*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 188 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #5611 of 5631 Old 02-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have two HUBs and three SMPs. The HUB is where the movie I mentioned is stored but I was watching on the SMPs (and actually it's not even really stored on the HUB, it's on a 4Gig drive attached to the HUB's rear USB port). I've used the resume feature a lot, it's great, but I never knew you could pause on one unit and then pick up at the same place on the other unit! That's what startled me. I guess I have just been unobservant.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5631 Old 02-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
I have two HUBs and three SMPs. The HUB is where the movie I mentioned is stored but I was watching on the SMPs (and actually it's not even really stored on the HUB, it's on a 4Gig drive attached to the HUB's rear USB port). I've used the resume feature a lot, it's great, but I never knew you could pause on one unit and then pick up at the same place on the other unit! That's what startled me. I guess I have just been unobservant.
Hmm, maybe it's the pausing factor. I know it spits out files onto your storage device, which allows for the resume capability. I usually stop the device and turn it off. Then power on another player.
post #5613 of 5631 Old 02-16-2015, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you're planning to do any reasonably large file streaming, then John is right, wired the whole way. I've wired up (albeit with just Cat5e at the time) the house to stream movies from a NAS to 3 WDTV's in the house, and it works seamlessly (except for the few WDTV unit lockups I experience, not associated with file playing). The router sends CAT5 to the various rooms, and at the end of those each have 5 port switches, so I have other devices also wired up (consoles, blu-ray players, tv's etc) in the same location. If you can do it, go for it.
post #5614 of 5631 Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Question for owners of WD Live TV.

I've got some multi-channel FLAC music files from 2L Records. Played around with the audio format settings and recalled being able to play 5.1 to the receiver.

Had to reset the WD Live TV recently due to a lock up when scraping film data. When trying to play the multi-channel FLAC music files again and adjusting the audio settings, it plays just 2-channels.

Can someone test and confirm that multi-channel FLAC music files are still working? How does one go about the audio setting to make it work?

Thanks.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #5615 of 5631 Old 02-17-2015, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
That's what I had to do. 6 runs into the attic. Then down the walls for 3 rooms. I left a bunch of unused lines in the attic for future additions. Luckily I had a spot I could shoot down into the basement for that tv. No way I would do wireless. Don't forget to get gigabit switches, 10|100|1000, not just 10|100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post
If you're planning to do any reasonably large file streaming, then John is right, wired the whole way. I've wired up (albeit with just Cat5e at the time) the house to stream movies from a NAS to 3 WDTV's in the house, and it works seamlessly (except for the few WDTV unit lockups I experience, not associated with file playing). The router sends CAT5 to the various rooms, and at the end of those each have 5 port switches, so I have other devices also wired up (consoles, blu-ray players, tv's etc) in the same location. If you can do it, go for it.
Thanks guys. I'll be adding Gigabit switches to the list, as well as looking in to the newest Fios high speed router.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #5616 of 5631 Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All.

I have only just bought one of these devices (mainly to be able to check ISO images for DVD we author without burning a disc, as my Oppo players do not have this facility) and so far so good.
What I would love to know is this:
Can I set it up in any way at all to play back Blu-ray folders authored in Scenarist BD?
We have it set up using Optical audio outputs so we can test in "worst case scenarios" where so-called "legacy" audio cabling is used, as this will trigger playback of the hidden core audio streams instead of the PCM lossless 5.1 streams (or the DTS-HD MA 5.1 streams) as these cannot be played over optical connections of course, and the Oppos are all hooked up analogue and in addition we are trying to keep the costs down, which means reducing the number of BD-R used & the time it takes to use BD-RE is outrageous, with a DL disc often taking several hours to write on a BD-RE DL.

Currently it will output from ISO but without menus - I only get playlists, which is a start but menu systems also need testing.
The obvious issue is that the WDTV is not Java enabled so it might not be possible at all, but if anyone knows of a way to do this...........
post #5617 of 5631 Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil wilkes View Post
Hi All.

I have only just bought one of these devices (mainly to be able to check ISO images for DVD we author without burning a disc, as my Oppo players do not have this facility) and so far so good.
What I would love to know is this:
Can I set it up in any way at all to play back Blu-ray folders authored in Scenarist BD?
We have it set up using Optical audio outputs so we can test in "worst case scenarios" where so-called "legacy" audio cabling is used, as this will trigger playback of the hidden core audio streams instead of the PCM lossless 5.1 streams (or the DTS-HD MA 5.1 streams) as these cannot be played over optical connections of course, and the Oppos are all hooked up analogue and in addition we are trying to keep the costs down, which means reducing the number of BD-R used & the time it takes to use BD-RE is outrageous, with a DL disc often taking several hours to write on a BD-RE DL.

