*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread

Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

moolala's Avatar moolala
07:29 AM Liked: 10
post #631 of 5441
11-29-2011 | Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyDLP View Post

To: stiggs, I don't know what to conclude from that, other than that the device is not working as it should (obviously) but whether it is fixable with a firmware update or not is a different story. I had two .mp4's that would freeze during playback ( but not lock up the SMP, I could still exit) I ended up uploading the files to Western Digital for them to review, because the file would cause other files to become unplayable as well. Perhaps you can upload your problem file as well and see if you can make the user experience better for everybody who owns the product.

luvmyDLP...I was looking through your posts for more NFS info when I stumbled across the issues you had with.mp4 files (which I have prob with as mentioned...) has WD commented or do you have any additional details or thoughts regarding those files ? ...are details same as my files ?

regards...MOO
ps...re changing shares to NFS, I'm reading up on it...but to be honest, I'm worried that with kids playing Call of Duty and the umpteen other stresses on the connection, that maybe wireless just isn't going to be viable solution for primary library.
moolala's Avatar moolala
11:10 AM Liked: 10
post #632 of 5441
11-29-2011 | Posts: 175
Anyone know or think there is chance that an alternative theme might provide MPAA RATING on screen in gallery view ?

It was certainly captured from database, but I have not seen any place that shows it thus far (default theme)
psxgamer's Avatar psxgamer
02:06 PM Liked: 10
post #633 of 5441
11-29-2011 | Posts: 5
Could not find the answer to this with the thread search, so here goes:

This new TV Live 2nd generation is not 3D compatible? It has HDMI 1.4, so it would be quite strange if it is not...
CineFreak's Avatar CineFreak
02:25 PM Liked: 11
post #634 of 5441
11-29-2011 | Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by psxgamer View Post

Could not find the answer to this with the thread search, so here goes:

This new TV Live 2nd generation is not 3D compatible? It has HDMI 1.4, so it would be quite strange if it is not...

Being 1.4 HDMI it should simply "Pass Through" the 3D Video/Audio therefore letting the 3D TV process said content.

Jessica
WDFan1970's Avatar WDFan1970
02:41 PM Liked: 35
post #635 of 5441
11-29-2011 | Posts: 1,076
One should never infer that the specification of an HDMI version number means anything about its capabilities.

In fact, HDMI Licensing is banning such usage, unless the explicit details of WHAT parts of the specification are included.

By the way, a device need not be HDMI 1.4 to do 3D. My LG 55LX6500 3DTV and BluRay player are both HDMI 1.3...

HDMI 1.3 does 3D just fine as well... and all WD boxes except for the old WDTV HD are version 1.3...
jerndl's Avatar jerndl
05:48 PM Liked: 10
post #636 of 5441
11-29-2011 | Posts: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

HDMI 1.3 does 3D just fine as well... and all WD boxes except for the old WDTV HD are version 1.3...

The specs for the WDTV Live Hub say HDMI 1.4. I can't seem to find the HDMI specs for the new Live. I don't know what advantages the 1.4 in the hub gets you though.

Jay
luvmyDLP's Avatar luvmyDLP
09:08 PM Liked: 10
post #637 of 5441
11-29-2011 | Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolala View Post

luvmyDLP...I was looking through your posts for more NFS info when I stumbled across the issues you had with.mp4 files (which I have prob with as mentioned...) has WD commented or do you have any additional details or thoughts regarding those files ? ...are details same as my files ?

regards...MOO
ps...re changing shares to NFS, I'm reading up on it...but to be honest, I'm worried that with kids playing Call of Duty and the umpteen other stresses on the connection, that maybe wireless just isn't going to be viable solution for primary library.

I'm still waiting for the tech who is waiting for his engineering guys to find out what the problem is, but he did say that it is a new device and the problem will be fixed, as it is just software that needs to be adjusted. It is not all .mp4's that cause the issue I've only come accross two .mp4's that disable the device. It's funny how you said that that was the first file you played, because that's exactly what happened to me, I could not play ANY of my files, I was ready to throw the SMP out the window!!!, I did not figure out you have to unplug it to get it going again for a little while, but I am glad I gave it a second chance and have since bought additional units; and yes the Mediainfo details of the files that gave me problems are similar to yours, but I will check to see all the similarities.

