*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #5851 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm not sure what Gen 3 was. There was the "Live", "Live plus", "Live-SMP", and finally "Live-SMP without Netflix".

Which do you have.
It would be the "Live-SMP" version. I still have "the-Flix" on mine...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Looks like the WDTV Live line is finally over.
RIP, they had a good run.
It was a great little box once they added DTS-MA pass-through.

I'll continue to use mine for 1:1 BD playback until they burn out.
Where did you get that info from?
post #5853 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post
Where did you get that info from?
That the boxes are dead?

Check the WD TV forums, there are several "reply" postings from Western Digital commenting on the discontinuation of support for the WD TV gen 3 (in fact, there is no longer a support link for it via their website) and I believe I saw the same type statement about the Gen 4 as well (but you can still download the latest firmware for the gen 4, just no more to come).

Sad, but true.

post #5854 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan35611 View Post
I have to wd live units for sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Don't we all...

post #5855 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny14o View Post
It would be the "Live-SMP" version. I still have "the-Flix" on mine...

Your problems, freezing, etc., suddenly and mysteriously started happening to a bunch of people's Gen3 units, even though there hasn't been an update since Aug./2014. The solutions seems to be to roll the firmware back to 2.01.86. I have two such and have rolled back one of them. It's now working fine for me, but seems not so for everyone. When rolling back, the 2.01.86 firmware will say 4.01.86. Ignore that, it'll be correct when update is done.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Liv.../905000/page/2
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase...r.aspx?ID=5860
DavidMP likes this.
post #5856 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Your problems, freezing, etc., suddenly and mysteriously started happening to a bunch of people's Gen3 units, even though there hasn't been an update since Aug./2014. The solutions seems to be to roll the firmware back to 2.01.86. I have two such and have rolled back one of them. It's now working fine for me, but seems not so for everyone. When rolling back, the 2.01.86 firmware will say 4.01.86. Ignore that, it'll be correct when update is done.

I have done the "rollback" method to 1 of my 5 units and gave it a try a few nights ago. The unit did not freeze or lock up... but it did jump back out of the movie to the movie selection screen and the audio just kept playing. Selected the movie again, the video picked back up where the audio was, however the dreaded "circle of death" never goes off the screen while the movie plays. I have to reboot the unit to make it go away.

I have been curious if any of this could stem back to the network the WD TV box is attached to. I currently have AT&T Uverse and their Gateway they provide... well... SUCKS. My movies are on a cluster of 5 NAS boxes that are hooked to a unmanaged switch (as well as the WD TV unit. I set my NAS boxes and the WD TV boxes to static IP addresses, but not sure how the AT&T gateway handles the "switch" that everything is connected to... I always wondered if the gateway times out on dynamic IP addresses, thus causing something to go sideways.

post #5857 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Could it be that the power wall wart is going flaky. I've had a WD external drive in which the wall wart suddenly started making a high-pitch whine. Soon afterwards the HDD started acting a little "funny". I replace the wall wart and everything went back to normal.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5858 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Could it be that the power wall wart is going flaky. I've had a WD external drive in which the wall wart suddenly started making a high-pitch whine. Soon afterwards the HDD started acting a little "funny". I replace the wall wart and everything went back to normal.
Uhhhh... by "wall wart" I assume you mean the power supply? If you do mean the power supply, then YES, I have swapped it. In fact, the unit I rolled back is a new unit I got on clearance at Staples. So both the unit and the power supply are new (2 months or so).

If NO, the "wall wart" is not the power supply, then I have no idea what you are taking about...

Wall Wart... I'm gonna have to write that one down...

post #5859 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
but it did jump back out of the movie to the movie selection screen and the audio just kept playing. Selected the movie again, the video picked back up where the audio was, however the dreaded "circle of death" never goes off the screen while the movie plays. I have to reboot the unit to make it go away.

I have been curious if any of this could stem back to the network the WD TV box is attached to. I currently have AT&T Uverse and their Gateway they provide.
I ran into same problems with freezing and what you report above. Thought it was my unit or network issue. But since so many are having the problem, it can't be specific to our networks. Going to try the rollback soon.
post #5860 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Uhhhh... by "wall wart" I assume you mean the power supply?
Yes.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5861 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Johnny14o, Streaming playback of my WDTV on the network didn't like a static IP address (and I think DHCP disabled, but not sure); I'd get frequent interruptions of the spinning arrow.
post #5862 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Uhhhh... by "wall wart" I assume you mean the power supply?

