*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 187 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #5581 of 5784 Old 02-13-2015, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
As Kelson pointed out, they did try to compete with Roku. They offered many different set-top streamers. Too many IMO. Apparently they didn't sell. I think that WD is now realizing that core fans that are left using their streamers are us, local-file purists! Perhaps this is why they dropped Netflix from their current offering. They probably said "We don't want to pay Netflix, and they probably aren't using it anyway."
I would love to see the WDTV live smp with better hardware (interface is a bit sluggish), as a NAS enclosure. And all my fav apps of course!
After a short experience with mine I am not so sure it does that great of a job with local file streaming. IIRC I had issues with the sluggish interface and it not being able to play quite a few of my files. I have put it in a drawer (may give it to my kid) and bought a Dune D1 and not looked back. I know it is 3-4 times the cost, but for me the difference has been worth it.

Just my opinion of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5784 Old 02-13-2015, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think one direction they are looking at is the 'torrent crowd', judging by the questions. Seems to be an ever growing facet of the population, but one that brings legal scrutiny with it.
post #5583 of 5784 Old 02-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
After a short experience with mine I am not so sure it does that great of a job with local file streaming. IIRC I had issues with the sluggish interface and it not being able to play quite a few of my files. I have put it in a drawer (may give it to my kid) and bought a Dune D1 and not looked back. I know it is 3-4 times the cost, but for me the difference has been worth it.

Just my opinion of course
Well that's the tradeoff - there's no market worth mentioning at 3-4x the cost...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5584 of 5784 Old 02-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Their online streaming devices fail because the interface is *SO* SLOW. I would switch in a minute if I could find something that was as easy for the whole family to use and could still play all my various files. We have a Roku3 as well as an AppleTV and it's embarrassing how much better the Apple/Roku interfaces are in terms of speed, layout, and overall performance.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #5585 of 5784 Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
They probably said "We don't want to pay Netflix, and they probably aren't using it anyway."
Actually, what they've said is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
After a short experience with mine I am not so sure it does that great of a job with local file streaming. IIRC I had issues with the sluggish interface and it not being able to play quite a few of my files.
All files that are encoded to specs work just fine, even over network shares (wired). If yours don't you should check them in Mediainfo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagoro View Post
I think one direction they are looking at is the 'torrent crowd', judging by the questions. Seems to be an ever growing facet of the population, but one that brings legal scrutiny with it.
To whom?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5586 of 5784 Old 02-13-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Question for all you WD TV Live owners. Instead of boring everyone with a long story I will get to the questions. I just purchased a Dune HD media player in hopes that it would do what I needed it to do and it doesn't sound like it might work out so I am checking to see on these WD TV players to see if they can cod it. I almost jumped on one here earlier that was for sale but ended up passing and getting the Dune player instead. My question is will the WD TV live system transcode a file and work as a server so that I can play that file on another media player like a Playstation or Xbox? I want to convert all my Blu-Ray discs to either MKV .ISO files and store them locally and play them on a TV attached to the WD TV via HDMI but I also want to be able to play the same files in another room, not at the same time. Those rooms only have either an xbox or a ps3 and they wont play MKV or ISO files via their media player option. Any thoughts?
post #5587 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post
Question for all you WD TV Live owners. Instead of boring everyone with a long story I will get to the questions. I just purchased a Dune HD media player in hopes that it would do what I needed it to do and it doesn't sound like it might work out so I am checking to see on these WD TV players to see if they can cod it. I almost jumped on one here earlier that was for sale but ended up passing and getting the Dune player instead. My question is will the WD TV live system transcode a file and work as a server so that I can play that file on another media player like a Playstation or Xbox? I want to convert all my Blu-Ray discs to either MKV .ISO files and store them locally and play them on a TV attached to the WD TV via HDMI but I also want to be able to play the same files in another room, not at the same time. Those rooms only have either an xbox or a ps3 and they wont play MKV or ISO files via their media player option. Any thoughts?
I don't think the WDTV can do what you want it to do. I don't know if any player can do that. In general, it seems to be, one player for each television set.
post #5588 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
I don't think the WDTV can do what you want it to do. I don't know if any player can do that. In general, it seems to be, one player for each television set.
Streaming the file back onto the network would take something along the lines of a Slingbox, hardly practical or cost-effective vs. another SMP or two.

But aren't there router- or PC-based streaming services that could deliver those files to an xbox?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5589 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Streaming the file back onto the network would take something along the lines of a Slingbox, hardly practical or cost-effective vs. another SMP or two.

But aren't there router- or PC-based streaming services that could deliver those files to an xbox?
DLNA server? Runs on PC. Can usually be set to transcode files only when needed with your playback device.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #5590 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Actually, what they've said is this:
And yet, further down the page of that ad they tout the rest of their streaming channels. I would love to have been a fly on the wall for those NetFlix negotiations. I don't stream stuff from the Internet so I don't care about the lack of Netflix on the WD. Even if I did stream I wouldn't use the Live for it, my TiVo has Netflix, Amazon, etc. for all the major streaming sites that count and they are integrated into the guide search.

