3Likes

post #1171 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

No, you just put the NAS on the wired network. Like Drewkemp says (but even the SMP should be wired if possible). Create your wired network with a Gigabit ethernet switch in the middle if possible.

The USB2 ports on the NAS are there to connect more "dumb" USB HDDs (because you can't fit any more inside). Download the PDF manual to see all the setup options.

If you go back in this thread a couple of pages, we talked about home networking.

OK...I'll read up a little more and read earlier posts again in more depth...meanwhile, thank you both for time and comments.

Upon reading Drew's setup though, I'm concerned that in one instance (his Live Hub) that I need to be able to run ethernet cable from router to my SMP (which I can't easily do)...or in the case of his SMP, would have to use wireless which I prefer not to do....that was why I initially was envisioning straight multi-bay enclosure.

Since my initial earlier post, I came across this blurb that uses an ICY DOCK unit with a WDTV...it's a setup that could work easily enough for me (ideally I'd prefer to not have to be using proprietory trays if possible)...anyhow I'll read more about the potential benefits re NAS unit...thx again

http://www.icydock.com/icy_tip/559_5..._solution.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolala View Post

OK...I'll read up a little more and read earlier posts again in more depth...meanwhile, thank you both for time and comments.

Upon reading Drew's setup though, I'm concerned that in one instance (his Live Hub) that I need to be able to run ethernet cable from router to my SMP (which I can't easily do)...or in the case of his SMP, would have to use wireless which I prefer not to do....that was why I initially was envisioning straight multi-bay enclosure.

Since my initial earlier post, I came across this blurb that uses an ICY DOCK unit with a WDTV...it's a setup that could work easily enough for me (ideally I'd prefer to not have to be using proprietory trays if possible)...anyhow I'll read more about the potential benefits re NAS unit...thx again

http://www.icydock.com/icy_tip/559_5..._solution.html

Yes, if you had a LiveHub, you would want it connected by hard-wire for performance reasons.

The SMP should be connected by hard-wire for increased performance.

It appears the IcyDock is just a fancy external USB multi-HDD unit. For one, it only connects to the SMP by USB2 (all the SMP supports) so it will be kinda slow.

Another dis-advantage is that the SMP would then be central location for storing your files (basically, you are turning it into a LiveHub ... but with slower file access). Not so bad if you only have the one SMP, but what if you get another SMP, or want to play the files from another device on the network. I'm pretty sure it would be better to store the files on a NAS or more centralized and administrate-able location.

And while a think a $200 Synology is better, look a the new WD Live PCS drives. At first, they look like normal USB HDDs ... but they are really small NAS units ... and appear to have dropped the USB interface all together.

Maybe this explaination will help ... Your media is on the actual HDD disc drives. If you put those discs in a "dumb" USB-HDD enclosure ... you need an intelligent device (SMP, PC, whatever) to use them. However, if you put those same discs inside a NAS ... it works as a standalone unit.

post #1173 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Yes, if you had a LiveHub, you would want it connected by hard-wire for performance reasons.

The SMP should be connected by hard-wire for increased performance.

It appears the IcyDock is just a fancy external USB multi-HDD unit. For one, it only connects to the SMP by USB2 (all the SMP supports) so it will be kinda slow.

Another dis-advantage is that the SMP would then be central location for storing your files (basically, you are turning it into a LiveHub ... but with slower file access). Not so bad if you only have the one SMP, but what if you get another SMP, or want to play the files from another device on the network. I'm pretty sure it would be better to store the files on a NAS or more centralized and administrate-able location.

And while a think a $200 Synology is better, look a the new WD Live PCS drives. At first, they look like normal USB HDDs ... but they are really small NAS units ... and appear to have dropped the USB interface all together.

Maybe this explaination will help ... Your media is on the actual HDD disc drives. If you put those discs in a "dumb" USB-HDD enclosure ... you need an intelligent device (SMP, PC, whatever) to use them. However, if you put those same discs inside a NAS ... it works as a standalone unit.

just so we're on the same page...when you mention about the USB 2.0 connection being slower...what is the concern there, it's more than adequate for playback, are you referring to navigation, searches, backdrop displays, etc being more fluid if it were accessed some other way...or what did you mean ??

