a few dollars more to get the model without it. He on the other hand would likely use it for 80% Netflix so he ought to jump on something that suports that... currently there are some good alternatives on sale.

He's not a rip discs for playback type ... If he does anything it's capturing flash videos from YouTube.. he does a fair amount of that.

-BRian
post #5449 of 5456 Unread 12-20-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
About 6 months or so I bought a WDLive. Soon I found I could not deal with it's inability to do gapless audio playback or it's inability to deal automatically with forced subtitles
So, what standalone did you find who can deal automatically with forced subs?

Quote:
For reasons I don't know the WDLive locked up every 40 minutes or so. I had to reboot it twice each time. So this happened twice during the movie.
Sounds like bug #4 which seems to be related to the WDTV having some kind of network connection. We're trying to get to the bottom of this but it' not reproducible so far.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5450 of 5456 Unread 12-21-2014, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

Sounds like bug #4 which seems to be related to the WDTV having some kind of network connection. We're trying to get to the bottom of this but it' not reproducible so far.
Hey... That could be it! I never heard of bug #4 however, When I gave it away to my friend I did a full reset.... He never (ever) used it (Should have picked a better person to give it too) and when I set it up, I bypassed Network setup. I don't know what bug #4 is but that sounds like it could be it.

As for forced subs .... I use a chromebox which can automatically do the right things with forced subs. The forced sub flags in the video file have to be used correctly but that is no problem. This issue is important to me so that's what prompted the switch.
post #5451 of 5456 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

┬┐is possible to see backdrops on a folder? When I download the info of a serie tv, for example, it creates the chapter and a backdrop of this chapter. But if I want a backdrop of the main folder that have all the chapters... what can I do? What's the sintax?

I try to create a .folder.backdrop and a folder.xml, but don't works...

Thanks a lot
post #5452 of 5456 Unread Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK setup out of the box?

I'm having some issues setting up a chromebox to stream from my Synology NAS. Not sure if the Kodi adaptation or what is messed up. I'm trying to resolve w/the kodi gang now.

As a backup, does the WD TV Live function OK as streamer from NAS without adapation / modification / etc? The Chromebox sounds cool, but is also probably more than I need and if I can't get it to go, I need another solution.
post #5453 of 5456 Unread Yesterday, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
I'd call any Chromebox or NUC, RPi or the like running Kodi a "Standalone" -- and it deals with forced subs quite nicely.

In fact, I went back to my MKV libraries and had to "fix" a few for which the "forced" flag wasn't set -- (never noticed because the WD ignored it anyway)
post #5454 of 5456 Unread Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterskier1018 View Post
I'm having some issues setting up a chromebox to stream from my Synology NAS. Not sure if the Kodi adaptation or what is messed up. I'm trying to resolve w/the kodi gang now.

As a backup, does the WD TV Live function OK as streamer from NAS without adapation / modification / etc? The Chromebox sounds cool, but is also probably more than I need and if I can't get it to go, I need another solution.
Yeahm, I use 3 WDTV Lives around the house streaming off my Synology 413j. No modification etc. The only thing I did was set up accounts in NAS, one for each WDTV e.g. "lounge" for loungeroom one etc. Then access the synology as a network share, and use the individual usernames & pw's. My house is wired, and have no issues streaming 35+gig rips of old HD DVD's.
post #5455 of 5456 Unread Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post
Yeahm, I use 3 WDTV Lives around the house streaming off my Synology 413j. No modification etc. The only thing I did was set up accounts in NAS, one for each WDTV e.g. "lounge" for loungeroom one etc. Then access the synology as a network share, and use the individual usernames & pw's. My house is wired, and have no issues streaming 35+gig rips of old HD DVD's.
Thanks. Hoping not to have to go there, but may order one anyway to use in another room.
post #5456 of 5456 Unread Today, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm having an issue where my WDTV is rebooting a lot and when it does, it resets default video to 720p/60

I don't care about the random restarts because they usually happen while it's powering on but is there a way to lock it to 1080p/60?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page