Currently it will output from ISO but without menus - I only get playlists, which is a start but menu systems also need testing.
The obvious issue is that the WDTV is not Java enabled so it might not be possible at all, but if anyone knows of a way to do this...........

Have you thought about using bdmv modify with your oppo for your Blu-ray folders? You might also look at the Dune Smart D* series for full menu support on iso (and Blu-ray folder) folders.
post #5618 of 5631 Old 02-19-2015, 11:44 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post
Question for all you WD TV Live owners. Instead of boring everyone with a long story I will get to the questions. I just purchased a Dune HD media player in hopes that it would do what I needed it to do and it doesn't sound like it might work out so I am checking to see on these WD TV players to see if they can cod it. I almost jumped on one here earlier that was for sale but ended up passing and getting the Dune player instead. My question is will the WD TV live system transcode a file and work as a server so that I can play that file on another media player like a Playstation or Xbox? I want to convert all my Blu-Ray discs to either MKV .ISO files and store them locally and play them on a TV attached to the WD TV via HDMI but I also want to be able to play the same files in another room, not at the same time. Those rooms only have either an xbox or a ps3 and they wont play MKV or ISO files via their media player option. Any thoughts?
You can kind of but not using these devices. I can stream movies and music to by tablet from the USB drive attached to my WD. Although my tablet doens't support HDMI ( I just found that out), if you have such a tablet, you could plug it into any TV via HDMI and use it as a media streamer.
post #5619 of 5631 Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 32
On BDs you'll lose the menus, only the main movie will play.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5620 of 5631 Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this is the right thread for the Gen. 2 version WD Live, the one before they made the huge mistake of dropping Netflix support. Did some quick searches here without much luck, and don't have time to pour through a body of 5600 posts. I'm trying to research loss of sound while streaming Netflix, and some possibly related problems involving subtitles freezing. The problem is intermittent, sometimes cured by rebooting the WD Live, but sometimes even multiple reboots won't help. This is on a a wired connection to a U-Verse modem / router, which eliminates the whole wireless setup variable. Loss of sound has also occurred during playback from an attached portable hard drive, although far less often. I'm skeptical that this could be due to a bad HDMI or ethernet cable. I don't know how much credence to give to some user reports that these boxes (the competing Roku models can be included here) are in general unreliable, tending to burn out after a relatively short time. There are also some reports of firmware release problems. Finally, I'm wondering if the device can become "confused" regarding the signal source, if a hard drive remains attached while Netflix streaming is going on ?
post #5621 of 5631 Old 02-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
I hope this is the right thread for the Gen. 2 version WD Live, the one before they made the huge mistake of dropping Netflix support. Did some quick searches here without much luck, and don't have time to pour through a body of 5600 posts. I'm trying to research loss of sound while streaming Netflix, and some possibly related problems involving subtitles freezing. The problem is intermittent, sometimes cured by rebooting the WD Live, but sometimes even multiple reboots won't help. This is on a a wired connection to a U-Verse modem / router, which eliminates the whole wireless setup variable. Loss of sound has also occurred during playback from an attached portable hard drive, although far less often. I'm skeptical that this could be due to a bad HDMI or ethernet cable. I don't know how much credence to give to some user reports that these boxes (the competing Roku models can be included here) are in general unreliable, tending to burn out after a relatively short time. There are also some reports of firmware release problems. Finally, I'm wondering if the device can become "confused" regarding the signal source, if a hard drive remains attached while Netflix streaming is going on ?
So everything works except Netflix? Did Netflix work for some period of time before the problem arose? Subtitle freezing - what does that mean? Does it happen concurrently with loss of audio? FW hasn't changed in quite a while. Units "burning out" is news to me. I've been on WiFi with a HD attached for years. Maybe one of the reported gigabit switch issues - try it on WiFi - it may not stream too well but you can at least see if it exhibits the same symptoms...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5622 of 5631 Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
So everything works except Netflix? Did Netflix work for some period of time before the problem arose? Subtitle freezing - what does that mean? Does it happen concurrently with loss of audio? FW hasn't changed in quite a while. Units "burning out" is news to me. I've been on WiFi with a HD attached for years. Maybe one of the reported gigabit switch issues - try it on WiFi - it may not stream too well but you can at least see if it exhibits the same symptoms...
Thanks for your reply. It is hard to compare apples to apples in this case. Firstly, it is not my own WD Live or at my location (although I do have two of these at home myself, neither of which has shown these particular problems). I got the unit in question as a gift for my parents, who are less technically adept. I can only go by what they are reporting to me. Ideally, I need to be visiting at a time when the problem is occurring, and probably having brought along substitute items (perhaps including cables ?), to use for troubleshooting.

