*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 191 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes
post #5701 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
I used AnyDVD HD with imgburn to make the backup (ISO) of the blu-ray. Did the same for the DVD (SD) version of the same movie.
While BD ISOs "should" work, they're often problematic. Depending on how the BD is authored, the WD may be struggling to find the file(s) it should play. Some BD's have the entire movie in a single TS file, others have it in dozens if not hundreds of TS files that are strung together with the appropriate MPLS file. Crafty authors often obfuscate the MPLS files to make "ripping" troublesome -- I ran into this with the Downton Abbey BD's -- they had hundreds of playlist files (all of identical duration) containing dozens of TS files in various random order. The only way I could play them successfully was to look at EVERY MPLS file to find the one that had the TS sequence that was correct.

Long story short: Don't use BD ISOs. Once you've ripped the BD to disk, use MKVMerge, select the appropriate playlist, then mux the playlist into an MKV file. The resulting audio and video will be identical to the source (no re-coding...) and will play perfectly every time.

With the WD player, there's absolutely no advantage to keeping the BD ISO whole. Unlike with DVDs, the WD doesn't support any type of BD menus, so all the other garbage in the ISO file is wasted space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
Long story short: Don't use BD ISOs. Once you've ripped the BD to disk, use MKVMerge, select the appropriate playlist, then mux the playlist into an MKV file. The resulting audio and video will be identical to the source (no re-coding...) and will play perfectly every time.

With the WD player, there's absolutely no advantage to keeping the BD ISO whole. Unlike with DVDs, the WD doesn't support any type of BD menus, so all the other garbage in the ISO file is wasted space.
WDFan1970,

Thanks for the advise on going down the MKV file route.

Is there a tutorial that will allow me to take my BD ISO and convert them to MKV? Would like a step by step guide.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #5703 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I used AnyDVD HD with imgburn to make the backup (ISO) of the blu-ray. Did the same for the DVD (SD) version of the same movie.
I rip to ISO directly from AnyDVD-HD. Why are you using imgburn? If I decide to keep the movie, I then use BDRebuilder to compress to BD5, BD9 or BD25 for long-term storage. BDRebuilder also gives you a single M2TS file.

By ripping to ISO first, I can play the movie only with WD Live SMP (if I choose), or transfer to USB drive hooked-up to my OPPO BDP-93 (with ISO playback firmware). The OPPO supports full Blu-ray menus whereas the WD Live SMP does not. I only keep some ISO's for good movies that I want to archive or burn to disc for future playback capabilities.
post #5704 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Recently bought a blu-ray disc and made an ISO backup of it. Tried to play it on the WDTV Live SMP - doesn't like it. There is no picture or sound. Tried to adjust some settings and wont play nice.
Quote:
I'm not surprised you are having a problem if you are trying to feed the Live-SMP the full disk rip as an .iso. The Live-SMP doesn't do menus and doesn't know how to navigate through all the playlists in a full BD rip -- it really has no idea what to play. You get no picture and sound because it probably picked an odd playlist to play which has nothing and is not meant to be played.

If you extract the main title to a BD.iso, the Live-SMP will read the playlist and play that single title properly. Given that, there is no good reason to use BD.iso vs. M2TS or MKV.

In contrast, the Live-SMP supports full DVD menus so you can rip a DVD to DVD.iso and the Live-SMP will play it the same as if you inserted the disk into a player. I rip all my TV show DVD's as DVD.iso.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5705 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyrott View Post
I rip to ISO directly from AnyDVD-HD. Why are you using imgburn? If I decide to keep the movie, I then use BDRebuilder to compress to BD5, BD9 or BD25 for long-term storage. BDRebuilder also gives you a single M2TS file.

By ripping to ISO first, I can play the movie only with WD Live SMP (if I choose), or transfer to USB drive hooked-up to my OPPO BDP-93 (with ISO playback firmware). The OPPO supports full Blu-ray menus whereas the WD Live SMP does not. I only keep some ISO's for good movies that I want to archive or burn to disc for future playback capabilities.
Hi Rileyrott,

AnyDVD-HD is a decryption utility and doesn't make BD ISO. It can read the BD disc and remove copy protection. I don't see any feature on AnyDVD-HD that allows for making an ISO rip. Thus use another software to make a backup. I used imgburn to do the ISO.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #5706 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Hi Rileyrott,

AnyDVD-HD is a decryption utility and doesn't make BD ISO. It can read the BD disc and remove copy protection. I don't see any feature on AnyDVD-HD that allows for making an ISO rip. Thus use another software to make a backup. I used imgburn to do the ISO.
AnyDVD HD can CERTAINLY make ISOs. Right click on the "fox" icon in the taskbar and choose "Rip to Image".

