post #5491 of 5520 Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
You mean "Scrape," not "Scrap," right?

Check www.thetvdb.org ... name them the same way.

Though I don't know if WD supports "Year"-based season numbers... I don't understand why TheTVDB people allow that...

If WD allows it, then name them

Frontline.S1998E10.ext for example.
Yeah tried that and a few other iterations...other shows like American Experience are in their 20 somethings and they haven't gone to a year based season number. It's nice just dropping it on the drive remotely and not worrying about it. Would hate to have to resort to a 3rd party scraper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5520 Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
what are best practices for encoding 3d movies to show up on my benq w1070?
anyone have any experience with this?
post #5493 of 5520 Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Happy New Year

I got a Samsung Tab 4 Christmas and I am trying to stream DVD ISO files located on the usb attached drive on my WD TV Live Plus. Has anyone successfully ever been able to do that?
post #5494 of 5520 Old 01-07-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
I got a Samsung Tab 4 Christmas and I am trying to stream DVD ISO files located on the usb attached drive on my WD TV Live Plus. Has anyone successfully ever been able to do that?
Have you figured out how to connect with your Tab 4 to the Windows SMB network and discover the WD Live and its attached HDD? IOW, can you see the files on the Live, or any PC on your network?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5495 of 5520 Old 01-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Tough to find a good media player on the iPad that will play all the files. Many can't play the audio. You could try something like making a server with a transcoder, that would work. PlexPlayer and Mezzmo do this.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #5496 of 5520 Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Have you figured out how to connect with your Tab 4 to the Windows SMB network and discover the WD Live and its attached HDD? IOW, can you see the files on the Live, or any PC on your network?
The app ES File Explorer does the mapping. My problem was to figure out how not to invoke its default media player that cannot handle iso files. I played with it some more last night and I found out how to invoke another media player through the app. I chose VLC. It would stream the video but I got no audio. More experimenting on my part is still required. At least I'm making some progress.
post #5497 of 5520 Old 01-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you can play the ISO on a PC with VLC and a MP4 (say) on the tablet then it seems pretty clear that the android version has some limitation decoding ISO. I can play MP4 or MKV on my KFHDX but never tried an ISO. (and it "works" from the SMP's USB though not well at all from a WiFi standpoint)...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5498 of 5520 Old 01-09-2015, 12:22 PM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
If you can play the ISO on a PC with VLC and a MP4 (say) on the tablet then it seems pretty clear that the android version has some limitation decoding ISO. I can play MP4 or MKV on my KFHDX but never tried an ISO. (and it "works" from the SMP's USB though not well at all from a WiFi standpoint)...
It may boil down to a licencing issue in that apps like VLC have removed the ability to process AC3 and DTS due to licensing. There are ways around this. I will update this thread if I getting the hack working.
post #5499 of 5520 Old 01-09-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
It may boil down to a licencing issue in that apps like VLC have removed the ability to process AC3 and DTS due to licensing. There are ways around this. I will update this thread if I getting the hack working.
In any case it should be easy to rule out the SMP as the culprit, so this may not be the best thread to look for help...

CC

post #5500 of 5520 Old 01-09-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Hard Drive Size?

Hello all, I am interested in purchasing the WD TV Live hub from another member here and was wondering if anyone has swapped out the hard drive and if so does anyone know the largest hard drive possible to put inside? I wanted to swap the 1tb out with a 4tb drive. Is this possible?
post #5501 of 5520 Old 01-09-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post
Hello all, I am interested in purchasing the WD TV Live hub from another member here and was wondering if anyone has swapped out the hard drive and if so does anyone know the largest hard drive possible to put inside? I wanted to swap the 1tb out with a 4tb drive. Is this possible?
No, since there's no such thing as a 4tb 2.5" drive.

However, lots of folks on the WD community have said they swapped in the 2TB WD drives with no issues... But you might have to trim the foam rubber gaskets since the 2TB drives are thicker.
post #5502 of 5520 Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I see I didn't know it was a 2 1/2 inch drive I looked everywhere and couldn't find that information. so what if I leave the one terabyte drive inside and attach a 4 TB USB drive? Will I be able to access everything on that USB drive through the wd tv? Also I think I read it correctly this will serve as a media server as well? anyone know if the USB drive attached to this will also be shared?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5503 of 5520 Old 01-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I see I didn't know it was a 2 1/2 inch drive I looked everywhere and couldn't find that information. so what if I leave the one terabyte drive inside and attach a 4 TB USB drive? Will I be able to access everything on that USB drive through the wd tv? Also I think I read it correctly this will serve as a media server as well? anyone know if the USB drive attached to this will also be shared?

