*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 190 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #5671 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
Now I'm thinking about getting a chromebox with Kodi to replace my WDTV boxes. Only because navigation is sooooooooo painfully slow with 800+ movies and a similar number of TV shows. Anyone else here go that route? Maybe I'll just buy one and play with it for a bit. I wish WDTV would update their hardware.
Yep - for my main viewing area, I'm now using the Asus Chromebox M004U with XBMC (I haven't upgraded to Kodi yet because my favorite theme isn't compatible yet.)

It's brilliant. My library consists of 200+ movies, and almost 4,000 TV episodes (plus my music library).

The Chromebox is definitely more expensive than a Fire/Stick, but it's not Android-based -- it's full-blown Linux. There are features of Kodi that don't work on Android (such as Framerate matching, and support for some high-resolution audio codecs.)

Setting up Chromebox is quite a bit more involved than sideloading XBMC on Android -- it took me about an hour to get it up and running.

A brilliant individual set up a quick install guide for running OpenELEC (which is a skinny Linux built specifically for XBMC/Kodi.)

http://kodi.wiki/view/Asus_Chromebox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks WDFan - I was going to ask that exact question - difference between sideloading on say the AFTV vs. chromebox. What do you use for a remote?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5673 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 574
@WDFan1970
You could save me a bunch of time if you know whether Kodi has a DLNA client or not.
No DLNA, no Kodi -- that's just the way it is in my network setup.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5674 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Thanks WDFan - I was going to ask that exact question - difference between sideloading on say the AFTV vs. chromebox. What do you use for a remote?
I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the remote for only a few weeks, then I set up my Harmony One. The USB IR Receiver included with that remote works either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
@WDFan1970
You could save me a bunch of time if you know whether Kodi has a DLNA client or not.
No DLNA, no Kodi -- that's just the way it is in my network setup.
DLNA CLIENT: Yes. It does support streaming via DLNA. As to how well it functions, I don't know first-hand, as all of my media is sourced via SMB.

Just to make sure I'm answering the right question: Kodi does not have a DLNA CLIENT SOFTWARE package where the Kodi box acts as a "Server" to OTHER DLNA clients.

Kodi ITSELF is the DLNA client and works with numerous DLNA servers.

Also, keep in mind that XBMC/Kodi is lacking when it comes to internet media. But that never bothered me, as I get most of my internet services right on my TV or TiVo.
I use XBMC only for local media playback.

If y'all go the ChromeBox route, I'd suggest the M-115U. It's the same as the M-004U, but includes a Bluetooth Keyboard / Mouse combo. That mouse and keyboard works perfectly, so no guesswork as to which other remotes/KB's will work. I don't use it very often, but I set up my ChromeBox in Dual-Boot mode so I can websurf or do a few other things which require KB / Mouse.
post #5675 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
DLNA CLIENT: Yes. It does support streaming via DLNA.

Just to make sure I'm answering the right question: Kodi does not have a DLNA CLIENT SOFTWARE package where the Kodi box acts as a "Server" to OTHER DLNA clients.

Kodi ITSELF is the DLNA client and works with numerous DLNA servers.
Thanks, that is exactly what I meant. I have a DLNA server (Mezzmo) running on my Media-PC and use the DLNA clients on the WD Live-SMP's to stream content. Kodi would have to have a DLNA client for me to even consider it -- which as you indicate, it does.

Quote:
If y'all go the ChromeBox route, I'd suggest the M-115U. It's the same as the M-004U, but includes a Bluetooth Keyboard / Mouse combo.
Thanks, but frankly, if I were to really like Kodi and decide to put one up in the main viewing room, I wouldn't go Chomebox with Openelec. I like more power in my boxes and would go with either an i3 or i5 NUC and full Ubuntu (or possibly KodiBuntu) -- just my personal bias.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 03-30-2015 at 09:37 AM.
post #5676 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, that is exactly what I meant. I have a DLNA server (Mezzmo) running on my Media-PC and use the DLNA clients on the WD Live-SMP's to stream content. Kodi would have to have a DLNA client for me to even consider it -- which as you indicate, it does.

