*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #6031 of 6187 Old 11-18-2015, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Possible to splite out put from an external Hard disc?

I have a WD TV live that I have been using to play my videos that are download from the internet in AVI, MP4, WMV etc format from my WD 3 TB external HD. It would work for some files and not for other files. My Blu-ray DVD player would also play some files and not others from the same External HD. Rather than moving my External HD from the WD TV live to my Blu-ray player back and forth, I am wondering if I can just have a spitter that has 1 HDMI input and 2 USB output. This way, I can hook my HDD to the input and then connect USB output 1 to my WD TV live and connect USB output 2 to my Bly-ray player. This way if the WD TV live does not play the file then I can just switch to Blu-ray to see if that player will play the file.

Can someone tell me if this will work? Thanks

PS, as most people here knows that WD TV Live have problems playing some MP4 files while my Blu-ray player does not have that problem but does have problem playing WMV files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6187 Old 11-19-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
Well if you have no luck brining it back to life, I strongly recommend a Asus Chromebox, running openElec w/Kodi. I replaced one of my WDTV Gen 3s with this thing over the weekend and boy what an upgrade. Think I'm going to order 2 more, though hoping I find some deals on it on Black Friday.
Even though my Live-SMP's are working fine, I have a lot of interest in getting the Chromebox -- but not for Kodi. I'm more interested in the new Plex Media Player which is taking the place of the formerly PC-based Plex Home Theater. Their new Plex Media Player will run on a variety of devices including Chromebox -- and I suspect under Chrome OS. It's currently in preview and not yet available to the general population.

Of course, this would only be of interest to people already running a Plex server.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6033 of 6187 Old 11-19-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post
I have a WD TV live that I have been using to play my videos that are download from the internet in AVI, MP4, WMV etc format from my WD 3 TB external HD. It would work for some files and not for other files. My Blu-ray DVD player would also play some files and not others from the same External HD. Rather than moving my External HD from the WD TV live to my Blu-ray player back and forth, I am wondering if I can just have a spitter that has 1 HDMI input and 2 USB output. This way, I can hook my HDD to the input and then connect USB output 1 to my WD TV live and connect USB output 2 to my Bly-ray player. This way if the WD TV live does not play the file then I can just switch to Blu-ray to see if that player will play the file.

PS, as most people here knows that WD TV Live have problems playing some MP4 files while my Blu-ray player does not have that problem but does have problem playing WMV files.
I'm not familiar with the problem, but I don't download MP4 files, though I record several per week using PlayOn and never had a problem playing them.

Early portable HDD's often came with a Y connector to plug into 2 host ports, but the 2nd connector was just to boost the power if one was inadequate. So maybe dual data is possible - I'm sure only one host could be powered up at a time, and if both hosts don't do clean ejects corruption would likely ensue.

If the BD player has WiFi or ethernet, why not just share the drive on PC or router USB port?

Maybe the MP4 problem is something that could be repaired with software, e.g. the "quickstream fix" tool in VideoReDo?

Or just get a cheap portable drive to leave connected to the SMP. Use its network connection to duplicate your files on it. and delete the ones that don't work?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #6034 of 6187 Old 11-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the reply. First, I don't really know much about computers so most of the suggestions are just going right over my head. I guess I am just asking if HDD hookup to a USB A/B spliter would work. I may have fixed the MP4. While I was looking through this forum, it seems that a lot of people are having problem with MP4 and the problem was caused by the latest firmware update. I have followed their direction and now have a previous firmware loaded onto my WD TV live. So far the few MP4 videos I have tried works again.

However I would still like to know if it is possible to use an USB A/B splitter with a HDD?
post #6035 of 6187 Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Problem after downgrade firmware

Hi, I followed the steps and downgraded my firmware to the last version from the latest version. The good news is that my MP4 videos files are now playing however the bad news is that a few of my files does not show the video files in the folder. The folders are still there however when I try to play them, it says "No Media" "There is no media available for playback" When I attach the HDD to my computer, I can see video files in the folder. Can anyone help me with this problem? Why doesn't WD TV live see the video files in the folder? Just to let you know that I have deleted the folder on the HDD and then copy from my computer back to the HDD but WD TV live still does not see the files in the folder.

