AVS Forum banner
844K views 6K replies 635 participants last post by  Kelson 
#1 ·
#1,004 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus /forum/post/21418437

I can play every 1080P .mkv I've tried with no problems completely over wifi if I use my Windows 7 laptop's built-in media server or if I use a third party media server such as Serviio. 1080P works fine with both a Netgear N600 and a Netgear N900 router. The key is...use a media server. Windows network shares (samba) is very glitchy. Likewise, I can play 1080P from local storage through the USB port from my Seagate portable hard drive.

I wonder if the 300mbps issue is related to the gigabit switch issue. The device prefers slower wifi (max 150) and slower ethernet (10/100). These issues would appear similar in nature. The device seems to be flooding and choking under a heavy stream of data.

WHat MS can I use to stream dvd iso's, and BD mkv?

#1,005 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws /forum/post/21416912

No, you're confusing me with someone else who joined our discussion later on. I reported that high bitrate MKVs worked flawlessly over network for me . . . . So I downloaded test files which go up to 90 mbit/s and stuttering started at 50 mbit/s as you reported. I'm still on 100mbit (Fritzbox 7170) so gigabit switches might make a difference. However, the LIVE has 100mbit as well and the CPU is not fast enough for gigabit anyway so probably not.

Yes, sorry. It was WDFan1970 who responded and indicated he was using managed GigE switches.

#1,006 ·
but my wires are hidden. I guess I should just turn off the 5ghz channel on the router and only run the 2.4ghz channel since it's the only channel recognized by my cell phone, game system, etc...

I am using every gigabit outlet on the router (Netgear N900). I hope it can stand up to that.

I tried just about everything to resolve the wifi issues with network shares. Keep in mind though, I never had any trouble streaming even the highest resolutions over wifi using a media server. In fact, using a media server, I never tried any video file that it wouldn't play. The max bit rate setting seemed to have a huge impact on network shares via wifi. I guess it's just a bug that will eventually be ironed out.

Now I'm wanting a more up-to-date Denon amp. The refurbs at Accessories4Less are calling my name. I only have one gigabit cable, the one attached to my WDTV, in that area of the room? Would it be okay to install a little four port gigabit switch there for future projects such as a wired Denon network receiver? I would be going from the modem>router>switch like a couple of folks suggested earlier.

#1,008 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus /forum/post/21420658

Would it be okay to install a little four port gigabit switch there for future projects such as a wired Denon network receiver? I would be going from the modem>router>switch like a couple of folks suggested earlier.

Yes, that it how you create more ports when you have only one wire ... but running more wires is usually better. Depends on the bandwdth useage of all the devices. For example, if you only had a SMP there, and you want to add just the Denon (for firmware updates and maybe a little music streaming) ... then one wire with the switch at the end is likely just fine.

#1,009 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsfreak /forum/post/21420706

i did anonymous and no password,the wdtv unit tells me login error.

It might need a password filled-in (any password).

What version of Windows are you running on the machine where your Shared Folders are located?

If XP, use Simple Sharing and all users have the same permissions (individual users are not defined).

If Vista or Win-7 ... add user group "Everyone" to the list on that share.

#1,010 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 /forum/post/21420766

It might need a password filled-in (any password).

What version of Windows are you running on the machine where your Shared Folders are located?

If XP, use Simple Sharing and all users have the same permissions (individual users are not defined).

If Vista or Win-7 ... add user group "Everyone" to the list on that share.

ok i did "Turning on and turning off Simple File Sharing" and "Level 5: Shared on the network (Read and Write)" from that link i provided.i have windows xp pro sp3.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040#turnonfile

#1,011 ·
#1,014 ·
I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. But I cannot get the WDTV SMP to play 5.1 audio for anything on Netflix.

Episode 1 of The Office, for instance. If I use my PS3, the audio is 5.1 and the voices come out of my center speaker. If I immediately switch over to my WDTV and play the exact same episode, it comes out in 2 channel stereo. I've reset my settings, tried it with three different versions of the firmware now.

Anybody can give me some pointers to figure this out?

