*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #6061 of 6138 Old 01-05-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 50
[quote=Otter0911;40324994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

The WD TV Live Hub has Twonky Server.
That's true -- let me rephrase. The player discussed in this forum doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6138 Old 01-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
[quote=WDFan1970;40326714]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

That's true -- let me rephrase. The player discussed in this forum doesn't.
Tru Dat
post #6063 of 6138 Old 02-15-2016, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wdtv live doesn't seem to want to even get to the menu section right now. All I get are the clouds, & then it turns itself off. I gather there were all kinds of problems with this unit freezing, but I thought they had been resolved. Could someone kindly let me know if there is a solution for this device at the moment? Worked fine for what I needed before all the problems.

Thanks.
post #6064 of 6138 Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBV View Post
My wdtv live doesn't seem to want to even get to the menu section right now. All I get are the clouds, & then it turns itself off. I gather there were all kinds of problems with this unit freezing, but I thought they had been resolved. Could someone kindly let me know if there is a solution for this device at the moment? Worked fine for what I needed before all the problems.
I have 3 in full service with the latest firmware working fine. Before you throw it away, try a new power supply. You can get nice one one from Amazon for ~$10. I have had a WD power wart start to fail and cause erratic behavior where the device had previously worked fine. I have mentioned this before in regard to sudden WDTV Live behavior problems and there are 2 posts from people who replaced the PS and cured their issues. What have you got to lose. If you read the threads you will see that it is not easy to find a simple replacement for the Live-SMP in its price class.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6065 of 6138 Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My wdtv live doesn't seem to want to even get to the menu section right now. All I get are the clouds, & then it turns itself off.
Just to clarify -- you get Clouds -- WITH a Moon or WITHOUT? If WITH a moon, that's the first-phase of the bootup before the HDMI / Video outputs are sync'd up. If you never see the Cloudscape come back WITHOUT a moon in the image, then it's possibly a video output issue.

... or are you saying even the Power LED goes out?
Kelson likes this.
post #6066 of 6138 Old 02-16-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Just to clarify -- you get Clouds -- WITH a Moon or WITHOUT? If WITH a moon, that's the first-phase of the bootup before the HDMI / Video outputs are sync'd up.
LOL, I never noticed that.

When I get home tonight I'm going to fire up one of my Live-SMP's and look for the moon to come and go.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6067 of 6138 Old 02-21-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I have 3 in full service with the latest firmware working fine. Before you throw it away, try a new power supply. You can get nice one one from Amazon for ~$10. I have had a WD power wart start to fail and cause erratic behavior where the device had previously worked fine. I have mentioned this before in regard to sudden WDTV Live behavior problems and there are 2 posts from people who replaced the PS and cured their issues. What have you got to lose. If you read the threads you will see that it is not easy to find a simple replacement for the Live-SMP in its price class.

Apologies for the late reply, I had a plumbing problem in the basement/home theater, only just able to watch again.
Thanks, I will give that a shot.
post #6068 of 6138 Old 02-21-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify -- you get Clouds -- WITH a Moon or WITHOUT? If WITH a moon, that's the first-phase of the bootup before the HDMI / Video outputs are sync'd up. If you never see the Cloudscape come back WITHOUT a moon in the image, then it's possibly a video output issue.

... or are you saying even the Power LED goes out?

Again, apologies for the late reply.

Clouds with moon. After about 30 seconds of that screen, the TV says "no input". Light remains on on wdtv live.

Thanks for replying.
post #6069 of 6138 Old 02-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Well that's strange. I went back to the wdtvlive input, & it had gone to the menu screen, even though I previously had seemingly lost the connection with "no input". Playing a film right now, 10 mins in, all seems well.
post #6070 of 6138 Old 02-21-2016, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Again, apologies for the late reply.

Clouds with moon. After about 30 seconds of that screen, the TV says "no input". Light remains on on wdtv live.

Thanks for replying.
That's normal for a cold boot. It could take as much as 60 sec after the screen goes black (no input) before the menu comes up.

You may have been fooled by startup from standby. When you press the power button the unit goes into standby unless you hold the power button for 5 sec. Startup from standby is much faster. If that is what you are used to, a cold boot could seem like something is wrong.

- kelson h

post #6071 of 6138 Old 02-22-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Cold boot takes usually ~90 seconds for me, which is a lot.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #6072 of 6138 Old 02-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Been using the WDTV for years and I have two SMPs and and two HUBS with two more attached 4d portable HDs. I'm reporting here since so many have asked about what to do when these boxes stop getting supported all together.

