*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 5190 Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

That's up to the database provider, not WD... And it's so rare that the DVD order is different than airing order, this would be a colossal waste of code. It's far simpler to manually rename your episodes to DVD order, scrape, and then edit the sort order.



Yes, it works fine. They did change the name matching algorithm a tad, but it worked on 100% of my shows...



My kids love'em. Especially WeeWee Kitty! I like darts, myself.

I understand that the renaming issue is due to the database provider but it is still a mis-handled feature of THIS device. It may be easy to manually rename and reorder the episodes if you only have a small collection. It's a different story when you have hundreds.

The scraping of movies works on my player. The TV renaming does not (even though I have the correct naming structure). If I do a manual scan on a file and look at the settings I can see that the movie database is being accessed instead of the TV database. This feature worked on the previous firmware.

If you and your kids enjoy the games then great. They just seem like a waste...but that's me.
stiggs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Stiggs, I have not experienced any of those problems, either.

To be fair, I am not bothered about, nor have I tried things like Netflix (I'm not sure we have it yet in the UK).

But currently all my jpegs have shown. Media scraping (for filmns) is close to 100% accurate on files on the NAS.

I've not had the player lock up or reboot 'on random occasions' - it has locked up when I did something untoward with it (can't remember what), but that happens with my old WDTV Live, too.

Steve W
Pecker is offline  
post #543 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 AM
Member
 
terranova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic646 View Post

I just hooked this thing up and all is well except for one thing...it doesnt play flac files. In fact, it doesnt even see them on my home network. I remember my Live Plus had this problem too, then it seemed like one day it just started working. I dont think I even updated the firmware. Any suggestions on how I might be able to get it to start seeing/playing my flac files? Im on the latest firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic646 View Post

So am I the only person with a WDTV Live SMP that has a problem seeing/playing flac?

my entire music library is made up of FLAC and i have not had any problems playing back these files. album covers and metatags work fine as well.

it worked for me on the latest firmware as well as the older firmware (the one preceding this). my FLAC are stored on a NAS and played through the wdtv live-s via the "media server" (i.e. DLNA) route.

hope that helps.
terranova is offline  
post #544 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WDFan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

I also think that adding games to a media player rather than fixing bugs is complete BS. However, so far I haven't experienced any playback problems with files that run on my old LIVE, apart from the autoframe issue of course.

This is one of those Low Cost, Big Gains things.

They didn't write the games... All they did was add a small loader.

Since all the games are FLASH-Lite based, and offered by a service provider, WD won't even need to maintain it unless the providers change a critical API (unlikely.)

I would suspect we'll see that kinda stuff increase steadily over time... Very low investment, big "marketing" gains.

Sure, lots of people agree there's really no place for games on a media box, but strangely, a few of the comparison reviews mark it as a +1...

... and that was a +1 for the FunSpot flotsam. The PlayJam stuff is actually kinda fun.

Many LG TVs now are shipping with PlayJam, and I believe it's the exact same content.
WDFan1970 is online now  
post #545 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Senior Member
 
TimA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyDLP View Post

You know it's the strangest thing, I finally managed to get Linux(ubuntu) serving functional NFS shares to the WDTV Live Streaming Media player, and Linux(ubuntu) is doing a worse job than Windows XP with services for Unix installed. The playback is nearly perfect on the XP machine, while on the Linux machine playback is choppy during many scenes(always the same scenes though) sharing the same test files. In addition the Linux(ubuntu) machine is running on a Core i7 2.8 Ghz, Gigabit ethernet, and Raid 5. While the meager little Windows XP box has an Athlon XP 3.2 Ghz, 100 Mbps ethernet, and a normal hardrive.



So does any one have any idea why this is happening?



does anyone know how to optimize a WDTV Live Streaming Media Player with a Linux NFS share?



P.s. what's even stranger than that, is that when I connect the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player with a Cat 5e\\Ethernet patch cord to the router (as opposed to wireless N) the Linux box performs even worse, so badly in fact that the Movie becomes unwatchable.

