*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #5821 of 5845 Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Since the WDTV can write to the attached disk when using the media library or when you delete files from the GUI e.g. there's always the chance something gets messed up. Seems to happen rarely though.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5845 Old 07-03-2015, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Since the WDTV can write to the attached disk when using the media library or when you delete files from the GUI e.g. there's always the chance something gets messed up. Seems to happen rarely though.
True, but how could it corrupt it in a way that it still works in a USB2 port but not a USB3 port?

I assume the OP would have run the repair tool on it (in Win7, properties>tools>error checking)

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5823 of 5845 Old 07-03-2015, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Incompatibilities between drive and ports (voltage)?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5824 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
curious what is the "best" version of this product? i hear alot of complaints about the newest model
post #5825 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KabuTheFox View Post
curious what is the "best" version of this product? i hear alot of complaints about the newest model
The SMP Live is the one you want. The newer one is stripped of Netflix & other functions, if I remember correctly.
post #5826 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by KabuTheFox View Post
The only difference between the current WDTV Media Player and the previous WDTV Live-SMP is the lack of Netflix and CinemaNow in the current player. The hardware is virtually identical and the firmware looks to be the same except for the streaming channel omissions. It appears that WD may exit the media player market with this model, which would be a shame.

Personally, from a product standpoint, I see no reason to buy the current version over the Live-SMP. While the Live-SMP is no longer supported with firmware updates, there have been only two minor firmware updates to the current Media Player, the last one being 7 months ago. However, 5 months ago you could buy the Live-SMP new for $80 while they were clearing them and the WDTV Media Player was selling for $100. Now, the Media Player is down to $82 on Amazon and the Live-SMP's available are re-furbs selling for as-much. So from a practical standpoint, I would buy the current model -- WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN.

If you are primarily interested in local media playback (DVD & BD rips), the WDTV players are the best in their price class -- nothing touches them. I have several of the Live-SMP's. They are great players and play full bitrate BluRay rips flawlessly with HD audio. If you are looking for something a lot more and willing to tinker, check out the thread for Kodi (XBMC) on Chromebox -- $160 range. If I were starting now with media players that is the way I would go.
KabuTheFox likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5827 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
The only difference between the current WDTV Media Player and the previous WDTV Live-SMP is the lack of Netflix and CinemaNow in the current player. The hardware is virtually identical and the firmware looks to be the same except for the streaming channel omissions. It appears that WD may exit the media player market with this model, which would be a shame.

Personally, from a product standpoint, I see no reason to buy the current version over the Live-SMP. While the Live-SMP is no longer supported with firmware updates, there have been only two minor firmware updates to the current Media Player, the last one being 7 months ago. However, 5 months ago you could buy the Live-SMP new for $80 while they were clearing them and the WDTV Media Player was selling for $100. Now, the Media Player is down to $82 on Amazon and the Live-SMP's available are re-furbs selling for as-much. So from a practical standpoint, I would buy the current model -- WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN.

If you are primarily interested in local media playback (DVD & BD rips), the WDTV players are the best in their price class -- nothing touches them. I have several of the Live-SMP's. They are great players and play full bitrate BluRay rips flawlessly with HD audio. If you are looking for something a lot more and willing to tinker, check out the thread for Kodi (XBMC) on Chromebox -- $160 range. If I were starting now with media players that is the way I would go.
Another consideration is the amount of personal tweaking and modification that the android based boxes might require. I've been fairly happy with my Live_SMP (I don't use netflix), the major issue I have is the lack of a volume control button. The android app just doesn't work, and is a pain to have to use for such a basic function.
post #5828 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagoro View Post
Another consideration is the amount of personal tweaking and modification that the android based boxes might require. I've been fairly happy with my Live_SMP (I don't use netflix), the major issue I have is the lack of a volume control button. The android app just doesn't work, and is a pain to have to use for such a basic function.
Kodi on Chromebox is Openelec (linux) not android and is fully functional. If you want everything that Kodi has to offer, it is the way to go and Kodi is still being actively developed.

I really like the Live-SMP also (have several in active use) and as I said, nothing touches it in the price range. Unfortunately, I think it is at the end of its road at WD with no future. The release of the current WDTV Media Player, with virtually no new HW/SW development over the Live-SMP other than the elimination of first Netflix then CinemaNow, was a bad omen. The Live-SMP used to get a firmware update every couple months and had 16 updates over its lifetime. It's looking like the Media Player has already been orphaned by WD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5829 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Kodi on Chromebox is Openelec (linux) not android and is fully functional. If you want everything that Kodi has to offer, it is the way to go and Kodi is still being actively developed.

