*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 193 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #5761 of 5765 Old 05-01-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
It's not clear if you did what was suggested far above -- Stop using the RIPPING module. That transcodes the files to one degree or another.

Stop trying to COPY/play ISOs or BDMV folders.

Just find the M2TS file that you want from the copy, copy ONLY THAT over, and play it.

If it doesn't play, your WDTV is hosed for some reason.

I have dozens and dozens of BDs and not a one of them has given me playback problems of any sort whatsoever.
Hi WDFan1970,

Not sure if you're familiar with DVDFab. I've got the latest version (9.1.9.9 dated 28/4/2015) and followed the steps outlined in the youtube video by johnBlanker.

Within DVDFab there are a number of main tabs. These are Copy/Ripper/Converter/Creator.

Under the copy tab:
(1) the copy mode is selected as Main Movie.
(2) Under save to, it is ISO.
(3) When I dropped the source disc, it asks to select a region. I choose region A.
(4) Under output it is at BD50. It says compression ratio is 100% with same file size as source. I.e. 24.092GB ---> 24.092GB.
(5) It then gives a main playlist that says 800 that has a length of 2 hours, 11 minutes and 21 seconds. It also has other playlists of various shorter time periods. No other playlist is selected other than 800.
(6) A check of the audio shows the default to be DTS-HD MA 5.1, so didn't change anything.
(7) Another check of the subtitle shows English as the default.
(8) When making the iso file, the entire process time was quick indicating there was no transcode.
(9) With the same settings as above, I also made a BDMV folder.

To make a M2TS file, I have to go into the ripper tab and select the M2TS profile.
(a) Under output, I choose M2TS.Default. Video Codec says COPY. Audio Codec says COPY. Resolution says 1920x1080.
(b) Checking the advance settings, copy video is ticked. Codec is 'same as source'. Encoding method is 'same as source'. Frame rate is 'same as source'.
(c) Staying in the advance settings, copy audio is ticked. Codec is 'same as source'. Channels is 'same as source'. Sample rate is 'same as source'. Bit rate is 'same as source'.
(d) Still in the advanced settings, the subtitle is remux into file.
(e) It then gives a main playlist that says 800 that has a length of 2 hours, 11 minutes and 21 seconds. It also has other playlists of various shorter time periods. No other playlist is selected other than 800.
(f) A check of the audio shows the default to be DTS-HD MA 5.1, so didn't change anything. (g) Another check of the subtitle shows English as the default.
(h) When making the M2TS file, the entire process time was quick indicating there was no transcode.
(i) With the same settings as above, I also made a MKV file using the MKV profile.

So now I have 5 files.
A full backup ISO file of the original blu-ray disc.
A main movie ISO file via the playlist 800.
A main movie BDMV folder via playlist 800.
A main movie M2TS file via playlist 800.
A main movie MKV file via playlist 800.

I then played each of these files on the PC using the software MPC-HCx64 video player. They all played on the PC.

I then placed each of these files on the 64GB Scandisk USB thumb drive and tried to play on the Oppo BDP-93 as well as the WDTV Live SMP. The results are that the Oppo BDP-93 played every file expect the MKV. WDTV Live SMP failed to play a single file.

Let me know if what I'm doing is wrong.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)

Last edited by steveting99; 05-01-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 5765 Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 46
@steveting99 , I don't know what's not working. All I can say is I just finished ripping four new BDs yesterday and this morning (Alex Cross, Friday Night Lights, The Lincoln Lawyer and One for the Money [Wal-Mart Multi-packs, $10 for all four]) and all four play perfectly...

The only suggestion I'd have at this point is for you to try playing them via the network instead of USB, or use another USB device. Maybe there's something funky about your Sandisk the WDTV isn't happy with.
post #5763 of 5765 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 59
is there anyway to prove the authenticity of his WDTV? I'm concerned it's a knockoff or different version of hardware.
post #5764 of 5765 Old Today, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 59
had yet another just awful experience with my WDTV last night - the common denominator? Captain America - The Winter Soldier. Audio went to static 30 minutes in, rebooted the receiver, then the movie froze every 30 minutes the rest of the way, had to reboot each time.

Not sure what it is about that movie or that rip but my WDTV does NOT like it.
post #5765 of 5765 Unread Today, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
is there anyway to prove the authenticity of his WDTV? I'm concerned it's a knockoff or different version of hardware.
Do you know if anyone making WDTV Live SMP "knockoffs"? Is the "knockoff" question relevant considering the low price of the units?

Not sure why anyone would gain in purchasing a "knockoff" as it would not be possible to update the firmware from WD. FYI, the unit was able to update the firmware a number of times.

Maybe the correct question to ask is the model number and current firmware?

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page