3Likes

post #721 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

I had Hanewin working all evening, but once I shut it down, it would not restart. It seems to be a problem others are having too. I then tried for about two hours to install Truegrid NFS to no avail. I am back on Samba. If you have NFS file sharing up and running, I'd love to hear how you accomplished it. Thanks. I unfortunately have Windows 7 Premium (only Ultimate and Enterprise have built in NFS servers).

Just use SMB (Samba). I use that to connect to my Windows 7 share. In fact, I can attach a 2TB USB drive to my PC, share it and easily access it through the network from my WDTV Live SMP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 AM
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Apples and oranges.

TiVo never sends anything but PCM or DD, and it does not have an AUTO setting. You have it configured in the TiVo setup whether to use DD or not, and if you don't have DD enabled, EVERYTHING is PCM, which both your TV AND AVR will understand. That's the way TiVo has worked since the old DirecTiVo days.

Probably the same thing on your BD player. I've never seen a BD player that does "Auto" for sound... It's always configured for either passthrough, re-encode or decode, but not "Auto."

You're right about the TiVo, but I disagree about the BD player - it's set for pass thru.

If I watch a movie with DTS-HD soundtrack via the BD player my AVR plays that soundtrack, but if I then I switch to listening via my TV I get what I presume is the DD audio track.

If I'm watching the same BD (ripped to MKV) with my WD Live and listening with the AVR I get the same DTS-HD soundtrack, but if I switch to using my TV's audio I hear nothing unless I go to the WD Live setup and force it to re-detect the audio sink's capabilities.

Conversely, if I'm listening via my TV and then switch to use the AVR I have to re-run the WD Live audio setup to get the DTS-HD track.

If it were just me I wouldn't mind because it's no big deal to correct, but since there's 4 other people involved in my family I just configured my remote to always use the AVR when watching the WD Live.
post #723 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post

If I watch a movie with DTS-HD soundtrack via the BD player my AVR plays that soundtrack, but if I then I switch to listening via my TV I get what I presume is the DD audio track.

Even that is perplexing. If you told your BD to "Passthrough", and you selected the DTS-HD soundrack, it should *NEVER* *EVER* "convert" it to Dolby Digital, or select a different sound track.

*EVER*.

Passthrough means exactly that -- send an UNMODIFIED STREAM to the sink. In some cases (like the WD) it might DECODE to PCM, but that's still pretty much unmodified... it's just decoded and decompressed. Going from DTS to DD would be a decode / recode.

I've personally also never come across any BD movies that have both DTS-HD and DD tracks for the main audio.
post #724 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post

How is the BD player hooked up to the TV?

Bill
post #725 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 AM
bk

All sources go through a DVDO Edge which has two HDMI outputs. One for the TV and one for the AVR. Via the Edge you can select which HDMI output is carrying the audio.
post #726 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post

Just use SMB (Samba). I use that to connect to my Windows 7 share. In fact, I can attach a 2TB USB drive to my PC, share it and easily access it through the network from my WDTV Live SMP.

It's super choppy. I have a 640GB Seagate GoFlex portable hard drive. I can connect it to either computer in the house, directly to my router, or to either one of my WDTV SMP's. Samba is sufficient for most file types other than 1080P movies. I've seen several people claim they successfully stream 1080P over an NFS share without choppiness. That's why I would like to add NFS capability to my network (for HD streaming).
post #727 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:

It's super choppy. I have a 640GB Seagate GoFlex portable hard drive. I can connect it to either computer in the house, directly to my router, or to either one of my WDTV SMP's. Samba is sufficient for most file types other than 1080P movies. I've seen several people claim they successfully stream 1080P over an NFS share without choppiness. That's why I would like to add NFS capability to my network (for HD streaming).

I can play 1080p MKV files over 11n wireless through SMB without a problem.
post #728 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

Let me ask a question. Are your devices connected to a 10/100 switch or to a GigE switch. In particular, is the Live-S connected to a GigE switch.