Quote:
All files that are encoded to specs work just fine, even over network shares (wired). If yours don't you should check them in Mediainfo.
And we all know that stuff you download from some unknown over the Internet is always encoded to spec.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5591 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My question is will the WD TV live system transcode a file and work as a server so that I can play that file on another media player like a Playstation or Xbox?
No.
That is the job of a server not a player and these are all players. To transcode on the fly, you need a PC server running a DLNA server (I use Mezzmo) with enough horsepower to transcode on the fly. Plex server on a PC is another option but your player needs to have a Plex client to take full advantage of Plex. Most players, game consoles and TV's have DLNA clients.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5592 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with Kelson. If you need a server/transcoder, Mezzmo works great and is easy to use with great customer support.

post #5593 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 187
So Mezzno would run on my computer and all the files would have to be n than the Xbox PlayStation even this WDTV would get the files from my computer and play them. Files can all be in the MKV format and it would transcode it to be compatible with the PlayStation and Xbox? This would require me having the laptop on all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5594 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So Mezzno would run on my computer and all the files would have to be n than the Xbox PlayStation even this WDTV would get the files from my computer and play them. Files can all be in the MKV format and it would transcode it to be compatible with the PlayStation and Xbox? This would require me having the laptop on all the time?
The video files are stored on the PC or on external storage that can be accessed by the PC. Mezzmo would be running on the PC as the DLNA server. Mezzmo has profiles for the devices that tells it what formats they can handle so it knows what it needs to transcode.

The serving PC only has to be on when you want to access the video. You would be better off building/buying a small PC (minimum i3) to use as a dedicated server than using a laptop.
DeadEd likes this.

- kelson h

post #5595 of 5784 Old 02-14-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
And we all know that stuff you download from some unknown over the Internet is always encoded to spec.
Hint hint

Tech Flaws
post #5596 of 5784 Old 02-15-2015, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I am not an expert by any means.

Based on the following statement from the WD TV Live Hub product overview document, I think it can work as a server as you want. I don't know about transcoding. I've never used it in this capacity.

"Stream media to any TV in your house You can stream your media on the
WD TV Live Hub media center to a WD TV Live™ media player or any
DLNA/UPnP compatible TV, Blu-ray Disc™ player, or game console."

Another option would be a NAS (e.g. Synology) to work as a server, but again I don't know about transcoding capabilities on these machines.

Hope this helps.
post #5597 of 5784 Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a quote for the WDTV Live Hub, not the Live Streaming (the topic of this thread) or the current model, the WD TV (no Netflix). The latter don't come with a media server.

Tech Flaws
post #5598 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
... I would switch in a minute if I could find something that was as easy for the whole family to use and could still play all my various files.
That's the ticket right right. I predict many would (even with the clunky). I use my Sony BD player for Amazon/Netflix, because I usually want to browse both to see what's new. Usually nothing. Or I use my xbox since it has Amazon/Netflix/HBO, the trifecta (for me). Almost everybody I talk to about the wdtv is intrigued until they figure out the app selection sucks.

Shame. I wish I just had ONE device to rule them all. I wanted media in the bedroom for example. So I put a new WDTV and an xbox just get all the apps.

Last edited by johnBlanker; 02-16-2015 at 10:18 AM.
post #5599 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree with Kelson. If you need a server/transcoder, Mezzmo works great and is easy to use with great customer support.
FWIW, I use Serviio on my pc/server. I set the path for my pictures and music for devices that only use DLNA (xbox, Visio tv, Yamaha receiver). I don't use it for movies since I don't like navigating though the folder structure on DLNA clients, DLNA doesn't support dvd menus, and since I use the WDTV for all video playback. I have 3 in my house.
post #5600 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

I tell you, the BD menu support on the Dune D1 is intriguing. I wonder how they get around Cinavia. I wouldn't mind dropping $400 on a unit (just for the living room of course) is it did all these things:
1.Played dvd and BD full menu.
2.Had a "search" function.
3.Ability to FF/RW BD files accurately. I would even take an accurate "go-to timestamp". The KDLINKS 720 has an awesome "10-second jump back" feature on it's remote.
4. Wasn't inhibited by Cinavia. (I know the wdtv isn't)
5. HAD ALL MY APPS
6. Had the ability to setup passwords for certain folders.
7. Handled forced subs correctly. (without user interaction)
DeadEd likes this.

Last edited by johnBlanker; 02-16-2015 at 10:26 AM.
post #5601 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
I tell you, the BD menu support on the Dune D1 is intriguing. I wonder how they get around Cinavia.
My guess is that it's sorta Grandfathered--- it was introduced (and the chipset was developed) before the Cinavia Mandate which affects products made 2012 and on.
post #5602 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Oh, I thought the D1 was new. Oh, so now it's "Aging hardware". lol
post #5603 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
FWIW, I use Serviio on my pc/server. I set the path for my pictures and music for devices that only use DLNA (xbox, Visio tv, Yamaha receiver). I don't use it for movies since I don't like navigating though the folder structure on DLNA clients, DLNA doesn't support dvd menus, and since I use the WDTV for all video playback. I have 3 in my house.
So John, just curious, are you accessing videos from your server to the WDTV's without Serviio, but using Serviio for pictures and music? If so, are the movies going over wireless or wired? Any buffering/jutter problems? Thanks.

