*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 205 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
post #6121 of 6136 Unread 04-21-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
boo
agreed, am disappointed that WD just dropped this product like a hot potato, but....the world moves on...

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
SR6010->Chane A2rx-c x 3+ DCM OW-1s x 4+Klipch HQ-12 sub+ ML Dynamo 300 sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 6136 Unread 04-21-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I was just about to ask if this was a real update that fixed things or just removed more streaming services.
It apparently does some of both.
Well, the change-log in the link is for the current WDTV Media Player, not the previous Live-SMP (with Netflix) -- this thread.

Like most, I presumed the Live-SMP to be "end-of-life" so I keep auto-update off. I would never have seen this update if it were not for this thread. I used my Live-SMP to bring up the update and read the change-log on screen. For the Live-SMP it says nothing about removing streaming services but instead lists a whole bunch of new Internet streaming sites that it says are ADDED. As to fixes, they are few and pretty much only cosmetic pertaining to the Grid-UI -- which I don't use. There is nothing of any substance here.

Since I do not use the Live-SMP for Internet streaming -- only for BD.m2ts playback -- and I don't use the Grid UI and my Live-SMP works perfectly for what I use it for, I'm going to just ignore this minor 2.03 update and stick with 2.02.

I too wish WD would have stayed in the game and come out with a new model. They leave a pretty big price/performance hole. On the other hand, I'm not going to damn them. They gave us a good product that nothing else could touch at the price point with good support (16 firmware updates) over its life. They ended its life with a great send-off -- they gave us DTS-MA pass-through. At this point, I'll continue to use mine until it dies and a new power supply doesn't revive it.
Boodaddy and mr266 like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6123 of 6136 Unread 04-21-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
That seems to be for "WDTV Media Player", and is 1.03.07. The WDTV Live was 2.something.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #6124 of 6136 Unread 04-21-2016, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I recently had a couple of files that the WDTV did not play -- MP4 files. After the update they played just fine. Not sure if the update fixed it or just a refreshing of the firmware did it. Also, what seems to work but didn't before, unless I'm like totally confused between firmware updates -- under options the flixter trailers now play, which is cool if you are having any doubts about the movie you wanted to watch, LOL.
post #6125 of 6136 Unread 04-22-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is it REALLY that hard to find the firmware yourselves?

support.wdc.com
Click on WD TV
Click "Don't see your product?" Here link
Click WD TV
Click WD TV Live Streaming Media Player
Click Downloads
Click Current Firmware.

Why didn't I just post a link? "Teach a man to fish..."
Ive likes this.
post #6126 of 6136 Unread 04-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Ive

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
Is it REALLY that hard to find the firmware yourselves?

Exactly. And if people did that, they'd know the firmware-update link that was recently posted is the wrong one for this thread. The latest for our players (this thread) is Release 2.03.20 (4/20/2016).

I'm still nervous to try it though since my rolled-back-firmware is working fine for steaming, and user Iron Mike said in the page before that the latest one still has playback issues for him.
post #6127 of 6136 Unread 04-22-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive View Post
Exactly. And if people did that, they'd know the firmware-update link that was recently posted is the wrong one for this thread. The latest for our players (this thread) is Release 2.03.20 (4/20/2016).

I'm still nervous to try it though since my rolled-back-firmware is working fine for steaming, and user Iron Mike said in the page before that the latest one still has playback issues for him.
http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_2.03.20.zip

post #6128 of 6136 Unread 04-29-2016, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Does this player handle PAL conversion to 60Hz. well? My old TV supported 50Hz so I always sent 25.000/50.000 content to the TV as 1080p@50Hz., but my new LG UHD TV doesn't support 50Hz, so I need to send everything out as 1080p@60Hz. Does the conversion of PAL framerates to 60Hz. cause any stutter or frame drops at regular intervals due to the conversion? I've never had to worry about this until now. I heard the Sigma chips handle PAL>60Hz conversion better than the Mediatek chips like the 1186 can. Can anybody elaborate?