I ask because I have found that if my Live-S and my NAS are connected through a Netgear GigE switch, the Live-S chokes playing full bitrate BD.m2ts files over SMB networking -- no audio and heavy stuttering. If they are connected through a 10/100 switch, the same high bitrate 1080p files play back perfectly. I believe the Live-S has trouble being connected to a GigE switch -- a firmware problem.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #729 of 5087 Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Problem seems to be solved. I tried Twonky and Tversity, and they were worse than Samba, but then I installed Serviio. It takes a long time to build the library, but it's streaming my 1080P's with DTS sound perfectly...knock on wood. Serviio is also FREEEE!

BTW, I am connecting via wifi through a netgear n600 router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Let me ask a question. Are your devices connected to a 10/100 switch or to a GigE switch. In particular, is the Live-S connected to a GigE switch.

I ask because I have found that if my Live-S and my NAS are connected through a Netgear GigE switch, the Live-S chokes playing full bitrate BD.m2ts files over SMB networking -- no audio and heavy stuttering. If they are connected through a 10/100 switch, the same high bitrate 1080p files play back perfectly. I believe the Live-S has trouble being connected to a GigE switch -- a firmware problem.

post #730 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

BTW, I am connecting via wifi through a netgear n600 router.

OK, I guess I interpreted from your post that you were wired.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #731 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 AM

This little WDTV live box with Serviio works so much faster than with Samba or any other media server I've tried. It's like a new device...it's so much more responsive. I have heard a media server called Mezzmo also works really well with the WDTV SMP. Both Twonky and Tversity will work too, but they are glitchy to say the least. MKV over wifi was not watchable.
post #732 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

This little WDTV live box with Serviio works so much faster than with Samba or any other media server I've tried. It's like a new device...it's so much more responsive. I have heard a media server called Mezzmo also works really well with the WDTV SMP. Both Twonky and Tversity will work too, but they are glitchy to say the least. MKV over wifi was not watchable.

TVersity works fine for me, to be fair I haven't tried any of the others though.

Bill
post #733 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:

This little WDTV live box with Serviio works so much faster than with Samba or any other media server I've tried. It's like a new device.

I'm giving Serviio a try. I've been using Linux/Samba over gigE with much success, but this has me intrigued.
post #734 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM

I've had my SMP for only a few weeks. I, too, have experienced choppy video play, when both wired and wireless, Windows7. Is there a buffer in the device? Reason I'm asking is, I realised if I did a lot of jumping around among video files, and FF and RW a bunch, playback started getting choppy. Frustrated, I then plugged in a WD Passport with some of the same videos on it and to my dismay, they played choppy, too. Then I discovered that a device reset restored smooth play, even with wireless. Even FF and RW are a bit smoother. That's why I think there's an (inefficient) buffer that gets choked.
post #735 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

I can play 1080p MKV files over 11n wireless through SMB without a problem.

1080P MKV works flawlessly via the USB port, but it sputters over Samba. I'm wireless though. Although I have a good router.
post #736 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

I'm giving Serviio a try. I've been using Linux/Samba over gigE with much success, but this has me intrigued.

I have a good router with thre gigE ports, but I don't have a gigE cable modem. I have an old but souped up Surfboard 5100. Should I invest in one?
post #737 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:

I have a good router with thre gigE ports, but I don't have a gigE cable modem. I have an old but souped up Surfboard 5100. Should I invest in one?

Nah, no need.. Even gigE is not supported by most TVs, cable/dsl modems and media devices, including WDTV. The wireless is your problem. Just give it a try with a wired connection and you'll see it's night and day.

Also, make sure all your NICs are in Full Duplex mode. Half duplex kills performance like you wouldn't believe. On Linux, you can check with ifconfig and ethtool:

$ ifconfig
p5p1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1Z:2Z:5Z:5Z:6Z
inet addr:192.168.0.191 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21b:21ff:fe59:5b6b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:175041 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:144217 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:162887347 (155.3 MiB) TX bytes:116458180 (111.0 MiB)
Interrupt:16 Memory:febe0000-fec00000

