*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #5941 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I didn't realize there were so many revisions - 1.04 to 1.16 - I only remember updating 2 or 3 times in the 3+ years I've had my SMP. How far back are you guys going to fix the freezing problems?

Thanks,
Posted a link earlier, shouldn't be but a few pages back.

HTC One M9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
Posted a link earlier, shouldn't be but a few pages back.

HTC One M9
Found it - thanks.

So I'm on 2.02.32 and going back one rev to 2.01.86 is sufficient? I was getting the impression people were having to go back several revs...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5943 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I didn't realize there were so many revisions - 1.04 to 1.16 - I only remember updating 2 or 3 times in the 3+ years I've had my SMP. How far back are you guys going to fix the freezing problems?

Thanks,
I personally won't go back beyond 2.xx.xx any further back you lose HDMI passthrough.
post #5944 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Found it - thanks.

So I'm on 2.02.32 and going back one rev to 2.01.86 is sufficient? I was getting the impression people were having to go back several revs...
That's the one rolled back to, now both of my Gen 3s are as stable as can be.

HTC One M9
post #5945 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny14o View Post
When you are testing things out. Pause and ff/rw during the movie and see if it "goofs" up. Also, try a variety (if you have them) of media formats (mkv, avi, etc) when doing attached and network streaming.

So far (following the rollback) on network streams using mkv files, I have been able to play a movie without it freezing, but it will mess up when pause, ff or rw is hit... spinning circle of death, and pull the plug to reboot.

I'm doing a movie marathon tomorrow night and plan to play them back from a USB stick (local) and will test out the functions (pause, rw, etc) that way...
Will do, just a matter of having the time. I have every video file format known to man represented here, which get run from an attached WD Passport or Elements, or on rare occasion a thumbdrive. So far, besides that feature-length movie I watched, just a few clips, but with Pause, RW to 8x, and FF to 32x.

The only streaming done here is Netflix, or sometimes YT. No NAS over the home network.

Skins ? I didn't know there were any skins . . . . Perhaps that accounts for the changing screen backgrounds ? But I didn't change that.
post #5946 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Found it - thanks.

I've stay 2.01.86 and have no problems with the SMP. No Freezing, spinning wheels. I can stream from Apps, play from usb or stream from Network Shares with 0 probs.
post #5947 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
In many ways it is a cop-out from Western Digital for introducing buggy firmware and then dropping future support.
But "it's ok because we'll have a page for you to trouble shoot for yourself (even though that should be the responsibility of the manufacturer) and then be able go BACKWARDS in features, just to make it NOT crash."

Western Digital really did users wrong.
They've done that several times... Introducing major if not catastrophic bugs in their last release.

Did it to the Hub, Live HD and Live Plus, too....
post #5948 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
They've done that several times... Introducing major if not catastrophic bugs in their last release.

Did it to the Hub, Live HD and Live Plus, too....
I have 2 Hubs with the last Firmware and they are rock solid. What is the bugs with that Firmware?
post #5949 of 6062 Old 10-30-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFast View Post
In the Android world we can see this kind of problems everyday. I have 3 tablets -Nexus, Sony & Lenovo- fortunately I disabled OTA updates, otherwise I would have 3 bricks today. And how do you recover or rollback an android device? Rooting, a lot of knowledge and risk, you know what I mean.
I've heard of this happening on some smartphones.
As someone with some theoretical interest in the category of tablets -- but who has never purchased one -- I would be interested to learn exactly which Android f/w releases one should definitely avoid on which tablet models. Since this is veering OT, feel free to PM that info to me. And thanks in advance.
post #5950 of 6062 Old 10-31-2015, 09:57 AM

Watched a feature-length movie last night (from a local .Mkv file), plus one half-hour featurette streamed from Netflix. Paused for a couple minutes, also used Rewind to check something -- No Problems.