I haven't used NFS since my MythTV days, but take a look at this link:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/performance.html

It provides extensive tuning options to increase your NFS server performance on Linux.
TimA is offline  
post #546 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WDFan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post

I understand that the renaming issue is due to the database provider but it is still a mis-handled feature of THIS device. It may be easy to manually rename and reorder the episodes if you only have a small collection. It's a different story when you have hundreds.

I'll grant that's a valid opinion, I just don't think that you'll find many people that would get a bent about it. You have HUNDREDS of series where the Air-order is different than the DVD order? You have eclectic tastes.

Heck, in the majority of cases, TVDB has *no* info on DVD ordering.

Quote:


The TV renaming does not (even though I have the correct naming structure). If I do a manual scan on a file and look at the settings I can see that the movie database is being accessed instead of the TV database. This feature worked on the previous firmware.

Well, by definition, that means you do NOT have the correct naming structure. It uses the NAME to determine which database to look at. If it doesn't recognize the "Magic Flags" in the filename for a TV show, it's going to assume that it's a movie.

I would hazard a guess that you have your files named like this:

Showname SxxExx.ext

where it needs to be

Showname.SxxExx.ext

That additional decimal makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, it does appear that WD made that change in this FW, and given that they've yet to publish a formal spec on how they SHOULD be named (shame on them)

But, be that as it may, it's still your names that the WD doesn't like anymore. Doesn't matter that it used to work.

If you want to move forward and make it work, use the Bulk Renamer program to do a pattern match rename, and you'll be done in about 10 seconds. (I did that a long time ago for about 2000 TV episodes, and it actually took about 3 seconds.)

If you want to hold your breath until WD does something about it, well, that's your time and money then.
WDFan1970 is online now  
post #547 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

Stiggs, I have not experienced any of those problems, either.

To be fair, I am not bothered about, nor have I tried things like Netflix (I'm not sure we have it yet in the UK).

But currently all my jpegs have shown. Media scraping (for filmns) is close to 100% accurate on files on the NAS.

I've not had the player lock up or reboot 'on random occasions' - it has locked up when I did something untoward with it (can't remember what), but that happens with my old WDTV Live, too.

Steve W

A lot of the negative issues that I have experienced with the WD TV Streaming player deal with the online streaming capabilities of the device. The individuals that don't use those functions will obviously be unaware of those matters.

Media scraping of films on local devices works fairly well (media scraping on multiple NAS devices is a different story). Since the firmware update I can not get one single TV show to be recognized on a local or NAS device.

The JPG issue is baffling. I have hundreds of images that won't display on the WD unit but will work if streamed through any other device. I could post a screen shot of the error message but I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

I have seen this unit reboot (either manually or randomly) at least 20 times in a little over a month. That's probabaly 10 times the amount of reboots that I experienced in years of owning a WD TV Live.

This kind of comparison is very helpful (as oppossed to the idiotic claim that my experience is BS). It indicates that there may be something wrong with my unit. I appreciate the input.
stiggs is offline  
post #548 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Member
 
theruckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some movies that rio to WS or FS just fine but a few (The Abyss and Raising Arizona for example) when played on the DVD player are widescreen OR fullscreen but when I rip them to MKV, they are not not only 4:3 but SHRUNK even more to a little rectangle....almost like a WS pic inside a 4:3....YET SOME OTHERS rip just fine....I use DVD Decrypter (for ISO) and MakeMKV most of the time. I assume this is not the WDTV issue, so kinda off topic but any thoughts appreciated.

suggestions?

thx

Scott
theruckman is offline  
post #549 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the reply, Stiggs.

It's important to remember that every media player I've ever read about at various forums has some issues for some people.

As an example, one of the main problems is that different players will link to different sites for media scraping, and the different sites have different naming protocols. If a player uses a resource compatible with how you named files on your old player, then bingo. If not, you're likely to have a very frustrating time, and it's understandable why people then blame the player.