EDIT: I guess I didn't try enough titles... Memento is playing in 5.1 here. I guess the Netflix app on the WDTV was just choosing a lower quality audio due to bandwidth analysis or something.

#1,015 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/21420621

Yes, sorry. It was WDFan1970 who responded and indicated he was using managed GigE switches.

No problem. These threads get really huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 /forum/post/21420006

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett93 /forum/post/21419933

People still use 802.11b?

Apparently Techflaws does..

Well, actually I'm not. I'm wired from basement to two floors. When the beta test started, I initially tried out WIFI but it sucked with my router being in the basement so I focused on all the other bugs in the firmware, like subtitle issues.

I only tried this again (this time with an old borrowed laptop in the basement) cause I found the AVI sound bug to be completely illogical. Why would it happen with an AVI but not an MKV with much higher bitrate, and why would it work over media servers (which don't work for me at all) but not over shares? It has to be a bug in the firmware.

I'm still on 100mbit cause it's enough for streaming HD content and AVM usually updates their Fritzboxes with new firmwares years after their initial release, which is one of the reasons why they are so wildly popular in Germany. If I'd ever need Gigabit I'll put a switch in front of it since I won't be getting 50 mbit downstream anytime soon so no need for a new VDSL router.

#1,016 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliderhouserules /forum/post/21421451

I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. But I cannot get the WDTV SMP to play 5.1 audio for anything on Netflix.

EDIT: I guess I didn't try enough titles... Memento is playing in 5.1 here. I guess the Netflix app on the WDTV was just choosing a lower quality audio due to bandwidth analysis or something.

Did you use the pass through mode for the 5.1 audio? How is your sound system connected to the SMP?

#1,017 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett93 /forum/post/21421502

Did you use the pass through mode for the 5.1 audio? How is your sound system connected to the SMP?

Yeah, tonight after I reset settings to default I went in and set it to use passthrough to HDMI and made sure not to change anything else. The Office still played in stereo. The SMP is connected to my Onkyo via HDMI.

It's been a couple weeks since I mucked with it so I don't remember what other titles I tried beyond The Office, but the couple I did try wouldn't play 5.1 either. So I left it alone until now. But on a whim I decided to watch Memento tonight, and lo and behold, it played in 5.1. So all I can figure is the SMP Netflix app was just not pulling down the 5.1 audio stream on some stuff when the PS3 Netflix app would.

The fact that I can't figure out how to rip my blurays so their audio works had me convinced something was wrong and I didn't test extensively enough I guess. I need to do some further testing on that end now and get it all figured out. Ripping just takes a long time so this has been frustrating to work through.

#1,018 ·
slider,

i had the same issue. while on netflix if the streamed film doesn't indicate "HD-5.1" the only audio that works is strero. it's a pain to keep switching audio formats but it's the only to get sound. but the opposite if the film has 5.1 audio. then the optical pass thru words.

#1,020 ·
I am probably one of the very few "newbies" to this group who has actually gone thru the entire thread reading all of your words of wisdom, Thank you all, I have learned alot, but yet there is alot I still do not comprehend. I am not new to computers, or ripping files, but it has been years in between since I have ripped anything. (family health issues)

I am getting back into it, and recently purchased some new equipment to set up and attempt to do what most of you obviously have been doing for yrs. Here is my equipment, old to new, and am trying to learn how to set it up, network it, and get it all configured while waiting for my new SMP to be delivered.

ISP ATT dsl (considering a change to TWC wideband, offered me a deal for 5 times my current speed for $10 a month) w/firewire dsl wireless modem......upgrading to a Netgear 600n DGND3700 dual channel adsl2 router (also cable and uverse ready) already purchased but not installed yet (did I read correctly a GigE switch after the router would take some of the load off the router itself?)

WD 1tb My Book Live NAS, WD My Passport Essential SE 1tb, usb drive(both never used yet)

And of course the SMP that is to be delivered next week.

While not new to computers, ripping, burning, playback on dvd players,etc.... I am new to networking in general. I just want a knowledgeable person (people) to guide me thru the networking of all these new toys I have purchased.