Just to let you know that it is not happening to all the folders but just to a few. Not sure why. Thanks for any help.

PS, I just found out by playing the WD TV Live that if I go to files (next to the setup in the menu) instead of Video, I can see the video files and it will play just fine from there but will not play from the Video selection.

Last edited by csun213; 11-19-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #6036 of 6187 Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Did your try rescanning?

HTC One M9
post #6037 of 6187 Old 11-19-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Did your try rescanning?

HTC One M9
how do I re-scan?

Should Media Library in setup be ON or Off?
post #6038 of 6187 Old 11-19-2015, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
how do I re-scan?

Should Media Library in setup be ON or Off?
I have it on but you navigate to the folder where you have your movies, hit options button, select rescan. Only works when using media library as your source.

HTC One M9
post #6039 of 6187 Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I have it on but you navigate to the folder where you have your movies, hit options button, select rescan. Only works when using media library as your source.

HTC One M9
Thanks for the quick response. I am only using Local Media which is my HDD
post #6040 of 6187 Old 11-21-2015, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Not sure if it was posted before, but WD rearranged their forum web site. The new forum link for the player is now here:
https://community.wd.com/c/wd-tv-hom...live-streaming

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #6041 of 6187 Old 11-30-2015, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I popped into the community forum where of course it's been flooded with complaints up the ying yang with how the player freezes with the latest firmware. One culprit seems to be a website that went down and the WDTV continuously tried to reach it, causing the memory overflow, etc. Well apparently that website is back up, and it seems that the player is stable again for many folks. For me it was downgrading the player back to the previous firmware. I'll wait till I read more if the problem is back to normal, but if it is, that means I can wait a bit longer until I need 4k or HEVC support before shopping for another player -- er I plan to do that anyways as the previous firmware was stable for me.
post #6042 of 6187 Old 12-01-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
I popped into the community forum where of course it's been flooded with complaints up the ying yang with how the player freezes with the latest firmware. One culprit seems to be a website that went down and the WDTV continuously tried to reach it, causing the memory overflow, etc. Well apparently that website is back up, and it seems that the player is stable again for many folks. For me it was downgrading the player back to the previous firmware. I'll wait till I read more if the problem is back to normal, but if it is, that means I can wait a bit longer until I need 4k or HEVC support before shopping for another player -- er I plan to do that anyways as the previous firmware was stable for me.
Sounds promising, and fits Kelson's theory that off-network USB-only usage might avoid the freezes. (What's the term for that - "air-gapped" I think?)
Kelson likes this.

CC

post #6043 of 6187 Old 12-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi all. I think my question has been covered before, maybe multiple times, but darned if I can find a definitive answer.

I have a WD SMP (WDBHG70000NBK) with a 3TB WD USB drive attached. Media library is enabled, set to the movies folder on the USB drive. I have another SMP I'd like to start using on a second TV. If I set its media library to use the movies folder on the first player's USB drive, I believe it will work fine. I'm unlikely to ever have both players on and accessing the drive at the same time.

My question is, are there any problems with this arrangement I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Jack
post #6044 of 6187 Old 12-09-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. First, I don't really know much about computers so most of the suggestions are just going right over my head. I guess I am just asking if HDD hookup to a USB A/B spliter would work. I may have fixed the MP4. While I was looking through this forum, it seems that a lot of people are having problem with MP4 and the problem was caused by the latest firmware update. I have followed their direction and now have a previous firmware loaded onto my WD TV live. So far the few MP4 videos I have tried works again.

However I would still like to know if it is possible to use an USB A/B splitter with a HDD?
Sorry, only one device can control the HD at a time. There's no such thing as a USB 'splitter'. There are USB hubs which allow multiple devices to be connected, but only to one 'home'.