I really like the Live-SMP also (have several in active use) and as I said, nothing touches it in the price range. Unfortunately, I think it is at the end of its road at WD with no future. The release of the current WDTV Media Player, with virtually no new HW/SW development over the Live-SMP other than the elimination of first Netflix then CinemaNow, was a bad omen. The Live-SMP used to get a firmware update every couple months and had 16 updates over its lifetime. It's looking like the Media Player has already been orphaned by WD.
Is there an unspoken reason WD and Asus dumped their media players? Could it be pressure from anti-piracy forces? I can't imagine these boxes have been unprofitable.
post #5830 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
True, but how could it corrupt it in a way that it still works in a USB2 port but not a USB3 port?

I assume the OP would have run the repair tool on it (in Win7, properties>tools>error checking)
Thanks for the suggestion. Apologies, as my initial post/question was worded clearly.

I've run error checking several times, and after that the drive will be recognized by my computer's USB-3 port the next attempt. But after that it fails to connect again.
post #5831 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Is there an unspoken reason WD and Asus dumped their media players? Could it be pressure from anti-piracy forces? I can't imagine these boxes have been unprofitable.
If it's unspoken, anything else is pure conjecture and opinion. My take is that there's no longer much value proposition to the manufacturer. Inexpensive systems like the Chromebox, etc run any number of software-based media players with excellent hardware acceleration & decoder support. Of course, as Kelson mentions, Kodi is pretty much ruling the roost as far as I'm concerned.
Kelson likes this.
post #5832 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Apologies, as my initial post/question was worded clearly.

I've run error checking several times, and after that the drive will be recognized by my computer's USB-3 port the next attempt. But after that it fails to connect again.
Very odd. If repairing on USB2 lets you open it once on a USB3, have you run the full repair scan there? Can you try it on another system's USB3? Is it a portable drive or powered? (probably not relevant, but I've had portable drive recognition issues on a powered USB3 hub)

CC

post #5833 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Very odd. If repairing on USB2 lets you open it once on a USB3, have you run the full repair scan there? Can you try it on another system's USB3? Is it a portable drive or powered? (probably not relevant, but I've had portable drive recognition issues on a powered USB3 hub)
It's a simple WD Passport, that's been solid otherwise. I'll have to try it out on my work computer, as well as running a full repair scan. Thanks!
post #5834 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

many thanks for the reply

my primary usage would be for bd/dvd rips, so the current WD live model sounds to be the best from my understanding
post #5835 of 5845 Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Hey guys, I have a problem I was hoping you could help me with. I have two WDTV Live SMPs, the main unit with a hub that has 4 WD My Book 4tb hdds. When I got my second SMP, I took one of the 4tb drives and attached it to make sure everything was working ok. After that, I attached the HDD to my desktop to see about networking to both WDTV's. Well, I must have changed some setting or permission, because now both WDTV's do not recognize the drive. No errors, just like it's not there. I can put the drive on any of my computers and see it and access all my movies etc. Any ideas what might be the problem. My computer is running Windows 7 if that matters at all. Thanks.

WDTV Live SMP with 15TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #5836 of 5845 Old 07-07-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Hey guys, I have a problem I was hoping you could help me with. I have two WDTV Live SMPs, the main unit with a hub that has 4 WD My Book 4tb hdds. When I got my second SMP, I took one of the 4tb drives and attached it to make sure everything was working ok. After that, I attached the HDD to my desktop to see about networking to both WDTV's. Well, I must have changed some setting or permission, because now both WDTV's do not recognize the drive. No errors, just like it's not there. I can put the drive on any of my computers and see it and access all my movies etc. Any ideas what might be the problem. My computer is running Windows 7 if that matters at all. Thanks.
Did you use the eject button on the Live-SMP to remove the HDD. Try pulling the power from the Live-SMP, give it 10 min to fully discharge, plug the offending HDD directly into one of the Live-SMP USB ports (no hub), then power up the Live-SMP.

- kelson h

post #5837 of 5845 Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you use the eject button on the Live-SMP to remove the HDD. Try pulling the power from the Live-SMP, give it 10 min to fully discharge, plug the offending HDD directly into one of the Live-SMP USB ports (no hub), then power up the Live-SMP.
Thanks Kelson. Already tried all that, still no good. It's got to be something with permissions, but I'll be darned if I can find anything obviously wrong. I hate to reformat and have to reload the damn drive, but that may be the only option. I'll give it a few days more though.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #5838 of 5845 Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

This is extremely basic, so I assume you've done it. Did you rename the second WDTV Box?