I'm a little worried too that the SMP would treat multi-bay enclosure with discrete drives just like a hub and not support...is that possible as well.

If I can't run cables to the SMP, I'll see how my wife feels about me relocating my office, router, etc into the livingroom near the couch...haha.

Seriously...I'll take long hard look at what it might take to run some cabling (there are other benefits over and above this)...and I do already have multiple WDTV's throughout, so yes, would be nice to access centrally located, as opposed to maintaining so many external drives on an ongoing basis.

thx...
post #1174 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

I'm a little worried too that the SMP would treat multi-bay enclosure with discrete drives just like a hub and not support...is that possible as well.

The SMP supports USB hubs, so this kind of issue is less likely for enclosures. That is, of course, meaning that it *IS* acting like a standard USB hub.
post #1175 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the SMP is only 100Mbps and the Live Hub is 1Gbps on the wired connection. WD doesn't really say in their documentation, just that it has RJ45 ethernet connection and wifi. I did some digging though and it looks like the SMP is only 100Mbps on the wired connection and my router has lights to indicate the connection speed and showed 100Mbps with the SMP and full Gbps for the Live Hub. Another issue I ran into with wifi on the SMP is that it doesn't recognize the 5Ghz band on my router, when I called support they said my router wasn't supported and they sent a list of like 10 routers that were all 5 yrs old that they do support. It was a bit of a bummer because I had the 5Ghz band set to N only to avoid interference and 5Ghz is generally better performance. However, the only performance issue I've had with using wifi on the SMP is 1 or 2 1080P movies with 20+Mbps bitrate and DTS audio (20GB+ files) would start stuttering a couple times then pausing and resuming would correct it. So depending on what type of media you are watching using the SMP over wifi could be an option if you can't run wires easily like in my situation upstairs.

If you get a USB hard drive you can connect it to the SMP and map it as a network drive on your PC for easy file copying to avoid having to disconnect/reconnect the drive all the time.
post #1176 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, the SMP is 10/100, and the Hub is 10/100/1000, but both actually have comparable networking performance. The Hub's 1-Gig interface really is purely a marketing tactic.

And yes, the 802.11n Built-in interface is 2.4 GHz only.
post #1177 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritimer555 View Post

So my question is what setting do i change to to see the Avatar synopsis etc? is it in the top right of the screen or do i go into settings for video off the main menu?

Just click "change view" in the top right a few times until you have that screen. Or you can go to Setup > Video Settings then change the Browser Display setting to Gallery View. If you don't have the meta data already (ie. synopsis and backdrops) you will have to highlight the movie title, press options on the controller then Get Info.
post #1178 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Yes, the SMP is 10/100, and the Hub is 10/100/1000, but both actually have comparable networking performance. The Hub's 1-Gig interface really is purely a marketing tactic.

And yes, the 802.11n Built-in interface is 2.4 GHz only.

I still had it stutter on the SMP a couple times with a wired connection but have yet to have an issue with the Live Hub using the same files as a test. Seems odd that they would have comparable networking performance if one is 1000mbps and one is 100mbps... I'm guessing those performance tests are bottlenecked somewhere else.. file size, disk speed, router throughput, etc.
post #1179 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Well, depending on what firmware(s) you're comparing, the SMP has a couple of network bugs that aren't present on earlier versions of HUB code, but ARE present in 3.xx code.

The "bottleneck" is the Sigma Processor. While it excels at media rendering, it struggles to do much more than 12-13 megabytes per second of SAMBA data transfer. NFS is notably better, though.
post #1180 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:

The SMP supports USB hubs, so this kind of issue is less likely for enclosures. That is, of course, meaning that it *IS* acting like a standard USB hub.

WOAH...hold the phone a second, we have hub support on SMP ? first ref I've seen about that (I thought the gazillions of others who were so frustrated that the earlier ones dropped support would be shouting in joy)

so...for immediate short-term I can just use hub for connecting 2nd, 3rd large HD ? good to know......although I'm getting all excited about exploring NAS and gigabit switch. speaking of that...if you run CAT6 to umpteen rooms, can you use multiple switches...or you need a different switch with 10,12,16 ports...instead of the typical 8 ports ?? (just curious how centralized some of the cabling may ultimately need to be)

thanks for all the conversation regarding it all...
post #1181 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

just so we're on the same page...when you mention about the USB 2.0 connection being slower...