I ripped all 400 of my blu-rays this way. No point (IMHO) of using a separate package on top of AnyDVD to do the ripping.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #5707 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm not surprised you are having a problem if you are trying to feed the Live-SMP the full disk rip as an .iso. The Live-SMP doesn't do menus and doesn't know how to navigate through all the playlists in a full BD rip -- it really has no idea what to play. You get no picture and sound because it probably picked an odd playlist to play which has nothing and is not meant to be played.

If you extract the main title to a BD.iso, the Live-SMP will read the playlist and play that single title properly. Given that, there is no good reason to use BD.iso vs. M2TS or MKV.

In contrast, the Live-SMP supports full DVD menus so you can rip a DVD to DVD.iso and the Live-SMP will play it the same as if you inserted the disk into a player. I rip all my TV show DVD's as DVD.iso.
Hi Kelson,

I was looking for a simple tool that would enable me to make a full backup of the BD and play it on the WDTV Live SMP. This is a lot more complicated than I originally thought.

I'm now looking at DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper (3D Plus) as the right tool to implement. Is this what most people use to get it working with WDTV Live SMP? I.e. make the M2TS file out of the BD?

post #5708 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
AnyDVD HD can CERTAINLY make ISOs. Right click on the "fox" icon in the taskbar and choose "Rip to Image".

I ripped all 400 of my blu-rays this way. No point (IMHO) of using a separate package on top of AnyDVD to do the ripping.
^^^What he said^^^
post #5709 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hi Kelson,

I was looking for a simple tool that would enable me to make a full backup of the BD and play it on the WDTV Live SMP. This is a lot more complicated than I originally thought.

I'm now looking at DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper (3D Plus) as the right tool to implement. Is this what most people use to get it working with WDTV Live SMP? I.e. make the M2TS file out of the BD?
If you are running AnyDVD HD in the background, Clown_BD is an excellent and simple tool for extracting the main title and processing flagged forced subs to make an M2TS file -- that is what I use for all my BD rips.
If you prefer MKV, then MakeMKV is probably the most popular tool.

Ripping a BD to extract the main title can be very simple for "plain vanilla" BD's, but often it is not. That is why this thread is so long and continues.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; Yesterday at 10:18 AM.
post #5710 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
dvdfab will not bypass AACS encryption. You will need Anydvd running in the background. Assuming you do this, yes, you can use dvdfab to make a main-movie ISO, MKV, M2ts file, whatever. The wdtv will read this just fine.
post #5711 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I don't know then - that should have worked. Can you try your .iso in another player (PowerDVD, WMP, etc.)? Can you mount your .iso and run MediaInfo on the mounted drive?
post #5712 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WDFan1970,

Thanks for the advise on going down the MKV file route.

Is there a tutorial that will allow me to take my BD ISO and convert them to MKV? Would like a step by step guide.
Here's what I do.

Rip the BD to "folders" on my local HD.
Run MKVMerge GUI.
Open a PLAYLIST file -- it'll scan ALL of them and show you summaries of all available playlists.
Pick the "correct" playlist. Sometimes you'll need to examine the details of the playlist (MKVMerge will show you the contents) to see which one is right, but generally it's the one that matches the duration of the movie.
Select the Audio / Subtitle tracks I want to keep.
Export to MKV.

Done.
post #5713 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 56
have we really not mentioned MakeMKV in all of this? 1 step and done...couldn't be easier.
post #5714 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

And me:
Run dvdfab.
Export main movie ISO
Done.

If I didn't have the full functioning version of fab, I would pony up for Anydvd and run that in the background.

For playlist obfuscation, that requires a different process. 100% accurate. But it involves using powerdvd.
post #5715 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
have we really not mentioned MakeMKV in all of this? 1 step and done...couldn't be easier.
+1. This is what I would do. Scratch that post above. My requirements have changes a little with the introduction of the Dune player in my arsenal.
post #5716 of 5729 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Regarding the .iso playback for both DVD and BD: I'm curious how you guys launch playback?

I don't use either method often, but it seems I remember that when I network to the parent folder, I would just use the Play button to get the full menu options and selections vs. going to the actual file and using the Select button.
post #5717 of 5729 Unread Yesterday, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

+1 to this...
post #5718 of 5729 Unread Yesterday, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

I have my isos in their own folder. Just click play on the root folder for the movie. Or drill down to the iso file and click play. Or select. This is on the wdtv live smp.
post #5719 of 5729 Unread Yesterday, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here's what I do.

Rip the BD to "folders" on my local HD.
Run MKVMerge GUI.
Open a PLAYLIST file -- it'll scan ALL of them and show you summaries of all available playlists.
Pick the "correct" playlist. Sometimes you'll need to examine the details of the playlist (MKVMerge will show you the contents) to see which one is right, but generally it's the one that matches the duration of the movie.
Select the Audio / Subtitle tracks I want to keep.
Export to MKV.