I have none of my TV programmes named in a way that would link to any form of scraping, so if I want to scrape them I'll have to rename the lot, but that's true of whichever player I were to buy.

Fortunately for me, I only scrape films. If My Julie is looking through my films to decide which to watch she may not hace a clue what some are about. But I think she knows what all my TV series are about.

For me, scraping for TV series is completely unnecessary. But then again, that's just me.

Steve W
Pecker is offline  
post #550 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

I'll grant that's a valid opinion, I just don't think that you'll find many people that would get a bent about it. You have HUNDREDS of series where the Air-order is different than the DVD order? You have eclectic tastes.

Heck, in the majority of cases, TVDB has *no* info on DVD ordering.

I didn't say that I had hundreds of series of programs. I said that I had hundreds of episodes. So you are suggesting that I go to my media library on my PC and manually rename each file to match that which is displayed in the episode description on the WD TV device? I'll have to watch a bit of each episode to find the corresponding listing on the WD device. That will only take days...no thanks.

Quote:


Well, by definition, that means you do NOT have the correct naming structure. It uses the NAME to determine which database to look at. If it doesn't recognize the "Magic Flags" in the filename for a TV show, it's going to assume that it's a movie.

I would hazard a guess that you have your files named like this:

Showname SxxExx.ext

where it needs to be

Showname.SxxExx.ext

That additional decimal makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, it does appear that WD made that change in this FW

Thanks for the tip. I actually had the episodes listed as Showname - SxxExx - Title and this worked before the update. It seems to be working now as long as I rename my files to the exact specification that you mentioned (any variance and it will not function). Why would they change it to something so specific? The previous firmware allowed for different naming structures such as:

Showname -SxxExx
Showname SxxExx
Showname.SxxExx
Showname 101
Showname.101

I had used an automatic renamer to organize my TV episodes which are stored on a local drive. The resulting naming structure was Showname - SxxExx - Title. The strange thing is that the program uses the same online TVDB to aggegate the data. One would think that the WD device would allow recognition of these files since they were "scraped" from the same database.
stiggs is offline  
post #551 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just turned on on my WD TV Streaming device and tried to play a video file, one that worked yesterday, and I received this message*. Do you still want to stick to your misguided opinion that my claims are "BS"?


*see attachment
LL
stiggs is offline  
post #552 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Member
 
klutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post

I just turned on on my WD TV Streaming device and tried to play a video file, one that worked yesterday, and I received this message*. Do you still want to stick to your misguided opinion that my claims are "BS"?


*see attachment

I'm wondering if you just don't have a bad box. Rebooting itself 10-20 times over the past month should be enough of a red flag that something is wrong. At least try doing a hard-reset and set it up fresh. If my PC is blue screening on me 10-20 times a month I'd certainly think something is going wrong and it's not nearly as simple as this little box.
klutch is offline  
post #553 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by klutch View Post

I'm wondering if you just don't have a bad box. Rebooting itself 10-20 times over the past month should be enough of a red flag that something is wrong. At least try doing a hard-reset and set it up fresh. If my PC is blue screening on me 10-20 times a month I'd certainly think something is going wrong and it's not nearly as simple as this little box.

I would agree, see if you can get WD to replace it under any warranty it may have.

Bill
mrfattbill is online now  
post #554 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Member
 
klutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Additionally have you looked at or sought help at the WD forums?
klutch is offline  
post #555 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WDFan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post

So you are suggesting that I go to my media library on my PC and manually rename each file to match that which is displayed in the episode description on the WD TV device?

No, not at all.

I'm suggesting you rename the FILENAME.

If you named it based on DVD Order, then change the EPISODE NUMBER in the filename to the AIRED order.

So if it AIRED as the FIRST episode, but is the 7th episode according to the DVD chronology, then you would rename

Show.S01E07.ext to
Show.S01E01.ext

Rescrape. It will now correctly match the CONTENTS to the EPISODE, but your ordering will now be AIRED order instead of DVD order.