I don't know of a way to measure disc performance on a SMP ... so I'm talking about generally accessing various HDDs over various interfaces, on my Windows computers and network. When ever I transfer data ... if it involves a USB2 interface, it's always the slowest and creates the largest bottle-neck.

Interfaces (Fastest to slowest)
------------------------------
Internal SATA-3 (600) interface
Internal SATA-2 (300) interface
USB-3
eSata (external SATA 300)
Internal IDE
Gigabit (1000) ethernet to internal SATA-2/3
Firewire
USB-2

Gigabit is actually a networking interface, but with the popularity of NAS, I included it in the list. Even though USB-2 is 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s) ... with it's heavy CPU utilization (on spinning HDDs) ... I have found it's real-world-through-put to be much lower.

post #1182 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...if you run CAT6 to umpteen rooms, can you use multiple switches...or you need a different switch with 10,12,16 ports...instead of the typical 8 ports ?? (just curious how centralized some of the cabling may ultimately need to be)

It's better to have one nice Gigabit switch in the middle of the network, with one CAT cable going to each device (often ends up being multiple runs to each room).

If you must, you can run just one wire to each room, and then put a small Gigabit switch in that room to split it to let's say 5 ports. Well, even if all 5 devices are Gigabit capable, if using all 5 now, each one will only get 1/5 of the bandwidth through-put they are capable of handling ... because there is only one wire (from the main switch) going to that room.

A good compromise it to run, let's say, 3 runs to each room. Put your one Gigabit device on it's own wire. Let the other slower 10/100 devices share a small Gigabit switch in that room, on another wire. You have one more wire to use as needed.

And it's CAT-6a or CAT-6e that you run now-days.

post #1183 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Well, depending on what firmware(s) you're comparing, the SMP has a couple of network bugs that aren't present on earlier versions of HUB code, but ARE present in 3.xx code.

The "bottleneck" is the Sigma Processor. While it excels at media rendering, it struggles to do much more than 12-13 megabytes per second of SAMBA data transfer. NFS is notably better, though.

Interesting... maybe I'll switch to NFS instead of SAMBA if that's the case! Do you know the difference? I did notice that during file transfers I only got about 12MB/s and currently using SAMBA but can switch to NFS. I'll test it out and see what kind of speeds I get.
post #1184 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM

Ok so I configured my NAS to use NFS and connected the WD TV to the NFS share. I monitored the network usage an it went at around 9-12MBps. Weird thing is that it added this @eaDir folder within each sub folder. I'm just going to go back to SAMBA for now since it was working fine for me
post #1185 of 5004 Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM

My current plan for NAS is as follows. Let me state the requirements first.

1. Easy and reliable/available to use. It has to work for both me and my wife.
2. We plan to use this NAS for working with WD TV Live SMP for photo sharing and video sharing (no need for DVD/BD movies).
3. Backup of 3 Windows laptops.

My plan is to get a WD My Book Live for the above 3 purposes. Then on my desktop PC, I already have two external USB hard drives. I plan to use SyncToy to copy/sync weekly the content of WD My Book Live to the first external USB HD. Then copy/sync the content of the first USB HD to the 2nd USB HD.

I think this would be a cost-effective solution to my needs. Comments are welcome.
post #1186 of 5004 Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

well...(sadly)...I can report that the "no sound and then freezes" prob still exists for a great many mp4 files with 6ch AAC audio...and to reiterate all of them played fine on all prior generation models (but never on the SMP)

Is it the same issue as this?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Li...l/idi-p/317349

I've experienced the linked problem on several MP4 files that I encoded myself, none of which have 6-channel AAC. The audio tracks vary: 5.1 AC3, 2.0 AC3, and 2.0 AAC.

At this point I've resorted to using PS3MS->PlayStation 3 streaming for MP4s.
post #1187 of 5004 Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Is it the same issue as this?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Li...l/idi-p/317349

I've experienced the linked problem on several MP4 files that I encoded myself, none of which have 6-channel AAC. The audio tracks vary: 5.1 AC3, 2.0 AC3, and 2.0 AAC.

At this point I've resorted to using PS3MS->PlayStation 3 streaming for MP4s.

