*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 189 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes
post #5641 of 5665 Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by diagoro View Post
I've seen the message four times in the past three weeks, and shut down the device after every use. it's only on when I'm watching something.
hm. If it were me, I would contact WD and have them issue a replacement. I can't think of anything that could be done otherwise. Maybe others can chime in. After being on this thread for a while, I have never seen users report this behavior before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 5665 Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My mistake in not doing a google search before posting. Seems there are quite a few posts regarding this. Most think it's related to a firmware update issue, and doing a reset (without updating) works......at least until they release the next version.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2303211
post #5643 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There's a memory leak in several of the apps. YouTube is the worst offender. Plenty of chatter about this issue at the WD Community...
post #5644 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
There's a memory leak in several of the apps. YouTube is the worst offender. Plenty of chatter about this issue at the WD Community...
That makes sense - I don't use any of the apps and have only seen the low memory alert once in 30+ months. Didn't require a reset, just a restart...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5645 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I don't use any of the streaming apps either. I don't believe I've ever seen a "low memory" warning, but if I have a Live player sitting unused in standby for a couple weeks I can almost guarantee that it won't come out of standby and I have to power cycle it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5646 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I don't use any of the streaming apps either. I don't believe I've ever seen a "low memory" warning, but if I have a Live player sitting unused in standby for a couple weeks I can almost guarantee that it won't come out of standby and I have to power cycle it.
I've had to start using the "hard-off" every night. If I don't, it may start OK, but often will either freeze up and stop responding to the remote, or folder navigation is so slow that it's quicker to replug than wait for it. And that's with ML and content info turned off. But that's happened so frequently that I've pretty much ruled out any association with my one-time-only low memory alert...

CC

post #5647 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Unfortunately, to do a hard-off from the remote you have to hold the power button for 5 sec. I use a Harmony remote and there is no primitive power command for the Live-SMP that will turn the unit off. The power toggle command only puts it into standby. Generally that is OK with me because it has to be in standby for it to be network accessible. I have my units located for easy access to pull the power plug from the back.

There has been so much continuing talk about how wonderful Kodi is, I'm going to install a copy on my PC to check it out. If if knocks my socks off as a media player relative to using the Live-SMP, it may be time for a change.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5648 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I've had to start using the "hard-off" every night. If I don't, it may start OK, but often will either freeze up and stop responding to the remote, or folder navigation is so slow that it's quicker to replug than wait for it. And that's with ML and content info turned off. But that's happened so frequently that I've pretty much ruled out any association with my one-time-only low memory alert...

I can confirm similar issues with my setup. I predominantly use a Network Share for streaming as well as the Netflix and SlingPlayer app. Unbearably slow folder navigation with the network share and remote freezing with the other two apps are frequent problems I encounter. Unplugging is most often my only choice. As critical as I've been of my Popcorn Hour players, this WDTV gets reset more often than those 3 other players combined.
post #5649 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
I can confirm similar issues with my setup. I predominantly use a Network Share for streaming as well as the Netflix and SlingPlayer app. Unbearably slow folder navigation with the network share and remote freezing with the other two apps are frequent problems I encounter. Unplugging is most often my only choice. As critical as I've been of my Popcorn Hour players, this WDTV gets reset more often than those 3 other players combined.
Are you using hard-off or standby? With hard-off I very rarely need to re-plug - worst case is occasionally having to reconnect network or share.

I forgot that I did try out the slingplayer app, but don't use it ongoing because the cable box is attached to the same TV as the SMP...

CC

post #5650 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you using hard-off or standby? With hard-off I very rarely need to re-plug - worst case is occasionally having to reconnect network or share.

I forgot that I did try out the slingplayer app, but don't use it ongoing because the cable box is attached to the same TV as the SMP...

Good question. I hold the power button for a few seconds to turn it "off". I don't see any lights on the front. Is this what you mean?
post #5651 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 51
ok the adolescent me is FIGHTING to stay quiet with all this talk of "hard-offs"

fighting, guys...
post #5652 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Good question. I hold the power button for a few seconds to turn it "off". I don't see any lights on the front. Is this what you mean?
Yes, holding the power button until it shuts down. For me that mitigates the problems; yours must have other issues. How about media library or content info? How many files on your shares? WiFi or wired?

CC

post #5653 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
ok the adolescent me is FIGHTING to stay quiet with all this talk of "hard-offs"

fighting, guys...
<Slap> Get ahold of yourself! Wait - that didn't come out right...
JRock3x8 likes this.