Then change the TITLE tag in the XML ONLY back to "Show - Season 1 - 07 Title" so that it SORTS the way you want it.

Quote:
I'll have to watch a bit of each episode to find the corresponding listing on the WD device. That will only take days...no thanks.

Presumably there's a listing for your show SOMEWHERE on the 'net that shows the DVD order, but I've never found one... except for maybe a product description of a DVD set (like on Amazon, but even those are few and far between...)

Quote:
....One would think that the WD device would allow recognition of these files since they were "scraped" from the same database.

My theory, and only a theory, is that the more generalized names were triggering too many cases where a MOVIE title was being interpreted as a TV show naming form, so tightening down to a more uniform and explicit set for TV shows would reduce those false positives.

Time will tell.

WD, as far as I am concerned, has the whole scraping thing aced. Ignoring XBMC (which is really not a comparison anyway), NO other product out there has this much automation and flexibility when it comes to metadata.

Most people point at BOXEE. However, BOXEE ENFORCES that their servers be consulted, even if the user provides their own NFO files. So, they are fraught with mismatch data even if the user attempts to override it.

The conspiracy theory there is that Boxee is data-mining all your information on media that you have, and how often you watch it, and selling that data.

NetGear is the only other product I had any experience with, and their metadata format is completely proprietary, and you must run a client on a PC to do the scraping.

WD's is a piece of cake. If one doesn't like the automated scraping results, it's easy to delete / edit / modify, or use any of a large number of third party XML scrapers to do the heavy lifting. The WD doesn't care where the metadata comes from... it now imports ANY existing XML as if it were its own.
WDFan1970 is online now  
post #556 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are a few more pictures that illustrate the issues that I am experiencing with this device.

The first one (1) shows that images are not being displayed on the Facebook app. The name is blurrred out because it is not my account.

The next one (2) shows that certain JPG images from my media library will not display on the device.

The last one (3) shows that the "now playing" bar covers up relevant information like time and weather. Why wouldn't they just move it below that part of the screen?

My player just randomly crashed again right as I was posting this message. Wow.
LL
LL
LL
stiggs is offline  
post #557 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Member
 
klutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post

Here are a few more pictures that illustrate the issues that I am experiencing with this device.

The first one (1) shows that images are not being displayed on the Facebook app. The name is blurrred out because it is not my account.

The next one (2) shows that certain JPG images from my media library will not display on the device.

The last one (3) shows that the "now playing" bar covers up relevant information like time and weather. Why wouldn't they just move it below that part of the screen?

My player just randomly crashed again right as I was posting this message. Wow.

YOUR PLAYER IS FUGGED UP

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index_end.asp?lang=en
klutch is offline  
post #558 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klutch View Post

YOUR PLAYER IS FUGGED UP

Is that your professional opinion?

I posted these messsages and photos to varify if these issues are a widespread problem or an isolated incident. I don't want to go through the entire warranty/return process if I'm just going to get another device that suffers from the same issues.

It appears that my device may be faulty, although that explanation doesn't address every issue, but so far no one can confirm that accusation. Perhaps someone could check some of my specific complaints (Facebook, JPG's, Netflix lip-sync, Xvid lip-sync, MKV stuttering) and post their findings.

Saying "you're wrong/lying" or "you don't know what you're doing" or "you're player is busted" doesn't really help.

Thanks
stiggs is offline  
post #559 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Member
 
klutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not speaking to your entire list of issues. You had me at "rebooting/crashing 10-20 times a month". Yes, that is my professional opinion, it's fugged up. The fact that it's fugged up means it could be an underlying problem to your other issues. Refusing to go through the RMA process is insane. Is it really better to beat your head against the wall? If this was your car would you fix it or sit on forums all day insisting it isn't a problem?
klutch is offline  
post #560 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klutch View Post

Refusing to go through the RMA process is insane. Is it really better to beat your head against the wall? If this was your car would you fix it or sit on forums all day insisting it isn't a problem?

