*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 193 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #5761 of 5784 Old 05-01-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
It's not clear if you did what was suggested far above -- Stop using the RIPPING module. That transcodes the files to one degree or another.

Stop trying to COPY/play ISOs or BDMV folders.

Just find the M2TS file that you want from the copy, copy ONLY THAT over, and play it.

If it doesn't play, your WDTV is hosed for some reason.

I have dozens and dozens of BDs and not a one of them has given me playback problems of any sort whatsoever.
Hi WDFan1970,

Not sure if you're familiar with DVDFab. I've got the latest version (9.1.9.9 dated 28/4/2015) and followed the steps outlined in the youtube video by johnBlanker.

Within DVDFab there are a number of main tabs. These are Copy/Ripper/Converter/Creator.

Under the copy tab:
(1) the copy mode is selected as Main Movie.
(2) Under save to, it is ISO.
(3) When I dropped the source disc, it asks to select a region. I choose region A.
(4) Under output it is at BD50. It says compression ratio is 100% with same file size as source. I.e. 24.092GB ---> 24.092GB.
(5) It then gives a main playlist that says 800 that has a length of 2 hours, 11 minutes and 21 seconds. It also has other playlists of various shorter time periods. No other playlist is selected other than 800.
(6) A check of the audio shows the default to be DTS-HD MA 5.1, so didn't change anything.
(7) Another check of the subtitle shows English as the default.
(8) When making the iso file, the entire process time was quick indicating there was no transcode.
(9) With the same settings as above, I also made a BDMV folder.

To make a M2TS file, I have to go into the ripper tab and select the M2TS profile.
(a) Under output, I choose M2TS.Default. Video Codec says COPY. Audio Codec says COPY. Resolution says 1920x1080.
(b) Checking the advance settings, copy video is ticked. Codec is 'same as source'. Encoding method is 'same as source'. Frame rate is 'same as source'.
(c) Staying in the advance settings, copy audio is ticked. Codec is 'same as source'. Channels is 'same as source'. Sample rate is 'same as source'. Bit rate is 'same as source'.
(d) Still in the advanced settings, the subtitle is remux into file.
(e) It then gives a main playlist that says 800 that has a length of 2 hours, 11 minutes and 21 seconds. It also has other playlists of various shorter time periods. No other playlist is selected other than 800.
(f) A check of the audio shows the default to be DTS-HD MA 5.1, so didn't change anything. (g) Another check of the subtitle shows English as the default.
(h) When making the M2TS file, the entire process time was quick indicating there was no transcode.
(i) With the same settings as above, I also made a MKV file using the MKV profile.

So now I have 5 files.
A full backup ISO file of the original blu-ray disc.
A main movie ISO file via the playlist 800.
A main movie BDMV folder via playlist 800.
A main movie M2TS file via playlist 800.
A main movie MKV file via playlist 800.

I then played each of these files on the PC using the software MPC-HCx64 video player. They all played on the PC.

I then placed each of these files on the 64GB Scandisk USB thumb drive and tried to play on the Oppo BDP-93 as well as the WDTV Live SMP. The results are that the Oppo BDP-93 played every file expect the MKV. WDTV Live SMP failed to play a single file.

Let me know if what I'm doing is wrong.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order), HiMedia Q16 (on order).

Last edited by steveting99; 05-01-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 5784 Old 05-02-2015, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 47
@steveting99 , I don't know what's not working. All I can say is I just finished ripping four new BDs yesterday and this morning (Alex Cross, Friday Night Lights, The Lincoln Lawyer and One for the Money [Wal-Mart Multi-packs, $10 for all four]) and all four play perfectly...