This WD TV Live had been in their previous residence, where it was being used in a rather different configuration -- Time Warner Cable + Tivo, and a wireless setup -- where the problems were quite different: frequent Stop | Start, with or without buffering pauses, and loss of connection to the server. Much the same thing happened with their Tivo's own Netflix gateway, so the suspicion ran to either some router problem, or Netflix' own infrastructure problems, for which there had been plenty of evidence. The WD Live was in part an attempt to provide an alternative to the flakey Tivo access.

In fact, I had long had the same sort of wireless connection problems in my own neighborhood, as had many others, with different streaming services -- not just Netflix. My own wireless problems with Netflix seem to have mostly gone away, as of about 6 months ago, despite having made no changes here, which leads me to think that Netflix may have made some major improvements to their delivery capacity in my area.

Anyway, back to the WD unit in question. My parents moved to an apartment, scrapped Time Warner and the Tivo, and with the new, smaller layout plus the change to U-Verse as the provider, there was now an opportunity to go wired, instead. Had to be better and a lot more straightforward, right ? Well, Yes and No. The wireless connection issues were gone, but now there is this loss of sound problem. Then, the other night, they reported subtitles frozen in place, while the video slowly inched its way forward, again with no sound. But my not being there to see this while it happens is a disadvantage. I think there had been good results under this setup for the first few weeks.

I don't know what you may be referring to, in regard to the "reported gigabit switch issue", as there is no additional hardware involved over there. While I would not rank their user reviews on the same level as those in forums like AVS, where the members are likely to have a lot more tech knowledge, if you look on Amazon for this device, you will find someone who claims he had 4 of these burn out. (The reports there on Roku reliability trend much worse.)

Trying a wireless setup there should at least offer some comparison.

Finally, I thought I might mention that the Amazon price on this 2nd. Gen. model has recently spiked by about 50 %. It may be that supply has dwindled, and we're nearing the end point on sales of this model. That will be unfortunate, as I think the Miracast in the Gen. 3 or later models is a VERY POOR exchange for the loss of the Netflix feature.

Last edited by Seeker47; 02-25-2015 at 10:32 AM.
post #5623 of 5631 Old 02-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed the price went up too. I bought all 3 of mine for $89 new off amazon. The price jumped because WDTV discontinued them and they have features not currently in the newest release, as you mentioned. All those dinosaur players that have functionality not found in current models are all price inflated. Dune players are twice the price, as is the neonetgeartv550 and the medi8er600. These are highly sought after for their full bd menu playback.
post #5624 of 5631 Old 02-25-2015, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think the hardcore users used their WDTV for the apps. And I think WDTV realized this.
post #5625 of 5631 Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. It is hard to compare apples to apples in this case. Firstly, it is not my own WD Live or at my location (although I do have two of these at home myself, neither of which has shown these particular problems). I got the unit in question as a gift for my parents, who are less technically adept. I can only go by what they are reporting to me. Ideally, I need to be visiting at a time when the problem is occurring, and probably having brought along substitute items (perhaps including cables ?), to use for troubleshooting.

This WD TV Live had been in their previous residence, where it was being used in a rather different configuration -- Time Warner Cable + Tivo, and a wireless setup -- where the problems were quite different: frequent Stop | Start, with or without buffering pauses, and loss of connection to the server. Much the same thing happened with their Tivo's own Netflix gateway, so the suspicion ran to either some router problem, or Netflix' own infrastructure problems, for which there had been plenty of evidence. The WD Live was in part an attempt to provide an alternative to the flakey Tivo access.

In fact, I had long had the same sort of wireless connection problems in my own neighborhood, as had many others, with different streaming services -- not just Netflix. My own wireless problems with Netflix seem to have mostly gone away, as of about 6 months ago, despite having made no changes here, which leads me to think that Netflix may have made some major improvements to their delivery capacity in my area.