I just rolled the f/w back on WD Live box #2 . One thing I've noticed on both of them, now with the 2.01.86 f/w, is that the "Back" button can Exit you from Netflix, but will not do so from YT. (I'm wondering when it was that YouTube changed their interface, and added commercials ?! Guess I haven't gone there from the WD in quite some time . . . . I don't think I've run into this in YT clips access from the computer.) In order to Exit YT now from the WD, I have to use the blue button at top right, with the Home logo. Don't know if this represents a change.
post #5951 of 6062 Old 10-31-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Did the roll back also, watched a movie - no issues. I have a box in my bedroom that I never updated and it works fine, I guess they are now both on the same firmware. The whole situation is frustrating. Had to be some buried code fragment that had a a date trigger of some global event that triggered it.

Has anyone who had a unit NOT connected to the internet had the problem?
post #5952 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

My rollback to 2.01.86 was a snap - only thing I haven't seen mentioned here or at WD is that I had to turn on auto-detect new FW in Settings>System.

I was surprised I didn't even have to re-do network and share setup. Everything worked fine in first use session - just have to get used to the old ribbon menu again.

Thanks for all the helpful posts...

CC

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 11-01-2015 at 04:48 AM. Reason: typo
post #5953 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 147
?? Even on the latest firmware I had the ribbon menu along the bottom - was there something else? I've got the SMP unit.
post #5954 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
?? Even on the latest firmware I had the ribbon menu along the bottom - was there something else? I've got the SMP unit.
Oh, sorry - I had forgotten that the new UI was optional - I never liked the ribbon so I was glad to get rid of it...

CC

post #5955 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There was the Grid View, You had a choice to switch.
post #5956 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 06:57 AM

Only if we could get the grid skin on the rolled back firmware.

HTC One M9
post #5957 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 01:45 PM

I watched a 2 hr .mkv movie last night via USB stick. Firmware 2.01.86 with no issues EXCEPT when I first started the SMP WD and selected the file, the little orange circle just kept spinning until I reset the unit. After reset the file played just fine. PAUSE, RW, etc worked fine.

Keep in mind, if this has been from a network source (NAS) the pause, ff ,etc would start screwing up at some point in movie.

With the reset being needed at startup and the pause, rw, ff quit working during network streaming, it almost seems like something "times out" on the unit. Kinda like the unit goes to sleep during playback and can't pick up again.

The firmware rollback has only helped make the unit not be a complete brick, but it is FAR from being the unit it is supposed to be.

Bizarre
post #5958 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
The whole situation is frustrating. Had to be some buried code fragment that had a a date trigger of some global event that triggered it.

Has anyone who had a unit NOT connected to the internet had the problem?
That has been my thought, also. One really doesn't know why or how often the Live-SMP calls home. The most recent update to the Live-SMP is a year old and units worked fine with it for months. The most recent change of events is that WD has cut off their server and it has gone dark. There may be code fragments that go wonky if they repeatedly can't get a response from WD.

My units are on the latest firmware and have not given any problems yet. I have the 2.1.86 firmware in hand for a roll-back just in case. But if they do start to give problems, the first thing I'll do is see if I can duplicate the problems with an attached HDD. If I can then I'll pull the Internet cable from the Live-SMP and see what effect that has.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5959 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I watched a 2 hr .mkv movie last night via USB stick. Firmware 2.01.86 with no issues EXCEPT when I first started the SMP WD and selected the file, the little orange circle just kept spinning until I reset the unit. After reset the file played just fine. PAUSE, RW, etc worked fine.

Keep in mind, if this has been from a network source (NAS) the pause, ff ,etc would start screwing up at some point in movie.

With the reset being needed at startup and the pause, rw, ff quit working during network streaming, it almost seems like something "times out" on the unit. Kinda like the unit goes to sleep during playback and can't pick up again.

The firmware rollback has only helped make the unit not be a complete brick, but it is FAR from being the unit it is supposed to be.

Bizarre
Unit works fine for me, pause, fwd, rwd from a network source with that same firmware. I have 2 and they operate with out issues.