The only suggestion I'd have at this point is for you to try playing them via the network instead of USB, or use another USB device. Maybe there's something funky about your Sandisk the WDTV isn't happy with.
post #5763 of 5784 Old 05-02-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 63
is there anyway to prove the authenticity of his WDTV? I'm concerned it's a knockoff or different version of hardware.
post #5764 of 5784 Old 05-03-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

had yet another just awful experience with my WDTV last night - the common denominator? Captain America - The Winter Soldier. Audio went to static 30 minutes in, rebooted the receiver, then the movie froze every 30 minutes the rest of the way, had to reboot each time.

Not sure what it is about that movie or that rip but my WDTV does NOT like it.
post #5765 of 5784 Old 05-03-2015, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
is there anyway to prove the authenticity of his WDTV? I'm concerned it's a knockoff or different version of hardware.
Do you know if anyone making WDTV Live SMP "knockoffs"? Is the "knockoff" question relevant considering the low price of the units?

Not sure why anyone would gain in purchasing a "knockoff" as it would not be possible to update the firmware from WD. FYI, the unit was able to update the firmware a number of times.

Maybe the correct question to ask is the model number and current firmware?

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order), HiMedia Q16 (on order).
post #5766 of 5784 Old 05-04-2015, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Do you know if anyone making WDTV Live SMP "knockoffs"? Is the "knockoff" question relevant considering the low price of the units?

Not sure why anyone would gain in purchasing a "knockoff" as it would not be possible to update the firmware from WD. FYI, the unit was able to update the firmware a number of times.

Maybe the correct question to ask is the model number and current firmware?
Just trying to come up with plausible explanations
post #5767 of 5784 Old 05-04-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Any reason to still avoid the latest firmware?
post #5768 of 5784 Old 05-04-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Any reason to still avoid the latest firmware?
Only upgrade if you don't need reliable MP4 / M4V playback...
post #5769 of 5784 Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Only upgrade if you don't need reliable MP4 / M4V playback...
I ask because I tried to watch a YouTube clip the other day and the sound kept cutting out and was wondering if a firmware update would remedy the situation...but remembered that the last time I knew an update came out it borked some things.
post #5770 of 5784 Old 05-04-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 85
For anyone that has the WD TV model (current) and the Android app:

1 - If you play video files from a share or DLNA server can you see the file names on on the Android device (tablet, phone, etc.)?

2 - Same for music files? Will music play list show in the Android app?

3 - When playing FLAC files to your audio device via HDMI will the WD TV cause your audio device to mute between selections?

4 - For those with Pandora, can you see the Pandora stations, what’s playing, etc. on the Android app?
post #5771 of 5784 Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
For anyone that has the WD TV model (current) and the Android app:
The only App I know of for the WD TV is the remote control app.

If that's the app you're talking about then the answers to 1, 2 and 4 are NO.

3 is unrelated, but the answer is still "No." The WD won't MUTE any downstream device.
Now if you're actually asking if the WD TV supports Gapless Playback, the answer is still No.
post #5772 of 5784 Old 05-05-2015, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
@steveting99 , ...

The only suggestion I'd have at this point is for you to try playing them via the network instead of USB, or use another USB device. Maybe there's something funky about your Sandisk the WDTV isn't happy with.
I agree, something is definitely not right. The WDTV should have no problems playing MKV and M2TS Blu Ray rips (assuming they are decrypted of course). I have ripped over a hundred and they all play. Either your WDTV is faulty, or it doesn't like your USB stick. If you don't have another brand you could try the network. You will of course need a fast network to stream bit-for-bit Blu Ray rips.
post #5773 of 5784 Old 05-05-2015, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
@steveting99 , I don't know what's not working. All I can say is I just finished ripping four new BDs yesterday and this morning (Alex Cross, Friday Night Lights, The Lincoln Lawyer and One for the Money [Wal-Mart Multi-packs, $10 for all four]) and all four play perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrt View Post
I agree, something is definitely not right. The WDTV should have no problems playing MKV and M2TS Blu Ray rips (assuming they are decrypted of course). I have ripped over a hundred and they all play. Either your WDTV is faulty, or it doesn't like your USB stick. If you don't have another brand you could try the network. You will of course need a fast network to stream bit-for-bit Blu Ray rips.
Looks like I'm hosed with the WDTV Live SMP.