Wall Wart... I'm gonna have to write that one down...
Uhhhh...a quick google search shows that "wall wart" is a very common term.
christoofar likes this.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #5863 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Huh... well would you look at that. Learn something new every day... :-)

post #5864 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
I used this term with my wife and she begin to lecture me as if I just made up a random word. We argued for 2 minutes until she googled it and came to the same realization. Unfortunately, I have to admit that those of us you use the word can be considered nerds.

I have an old WD Live and although it is out of commission, I never had an issue with it. It was always a solid box connected to my network with a reserved IP Address. WMC took its place but it really was a no hassle box.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)
post #5865 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
I used this term with my wife and she begin to lecture me as if I just made up a random word. We argued for 2 minutes until she googled it and came to the same realization. Unfortunately, I have to admit that those of us you use the word can be considered nerds.

I have an old WD Live and although it is out of commission, I never had an issue with it. It was always a solid box connected to my network with a reserved IP Address. WMC took its place but it really was a no hassle box.
Nerd.... lol!

post #5866 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

So glad I am still subscribed to this thread! My WDTV Live streaming also started freezing up some time ago. How do I tell if mine is a gen 3 and if this firmware rollback is appropriate for it?

Thanks,
BJBBJB

PS. I consider "wall wart" as appropriate and common a word as "the"!
post #5867 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
So glad I am still subscribed to this thread! My WDTV Live streaming also started freezing up some time ago. How do I tell if mine is a gen 3 and if this firmware rollback is appropriate for it?

Thanks,
BJBBJB

PS. I consider "wall wart" as appropriate and common a word as "the"!
Gen 3 WDBHG70000NBK
Gen 4 WDBMBA0000NBK

P.S. Nice jab... Wall wart...

post #5868 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Two nights ago I had to replug my SMP 4 or 5 times and got a "low memory" message only a few minutes after one of the replugs. I did a full factory reset and now have had 2 nights of completely trouble-free operation - keeping fingers crossed that it's not just coincidence...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5869 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Two nights ago I had to replug my SMP 4 or 5 times and got a "low memory" message only a few minutes after one of the replugs. I did a full factory reset and now have had 2 nights of completely trouble-free operation - keeping fingers crossed that it's not just coincidence...
I have been getting the "low memory" as well.

Questions... did you only do a factory reset or did you roll the firmware back as well. Also, in the WD forums that sometimes the factory reset via the internal reset doesn't do a thorough wiping. There is a script that can be run to COMPLETELY wipe the unit... kinda like zeroing out a drive.

Also, before you reset the device, did you have the media library enabled?

post #5870 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have been getting the "low memory" as well.

Questions... did you only do a factory reset or did you roll the firmware back as well. Also, in the WD forums that sometimes the factory reset via the internal reset doesn't do a thorough wiping. There is a script that can be run to COMPLETELY wipe the unit... kinda like zeroing out a drive.

Also, before you reset the device, did you have the media library enabled?

No rollback, still latest FW - that's the next step if problems persist. And just the "all settings" option in the standard reset.

Media library was extremely convenient in my setup - multiple network shares that ML could aggregate into one unified menu tree - but I scrapped it at least 2 years ago when menu navigation bogged down to a snail's pace. Now I store all current content on one share volume and treat the others as "archives" - I can change content source on the SMP if I need to, but I avoid it as much as possible.

Turning ML off IMO should be the first step in troubleshooting any problem on the SMP...

Edit> Also FWIW I do a hard shutdown after use, so it reboots every time I use it. When I first started doing that it seemed to help, but lately not so much...

CC

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 10-14-2015 at 06:35 PM.
post #5871 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
No rollback, still latest FW - that's the next step if problems persist. And just the "all settings" option in the standard reset.

Media library was extremely convenient in my setup - multiple network shares that ML could aggregate into one unified menu tree - but I scrapped it at least 2 years ago when menu navigation bogged down to a snail's pace. Now I store all current content on one share volume and treat the others as "archives" - I can change content source on the SMP if I need to, but I avoid it as much as possible.