Anyway, back to the WD unit in question. My parents moved to an apartment, scrapped Time Warner and the Tivo, and with the new, smaller layout plus the change to U-Verse as the provider, there was now an opportunity to go wired, instead. Had to be better and a lot more straightforward, right ? Well, Yes and No. The wireless connection issues were gone, but now there is this loss of sound problem. Then, the other night, they reported subtitles frozen in place, while the video slowly inched its way forward, again with no sound. But my not being there to see this while it happens is a disadvantage. I think there had been good results under this setup for the first few weeks.

I don't know what you may be referring to, in regard to the "reported gigabit switch issue", as there is no additional hardware involved over there. While I would not rank their user reviews on the same level as those in forums like AVS, where the members are likely to have a lot more tech knowledge, if you look on Amazon for this device, you will find someone who claims he had 4 of these burn out. (The reports there on Roku reliability trend much worse.)

Trying a wireless setup there should at least offer some comparison.

Finally, I thought I might mention that the Amazon price on this 2nd. Gen. model has recently spiked by about 50 %. It may be that supply has dwindled, and we're nearing the end point on sales of this model. That will be unfortunate, as I think the Miracast in the Gen. 3 or later models is a VERY POOR exchange for the loss of the Netflix feature.
With the last FW update the old model has Miracast too - in fact aside from Netflix I don't think there's any difference between the 2 models.

If you have another unit, why not swap out on your next visit? That should tell you for sure if it's a SMP issue or network issue...

CC

post #5626 of 5631 Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Do you mean reboot (holding the power button for 5 seconds) or power cycle? ( pulling the power plug for 10 seconds) I find that power cycling clears up slow navigation and stalling/loading issues with Netflix. My best guess for that is a memory leak within the WD or one of the apps. (clock time from the PC and temperature from Accuweather are always active in the background)

I had a sound problem with Netflix on my BluRay player that I never fully resolved. If I played a video file with ac3 audio then Netflix would subsequently have no sound over the digital output. (but would have sound over the analog L/R jacks) I don't know if the BluRay player was confused or if the A/V receiver was locked up. I could either play a file with mp2 audio or turn the BluRay off, then back on and it would work again. I never figured out if the BluRay or the receiver was the problem. I have not seen that issue with the WD, so the receiver may have been locking up the digital input.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #5627 of 5631 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

Troubleshooting partial failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
Do you mean reboot (holding the power button for 5 seconds) or power cycle? ( pulling the power plug for 10 seconds) I find that power cycling clears up slow navigation and stalling/loading issues with Netflix. My best guess for that is a memory leak within the WD or one of the apps. (clock time from the PC and temperature from Accuweather are always active in the background)
I wasn't aware there was more than one way to reboot, but I meant disconnecting the power for a couple minutes, then reconnecting it.

With my own Gen. 2 units, on occasion I've gotten an incomplete bootup, where it just goes off into La La Land, and never returns. The power recycle has cured that, so far.

In the case of a total failure, you could safely conclude that some component had fried, and the device was now a paperweight. It is these partial or intermittent failures that are much harder to diagnose.
post #5628 of 5631 Old Today, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wasn't aware there was more than one way to reboot, but I meant disconnecting the power for a couple minutes, then reconnecting it.

With my own Gen. 2 units, on occasion I've gotten an incomplete bootup, where it just goes off into La La Land, and never returns. The power recycle has cured that, so far.

In the case of a total failure, you could safely conclude that some component had fried, and the device was now a paperweight. It is these partial or intermittent failures that are much harder to diagnose.
You can also restart from the setup menu. I was under the impression all 3 methods were equivalent. I only replug when it freezes up and won't respond to the remote. I power down every night so it does a full reboot the next day when I power back up. That and no media library or content info seems to keep navigation from bogging down most of the time.

CC

post #5629 of 5631 Old Today, 11:40 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is the WD SMP dlna capable?
post #5630 of 5631 Old Today, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Mine works with PlayOn, which I'm pretty sure is a DLNA service.

CC

post #5631 of 5631 Old Today, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Yes, it has a very nice DLNA client. I use mine with Mezzmo (DLNA server) for playing BD.m2ts rips. When you press the button to pick a source you select Media Servers and any DLNA servers will show up.

Unfortunately it does not have a Plex client.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player