RE: NFS , I'm putting two of my Live-s units on wireless, and two of them on cat 6. either way NFS is a more efficient protocol. I can tell you that even my old SAGEMCOM 2864 (router) setup was able to stream video content, from the internet, to one media player (not the WDTV SMP) wirelessly while simultaneously streaming 1080p DTS, from my library, to one SMP, wirelessly, without issue. With the new router (ASUS RT-N56U) I'm attempting to be able to play two 1080p DTS streams wirelessly, simultaneously; but the wireless SMP's will be on a different access point than most other wireless devices in the house. Also, as far as I remember, call of duty did not require that much bandwidth, I remember playing it just fine on a 256 KB connection, not positively sure about that though . NFS is not hard to setup on Linux platforms, you can download ubuntu for free and give it a shot with a test file, especially one that had problems playing on SMB. Windows based NFS is a different story though, it gets a little weird. ( but once setup initially, that becomes easy too).
terranova's Avatar terranova
03:54 AM Liked: 10
post #638 of 5441
11-30-2011 | Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolala View Post

Anyone know or think there is chance that an alternative theme might provide MPAA RATING on screen in gallery view ?

It was certainly captured from database, but I have not seen any place that shows it thus far (default theme)

if you are manually scraping the metadata using the WDTVHubGen software, the MPAA rating shows up at the beginning of the synopsis text.

yes, it's not a separate header on its own like those of "actor", "director" etc. but at least it's shown within the "synopsis" section. and it works on the default mochi theme, so you dont have to import any external theme for this.

not sure if that's ideal for you ... but there it is. hope that helps.
fpsfreak's Avatar fpsfreak
09:19 PM Liked: 10
post #639 of 5441
11-30-2011 | Posts: 171
does anybody know if the wdtv live streamer or wdtv live plus sort files by date? i save alot of youtube videos to the portable hard drive.on xbmc xbox i always did that but since i gave it away i need something that sorts files by date.i couldnt find the wdtv live plus thread so i thought i post it here too.
WayneJJ's Avatar WayneJJ
11:25 PM Liked: 10
post #640 of 5441
11-30-2011 | Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psxgamer View Post

I do not play much with 3D - just ripping my normal 2D blu-rays (uncompressed) via DVDFAB etc. I have a family member though who ripped a 3D blu-ray (again, via DVDFAB) & tested it succesfully via his Live HUB.
07:05 AM Liked: 35
post #641 of 5441
12-01-2011 | Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJJ View Post

I do not play much with 3D - just ripping my normal 2D blu-rays (uncompressed) via DVDFAB etc. I have a family member though who ripped a 3D blu-ray (again, via DVDFAB) & tested it succesfully via his Live HUB.

Doubtful... Unless he was just ripping it to Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom format.

It is certain the Hub does *Not* play back MVC-format blurays in 3D mode, which is the "native" format of 3D Bluray.

It WILL play them, but it will only be 2D.
aero12's Avatar aero12
11:22 AM Liked: 10
post #642 of 5441
12-01-2011 | Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You will be fine. In the Audio setup screen you have 3 choices: stereo, digital pass-through via HDMI and digital pass-through via optical. You will be able to stream DTS core audio over optical -- HD audio only streams over HDMI. But since the Live-S doesn't support DTS-HD you are not losing anything by using optical.

I am finding that unlike my WDTV Live or live plus, the new Streamer will not output from both HDMI and Optical concurrently.

So I am not so sure the questioner will be fine since your solution involves him, or worse yet a less tech savvy family member, digging down through setup menus on the WD in order to choose sound though the TV or receiver depending on content. This is a problem that as far as I know boxee and asus don't have but that WD has had since breaking this concurrent digital out through both optical and hdmi function about two firmware updates back.