Turning ML off IMO should be the first step in troubleshooting any problem on the SMP...
I agree with the ML off. I found it did the same thing.... s l o w...

FYI, if it still gives you fits, here's the link for that script that wipes everything:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Liv...NG/td-p/845085

post #5872 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree with the ML off. I found it did the same thing.... s l o w...

FYI, if it still gives you fits, here's the link for that script that wipes everything:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Liv...NG/td-p/845085

Thanks - that's probably worth trying before the FW rollback. It might also be worthwhile to try dumping new shows onto a flash drive to see if the SMP has the same problems playing them there...

CC

post #5873 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 PM

Damnit, I wish I understood the code for these players... I'd hack the hell outta this thang...

Does anyone know if there have been any "post support" home brew firmware that is an improvement over the last official firmware update?

post #5874 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Damnit, I wish I understood the code for these players... I'd hack the hell outta this thang...

Does anyone know if there have been any "post support" home brew firmware that is an improvement over the last official firmware update?

If there were it's a safe bet they would have been mentioned here.

I think the functionality of the FW is decent. Where it's lacking is error recovery - that seems to be pretty much non-existent...

CC

post #5875 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
If there were it's a safe bet they would have been mentioned here.

I think the functionality of the FW is decent. Where it's lacking is error recovery - that seems to be pretty much non-existent...
I figured as much, just a last ditch, desperate attempt of a WD TV user...

post #5876 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I personally have 5 of the gen 3 boxes that are all giving me trouble.
My two (3rd and 4th gen) run fine on the latest firmwares, no rollback necessary (neither with those used by friends in their networks).

Quote:
Streaming playback of my WDTV on the network didn't like a static IP address
No problems with static IPs on this end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Unfortunately, I have to admit that those of us you use the word can be considered nerds.
Well, I'm no native speaker and even I had read this expression before.

Quote:
I'd hack the hell outta this thang...
You could put this extensive knowlegde to good use by turning off this annoying Tapatalk signature of yours. SCNR.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5877 of 6062 Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The solution I found -- it seems the WDTV live streaming just started crashing on everyone -- I'm guessing it is possible that how miracast works suddenly changed. Going to the setup area and turning off direct wifi -- which turns of Miracast seemed to help a lot, and I mean a lot. Try that before doing a rollback.
post #5878 of 6062 Old 10-15-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
My two (3rd and 4th gen) run fine on the latest firmwares, no rollback necessary (neither with those used by friends in their networks).

No problems with static IPs on this end.

Well, I'm no native speaker and even I had read this expression before.

You could put this extensive knowlegde to good use by turning off this annoying Tapatalk signature of yours. SCNR.
Wow, and here I thought these forums were to help one another build knowledge, troubleshoot issues and the like. But you've taken it so low as to being down right snarky. Nice job.

Oh, I found the setting. Hope it's to your liking, your highness...
post #5879 of 6062 Old 10-15-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wasn't aware the Live-SMP's were giving people this much problems. Perhaps the reason I have no problems with my Live-SMP's is because I have always used them in their most basic form to play a limited range of content. I have none of the features like the media library and miracast or wi-fi turned on and have never used them. I don't use any of the Internet streaming channels. I don't play music or stream photo's and I fully power down after use. The only thing I play on my Live-SMP's are BD.m2ts rips (full bitrate with HD audio) and I use the DLNA client for them (my server runs Mezzmo). I used to also play DVD.iso over windows shares, but I have since converted them over to MKV for Plex and use my TiVo-Plex client for DVD now.

The only crashes I have had were when sitting in standby -- which I no longer use.

- kelson h

post #5880 of 6062 Old 10-15-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
The solution I found -- it seems the WDTV live streaming just started crashing on everyone -- I'm guessing it is possible that how miracast works suddenly changed. Going to the setup area and turning off direct wifi -- which turns of Miracast seemed to help a lot, and I mean a lot. Try that before doing a rollback.
Thanks for the suggestion - I forgot about miracast - when I checked it was still on after the factory reset. I'm not sure how a change on a miracast-capable device could affect the SMP but it's one more wildcard factor out of the mix...

CC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page