I had the same problems with MP4s (none of which I encoded myself). I wrote about it a few pages back.

My solution was to convert to MKV with MKV-Merge-GUI ... quick (no re-encode) and painless ... works fine.

However, you would think it would be fixed my now. Still, it might just be the way the files were created or the tools used.

post #1188 of 5004 Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM

Has anyone successfully added video RSS feeds from any sources? (other than BBC)

As an example, these video RSS feeds work in Google Reader, but the SMP says "Failed. Invalid address. Please try again."

SMP fw: 1.06.04

Some URLs I tried, as an example:
http://www.youtube.com/rss/user/ERB/videos.rss (channel)
http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/p...4A97B69AD3507A (playlist)

And some other free video streaming sites that offer RSS feeds..

Anyone have any success or failures with RSS video feeds?
post #1189 of 5004 Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM

My WD TV Live SMP is running the latest firmware 1.06.04 (1/10/2012). I have my DVD folders on Seagate GoFlex Home NAS connected (GbE) to the Linksys E4200. The WD TV Live SMP has wireless-N connection to the Linksys router. If I play the DVD folder from the USB, it plays perfectly. However, if I play from the network share, I get around 10 seconds of audio then the audio cuts out and the video looks like it is in slow motion. If I pause the video and then start it back up I get about 10 to 15 more seconds before it does it again. I bought the WD TV Live SMP for this one purpose I do hope this issue gets fixed soon. I don't want to convert all of my DVD rips to another format.

Did anyone face similar issue? What was the resolution?
post #1190 of 5004 Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_hat View Post

My WD TV Live SMP is running the latest firmware 1.06.04 (1/10/2012). I have my DVD folders on Seagate GoFlex Home NAS connected (GbE) to the Linksys E4200. The WD TV Live SMP has wireless-N connection to the Linksys router. If I play the DVD folder from the USB, it plays perfectly. However, if I play from the network share, I get around 10 seconds of audio then the audio cuts out and the video looks like it is in slow motion. If I pause the video and then start it back up I get about 10 to 15 more seconds before it does it again. I bought the WD TV Live SMP for this one purpose I do hope this issue gets fixed soon. I don't want to convert all of my DVD rips to another format.

Did anyone face similar issue? What was the resolution?

Try a wired connection and see if it works first.
post #1191 of 5004 Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Quoting Tesla:

Just got thru setting up my network using the cable modem to the ---> NetGear n600, with 2-1 tb Live drives------>to the Dlink 8 port gigabit switch-----> with 5 2-Tb WD My Book Live NAS drives (got the Live's on sale @ Office Max last week for $130 each, were $143 each with % off bag, but mngr gave me a discount per unit for buying 5 of them) and the WD Lives work like a dream !!!..... ALL wired of course with Cat 6 cable. Still moving files over after converting them to format for the IMDB info search. Still have to hook up the SMP tho, but wife wants me to put her West Wing fand a few other TV series on the NAS drives first....... sighs...what we have to go thru after THEY allow us to buy the new "toys"...lol

Thanks to Tesla and the rest for all your help and advice.........

Bill

Rock Chalk Jayhawks KU !!!!!
post #1192 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 AM

I've problem with Mac OS X 10.6.8 and WDTVLive Streaming Media Player. I have connected my external USB hard drive to WDTVLive Streaming Media Player. I can see hard drive in Finder, but I can't create new folders or copy new files to it. So I don't have write access to my USB drive. There is only read access. USB drive model is Buffalo Ministation 500 GB and it is formatted to HFS+ filesystem. I'm using WLAN-connection and it works properly.

I tried also to use my USB memorystick which uses FAT32 filesystem. There is same problem. No write access. When I connect hard drive to my Mac using USB-port there are no problem with write access.

Do you have any solution how to put write access on? What should I do? It would be nice option to use Finder when transferring files to external hard drive instead of connecting it with Mac.

Many thanks of answers!
post #1193 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewkemp View Post

Just click "change view" in the top right a few times until you have that screen. Or you can go to Setup > Video Settings then change the Browser Display setting to Gallery View. If you don't have the meta data already (ie. synopsis and backdrops) you will have to highlight the movie title, press options on the controller then Get Info.