That initially fooled me when I added a USB drive to a second WDTV and couldn't see it on the network via my PC.
post #5839 of 5845 Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
This is extremely basic, so I assume you've done it. Did you rename the second WDTV Box?

That initially fooled me when I added a USB drive to a second WDTV and couldn't see it on the network via my PC.
Yeah, it's been renamed and the drives themselves are individually named as well.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #5840 of 5845 Old 07-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks Kelson. Already tried all that, still no good. It's got to be something with permissions, but I'll be darned if I can find anything obviously wrong. I hate to reformat and have to reload the damn drive, but that may be the only option. I'll give it a few days more though.
I'm no expert, but I don't think permissions affect local access, just network sharing. But you might want to try mounting the drive on a PC, sharing it, and seeing if the SMP can access it...

CC

post #5841 of 5845 Old 07-07-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, so I took another drive and attached it along with the drive in question to my computer to compare permissions. Made a few changes but still could not see the media once attached locally to the WDTV. On a whim, I attached it back to the computer (it kept coming up as drive K even when I attached the other drive first) so I went in to disk management and disconnected drive K and then assigned a different letter to it. For what ever reason, once I did that I was able to move the drive back over the the WDTV and then read the media locally. Whatever, I'm happy. Thanks everyone.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #5842 of 5845 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I've been playing around with my WDTV SMP's and my home network and was wondering if I could get some help.
First, the problem. Ripped blu rays stop and stutter whenever I have the content anywhere other than on the drive connected directly to the WDTV. Recently I put a HD full of movies and attached them to my computer and made them accessible to both of my WDTV's, one of which accessed them wireless, and the other one with both the computer and the WDTV connected via Cat6 to my Verizon Fios router. In both cases I could access the movies (all reg DVD's in both cases played great) but the BD's in both cases stopped and sputtered although it was less frequent in the wired configuration. So what's my problem...do I need a faster modem, an additional modem like a Netgear Nighthawk, or do I need additional software on the computer to do transcoding (all my movies are ripped 1:1 using makemkv). Also, if transcoding is needed, does that degrade the quality and by how much? Thanks guys.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #5843 of 5845 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, so I've been playing around with my WDTV SMP's and my home network and was wondering if I could get some help.
First, the problem. Ripped blu rays stop and stutter whenever I have the content anywhere other than on the drive connected directly to the WDTV. Recently I put a HD full of movies and attached them to my computer and made them accessible to both of my WDTV's, one of which accessed them wireless, and the other one with both the computer and the WDTV connected via Cat6 to my Verizon Fios router. In both cases I could access the movies (all reg DVD's in both cases played great) but the BD's in both cases stopped and sputtered although it was less frequent in the wired configuration. So what's my problem...do I need a faster modem, an additional modem like a Netgear Nighthawk, or do I need additional software on the computer to do transcoding (all my movies are ripped 1:1 using makemkv). Also, if transcoding is needed, does that degrade the quality and by how much? Thanks guys.
For the wireless SMP a pair of good powerline adapters would probably buy you a lot more than a faster router. (Though according to Netgear a whole-house surge suppression system can be problematic).

For the wired, try copying a file between the SMP USB drive and your computer and see if you're getting the necessary speed - needs to be what - 12-15MB/sec IIRC?

CC

post #5844 of 5845 Old Today, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
How are you sharing the files from your computer? Via a windows share, or "media server" (DLNA)? If the latter - something like plex - then your server might be transcoding the media, which if your PC is not powerful enough would cause problems.

The SMP should have no problem playing bluray rips, this is what I use mine for. But of course you need the bandwidth (only about 40-50Mbps so that's about 5-6 MB/s sustained data transfer)
post #5845 of 5845 Old Today, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Personally I have a decent Cisco Linksys router. I did many tests with placement of the router and with both my SMP and Oppo BlueRay player and although I came very close to smooth streaming I never was able to eliminate some stuttering in high action scenes and gave up. I am now wired.

If you must be wireless you may want to try the 5ghz band if your router supports it. It should be faster, at least that's theory. But since the SMP does not support this band you will need an access point that will next to your SMP and will connect to it. This will certainly set you off 50 to a 100 bucks. And thats if your router supports it. If not you'l also need a new router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page