WDTV Live SMP with 11TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #5604 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
So John, just curious, are you accessing videos from your server to the WDTV's without Serviio, but using Serviio for pictures and music? If so, are the movies going over wireless or wired? Any buffering/jutter problems? Thanks.
The WDTV connects to network shares on my pc No transcoding, a direct stream. My movies are all main movie BD rips in ISO format. Some MKV. They are full size 20-50GB in size. Serviio just streams my pictures and music on my network that any device (using DLNA) can pick up. On the device, just search for a server and you will see "Serviio".
My entire network, living room, bedroom, downstairs is hard-wired Cat6 with gigabit switches. No way I would be able to stream one of my movie rips wirelessly, even with my Nighthawk router 2 feet away. I tried it. Even my current network does stutter every now and then. 90% of the time the movies play straight through. But sometimes it does this pause thing. It pauses for 5 seconds and then fast-forwards until it catches up then plays fine. NO ONE seems to know the answer to this. There are many variables in my setup since I use my computer as my server. My pc is used for web/graphic design, video editing, etc. Who knows what it is doing when these pauses happen. The dvd rips (ISO) always play fine 100%
post #5605 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
The WDTV connects to network shares on my pc No transcoding, a direct stream. My movies are all main movie BD rips in ISO format. Some MKV. They are full size 20-50GB in size. Serviio just streams my pictures and music on my network that any device (using DLNA) can pick up. On the device, just search for a server and you will see "Serviio".
My entire network, living room, bedroom, downstairs is hard-wired Cat6 with gigabit switches. No way I would be able to stream one of my movie rips wirelessly, even with my Nighthawk router 2 feet away. I tried it. Even my current network does stutter every now and then. 90% of the time the movies play straight through. But sometimes it does this pause thing. It pauses for 5 seconds and then fast-forwards until it catches up then plays fine. NO ONE seems to know the answer to this. There are many variables in my setup since I use my computer as my server. My pc is used for web/graphic design, video editing, etc. Who knows what it is doing when these pauses happen. The dvd rips (ISO) always play fine 100%
Thanks for the info. I've been planning on using Cat6 between my main theater and my PC, and then moving my WDTV attached HDD's to the computer. I would then add an additional WDTV for the TV in the room right next to the one with the computer, and have a short Cat6 run there as well. That sounds like my upstairs will be covered, just not sure what I'll do for downstairs if wireless will be dicey. Maybe I'll be able to run cable up in the attic.

WDTV Live SMP with 11TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #5606 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

That's what I had to do. 6 runs into the attic. Then down the walls for 3 rooms. I left a bunch of unused lines in the attic for future additions. Luckily I had a spot I could shoot down into the basement for that tv. No way I would do wireless. Don't forget to get gigabit switches, 10|100|1000, not just 10|100.
DeadEd and osu1991 like this.
post #5607 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

I just noticed this. Maybe it's an old feature but I never heard of it before. Or maybe I'm crazy.

Last night I was watching Whiplash in the living room (the file resides on my WDTV HUB in the guest room). Wife fell asleep so we moved to the bedroom. I turned on the WDTV there and when I hit play it went to the exact point where we left off in the living room! Pretty cool if this is something that is a new feature (pretty lame if it was old and I never noticed it before).

Has anyone else seen this?

post #5608 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

I've been thinking about buying one of these to see how it goes...
http://probox2.com/probox2-ex/

Quote:
I tell you, the BD menu support on the Dune D1 is intriguing. I wonder how they get around Cinavia. I wouldn't mind dropping $400 on a unit (just for the living room of course) is it did all these things:
1.Played dvd and BD full menu.
2.Had a "search" function.
3.Ability to FF/RW BD files accurately. I would even take an accurate "go-to timestamp". The KDLINKS 720 has an awesome "10-second jump back" feature on it's remote.
4. Wasn't inhibited by Cinavia. (I know the wdtv isn't)
5. HAD ALL MY APPS
6. Had the ability to setup passwords for certain folders.
7. Handled forced subs correctly. (without user interaction)

post #5609 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just noticed this. Maybe it's an old feature but I never heard of it before. Or maybe I'm crazy.

Last night I was watching Whiplash in the living room (the file resides on my WDTV HUB in the guest room). Wife fell asleep so we moved to the bedroom. I turned on the WDTV there and when I hit play it went to the exact point where we left off in the living room! Pretty cool if this is something that is a new feature (pretty lame if it was old and I never noticed it before).

Has anyone else seen this?
The resume feature is not new. It usually hits you with a "Resume" or Restart? prompt though. And it relies on a a certain file format. It works with ISO but not bdmv files. And you can't click play on the root folder of the movie, but rather, you have to drill down to the actual ISO file and click play on that. That's how the LIVE smp, with my settings work anyway. You might want to always state "Hub" with your posts, since I think this forum deals mainly with the Live smp model.
post #5610 of 5784 Old 02-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

just wanted to add that it is indeed a cool feature. It's why I use 3 live smps in my house. Start on one and resume on the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page