CC

post #5654 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
<Slap> Get ahold of yourself! Wait - that didn't come out right...
roflmao
post #5655 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Unfortunately, to do a hard-off from the remote you have to hold the power button for 5 sec. I use a Harmony remote and there is no primitive power command for the Live-SMP that will turn the unit off.
You can also set the power feature in the settings that does a shutdown (not standby) after a set interval (3 hours by default).
post #5656 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, holding the power button until it shuts down. For me that mitigates the problems; yours must have other issues. How about media library or content info? How many files on your shares? WiFi or wired?
Honestly, Media Library was a complete joke to me. I have a pretty extensive collection of TV shows and BluRays (22TB) but I really didn't like how the media files the WDTV creates need to be local (i.e. where the media is stored). I just shut it off and use the list view. I also have issues with it forgetting my share but that's not a huge deal. Also, I just remembered that I'm not using Netflix on the WDTV (just my tv) so it's either my network share or the Slingplayer app.
post #5657 of 5665 Old 03-19-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't mind turning it off completely, since I'm passing the device on my way to the kitchen or something anyway. Thus I've never seen any weird effects people keep reporting about that might be connected to the player waking up improperly from standby.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5658 of 5665 Old 03-20-2015, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Honestly, Media Library was a complete joke to me. I have a pretty extensive collection of TV shows and BluRays (22TB) but I really didn't like how the media files the WDTV creates need to be local (i.e. where the media is stored). I just shut it off and use the list view. I also have issues with it forgetting my share but that's not a huge deal. Also, I just remembered that I'm not using Netflix on the WDTV (just my tv) so it's either my network share or the Slingplayer app.
agree wholeheartedly. the lack of a nicer interface is the only thing that makes this box a real poop show. Otherwise its great.
post #5659 of 5665 Old 03-20-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recommend using tversity for streaming locally stored content. I had issues with playback when I first got this thing. I had used tversity with my directv box so I tried it on the WD player and does really well with all kinds of different file formats. If you are having problems give it a try.
post #5660 of 5665 Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I rolled the newest firmware back to 2.01.86 and have had no lock ups etc for weeks now.
My WDTV live streaming is a trifle clunky but I cannot find any other streaming device that plays all my video files as efficiently.
Never use any of the Apps but love the way it downloads the backdrops and descriptions of each TV episode & Movie. It remembers the last played position of each video and deletes them after playing.
For USB playing of videos, IMO, there is no replacement.
post #5661 of 5665 Old 03-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I never used content info - it might be OK for movies but completely impractical for TV. I was using ML though, to aggregate all my shares into one unified top view at desired subfolder levels. It worked great when I only had a thousand or 2 TV episodes in the library...

CC

post #5662 of 5665 Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I never used content info - it might be OK for movies but completely impractical for TV. I was using ML though, to aggregate all my shares into one unified top view at desired subfolder levels. It worked great when I only had a thousand or 2 TV episodes in the library...
I have all my media in unRAID server so the WDTV only sees one share by default. It's just a shame that WD is so far behind on their front end...
post #5663 of 5665 Old Yesterday, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

this weekend I was watching a rip of big hero 6 and about 30% of the way through the audio jsut went haywire and all I heard was very loud static until I reset the stereo. It didn't happen again. That has never happened before.

Is that the file, the player or the receiver?
post #5664 of 5665 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
this weekend I was watching a rip of big hero 6 and about 30% of the way through the audio jsut went haywire and all I heard was very loud static until I reset the stereo. It didn't happen again. That has never happened before.

Is that the file, the player or the receiver?
That has happened to me about a dozen times.
Not sure if it was only with DTS-HD MA soundtracks or also with DTS.
Need to pause movies and power cycle my receiver and it's good again.
It seems to be random, because if you play the same chapter again it won't happen.
I'm assuming it's something to do with the WD and my receiver getting out of sync on the HDMI audio stream.
I have WD TV Live and a pioneer sc-1328 receiver.
post #5665 of 5665 Unread Today, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudDad View Post
That has happened to me about a dozen times.
Not sure if it was only with DTS-HD MA soundtracks or also with DTS.
Need to pause movies and power cycle my receiver and it's good again.
It seems to be random, because if you play the same chapter again it won't happen.
I'm assuming it's something to do with the WD and my receiver getting out of sync on the HDMI audio stream.
I have WD TV Live and a pioneer sc-1328 receiver.
mine is also a pioneer VSX-523-K or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page