Have you ever taken a car in to get serviced only to be told after a week that there is nothing wrong with it only to see the same problems occur the next time you drive the vehicle?

I didn't say that I was refusing to RMA the device. I just don't want to send it back, wait weeks for a return and then end up with the same exact issues. THEN I would bang my head against the wall.

I know from past experience with my old WD TV Live player that many of the initial issues were cleared up in subsequent firmware updates. I'm trying to determine if these current problems that I am experiencing are isolated on my device or common occurances. If it turns out that someone can confirm that these issues are widespread then I will wait for a fix. If not then I will send it back. That seems like a logical way to handle the dilemma.

Thanks for the input.
stiggs is offline  
post #561 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Member
 
klutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if it where me I would try resetting it, download and install the old firmware and re-upgrade the firmware, testing at each step. If I didn't feel good about the results I would simply buy a new one from Best Buy to test with. See if you have the same issues, if not RMA the one you have keeping the BB one until your return policy is up and take it back. I RMA'ed one of my old Live's and WD was very good about replacing it quickly. IIRC they even had the option of sending me a new one right out of the gate by securing a CC number (advanced replacement?) Just save yourself a lot of heartache and go buy another to test with.
klutch is offline  
post #562 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klutch View Post

So if it where me I would try resetting it, download and install the old firmware and re-upgrade the firmware, testing at each step. If I didn't feel good about the results I would simply buy a new one from Best Buy to test with.

I've tried hard resetting multiple times with no luck. It appears as if WD has pulled the former firmware 1.03.10 due to issues with the roll back.

I know this sounds crazy but I don't want to buy another device from Best Buy just to test it. I have a problem with people who use retail merchants as a testing ground for various products. There are some people on these forums who have returned 10 TVs to a retailer as part of their buying process. People wonder why brick-and-morter retailers are closing shop. Sorry to get off on a tangent. My opinion is probably due to my sensibilities and my years in retail when I was younger. I'm not judging you as it's a valid suggestion.

I'll try the firmware rollback and reinstall (If I can find it). If that doesn't work I'll probably just RMA it back to WD.
stiggs is offline  
post #563 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
msgohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post

Netflix displays lip sync errors on certain programs. I've tried watching the initial episode of The Walking Dead and the audio/video was out of sync by almost a full second. The same episode plays perfectly through Netflix on my XBOX and PlayStation.

Did you only listen in stereo on PS3? The 5.1 was out of sync for me and this guy.
msgohan is offline  
post #564 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WDFan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post

I have a problem with people who use retail merchants as a testing ground for various products.

Hear-Hear. Kudos.

The whole roll-back re-upgrade process is a bit of a red herring.

I know that people have done that "successfully," but I think "success" in that case is coincidental to a separate issue.

I know from a brief foray into hacking WDLXTV how the upgrade process works.

The WD unpacks the file system, and then verifies the checksum of EVERY SINGLE SYSTEM FILE (and there are THOUSANDS of them) against an MD5 checksum in a separate file.

If there are issues, it will abandon the upgrade. This makes the possibility of a corrupt install infinitesimally small.

It also verifies the checksum of most of the files every time the system is cold started, meaning that corrupted flash is detected, and will put the box in "SOS" mode. (The LED literally flashes Morse S-O-S).

I HAVE seen a few "Fatal Error" messages. But not that many. I think I've had two since I unpacked it on the first day they were available.
WDFan1970 is online now  
post #565 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Did you only listen in stereo on PS3? The 5.1 was out of sync for me and this guy.