Last edited by jerimiah; 04-29-2016 at 09:42 AM.
post #6129 of 6136 Unread 04-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
Matt see CC_in_Oh's response. There was some sort of URL that was taken down that the WDTV pointed to and caused the machine to overheat and run out of memory. They did put it back up and having updated back to the latest firmware it doesn't crash any more. THere are a couple things that no longer seem to work like Youtube trailers or the other trailers under options. But all the regular playback things work well. I've not had any problems since.
Quote:
Well looks like I spoke too soon. Apparently they took that website back down on the 30th so it crashed again. Might as well stay with the roll back firmware until further notice. I'll keep tabs on the owner forums if there is a change.
I haven't been keeping up with the changes the updates have been doing. Does this mean I need to roll back to Ver. 2.01.86 to avoid this overheating issue? I haven't been using my WDTV Live player much lately but I'm going to be using it more and I want to avoid issues. Is this overheating issue caused by the website being taken down a problem if I only use it to watch local files from USB or my local network? Does it always try to connect to that site even when watching locally?
post #6130 of 6136 Unread 04-29-2016, 09:18 PM

Apparently the latest firmware, the 2.0.3 firmware, keeps the player from overheating. I haven't had any problems with it since I updated the firmware to the latest update which came out last week. Seems pretty solid right now.
post #6131 of 6136 Unread 04-29-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Apparently the latest firmware, the 2.0.3 firmware, keeps the player from overheating. I haven't had any problems with it since I updated the firmware to the latest update which came out last week. Seems pretty solid right now.
Great. Thank you. Shame to see it is being abandoned and WD is not putting out a newer unit. They had a great product here.

Can anybody answer my question above about how well this player handles converting PAL content to 60Hz.?
post #6132 of 6136 Unread Yesterday, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The new firmware seems pretty solid. I've been using the Nvidia shield, but since I've gotten my new display (Vizio P55), I'm noticing the Shield picture quality issues that others have mentioned. So, I am back to my WDTV for now. I can't believe after all this time, it still is one of the best things out there.

Is it possible a new WDTV is on the horizon? Maybe they are back to looking at the code for a new release of something, maybe with the Sigma SMP8762 Soc That is probably just wishful thinking.
post #6133 of 6136 Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movd View Post
The new firmware seems pretty solid. I've been using the Nvidia shield, but since I've gotten my new display (Vizio P55), I'm noticing the Shield picture quality issues that others have mentioned. So, I am back to my WDTV for now. I can't believe after all this time, it still is one of the best things out there.

Is it possible a new WDTV is on the horizon? Maybe they are back to looking at the code for a new release of something, maybe with the Sigma SMP8762 Soc That is probably just wishful thinking.
out of curiousity, since that new television is a 4k television. So whatever you're watching from the WDTV gets upconverted to 4k with the new vizio? I guess I should clarify the question with -- is the stuff you're playing from the WDTV starting out at 1080p or is it being upconverted by the WDTV to 1080p?

Anyway, so the picture quality on the shield isn't that good -- hmmm. That's too bad because that IS one of the models in the running to replace the WDTV when we all get new televisions.
post #6134 of 6136 Unread Today, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Applied the latest firmware yesterday. After the first reboot, it appeared to hang with a black screen. After about 5-10 minutes, I pulled power. It rebooted, appeared to finalize some updating, then started up fine.

I generally only use mine for Netflix, so it doesn't seem different. Out of curiosity, I tried some of those other little services that all seem to be front ends for the same service. (Asian Crush, American Pop Classics, etc...) They just give a message that the content is not available in my area. I remember trying them once before a few months ago, and it looked like it was mostly Public Domain type garbage. Just wonder if it works for anyone else.

To be honest, I'm looking into getting a Roku. The WDTV seems great if you do alot of network or USB, but it's streaming support is mostly useless.

post #6135 of 6136 Unread Today, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
out of curiousity, since that new television is a 4k television. So whatever you're watching from the WDTV gets upconverted to 4k with the new vizio? I guess I should clarify the question with -- is the stuff you're playing from the WDTV starting out at 1080p or is it being upconverted by the WDTV to 1080p?

Anyway, so the picture quality on the shield isn't that good -- hmmm. That's too bad because that IS one of the models in the running to replace the WDTV when we all get new televisions.
All of my content is 1080p, whis is what the WDTV is outputting. From there, the TV upscales it to 4k and does a very nice job.

There is a pretty big discussion at the Nvidia forum regarding the picture quality of the Shield. https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...omment=4820142

The Shield is a very capable device and I have become of big fan of Kodi so if Nvidia can address some issues, it has a lot of potential.
post #6136 of 6136 Unread Today, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
To be honest, I'm looking into getting a Roku. The WDTV seems great if you do alot of network or USB, but it's streaming support is mostly useless.
Just picked up a Roku 4. I don't have a 4K TV, but I figured I might as well get the latest version. Boy, is this thing fast. Plus, easy to add in channels. It looks like it has some basic media abilities (USB, SD, DLNA.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

taboola here