Thanks, but frankly, if I were to really like Kodi and decide to put one up in the main viewing room, I wouldn't go Chomebox with Openelec. I like more power in my boxes and would go with either an i3 or i5 NUC and full Ubuntu (or possibly KodiBuntu) -- just my personal bias.
That setup would replace one of your SMPs, right? Does it buy you anything that improves the use of the other SMPs?

Edit> BTW AFAIK the quad-core i5's are still single-threaded, so I think one of the newer double-threaded 4MB cache i3's might be a pretty good fit for this kind of application...

CC

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 03-30-2015 at 09:48 AM.
post #5677 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The CPU in the ChromeBox is quite sufficient for the task of running Kodi.

I am running a *VERY* "thick" skin on XBMC: Aeon MQ5. It needs a lot of horsepower -- the Chromebox runs about 30% CPU when the GUI is running hard.

Streaming a Bluray with subtitles & everything up and running, the Chromebox only barely goes above 20% CPU. For interlaced BD, it's somewhat higher when enabling software de-interlacing. For SD video, it runs maybe 5-10%.

Before I headed down the Kodi path, I loaded it on my 6-Core Ubuntu 2.4GHz 8GB home server just to see if I liked it. Its usability was no better/faster than the Asus.

All I'm saying is don't overspend on the hardware -- Kodi is VERY efficient -- The Chromebox is inexpensive, compact, and quiet. It includes the RAM and the SSD for $149. I've seen Barebones Hasswell NUCs for ~$200, but then you add another $100 or so for storage....

There's plenty of posts out in netland about videos that choke an i3 Haswell NUC that play flawlessly on the Celeron 2955U...
post #5678 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That setup would replace one of your SMPs, right? Does it buy you anything that improves the use of the other SMPs?
It would replace the Live-SMP in the main room and I would re-deploy it somewhere else. I don't see how it would impact any of the other Live's.

I really like the Live-SMP so Kodi would have to be very special to cause me to displace it. I'll know when I try it out on my desktop.

- kelson h

post #5679 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It would replace the Live-SMP in the main room and I would re-deploy it somewhere else. I don't see how it would impact any of the other Live's.

I really like the Live-SMP so Kodi would have to be very special to cause me to displace it. I'll know when I try it out on my desktop.
Sounds like there's more to it than I thought. On the AFTV I thought its main purpose was to play formats the AFTV can't play natively, but of course the SMP already does that...

CC

post #5680 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 35
@wdfan 90 does the M-115U support 3D BD ISO? Or is there a DLNA server that will even serve up a 3D BD ISO or BDMV for that matter?
post #5681 of 5693 Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
The FTV might also be worth a 2nd look now that Amazon has semi-enabled the USB port?
FAT32 only? No way.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5682 of 5693 Old 03-31-2015, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm all about better performance in the menus but I'm not spending an hour + setting up anything. Whatever I buy has to be good to go out of the box.
post #5683 of 5693 Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I'm all about better performance in the menus but I'm not spending an hour + setting up anything. Whatever I buy has to be good to go out of the box.
No question there is a hobbyist component to all this. Anyway you cut it, with Kodi you are "building" a box and not buying an appliance. You have to be in the right frame of mind, which for me means it has to really be worth it and other considerations. So Kobi will have to offer me something significantly above what I have with the Live-SMP to break the energy barrier.

@wdfan
I've read many people say the Asus Chromebox is suitable for running Kodi and I'm sure it is. I've been looking for an excuse to play with a NUC and Kobi may be that excuse for me. If I get tired of Kodi or it turns out to require maintenance it will be a lot easier to re-purpose an i5 NUC -- I can build it out a little more, put Ubuntu or Win-7 on it and make another server, etc.