If you call WD tech support they will tell you sound out through both at the same time works fine, but they obviously having updated their tech support talking points because it was broken 6 months ago and never fixed, until then if you had audio set to digital you got sound out to your TV via hdmi and out in digital 5.1, DTS etc to your receiver via optical without having to go deep into setup menus over and over
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
11:42 AM Liked: 464
post #643 of 5441
12-01-2011 | Posts: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero12 View Post

So I am not so sure the questioner will be fine since your solution involves him, or worse yet a less tech savvy family member, digging down through setup menus on the WD in order to choose sound though the TV or receiver depending on content. This is a problem that as far as I know boxee and asus don't have but that WD has had since breaking this concurrent digital out through both optical and hdmi function about two firmware updates back.

While your points about concurrent audio output are valid, if you read the post I responded to, he is not interested in having HDMI audio run to his TV but only interested in digital audio out to his AVR and would have plugged the HDMI into his AVR if he had a free input. He's only plugging HDMI into his TV because that is where the free input is.

I was replying specifically to his post.
Beryus's Avatar Beryus
03:29 AM Liked: 10
post #644 of 5441
12-02-2011 | Posts: 11
Hey,
quick question at this audio topic. Is it possible to have audio output through the analogue connection (composite audio) and video through HDMI?

Thanks.
Beryus
06:45 AM Liked: 35
post #645 of 5441
12-02-2011 | Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryus View Post

Hey,
quick question at this audio topic. Is it possible to have audio output through the analogue connection (composite audio) and video through HDMI?

Thanks.
Beryus

Yes. Set the AUDIO mode to STEREO, and the VIDEO mode to HDMI.
moolala's Avatar moolala
12:36 PM Liked: 10
post #646 of 5441
12-02-2011 | Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post

if you are manually scraping the metadata using the WDTVHubGen software, the MPAA rating shows up at the beginning of the synopsis text.

yes, it's not a separate header on its own like those of "actor", "director" etc. but at least it's shown within the "synopsis" section. and it works on the default mochi theme, so you dont have to import any external theme for this.

ya thx...I have since tried it out with a few folders of stuff...ideally WD should display MPAA Rating with separate header...and then maybe even filter function...and parental controls (sorry...was I talking out loud there ?!?!)
02:10 PM Liked: 35
post #647 of 5441
12-02-2011 | Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggs View Post

...So you are suggesting that I go to my media library on my PC and manually rename each file to match that which is displayed in the episode description on the WD TV device?

@Stiggs: I just noticed on the WD Forum that this guy updated an XML tool that does exactly what you're after... creates the XML in DVD order for you.

Might be useful...

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Li...ht/true#M15477
moolala's Avatar moolala
04:17 PM Liked: 10
post #648 of 5441
12-02-2011 | Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post

ya thx...I have since tried it out with a few folders of stuff...ideally WD should display MPAA Rating with separate header...and then maybe even filter function...and parental controls (sorry...was I talking out loud there ?!?!)
stiggs's Avatar stiggs
10:39 PM Liked: 10
post #649 of 5441
12-02-2011 | Posts: 73
Quote:

@Stiggs: I just noticed on the WD Forum that this guy updated an XML tool that does exactly what you're after... creates the XML in DVD order for you.

Might be useful...

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Li...ht/true#M15477

Thanks. That's nice of you. I'll check it out.
smckean's Avatar smckean
12:24 AM Liked: 10
post #650 of 5441
12-03-2011 | Posts: 258
I just got my WDTV2....love it so far.

When I attempt to play files off a Thumbdrive, all works well if the drive is formatted with either FAT32 or NFTS, but I can't get exFAT to work. Does anyone know is USB Thumbdrives formatted with exFAT are supposed to work??
07:37 AM Liked: 35
post #651 of 5441
12-03-2011 | Posts: 1,076
No, as far as I know, exFAT is not supported.

It's a proprietary and heavily defended Microsoft patent.
powerleakin's Avatar powerleakin
09:57 AM Liked: 10
post #652 of 5441
12-03-2011 | Posts: 58
indexing is painfully slow and takes place at every boot...anyway around this? the media scan function has been turned off but still the same...in my realtek devices, there's no scanning so the device would be immediately ready to use..
10:14 AM Liked: 35
post #653 of 5441
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerleakin View Post

indexing is painfully slow and takes place at every boot...anyway around this? the media scan function has been turned off but still the same...in my realtek devices, there's no scanning so the device would be immediately ready to use..