Thanks Drew,

I tried what you suggested and it partly worked. I got to see what was there (which with some files was not much) and the get info option was not visible. At this point I should point out I was accessing my files via either mezzmo, or tversity going thru the files then folders tab. For some reason I am not able to access my files via video or music tabs. Also I have noticed if I am using my portable external hard drive connected via USB that I can access via video or music tabs, and get info does work. So to say I'm confused and frustrated is an understatement.

Its almost like media centre is not logging the files correctly because I'm using mezzmo or tversity.

So I guess my questions are;

Should the wdtv live media centre categorise all my music in music and video in video even if I use tversity or mezzmo?
And should wdtv live allow me to get info , add or change metadata on video and music files when I access file/folders using tversity/mezzmo?

Hopefully I'm using the correct terminology such that you can follow what I'm saying.
I appreciate all your time and patience.
post #1194 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 AM

It seems like i am the only one having this strange problem. JPGs of 6-9MB files look very bad on wd tv live. Any reason why?

Here is my setup:

-QNAP T212
-Twonkeymedia
-Wired connection via power lines
-Pictures taken from Canon T3i are really bad
-I have few 3-5mb jpg files, which are showing correctly
-HDMI connection to TV

Any settings i need to make to look better? All other video formats are running very smooth. So, i dont think size of file matters.

Also, anyway to play .mov files on this player?
post #1195 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Should the wdtv live media centre categorise all my music in music and video in video even if I use tversity or mezzmo?
And should wdtv live allow me to get info , add or change metadata on video and music files when I access file/folders using tversity/mezzmo?

I haven't used my WD TV to connect with tversity or mezzmo so someone else might be able to chime in. I just use network shares that are added to My Media Library. Adding to Media Library is the key to having the Get Info option. If you are able to add tversity or mezzmo to your Media Library you might have the Get Info option but I can't say for sure. Can you just setup some network shares instead of using tversity or mezzmo then add the network shares to your Media Library? This was a feature added in a recent firmware update, version 1.07 I think. Using the WD TV to connect to a media server never made much sense to me since the WD TV is basically a media server on it's own.
post #1196 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Its almost like media centre is not logging the files correctly because I’m using mezzmo or tversity.

I believe that is exactly correct -- Media Center is only for SMB shares. When you go into the setup and select to add a folder to the Media Center, you only have the choice of adding SMB shares. I use both SMB shares for some media and DLNA for other media (DLNA server on my NAS and Mezzmo on a PC). I can only use Media Center for the SMB shares media. I have never been able to get Media Center to pick up a folder over DLNA, only SMB share. When in a folder using DLNA, there is no option to add it to Media Center.

It's kind of a pain. I have the Video tab set to Media Center for my SMB shares and the Files tab set to Media Servers for my DLNA sources.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1197 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewkemp View Post

Using the WD TV to connect to a media server never made much sense to me since the WD TV is basically a media server on it's own.

My family room, where the WD Live-S resides, is connected to the main network on the second floor with a pair of AV500 powerline adapters. The throughput of the PLA network is sufficient for streaming DVD and low bitrate BluRay over SMB shares but not good enough for high bitrate BluRay. Using DLNA protocol I can stream the highest bitrates (40 Mbps) perfectly, without any A/V stuttering or audio loss.

So that's why I use DLNA for all my BD rips.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1198 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

...So that's why I use DLNA for all my BD rips.

Kelson,

Slight tangent here: Would you be willing to give a quick Cliff's Notes of your process for creating BD rips? I've got DVDFab, but never tried a BD rip till now. Any hints on what settings to use for a rip that will play nice with the WDTV?

Thanks,
-Brett.
post #1199 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by konaseema View Post

Also, anyway to play .mov files on this player?

I've got .mov files to play just fine with the "Network Share" option connected to my NAS. These are video files from my iPhone 4S, which are in .mov format.

LH
post #1200 of 5004 Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordhits View Post

I've got .mov files to play just fine with the "Network Share" option connected to my NAS. These are video files from my iPhone 4S, which are in .mov format.

LH

How do i access the shared folder? When i go to settings, network share.. it is giving me couple of options "Samba" and NFS i think.. I am not in front of the device.. but when I select these, it says it cannot find or something.

I want to access share folders from QNAP T212 and Windows 7 machine.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page