You would need to setup the HD via network connection, NAS, to be able to accomplish that.

Have a good one,

neomaine
post #6045 of 6187 Old 12-26-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have an older WD Live with a usb hard drive connected to it. Works fine. I am able to take movies, etc. from my PC and copy them to the WD's usb drive without issue.

I was wondering if I could connect the WD to my PC via usb and set it up to where I play the movies solely though my network. The one possible issue I see is that I would only want that particular drive to be viewable by the WD, not my other external drive nor my regular hard drives on my PC.

So, is this possible and pretty simple to set up?
post #6046 of 6187 Old 12-26-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an older WD Live with a usb hard drive connected to it. Works fine. I am able to take movies, etc. from my PC and copy them to the WD's usb drive without issue.

I was wondering if I could connect the WD to my PC via usb and set it up to where I play the movies solely though my network. The one possible issue I see is that I would only want that particular drive to be viewable by the WD, not my other external drive nor my regular hard drives on my PC.

post #6047 of 6187 Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

I can't see how it would accomplish anything to connect the SMP to the PC, but you could connect the USB drive to a PC and share it - assuming Windows, you decide which drives and folders are shareable. If your router has a USB port that would be another option. You'll need a fairly robust network, especially if any content is HD. It's easy to create a shared folder and try it, though the details depend on Win version. And of course you can also connect the SMP to any shared folders you set up...

CC

post #6048 of 6187 Old 12-27-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

The easiest is to share the folder on the PC with the files, then connect to that share with the WDTV. That said, some have reported issues with the sharing working reliably. Also, the bandwidth could be pretty high so you may want to use hardwired Ethernet if possible, or have a very good WiFi connection.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #6049 of 6187 Old 12-27-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I can't see how it would accomplish anything to connect the SMP to the PC, but you could connect the USB drive to a PC and share it - assuming Windows, you decide which drives and folders are shareable. If your router has a USB port that would be another option. You'll need a fairly robust network, especially if any content is HD. It's easy to create a shared folder and try it, though the details depend on Win version. And of course you can also connect the SMP to any shared folders you set up...
Yes, windows 8.1. The last usb drive I connected to my router (archer c7) had numerous folders and everything was organized. When I viewed that drive from my PC, everything was all together. So, if it does the same with my WD drive then I won't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
The easiest is to share the folder on the PC with the files, then connect to that share with the WDTV. That said, some have reported issues with the sharing working reliably. Also, the bandwidth could be pretty high so you may want to use hardwired Ethernet if possible, or have a very good WiFi connection.
Everything is wired, nothing wireless. Although it does pass through 2-3 switches. I may give it a go later this week since I'm off.

Any easy to understand guides?
post #6050 of 6187 Old 12-27-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, windows 8.1. The last usb drive I connected to my router (archer c7) had numerous folders and everything was organized. When I viewed that drive from my PC, everything was all together. So, if it does the same with my WD drive then I won't like it.

Everything is wired, nothing wireless. Although it does pass through 2-3 switches. I may give it a go later this week since I'm off.

Any easy to understand guides?
Maybe your router has some kind of media service running? They like to aggregate but should be easy to turn off.

It would only take a few minutes to try - just create a shared folder on your PC, move one of your videos into it, then change content source on the SMP to win shares and navigate to that folder. If sharing has never been enabled on your PC, enable it in "network and sharing center" (right-click the network icon in task bar notif area)

CC

post #6051 of 6187 Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you're hard wired from you pc to the WD. You should be able to watch just about anything you throw at it. Providing..... I use Universal Media Server.. Great little program, and free. I have 2 different WD devices, and old Sony media player, Samsung bluray player, and a ps3 and ps4. But the last 2 listed have a few limitations. Sound quits after about 20 minutes on the ps3 on a few movies I know why, just don't like discussing that type of issues on here. And the ps4, well, not near as good a media player that the ps3 once was.