Well, yeah, don't turn it off. Leave it in Standby.

There's no such function as "Media Scan" so I don't know what you turned off.

If you turn off "MEDIA LIBRARY", then it won't compile the media library.
If you turn "Content Info Collection" to MANUAL, then it won't do the "Getting Content Info" step.
moolala's Avatar moolala
11:19 AM Liked: 10
post #654 of 5441
12-03-2011 | Posts: 175
Quote:

If you turn "Content Info Collection" to MANUAL, then it won't do the "Getting Content Info" step.

Don't quote me on this but if I remember correctly from some of the monkeying around I did earlier in the week.......you can turn Media Library OFF...and if you had already completed all the content info lookups, then you can still display all the jpgs and backdrops in the same fashion...I don't think you will be able to do manual content lookups for individual items though if Media Library is OFF ...it doesn't show up in menu list when you hit options/info(why...I do not fully appreciate, what is dependancy ?!?!) you will also not be able to do the various filters but imo thus far haven't been too useful to me anyway)

hope it helps...if I'm mistaken...sorry.

MOO
powerleakin's Avatar powerleakin
11:27 AM Liked: 10
post #655 of 5441
12-03-2011 | Posts: 58
Quote:

yeah i meant media library. i guess it's meant to be kept on standby then.

be nice if they could allow us to turn off the media aggregate altogether though.
03:20 PM Liked: 35
post #656 of 5441
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerleakin View Post

be nice if they could allow us to turn off the media aggregate altogether though.

You CAN. Turn OFF the Media Library.
grubgrubgrub's Avatar grubgrubgrub
06:57 PM Liked: 10
post #657 of 5441
12-03-2011 | Posts: 11
I'm having an issue with the streaming player. This issue has been popping up where I'll be watching an mkv and suddenly out of nowhere this horribly loud static or beeping noise will pop up and the audio will cut out for a few minutes. This happens while I'm streaming files, one of them had DTS audio and the other had Dolby Digital. I'm using an Onkyo receiver and have my WDTV set to pass audio through the HDMI. Anyone else experiencing this same issue/know how to solve it?
smckean's Avatar smckean
10:52 AM Liked: 10
post #658 of 5441
12-04-2011 | Posts: 258
Quote:

No, as far as I know, exFAT is not supported.

It's a proprietary and heavily defended Microsoft patent.

I'm sure you are correct; however, the patent must not be that heavily defended since I have another unit that does support exFAT. I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player that accepts files on a USB exFAT formatted Thumbdrive. That's what surprised me that the WDTV2 doesn't.
smckean's Avatar smckean
10:57 AM Liked: 10
post #659 of 5441
12-04-2011 | Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubgrubgrub View Post

This issue has been popping up where I'll be watching an mkv and suddenly out of nowhere this horribly loud static or beeping noise will pop up and the audio will cut out for a few minutes.

I too have seen/heard this. I don't play MKV files regularly, so I've only noticed this in passing. However, the MKV files I have are all created in a haphazard way, so in my case it might have to do with the way the contained file was encoded, or perhaps the way the encoded files were encapsulated into the MKV container.
02:25 PM Liked: 35
post #660 of 5441
12-04-2011 | Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by smckean View Post

I'm sure you are correct; however, the patent must not be that heavily defended since I have another unit that does support exFAT. I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player that accepts files on a USB exFAT formatted Thumbdrive. That's what surprised me that the WDTV2 doesn't.

exFAT is possible on that box because that box supports SDXC flash. exFAT is the standard file system for that flash format. Microsoft probably had their hand in that decision, in order to ensure a royalty stream.

Panasonic likely paid royalties to 3D-SC for SDXC support, that includes licenses for exFAT support. The patent / licence disclosure in the manual includes exFAT / SDXC...

..in fact, that format is so tightly controlled that if a user plugs an SDXC card into a computer that doesn't support exFAT and then tries to format it, the SDXC card is converted to SDHC, and all the SDXC features are lost, and one has to use a proprietary application to restore the features.
Tags: Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Subscribe to this Thread