HTC One M9
post #5960 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Unit works fine for me, pause, fwd, rwd from a network source with that same firmware. I have 2 and they operate with out issues.

HTC One M9
Some folks report the same thing as you, even on a network. It still makes me wonder if there is some sort of incompatibility between my WDTV and the AT&T gateway and/or the NAS boxes.

I have DLNA turned off on the NAS boxes and as many of the other features it has. Static IP addresses. They are pretty much JUST network storage and nothing else.

Trying to figure what in a gateway (router) would make it act like it "times out" and therefore lose the connection.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what would "confuse" the WDTV on a network?
post #5961 of 6062 Old 11-01-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Some folks report the same thing as you, even on a network. It still makes me wonder if there is some sort of incompatibility between my WDTV and the AT&T gateway and/or the NAS boxes.

I have DLNA turned off on the NAS boxes and as many of the other features it has. Static IP addresses. They are pretty much JUST network storage and nothing else.

Trying to figure what in a gateway (router) would make it act like it "times out" and therefore lose the connection.

Using Samba or NFS? I'm using NFS.

HTC One M9
post #5962 of 6062 Old 11-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Using Samba or NFS? I'm using NFS.

HTC One M9
NFS here as well...
post #5963 of 6062 Old 11-02-2015, 05:40 PM

I got a phone call from Western Digital today. Explained all the issues that I have been experiencing with all 5 of my Gen 3 units. Since I have already communicated with a Tier 2 tech, the next step is direct communication with development. I encouraged the techs to browse the WD Forums and see that I am not an isolated situation... MANY other owners are experiencing similar issues.

I got this email from WD to send the video information of files that I have experienced an issue with. They only asked for 3... I'll probably sent 10...

Dear John Fortino,

Thanks for your reply,

As per our conversation, can you please provide me the type of files that you are playing on your WDTV and if you can get the media info of at least 3 files. In order to get the media info of the file please access the link below.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase...r.aspx?ID=2745

WD strives to exceed customer's expectations. If you feel that your expectations have not been met and would like to escalate your case to the next level of support.

Sincerely,
Israel
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com
post #5964 of 6062 Old 11-02-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Since I have already communicated with a Tier 2 tech, the next step is direct communication with development.
Which won't do you good one bit.

Quote:
As per our conversation, can you please provide me the type of files that you are playing on your WDTV
That's standard procedure and hasn't worked previously, e.g. with the sudden MP4 bug some firmwares ago. If they'd actually read their own forums, they would have realized that this bug is most likely not file related cause it happens across the board.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5965 of 6062 Old 11-03-2015, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I ran into my first problem on 2.01 last night - similar to a 2.02 freeze except I didn't have to replug - the remote eventually responded to power off and reboot. (Windows share over WiFi)...

CC

post #5966 of 6062 Old 11-03-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Is it just a matter of streaming from the NAS of your home network, or was anyone seeing these problems with direct streaming from Netflix ? (I'm thinking maybe also the latter, at least in a fair number of cases.) I have reports from a relative with one of these boxes about occasional freezes during NF streaming, subtitles freezing, locked picture but the dialog continues, etc. The thing is, there can be alternate causes for these: problems at NF itself, peak period traffic congestion, and -- particularly if AT&T U-Verse is your provider -- a deliberate throttling of your internet delivery speed, which can have adverse consequences. (If you have some alternative way of bringing in streaming NF, such as via a smart tv or some competing streaming device, that would be a good cross-check against what is happening via the WD box.)

By way of comparison, I believe that distinguishing hallmarks of the firmware-caused issues are regular lockups with a totally unresponsive remote, requiring a hard reboot, plus the WD box getting a lot warmer than it should.