That was the whole reason for the WD Live player in the first place. I only sorry they quit making them... And now, thanks to all the great help I find here...And the roll back the update that really messed things up. I can watch almost anything. 3D, hd-ma 7.1. I really cant think of anything I cant watch in 1080p with great sound. Seems that there's one sound format or codec or something I cant hear. But I look for dts sound for the most part.

I have no buffering issues at all. Good luck, and enjoy.
post #6052 of 6187 Old 12-30-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I got my equipment setup and got a MybookLive drive plugged directly through Ethernet into my Archer C7 Router. I also have a WDTV and PS4 directly into that router as well.

I have twonky setup on the Mybook and some mkv 1080p movies.

The movies stream fine to my PS4 however constantly buffer on the WDTV. Any suggestions as it doesn't seem to be a network issue.

Please note that I played the same mkv from an external USB hooked directly to WD TV without issue

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 12-30-2015 at 03:13 PM.
post #6053 of 6187 Old 12-30-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
So I got my equipment setup and got a MybookLive drive plugged directly through Ethernet into my Archer C7 Router. I also have a WDTV and PS4 directly into that router as well.

I have tworky setup on the Mybook and some mkv 1080p movies.

The movies stream fine to my PS4 however constantly buffer on the WDTV. Any suggestions as it doesn't seem to be a network issue.

Please note that I played the same mkv from an external USB hooked directly to WD TV without issue
I have no idea what a "tworky" is and if I found it on any device I'd get rid of it faster than a herd of turtles in a brush fire...

CC

post #6054 of 6187 Old 12-30-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I have no idea what a "tworky" is and if I found it on any device I'd get rid of it faster than a herd of turtles in a brush fire...
Whoops. Ha-ha. I meant Twonky.
post #6055 of 6187 Old 12-30-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have twonky setup on the Mybook and some mkv 1080p movies.

You know, i posted a few days ago about reloacting my WD Live to either my main PC or my Archer C7. I've been procrastinating but if I do this, do I need twonky? I was thinking i could test and see if I have a similar issue but I wasn't aware I'd need anything else.
post #6056 of 6187 Old 12-30-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
You know, i posted a few days ago about reloacting my WD Live to either my main PC or my Archer C7. I've been procrastinating but if I do this, do I need twonky? I was thinking i could test and see if I have a similar issue but I wasn't aware I'd need anything else.
Now I wonder if having twonky enabled on both the MyBook and WDTV is causing conflicts but I don't know why it would.

Why would it stream ok to the ps4 and not WDTV. Maybe the CPU on the WDTV can handle the network transfer?

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 12-30-2015 at 06:34 PM.
post #6057 of 6187 Old 01-04-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 50
[QUOTE=ffactoryxx;40174410]Now I wonder if having twonky enabled on both the MyBook and WDTV is causing conflicts but I don't know why it would.

The WD TV's don't have Twonky at all so I don't know how you've enabled it on both...
post #6058 of 6187 Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Arrow MiraCast works

Just a heads-up ...

MiraCast works with Dell Venue Pro 3845 Tablet running Windows-10.

SMP is still setup for wired Ethernet. MiraCast appears to work via special WiFi, directly from tablet to SMP unit.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #6059 of 6187 Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Have you tried leaving the USB drive attached to the WD and browsing to it from your Blu-Ray player? Some players will allow this, some won't. I have movies on a USB drive attached to my WD SMP. My OPPO player can access the drive and play movies from it, but my Panasonic Blu-Ray player will not. I believe that you have to turn on "Network Share Server" in the Network Settings menu in the WD setup. (See owner's guide under "Transferring Files.")

Jack
post #6060 of 6187 Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 21
[quote=WDFan1970;40303050]
Quote:
Now I wonder if having twonky enabled on both the MyBook and WDTV is causing conflicts but I don't know why it would.

The WD TV's don't have Twonky at all so I don't know how you've enabled it on both...
The WD TV Live Hub has Twonky Server.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page