- kelson h

post #5684 of 5693 Old 03-31-2015, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
FAT32 only? No way.
It doesn't support NTFS? I didn't know that - guess it's strictly for app storage...

CC

post #5685 of 5693 Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
No question there is a hobbyist component to all this.
That's where I am very different from most of the people on this forum as I am out of my house from 6am to 7pm on "normal" Mon-Fri workdays but it can certainly extend beyond that. So I have absolutely zero time for "tinkering".

----

Here's the part that I don't get - we've been playing with the "media center" idea for about 20 years now. How is it that we haven't perfected it? Sluggish menus, crappy metadata lookup systems, at least it seems the format war has calmed down with matroska entering the fray.

But come on, the process of ripping a CD with super solid meta data was cracked and solid damn near from the beginning - I just can't understand how we're still where we're at. In order for me to rip the individual songs out of my Fleetwood Mac "The Dance" DVD, I had to use a freaking MS-DOS script to do it that I had to lookup on a forum. How CRAZY is that?
post #5686 of 5693 Old 03-31-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
@wdfan 90 does the M-115U support 3D BD ISO? Or is there a DLNA server that will even serve up a 3D BD ISO or BDMV for that matter?
Kodi will play 3D SBS or OU just fine. It won't play 3D MVC, though. Just about any DLNA server will serve any 3D file. My Samsung TV will play some 3D MVC via DLNA...
post #5687 of 5693 Old 03-31-2015, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 35
^^^Thanks wdfan - I don't presently have a "real" dlna server. I do have a free oShare (very limited capability) that I have played with a bit and an old version TVersity which isn't really DLNA compliant, but seems to be the only thing that works with my DirecTV DVRs.Any recommendations for a full function DLNA server that will serve up DVD, BD, BD3D, (previous I have both ISO and folder structure mix) MKV, and a bunch of other AV formats (avi, mpg, m4v, mp4, etc. etc.)?
post #5688 of 5693 Old 04-01-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

No DLNA server will serve DVDs or ISOs that I know of. (Some "claim" to be serving ISOs, but all they're really doing is mounting the ISO locally and serving the contents, which doesn't make much sense or have any practical value.)

All of my NAS servers use Twonky DLNA.
post #5689 of 5693 Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. This question has probably been answered in the previous 190+ WDTV forum pages but here goes anyway... I find that when I rename files on my pc (mainly mp4s), the WDTV player won't pick these up and just shows the original name of the file. I have read multiple forums about downloading tagging software to make the edits but I can't seem to get anything to work. Any ideas?
post #5690 of 5693 Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinners007 View Post
Hi all. This question has probably been answered in the previous 190+ WDTV forum pages but here goes anyway... I find that when I rename files on my pc (mainly mp4s), the WDTV player won't pick these up and just shows the original name of the file. I have read multiple forums about downloading tagging software to make the edits but I can't seem to get anything to work. Any ideas?
Have you tried rescanning the share?

Be aware that if your MP4 has a title the SMP may be displaying that and not the filename - that might only be when using Media Lib - I can't remember for sure...

CC

post #5691 of 5693 Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
cc is right. After renaming files you need to clear the media library and allow it to rebuild the directory listings. Should work fine after that.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #5692 of 5693 Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DeadEd & cc_in_oh ... I have tried all the complicated fixes, yet the simplest one you both suggested was the right one. Clear the media library in windows and bang, all good. Thank heaps
post #5693 of 5693 Old Today, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
DeadEd & cc_in_oh ... I have tried all the complicated fixes, yet the simplest one you both suggested was the right one. Clear the media library in windows and bang, all good. Thank heaps
The SMP does have a bit of a learning curve. IMO new users can avoid some frustration by leaving the media lib feature off until comfortable with the basics of network, share and folder management. ML is an extra layer of complexity that can make it harder to get the initial setup working smoothly...

CC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page