Sometimes my WDTV box freezes, often it needs a cold-reboot (not nearly as often as it did before I went back to the prior firmware). The interface is VERY SLOW and clunky and WD (the company) does not really seem to care. However it plays pretty much EVERYTHING really well which is why I love it. But I have been looking around for something better. I like the new DUNE HD coming down the pike but I don't love it's interface; I like lots of picture and to me it looks like it's only text. So just to fool around a couple of weeks ago I bought a little Android box, an 8-core ARM idroidnation box that was $109 with a remote that has an air-mouse and built in keyboard. It's taken a while to get to know Android and Kodi (used to be XBMC) but I'm starting to like it. The interface is light years beyond the WD box and very tweakable. It's extremely quick even though I have over 1000 movies and almost as many TV episodes. The only problem I have so far is that sometimes there is artifact when playing back movies/TV. It's rare and mild, but not acceptable (it does not happen when I stream TO kodi from MEZZMO server, same movies, but I don't want to have to run that). It's probably my setup, most others don't seem to have the same issue. I continue to learn more and tweak but the family still uses the WDTV for now. I wish they would update it to better/faster hardware.

--. .-. .- - . ..-. ..- .-.. / -.. . .- -..
Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #6073 of 6138 Old 02-24-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
I wish they would update it to better/faster hardware.
So would we all but that is unlikely since they discontinued the line some time ago and have withdrawn from the media player market. A shame, really, because once they added DTS-MA pass-through, nothing touched this box in its price range and even beyond. People are finding it is pretty tough to replace these boxes. Adequate stand-alones that work out of the box are $200 and above.

I for one like a clean interface and have always been very happy with the text-based organized title listings I get using a DLNA (Mezzmo) server to feed the Live-SMP. That interface is very responsive and all the organization is done by the DLNA server. I also have a Plex server running and find all the eye candy and endless button pushes required to find and play a damn title to be an extreme drag. To each his own.

- kelson h

post #6074 of 6138 Old 02-24-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
That's normal for a cold boot. It could take as much as 60 sec after the screen goes black (no input) before the menu comes up.

You may have been fooled by startup from standby. When you press the power button the unit goes into standby unless you hold the power button for 5 sec. Startup from standby is much faster. If that is what you are used to, a cold boot could seem like something is wrong.
Understood, thanks. Now i think of it, when it was malfunctioning a few months ago, the light was going off on the wdtv while the clouds-screen was up, & wouldn't seem to work no matter what I tried (unplugging from wall, etc). I guess I was presuming this cold-boot cycle was something similar. Seems to be working ok now...

Oh, & back then, mine was also having the "freezing in the middle of a film" problem, so something was definitely up. When I saw others having similar problems I kinda gave up on it for a while, presuming there would be some kind of firmware fix. Sad to see from others' posts that WD seems to have given up on it, it was easily the cheapest way to play back virtually any file format

Thanks again.
post #6075 of 6138 Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So I'm not sure, more testing to be done, but I believe the WDs will play Dolby Atmos.

I ripped Terminator Genisys 1:1 using MakeMKV. When played through the Onkyo 646 the Atmos light turned on...On screen stated it's Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 (Which is same for playing a BD) will post screenshots later.

Anybody else seen this? Thoughts?

Last edited by Otter0911; 02-24-2016 at 07:43 AM.
post #6076 of 6138 Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 695
I know a lot of people have said the WDTV is slow and clunky at times, but I think it's hit and miss depending on the unit and how you use it. I have my original SMP that has very good response and will only freeze up once in a blue moon. I bought a second one (refurb) that is a bit more temperamental and a smaller zone for which the remote works, but it's still good. A couple of weeks ago I saw that Amazon had a bunch of refurbs of the last version coming in for 59 bucks, so I picked up two. Man, let me tell you that these two are screamers. Fast, responsive, the whole nine yards. Whatever they did, they did it right. By the way, I run all of these using the original base firmware and then push a firmware from the WDLXTV forum that allows for additional themes to be used (you have to have a connected frashdrive for enough space to hold linksheets, themes, etc). This gives it, for lack of a better explaination, a kind of Kodi feel. I also stream my movies from a WDEX4100 NAS using a NFS share. Seems to work great. Anyway, I'm hoping these will last me a few more years until some of the other player options get all their kinks ironed out.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #6077 of 6138 Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 97
There used to be a 3rd party firmware available for at least one of the WD models. Wonder if that is still around anywhere..