Yes on all counts.
post #5504 of 5520 Old 01-10-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
By the way, there's a whole other forum thread about the Hub...

*Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread
post #5505 of 5520 Old 01-10-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you sir I think I finally found what I was looking for. Lol going to jump on this today

post #5506 of 5520 Old 01-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Can this device output 3D files and if so how do you rip a 3D blu ray?

Last edited by JRock3x8; 01-10-2015 at 07:27 PM.
post #5507 of 5520 Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can this device output 3D files and if so how do you rip a 3D blu ray?
Depends on what you mean by "3D File" ... there's quite a few different formats.

Full HD Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom (3840x1080 or 1920x2160): No.
MVC: No.
Half HD Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom: Yes.
Full HD Anaglyph: Yes.
post #5508 of 5520 Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "3D File" ... there's quite a few different formats.

Full HD Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom (3840x1080 or 1920x2160): No.
MVC: No.
Half HD Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom: Yes.
Full HD Anaglyph: Yes.
thanks

how about any

how do you rip the 3d bluray with make mkv? I tried with my copy of TF3 but it just came out as a 2D movie...
post #5509 of 5520 Old 01-11-2015, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone had issues staying connected to Plex media server on the WD TV Live? I ended up just using a straight network share instead, but I previous was running media server via Playback on Mac, and decided to switch to Plex since I also had a Kindle stick that I wanted to use it with... but for some reason I kept getting the "The previous source cannot be found" message when connecting to the same Favorites section via Plex.

Not a huge deal, but I'm just curious if there's a known issue or if I'm just missing something obvious.
post #5510 of 5520 Old 01-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UpRusso View Post
Has anyone had issues staying connected to Plex media server on the WD TV Live? I ended up just using a straight network share instead, but I previous was running media server via Playback on Mac, and decided to switch to Plex since I also had a Kindle stick that I wanted to use it with... but for some reason I kept getting the "The previous source cannot be found" message when connecting to the same Favorites section via Plex.

Not a huge deal, but I'm just curious if there's a known issue or if I'm just missing something obvious.
I've got the Gen3 player and I'm having a similar problem keeping My Media Library connected to a Seagate GoFlex NAS via wired ethernet. Purchased it in Dec 2013 and it worked flawlessly until around Oct 2014, at which point 90%+ of the time I tried to use it I would get the dreaded "previous content source could not be found." This would happen regardless of whether I had disabled the sleep function or not. Most infuriating was taking the next step (would you like to search for additional media?) and one of the options was the GoFlex, but if I chose that option I just got the spinning arrow (a few times I let it run like that overnight--it never found my media). The only option that worked MOST of the time was to perform a hard shutdown/restart, but sometimes I'd have to do it twice. Nothing on my network had changed when the problem started. I don't recall what FW I was on at the time, but factory resets, upgrading to latest and then downgrading to 1.16 (where I am now) made no difference except that with 1.16 it usually finds the GoFlex after asking me if I want to search for additional media.

I've got a Patriot PBO, Kodi on HTPC, and SPMC on an Amazon FireTV, and while none of them have any problems connecting to the GoFlex, none of them has the simple, clean interface and remote that the WDTV has for the wife, kids, and in-laws. I searched in vain for solutions prior to buying the AFTV, would love to hear if anyone's been able to solve this.
post #5511 of 5520 Old 01-12-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
I've got the Gen3 player and I'm having a similar problem keeping My Media Library connected to a Seagate GoFlex NAS via wired ethernet. Purchased it in Dec 2013 and it worked flawlessly until around Oct 2014, at which point 90%+ of the time I tried to use it I would get the dreaded "previous content source could not be found." This would happen regardless of whether I had disabled the sleep function or not. Most infuriating was taking the next step (would you like to search for additional media?) and one of the options was the GoFlex, but if I chose that option I just got the spinning arrow (a few times I let it run like that overnight--it never found my media). The only option that worked MOST of the time was to perform a hard shutdown/restart, but sometimes I'd have to do it twice. Nothing on my network had changed when the problem started. I don't recall what FW I was on at the time, but factory resets, upgrading to latest and then downgrading to 1.16 (where I am now) made no difference except that with 1.16 it usually finds the GoFlex after asking me if I want to search for additional media.

I've got a Patriot PBO, Kodi on HTPC, and SPMC on an Amazon FireTV, and while none of them have any problems connecting to the GoFlex, none of them has the simple, clean interface and remote that the WDTV has for the wife, kids, and in-laws. I searched in vain for solutions prior to buying the AFTV, would love to hear if anyone's been able to solve this.
I've given up on ML. I copy all new TV recordings to a GoFlex folder, and as long as I do a hard-shutdown every night it reconnects fairly quickly. Standby never works, full restart is always necessary. IF it lets me navigate to the file I want then it always plays fine - the problem is getting to the file...