$ ethtool p5p1
Settings for p5p1:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
[snip]
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
post #738 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 07:21 PM

ok so i just got this today.after i updated the fw i played a dvd iso movie and the unit rebooted.after reboot i played the same dvd iso again.i only tested for 3 minutes.the picture seems to looks better than my briteview cinematube 5005.i hope this doesnt have alot of reboots like with the wdtv live plus.the wdtv live plus had way more reboots than the neo tv 550 during the time i tested both of those.i like how the live streamer can sort by date and alphabetically(ascending and descending),which is a huge bonus for me.btw i bought this from staples for 80 smackers after coupon from another website.
post #739 of 5087 Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 PM

You lost me when you got to that part. haha

However, after googling duplex mode, it's a setting only relevant if you are connecting through ethernet, right and is not applicable to wifi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

Nah, no need.. Even gigE is not supported by most TVs, cable/dsl modems and media devices, including WDTV. The wireless is your problem. Just give it a try with a wired connection and you'll see it's night and day.

Also, make sure all your NICs are in Full Duplex mode. Half duplex kills performance like you wouldn't believe. On Linux, you can check with ifconfig and ethtool:

$ ifconfig
p5p1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1Z:2Z:5Z:5Z:6Z
inet addr:192.168.0.191 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21b:21ff:fe59:5b6b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:175041 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:144217 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:162887347 (155.3 MiB) TX bytes:116458180 (111.0 MiB)
Interrupt:16 Memory:febe0000-fec00000

$ ethtool p5p1
Settings for p5p1:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
[snip]
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full

post #740 of 5087 Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

You lost me when you got to that part. haha

However, after googling duplex mode, it's a setting only relevant if you are connecting through ethernet, right and is not applicable to wifi?

Here are the Windows 7 network settings I pulled off the net to improve my SMB file transfer speed. They work great for me, but use them at your own risk. I recommend that you research the settings before implementing, but you can back them out if you have problems by reversing the commands (i.e. disable to enable).

**** Start of post

These are the settings that finally solved my problem. Turn off windows tcp/ip tweaks. Here are my output of "netsh int tcp show global"

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : disabled
Chimney Offload State : disabled
NetDMA State : disabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : disabled
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

turn off receive-side scaling: netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled
turn off chimney: netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled
turn off NetDMA: netsh int tcp set global netdma=disabled
turn off autotuning: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
turn ON congstion control: netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
post #741 of 5087 Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:

1080P MKV works flawlessly via the USB port, but it sputters over Samba. I'm wireless though. Although I have a good router.

Well, I don't have any problems using SMB over wireless (11n). Good router is interpretive as I think most SOHO wireless devices are crap. You don't get into "good" until you spend the money for an enterprise class device (such as Cisco).
post #742 of 5087 Old 12-18-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Well, I don't have any problems using SMB over wireless (11n). Good router is interpretive as I think most SOHO wireless devices are crap. You don't get into "good" until you spend the money for an enterprise class device (such as Cisco).

I have a NetGear N600 WNDR 3700 Router. It had really good reviews. I can play any supported file without hiccups except Full 1080P .mkv over Samba. While I can play 1080P using Serviio media server, I prefer the file browsing capability of Samba. I'm wanting to try the Samba settings linked above, but I have a tendency to break things that aren't broken, and, since adding Serviio, video streaming is working to my satisfaction. The frustrating part is...my router is dual channel, and the 5ghz channel has a setting that stabilizes bandwidth to optimize video playback. Unfortunately, WDTV players can't see 5ghz networks. I wish WD would add that ability in a firmware update, but I suspect it's not possible due to the hardware.
post #743 of 5087 Old 12-18-2011, 01:35 PM

First, I just bought the WD TV Live SMP last week. Right now, until I figure out my server situation, I'm playing movies from an attached external Western Digital 2TB USB drive. I've ripped the Monsters, Inc DVD using DVDFab (as I have with about 150 movies so far). I rip the DVD to ISO (only the movie, subtitles, and audio).

For some reason, the Monsters, Inc is jittery when I play it back on the WD TV Live SMP. I've tried reripping it using DVDFab - same issue.

Here are some things I've tried:

I've ripped it using MakeMKV and it plays fine. Well plays good enough... if you look real close you can see what appears to be some jitter in higher contrast areas, but not noticeable if you weren't looking for it.

