*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 194 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #5791 of 5801 Old 05-25-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I only keep few dozen around at a time. I burn them off to DVDs for storage. ML would not be an option if I kept my collection on the drives.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5801 Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
I only keep few dozen around at a time. I burn them off to DVDs for storage. ML would not be an option if I kept my collection on the drives.
I don't see the two being related - whether your archive is DVD or HDD, you can limit media lib to a small subset. And if your HDDs are on-line it's easy to switch to folder view to access them if you need to...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5793 of 5801 Old 05-30-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 636
I love my WDTV SMP and currently have a 3.0 usb hub with 4 HDD's hanging off of it to watch movies on one tv. What I was wondering, and if anyone has tried this, is this: I want to be able to access my movies on another TV down the hall. My computer is in the room right next to the extra TV. I'd like to put the HDD's in the room with the computer and then run Cat6 from the existing WDTV to the router (sitting next to the computer) and then get another WDTV and run Cat6 from that one (sitting next to the extra TV) to the router as well. Now, I can attach the HDD's to the computer, but what I'd like to do, if possible, is to attach the hub to the router's USB port. There will be no need for transcoding, so will this work? Is there a downside, or things I can or can't do in this config? I was planning on playing around with this anyway, but not for a few weeks, and now I'm really curious. Thanks!

WDTV Live SMP with 11TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #5794 of 5801 Old 05-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
I love my WDTV SMP and currently have a 3.0 usb hub with 4 HDD's hanging off of it to watch movies on one tv. What I was wondering, and if anyone has tried this, is this: I want to be able to access my movies on another TV down the hall. My computer is in the room right next to the extra TV. I'd like to put the HDD's in the room with the computer and then run Cat6 from the existing WDTV to the router (sitting next to the computer) and then get another WDTV and run Cat6 from that one (sitting next to the extra TV) to the router as well. Now, I can attach the HDD's to the computer, but what I'd like to do, if possible, is to attach the hub to the router's USB port. There will be no need for transcoding, so will this work? Is there a downside, or things I can or can't do in this config? I was planning on playing around with this anyway, but not for a few weeks, and now I'm really curious. Thanks!
Some routers might work with a hub - you'll just have to try it and see.

I have a 4TB drive on my Netgear router's USB3 port and the performance is surprisingly good. But, I've had some corruption, forcing me to connect the drive to a PC to scan and fix. I've come to suspect that the router does not behave as well as a PC when it comes to flushing buffers and shutting down the drive. (or as well as ethernet drives, which I assume have more robust FW for managing themselves and their USB slave drives properly)

Please let us know how it work for you (and with what router model)...

CC

post #5795 of 5801 Old 05-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 99
mr266,
You should be able to do that but if I understand your setup correctly you won't be able to use the media library. BUT, if you leave the hub plugged into your first WDTV you should be able to access all the movies from the second WDTV and you can still use the media library.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #5796 of 5801 Old 05-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
mr266,
You should be able to do that but if I understand your setup correctly you won't be able to use the media library. BUT, if you leave the hub plugged into your first WDTV you should be able to access all the movies from the second WDTV and you can still use the media library.
Has anyone actually tried using a SMP to play locally while also serving a remote SMP? And sharing one USB2 port? Seems like that might be a stretch, especially with HD. I'm not even sure how well a router would do serving multiple streams from USB - with ethernet drives all it has to do is establish the connection, and maybe not even that if the drives and SMPs are connected to a separate switch...

CC

post #5797 of 5801 Old 05-30-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Has anyone actually tried using a SMP to play locally while also serving a remote SMP? And sharing one USB2 port? Seems like that might be a stretch, especially with HD. I'm not even sure how well a router would do serving multiple streams from USB - with ethernet drives all it has to do is establish the connection, and maybe not even that if the drives and SMPs are connected to a separate switch...
Not positive, but awhile back someone here told me that the SMP really didn't do well when a second box was trying to access the HDD's on the first box. A bit jittery I think was what they said. The way the router interacts with the drives (if the drives are attached to the router IE: buffers and turning down of the drives was something I had not thought about, and now I'm started to reconsider and might just put the darn drives on the computer or maybe just by a small tower for the 2nd tv room).

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #5798 of 5801 Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not positive, but awhile back someone here told me that the SMP really didn't do well when a second box was trying to access the HDD's on the first box. A bit jittery I think was what they said. The way the router interacts with the drives (if the drives are attached to the router IE: buffers and turning down of the drives was something I had not thought about, and now I'm started to reconsider and might just put the darn drives on the computer or maybe just by a small tower for the 2nd tv room).
I don't see how a 2nd PC would buy you anything, unless you mean to connect directly to the TV instead of a 2nd SMP? With that setup you'd be working with keyboard and mouse instead of a remote so a wireless keyboard with touch pad might be handy...

CC

post #5799 of 5801 Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I don't see how a 2nd PC would buy you anything, unless you mean to connect directly to the TV instead of a 2nd SMP? With that setup you'd be working with keyboard and mouse instead of a remote so a wireless keyboard with touch pad might be handy...
The only thing it would buy me is to separate my entertainment from my personal processing.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #5800 of 5801 Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The only thing it would buy me is to separate my entertainment from my personal processing.
Personally I'd probably put the money into upgrading the current computer, or maybe check out those gadgets that adapt USB drives to Ethernet...

CC

post #5801 of 5801 Old Today, 05:01 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
I took an old cpu , threw some drives in there, installed HanesWIN NFS server, attached it to the router and it sole purpose is to feed 2WD SMPs and 1 MED600X3D. Everything is cat6 wired and have no issues streaming to all 3 players at the same time (HD Encodes with Lossless audio). I used to have a Netgear R6300 router, attaching a USB drive to it and streaming from it, wasn't much of a success for me.

HTC M9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page