I tried watching the same Walking Dead episode on my PS3 in 5.1 and I discovered that it is also out-of-sync. So this clears up the Netflix out-of-sync issue on the WD device.
Good call and thanks for the info.
stiggs is offline  
post #566 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post

I know from past experience with my old WD TV Live player that many of the initial issues were cleared up in subsequent firmware updates. I'm trying to determine if these current problems that I am experiencing are isolated on my device or common occurances. If it turns out that someone can confirm that these issues are widespread then I will wait for a fix.

Yes, that is very true and the only reason I decided to hang onto this device. After only 2 days of use, I already knew the Live-S wasn't ready for prime time yet. My previous (current) experience is with the Live+. I bought it only after it had several firmware updates to fix the blatant release bugs. I liked it as it was, but there were a number of bugs remaining. Over the next several months it seemed WD released a firmware update every 1.5 month which ironed out the bugs and improved performance.

I bought the Live-S way too early in it's release cycle, on impulse. It's set up in a test configuration and will stay there until a few more FW updates. I believe you are seeing your problems and I'm not too surprised others have not seen the same. I'm a little bothered by the reboots, but not ready to write your player off as defective -- my bets are on immature firmware. I've already reported that my Live-S immediately chokes (5 fps stuttering and no audio) when streaming high bitrate BD.m2ts rips from my NAS over SMB (i.e. Avatar, StarTrek 2009, Transformers . . .). To date, nobody has come forward to confirm my observation or say they have no problem with high bitrate BD.m2ts files. Again not surprising, the number of people who have this unit appears to be small, currently. I absolutely have no doubt this is a firmware issue with the Live-S.

My Live+, plugged into the same switch plays those same high-bitrate BD.m2ts files perfectly over SMB. But when I first got it, it didn't. It took a couple firmware updates before they got SMB right on the Live+. I'm assuming it will take a couple more Live-S firmware updates before this issue (and the auto frame rate stuttering problem) is ironed out. The only reason I held onto the Live-S instead of returning it immediately was WD's track record for releasing new firmware to fix the bugs.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #567 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Member
 
klutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Only saying that I'd try going after the firmware, it's the only thing that's recently changed right?

As far as screwing over Best Buy, I'm not some big advocate of this either. I'd exhaust everything I can first but honestly, if you end up taking it back, it'll get sold as an open box for $10 less. This isn't Ma and Pa's electronics, this type of stuff is already well figured into their margins. Call it Karma for selling $100 Monster HDMI cables.
klutch is offline  
post #568 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I believe you are seeing your problems and I'm not too surprised others have not seen the same. I'm a little bothered by the reboots, but not ready to write your player off as defective -- my bets are on immature firmware. I'm assuming it will take a couple more Live-S firmware updates before this issue (and the auto frame rate stuttering problem) is ironed out. The only reason I held onto the Live-S instead of returning it immediately was WD's track record for releasing new firmware to fix the bugs.

Thanks for the response. It's nice to see a rational analysis of the situation.
stiggs is offline  
post #569 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Newbie
 
DufferDan62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet. I am pretty sure I will purchase a WD Live Streaming unit, but do not have an empty HDMI input on my audio receiver and do not want to go the HDMI switch route. I do however have an HDMI input on my TV and an optical audio input open on my receiver. Will this solution be degraded for not sending the audio through the HDMI cable through the receiver? I prefer to listen to DTS when the movie or file will support it.
Thanks for your time,
DufferDan62
DufferDan62 is offline  
post #570 of 5190 Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DufferDan62 View Post

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet. I am pretty sure I will purchase a WD Live Streaming unit, but do not have an empty HDMI input on my audio receiver and do not want to go the HDMI switch route. I do however have an HDMI input on my TV and an optical audio input open on my receiver. Will this solution be degraded for not sending the audio through the HDMI cable through the receiver? I prefer to listen to DTS when the movie or file will support it.

You will be fine. In the Audio setup screen you have 3 choices: stereo, digital pass-through via HDMI and digital pass-through via optical. You will be able to stream DTS core audio over optical -- HD audio only streams over HDMI. But since the Live-S doesn't support DTS-HD you are not losing anything by using optical.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off