Done.
Hi WDFan1970,

Thanks for the laying out the procedure in a clear manner. From the BD ISO file, might try MKVMerge to create a single MKV file with the "correct playlist" and see if it works with WDTV Live SMP. Have you discovered any issues with certain discs that are authored with seamless branching? An example is Expendables 3. I've read up on the BDP-93 thread that this causes audio drop outs on Dolby TrueHD. The work around is convert from Dolby TrueHD to LPCM. The problem with this method is that the meta data that's contained in Dolby TrueHD for Atmos is lost and thus no object audio is possible.

Wanted to ask if the HD audio in either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA are preserved in the single MKV file as well as the lossy codec. Will find out soon enough.

Edit: Also wanted to ask about 3D movies. Normally there is a 2D and 3D version of the movie on the same BD. How does one go about selecting a playlist to that preserves both 2D and 3D in a single MKV file?

Last edited by steveting99; Yesterday at 07:22 PM. Reason: additional text on 3D
post #5720 of 5729 Unread Yesterday, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyrott View Post
^^^What he said^^^
Didn't know about the right click trick on the fox icon on AnyDVD HD. Thanks for the tip.

Will try it out and compare it to imgburn.

post #5721 of 5729 Unread Yesterday, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
dvdfab will not bypass AACS encryption. You will need Anydvd running in the background.
What makes you say that? Of course it does, at least the European version.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5722 of 5729 Unread Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you discovered any issues with certain discs that are authored with seamless branching?
Nope -- none at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
What makes you say that? Of course it does, at least the European version.
The US version no longer does. Peeves me off, too, as I bought a lifetime sub before they changed their mind. One has to do all sorts of backflips now do download the Non-US version of the software.

Quote:
I tried for months and months to get MakeMKV to work. It simply doesn't work for me. It always nags that the license is expired, even though I've installed the latest beta.
post #5723 of 5729 Unread Today, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
One has to do all sorts of backflips now do download the Non-US version of the software.
More like a simple click:
http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9198.exe

@steveting99
You will find a lot more comprehensive information on ripping BD's in the dedicated thread:
Ripping Blu-Rays II

- kelson h

post #5724 of 5729 Unread Today, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

If you purchased the lifetime of fab before the lawsuit (like I did) then you are grandfathered in. Now, if anyone goes to fabs site and downloads the program it will have a "US" logo on the icon. Any disc you open will prompt the message "Cannot open due to AACS encryption." Some folks talk about tunneling to Canada or European versions. I don't know about any of that.

IME, ripping a main movie with playlist obfusc (Red 2) is that the wdtv will not know what correct playlist to choose (due to it not being able to read JAVA(?)). Playback will be all out of sequence. I have also experienced a slight pause/jutter every time the movie switched to the next m2ts file, and with play obfus titles, there are many. Of course this is related to streaming movies over the network and not affected by playing titles from a usb device. And again, it could be network-related. Although it does not do this on my Dune. YMMV.
post #5725 of 5729 Unread Today, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When I open up fab it always checks automatically for a new version and I let it download it. I have never had a prob.
post #5726 of 5729 Unread Today, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I tried for months and months to get MakeMKV to work. It simply doesn't work for me. It always nags that the license is expired, even though I've installed the latest beta.
that's a damn shame because that program is among the simplest, best functioning apps I've ever used.

It's literally 2 clicks from disc insertion to finished MKV.
post #5727 of 5729 Unread Today, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Installing the latest version of MakeMKV is not sufficient. Once you have put in a beta key it holds onto that key in the registry until you replace it with the most current key on a pretty much monthly basis. If the beta key has expired MakeMKV will give you error notifications no matter what version of MakeMKV you have installed -- until you replace the key.

This evergreen link to the MakeMKV forum provides the latest key that can be copied/pasted into MakeMKV. The current key is good until the end of May:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
fatherom likes this.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; Today at 11:23 AM.
post #5728 of 5729 Unread Today, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
When I open up fab it always checks automatically for a new version and I let it download it. I have never had a prob.
As you stated, you were grandfathered in before the legal action. That link is for people who come afterwards or want to make a clean install on a new PC. It is a direct IP link to a DVD Fab controlled server that contains the non-crippled downloads. All one has to do is change the version number in the link to the most current version number to get the latest download: i.e. the most current version of DVD Fab is v9198.

- kelson h

post #5729 of 5729 Unread Today, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As you stated, you were grandfathered in before the legal action. That link is for people who come afterwards or want to make a clean install on a new PC. It is a direct IP link to a DVD Fab controlled server that contains the non-crippled downloads. All one has to do is change the version number in the link to the most current version number to get the latest download: i.e. the most current version of DVD Fab is v9198.

I see. I can't help but think that some people might construe your statement to think that they can download a full "uncrippled" version of fab. My understanding is that once it asks for your email and you log in, if you are not on their account as being grandfathered in, the version you just downloaded with then become crippled. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player