Tried the main movie ISO file, BDMV folder, M2T2 and MKV files via the NAS. The WDTV Live SMP can see the files via network share. None of the files can play. The network is direct wired connection between the WDTV Live SMP, router and NAS.

Then tried the DVD (SD) version of the movie in ISO and it played okay.

So for some reason the WDTV Live SMP I've got doesn't do blu-ray backup/rips. Maybe WD sells a different version in this part of the world compared to what you guys have in the states. I'm through wasting time and trying to shoe horn something to make the WDTV Live SMP to work. Will be looking at alternatives.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

post #5774 of 5784 Old 05-05-2015, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
3 is unrelated, but the answer is still "No." The WD won't MUTE any downstream device.
Now if you're actually asking if the WD TV supports Gapless Playback, the answer is still No.
Thanks for your answers.

I have a Onkyo PR-SC5508P audio processor, it is a DLNA client device and can play FLAC files from my audio server (Synology NAS). The 5508 mutes between each track which causes the internal relays to click (very annoying). Same thing happens when using a Netgear NeoTV (via HDMI). My Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray player (via HDMI) does not cause the 5508 to mute between tracks.
post #5775 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
WD is selling another batch of $60 recertified SMPs - not sure if they're the non-Netflix version...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5776 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
WD is selling another batch of $60 recertified SMPs - not sure if they're the non-Netflix version...
Yes, those are the non-Netflix versions. Great price regardless.

WDTV Live SMP with 11TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #5777 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Gotta be careful with the name. If they're non-NetFlix, they're not SMP's. They're just "WD TV"'s.
post #5778 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Gotta be careful with the name. If they're non-NetFlix, they're not SMP's. They're just "WD TV"'s.
No more "PE"? I thought since the FW upgrade they were identical except for Netflix app?

CC

post #5779 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
No more "PE"? I thought since the FW upgrade they were identical except for Netflix app?
That's correct they are the same except for Netflix.
The current one is called the WDTV Media Player.

They haven't released a firmware update since 12/14 and only 2 have been issued since the device was released. Their support for the Live-SMP was much better. I'm wondering if they have lost interest in the media streamer market and this product is headed for the grave.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5780 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

They haven't released a firmware update since 12/14 and only 2 have been issued since the device was released. Their support for the Live-SMP was much better. I'm wondering if they have lost interest in the media streamer market and this product is headed for the grave.
Wasn't DTS-HD MA decoding dropped in the later model(s) as well? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
post #5781 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Treating them as separate products makes no sense to me. The SMP on current FW is far more similar to the "Media Player" than it is to the SMP itself on previous FW...

CC

post #5782 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Wasn't DTS-HD MA decoding dropped in the later model(s) as well? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
No DTS-MA pass-through is alive. When they added that, nothing else in this price range could touch the WD Live. For that reason it would be a shame for this one to fade away.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5783 of 5784 Unread Yesterday, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Treating them as separate products makes no sense to me. The SMP on current FW is far more similar to the "Media Player" than it is to the SMP itself on previous FW...
I would love to have been a fly on WD's wall, but I think the issue with Netflix was the elephant in their room. I would rather they do what they did and re-release the Live-SMP as the WDTV Media Player without Netflix instead of issuing a firmware update to the Live-SMP that stripped out Netflix. They certainly could have gone that route -- the 12/14 update to the WDTV-MP stripped out Cinema Now functionality.

I'm glad they chose to go the route they did.

- kelson h

post #5784 of 5784 Unread Today, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my WD Live Media Player for about a year no problems. Now in the last month it will not show new pictures on my movies. Only the ones I've had on for the last year. I've tried unplugging and clearing the library. It will show pictures for all of my movies except the ones from the last month or so. I looked in the actual folder and my computer and it show they have all the files they need(folder, meta blah, blah, blah) any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page