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
SR6010->Chane A2rx-c x 3+ DCM OW-1s x 4+Klipch HQ-12 sub+ ML Dynamo 300 sub
post #6078 of 6138 Old 02-24-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh, & back then, mine was also having the "freezing in the middle of a film" problem, so something was definitely up.
The Live-SMP does have a slow memory leak. The "normal" off procedure only puts it in standby so it is still running and maintains a network presence for remote file management of an attached HDD. After a while the leak causes problems and it needs to be cold-booted. For this reason I generally use the procedure to turn it completely off and do a cold boot each time I use it. I almost never have a freeze issue when playing a BD rip -- and when I do it is usually because some other network activity is overloading my PLA connection to the servers.

- kelson h

post #6079 of 6138 Old 02-24-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post
So I'm not sure, more testing to be done, but I believe the WDs will play Dolby Atmos.

I ripped Terminator Genisys 1:1 using MakeMKV. When played through the Onkyo 646 the Atmos light turned on...On screen stated it's Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 (Which is same for playing a BD) will post screenshots later.

Anybody else seen this? Thoughts?
Good to know.. ATMOS just resides in the existing AC-3 stream; it's designed to be backward compatible. So since the WD TV is just bitstreaming the AC-3 stream, it very well should carry Atmos with it...

Atmos is not like DTS-HD MA which requires an additional stream within the audio payload.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/e...ions_Atmos.pdf
post #6080 of 6138 Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I was astonished to see the WDTV not handling a Dolby Digital+ stream like the one on the German BD of "Inside Out". Had to rip the 5.1 core to get sound.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #6081 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
The Live-SMP does have a slow memory leak. The "normal" off procedure only puts it in standby so it is still running and maintains a network presence for remote file management of an attached HDD. After a while the leak causes problems and it needs to be cold-booted. For this reason I generally use the procedure to turn it completely off and do a cold boot each time I use it. I almost never have a freeze issue when playing a BD rip -- and when I do it is usually because some other network activity is overloading my PLA connection to the servers.
is there a way to "cold boot" without ripping out the power cord?
post #6082 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, & back then, mine was also having the "freezing in the middle of a film" problem
something about CA : Winter Soldier made my WD freeze every 45 minutes like clockwork. It was really weird.
post #6083 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Not if it's frozen. Otherwise just do a hard-shutdown or system menu restart...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #6084 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Not if it's frozen. Otherwise just do a hard-shutdown or system menu restart...
well but @Kelson is talking about doing a cold boot every time he goes to use the thing.

I've started using Plex for XBox One as a substitute but I know for a fact the audio is not coming through right.
post #6085 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
well but @Kelson is talking about doing a cold boot every time he goes to use the thing.

I've started using Plex for XBox One as a substitute but I know for a fact the audio is not coming through right.
I think he just means that he does the hard shutdown after every use - then it will cold-boot the next time you start it. I do the same thing, though for different reasons - I shut down my network every night and losing the network connection while in standby screws it up...

CC

post #6086 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I believe this refers to doing a full power-off by pressing and HOLDING the power button on the remote for about 5 seconds. I too have to do this once in a while on my two WD SMPs.
post #6087 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack View Post
I believe this refers to doing a full power-off by pressing and HOLDING the power button on the remote for about 5 seconds. I too have to do this once in a while on my two WD SMPs.
if this gives me back my WD I would happily add the 90 seconds to boot to use it. there's no other device in this price class that does what this thing does. (when it works)
post #6088 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
if this gives me back my WD I would happily add the 90 seconds to boot to use it. there's no other device in this price class that does what this thing does. (when it works)
For me, it's helpful but not foolproof - it still disconnects from my latest network share occasionally.

Once my network is back up in the morning I'll power the SMP up next time I walk through the room so it's ready to go whenever we're ready to watch...

CC

post #6089 of 6138 Old 02-25-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
For me, it's helpful but not foolproof - it still disconnects from my latest network share occasionally.

Once my network is back up in the morning I'll power the SMP up next time I walk through the room so it's ready to go whenever we're ready to watch...
Same here. I use the 5 sec hold on the power button to turn off and I still get random disconnects from my share.
post #6090 of 6138 Old 02-26-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:

As was noted in other posts, press and hold the power button until the light on the Live-SMP goes out. Takes about 5 sec.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page