I've taken the original ISO rip (the one that plays jittery) and ran it through Handbrake to make an MKV and it plays fine (also reduced the file size from about 4 gigs to 1.5 gigs - I wonder how much quality loss). So far, this has been the best option at "curing the jitter problem". I'm not too familiar with handbrake, so I need to do some reading up on the best settings to use to minimize quality loss.

I've also ripped the DVD (using DVDFab) straight to MKV and it plays fine.

It seems this movie has a problem playing correctly when It's ripped to ISO. Doesn't make any sense to me. I've ripped about 150 movies using the same program (DVDFab), ripping to the same ISO format, etc... and other movies don't have these issues playing back on the WD Live TV SMP

I've tried some other solutions that have been suggested to no avail (turning off media share, tried different hard drive, changing video ouput mode, using paperclip to reset the WD TV Live unit, etc...)

I have noticed that if I turn off "dvd menu" in the video settings, the jitter goes away, but the picture is stretched and squished.

By the way, I'm using the latest firmware that I downloaded last week.

Actually, I have this problem with about 5 other movies too: Alice in Wonderland, Adventures of Pooh, Mulan, Lost Treasure, Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs and a couple of others.

Anyone have any answers or other suggestions? Do you have an issue with this movie or others? I'm at wit's end!!!

TIA!
post #744 of 5087 Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM

If you install hanewin and follow the directions, NFS file sharing will work until you reboot your computer, but then it will not restart. I have Samba and Serviio working, but I'd like to get NFS working too. It's supposed to be our fastest file sharing option.
post #745 of 5087 Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 AM

Really though the bottleneck is the 100Mbit network in the SMP
post #746 of 5087 Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 AM

All I know is...I can play everything the WDLIVE SMP is supposed to play via Samba except 1080P. It freezes.

Using Serviio as a media server, I can play most 1080P movies, but they can still be choppy at times.

I have not been able to test NFS because I can't keep it working. Unfortunately, I'm running Windows 7 Premium 64. Windows 7 Ultimate has a built-in NFS server, but I don't want to upgrade just for that. I found several articles detailing how NFS is a lot faster than the other protocols. In fact, it isn't even close.
post #747 of 5087 Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 AM

I hear ya, I guarantee it's the Samba support on the SMP, it's been affected between firmware updates on the Live and Live + as well. Even with that it'll be fine on some setups and not others. I use FreeNAS, might be worth building yourself a test setup using NFS. Any old PC should be fine for building one and FreeNAS is "free"! Throw some test files on it and test. I suggest 7 but 8 is out. 7 has a longer support history.
post #748 of 5087 Old 12-19-2011, 10:13 AM

well after playing 3 dvd movies(vob files and iso)it seems to play fine.i'm using composite+crt tv.i noticed when i have video option set as widescreen the video fills the tv.when i have it set as normal i can see black bars.i thought it was suppose to be the other way around.you can set any number on the remote as a shortcut to your fav folders.this unit is pretty close to xbmc.the only thing missing is the option to stretch the video from 4:3 to 16:9.if they could add that then they have another customer(my brother)he downloads alot of youtube videos and some of them are 4:3.also some older dvd movies are 4:3 format.so that stretch option would be cool.also forgot to mention.even though this is a crt tv i noticed there was sort of heavy grainy stuff in the background in some scenes(the muppet movie).i remember reading about the wdtv live plus having alot of grainy whenever a movie had a little of grainy.i will do more testing on brother's 51 plasma to see if the grain is more noticable :P
post #749 of 5087 Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 AM

My question is...do I need to create Windows firewall exceptions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutch View Post

I hear ya, I guarantee it's the Samba support on the SMP, it's been affected between firmware updates on the Live and Live + as well. Even with that it'll be fine on some setups and not others. I use FreeNAS, might be worth building yourself a test setup using NFS. Any old PC should be fine for building one and FreeNAS is "free"! Throw some test files on it and test. I suggest 7 but 8 is out. 7 has a longer support history.

post #750 of 5087 Old 12-19-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:

My question is...do I need to create Windows firewall exceptions?

As long as File/Print Sharing is enabled, Windows should automatically add the firewall exception. If you have that disabled then you might want to enable it first.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page