Last edited by Seeker47; 11-03-2015 at 10:14 PM.
post #5967 of 6062 Old 11-04-2015, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
Is it just a matter of streaming from the NAS of your home network, or was anyone seeing these problems with direct streaming from Netflix ? (I'm thinking maybe also the latter, at least in a fair number of cases.) I have reports from a relative with one of these boxes about occasional freezes during NF streaming, subtitles freezing, locked picture but the dialog continues, etc. The thing is, there can be alternate causes for these: problems at NF itself, peak period traffic congestion, and -- particularly if AT&T U-Verse is your provider -- a deliberate throttling of your internet delivery speed, which can have adverse consequences. (If you have some alternative way of bringing in streaming NF, such as via a smart tv or some competing streaming device, that would be a good cross-check against what is happening via the WD box.)

By way of comparison, I believe that distinguishing hallmarks of the firmware-caused issues are regular lockups with a totally unresponsive remote, requiring a hard reboot, plus the WD box getting a lot warmer than it should.
My guess is that it's not related to content source. I never stream from internet but got the freezes on local storage and windows shares, mostly a drive attached to router's USB3 port so no media server involved...

CC

post #5968 of 6062 Old 11-04-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
My guess is that it's not related to content source. I never stream from internet but got the freezes on local storage and windows shares, mostly a drive attached to router's USB3 port so no media server involved...
I would love to see the following test: for someone who is experiencing the freezes when playing content on a local HDD attached to the Live-SMP -- pull the network cable out, shut off the WiFi, reboot the box and see if the freeze problems persist or disappear.

When perfectly functioning boxes in the hands of multiple users suddenly go wonky en-masse, I look for common external factors. The only one I can see that would affect so many unique boxes is a "glitch" on the Internet. I keep suspecting there is a bug in the firmware that is not responding properly when the Live-SMP tries to phone home and gets no answer because WD has turned off the server. A freeze could be nothing more than a response wait-loop that never terminates if it never gets an answer.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5969 of 6062 Old 11-04-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I would love to see the following test: for someone who is experiencing the freezes when playing content on a local HDD attached to the Live-SMP -- pull the network cable out, shut off the WiFi, reboot the box and see if the freeze problems persist or disappear.

When perfectly functioning boxes in the hands of multiple users suddenly go wonky en-masse, I look for common external factors. The only one I can see that would affect so many unique boxes is a "glitch" on the Internet. I keep suspecting there is a bug in the firmware that is not responding properly when the Live-SMP tries to phone home and gets no answer because WD has turned off the server. A freeze could be nothing more than a response wait-loop that never terminates if it never gets an answer.
I'm game!

I have a new version of the Fifth Element 7.1 Atmos...

should be sweeeeeeet...!

I'll pop it onto a thumb drive tonight and watch it.

As a point of reference. I watched Mission Impossible Sunday night and paused it to take a leak. When I came back I got the error "Source material unsupported format" something-or-nother B.S.... which is stupid because I had been watching the movie for about 45 minutes already...

If the "detach from network" works/helps... I wonder if blocking the WD box via the router/gateway would have the same effect? E.T. can't phone home either way...

Of course, the "calling home" could be the root problem, but wouldn't matter if it is connected or not. It could continue to "loop" inside the unit. If that is the case, I wonder if this could be associated with the "memory leaks" people mention or the "low memory" errors on the latest firmware that I and many others have experienced.

I give the "detached from the world" method a try tonight and report back...

May the Force be with the WD...
post #5970 of 6062 Old 11-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Tell me about the servers that WD discontinued: what did they do / why did they phone home, what was their address, why were they discontinued ? (Whatever servers push out the latest f/w are obviously still functioning.) In a very limited way, this sort of reminds me of what I considered obnoxious and unacceptably intrusive behavior by Roku, which requires you to register and activate an account in order for their devices to become usable. No doubt the better for them to gather commercially useful data on you, sell you stuff themselves, sell your name and contact info to other companies.

If Kelson's surmise is correct, I don't know what we could do about it . . . .

I read something about a technique said to have been used to bypass authentication on some editions of Windows, at least up through 7 -- probably those using a VLK (?) -- which called an external server at bootup to ask "Am I O.K. ?" Apparently this tool created a fake local server on the computer that intercepted this process and answered back "Yeah, You O.K." Interesting idea, assuming this was true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page