CC

post #5512 of 5520 Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What's the Gen3 model #?
post #5513 of 5520 Old 01-17-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
What's the Gen3 model #?
Mine is the WDBHG70000NBK-HESN

WD's numbering system is incredibly confusing, can't find the link on their site but this clarifies a bit:
http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=16779
post #5514 of 5520 Old 01-17-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
thanks

how about any

how do you rip the 3d bluray with make mkv? I tried with my copy of TF3 but it just came out as a 2D movie...
Hey,

No longer use my WDLive (gave it away) but went a few rounds with converting 3D BD to HSBS to view on my Chromebox. A (crappy in my opinion) program called DVDFab can convert 3D BD into the HSBS files ... one this to know though is on my laptop the process would take at least 8 hours. I only tried a single chapter. Another thing to know is you lose half the resolution. Another thing to know is with the WDLive, you will have to tell your display it's 3D when you play the resulting file.

I have a blu ray player still.... in fact I own 3 blu ray players if you count the PS3 which is rarely used and they all support 3D playback ... with that in mind I've focused on my 2D stuff to populate me media server and decided I will just watch 3D on a "for seriously real" 3D Blu Ray player.

Just giving the results of my experimenting with such.

-Brian
post #5515 of 5520 Old 01-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Just giving the results of my experimenting with such.

-Brian
Thanks. What I got out of that was...

"Yah don't do that".

Message received
post #5516 of 5520 Old 01-18-2015, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Thanks. What I got out of that was...

"Yah don't do that".

Message received
Well,... some people manage and make it look easy. What I recommend really is ...

1) Use the free trail of DVDFab (it will put a logo on the output files but this is only testing)

2) If you don't have the old version of DVDFab that would decrypt ... then use a different program to decript first like the free MakeMKV (in this case you would make what MakeMKV calls a "backup" of the whole disc but it would be decrypted.)

3) Do just 1 chapter ... that should be like 8 minutes and it should take you computer about an hour.

4) Try to make the resulting HSBS file work and see how you like it.

5 - Go from there.

but ... remember ... some movies have subtitles ... for converting a movie to side by side format you have to learn some tricks for the sub title too... I didn't get that far.

I have about 1200 Blus here and only 110 are 3D so I myself decided to leave those for much later... maybe by then there will be a better way. I've decided not to do it but I really would rather encourage you to get frustrated enough with it to know it's the right choice for you as well.

Minds subject to change.

-Brian
post #5517 of 5520 Old 01-18-2015, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Well,... some people manage and make it look easy. What I recommend really is ...

1) Use the free trail of DVDFab (it will put a logo on the output files but this is only testing)

2) If you don't have the old version of DVDFab that would decrypt ... then use a different program to decript first like the free MakeMKV (in this case you would make what MakeMKV calls a "backup" of the whole disc but it would be decrypted.)

3) Do just 1 chapter ... that should be like 8 minutes and it should take you computer about an hour.

4) Try to make the resulting HSBS file work and see how you like it.

5 - Go from there.

but ... remember ... some movies have subtitles ... for converting a movie to side by side format you have to learn some tricks for the sub title too... I didn't get that far.

I have about 1200 Blus here and only 110 are 3D so I myself decided to leave those for much later... maybe by then there will be a better way. I've decided not to do it but I really would rather encourage you to get frustrated enough with it to know it's the right choice for you as well.

Minds subject to change.

-Brian

I have 1 3D movie - not that important thanks
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #5518 of 5520 Unread Today, 07:59 AM
3db
Advanced Member

For those of you who have Android tablets and have ripped your DVDs to ISO, its possible to stream them from your WD to your android device.... Read through this thread for the tips;

http://androidforums.com/threads/str...o-tab4.894508/
post #5519 of 5520 Unread Today, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For those of you who have Android tablets and have ripped your DVDs to ISO, its possible to stream them from your WD to your android device.... Read through this thread for the tips;

http://androidforums.com/threads/str...o-tab4.894508/
Handy to note, though that's not really streaming -- that's just using the WD as a NAS for whatever happens to be on USB.
post #5520 of 5520 Unread Today, 10:41 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Handy to note, though that's not really streaming -- that's just using the WD as a NAS for whatever happens to be on USB.
You are correct... Its not like I'm getting this off the internet Still, very cool though..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page