Have numerous Win 7 laptops/desktops running now and just accessing the internet when there is so much more they are capable of doing. Son and daughter are avid torrent collectors/creators and thought this would be a good way to centralize files so everyone could view them. Currently everything I have is virgin territory waiting to be set up.

Anyone willing to tutor an old man trying to fulfill a dream? (by this I mean I have been waiting yrs for a device to do what the SMP claims to do)

Bill

#1,021 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliderhouserules /forum/post/21421586

Yeah, tonight after I reset settings to default I went in and set it to use passthrough to HDMI and made sure not to change anything else. The Office still played in stereo. The SMP is connected to my Onkyo via HDMI.

It's been a couple weeks since I mucked with it so I don't remember what other titles I tried beyond The Office, but the couple I did try wouldn't play 5.1 either. So I left it alone until now. But on a whim I decided to watch Memento tonight, and lo and behold, it played in 5.1. So all I can figure is the SMP Netflix app was just not pulling down the 5.1 audio stream on some stuff when the PS3 Netflix app would.

The fact that I can't figure out how to rip my blurays so their audio works had me convinced something was wrong and I didn't test extensively enough I guess. I need to do some further testing on that end now and get it all figured out. Ripping just takes a long time so this has been frustrating to work through.

Nice troubleshooting you are able to do ... jumping back-and-forth between the SMP and PS3, playing the same video.

It would be interesting to find out exactly how NetFlix determines the quality of the stream. Obviously, a big part of it is all the networking equipment between their servers and your end-point processing devices.

Look back a few pages for some tips on ripping Blu-Rays.

#1,022 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 /forum/post/21420337

WHat MS can I use to stream dvd iso's, and BD mkv?

I don't use dLNA, but I heard Serviio was good. Sony-UK recommends it.

#1,023 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky58 /forum/post/21422807

I am probably one of the very few "newbies" to this group who has actually gone thru the entire thread reading all of your words of wisdom, Thank you all, I have learned alot, but yet there is alot I still do not comprehend. I am not new to computers, or ripping files, but it has been years in between since I have ripped anything. (family health issues)

I am getting back into it, and recently purchased some new equipment to set up and attempt to do what most of you obviously have been doing for yrs. Here is my equipment, old to new, and am trying to learn how to set it up, network it, and get it all configured while waiting for my new SMP to be delivered.

ISP ATT dsl (considering a change to TWC wideband, offered me a deal for 5 times my current speed for $10 a month) w/firewire dsl wireless modem......upgrading to a Netgear 600n DGND3700 dual channel adsl2 router (also cable and uverse ready) already purchased but not installed yet (did I read correctly a GigE switch after the router would take some of the load off the router itself?)

WD 1tb My Book Live NAS, WD My Passport Essential SE 1tb, usb drive(both never used yet)

And of course the SMP that is to be delivered next week.

While not new to computers, ripping, burning, playback on dvd players,etc.... I am new to networking in general. I just want a knowledgeable person (people) to guide me thru the networking of all these new toys I have purchased.

Have numerous Win 7 laptops/desktops running now and just accessing the internet when there is so much more they are capable of doing. Son and daughter are avid torrent collectors/creators and thought this would be a good way to centralize files so everyone could view them. Currently everything I have is virgin territory waiting to be set up.

Anyone willing to tutor an old man trying to fulfill a dream? (by this I mean I have been waiting yrs for a device to do what the SMP claims to do)

Bill

Welcome to AVSForum. It sounds like you have everything you need.

Connect the WD 1tb My Book Live NAS directly to the router with a Cat-6e cable and follow it's setup directions. Put your shared media files here.

Connect Windows clients and SMP units to those shared files and play-away.

To increase the router's available WiFi bandwidth (for machines that MUST stay wireless), run Cat-6e cables to any rooms you can and connect some machines. Ethernet wires are much faster than wireless. You can add ethernet switches when you run out of ports.

I suggest that all networking equipment (especially central modem/ router/ NAS-HDD location) to be connected to a good UPS battery.

You can change and expand your network as your needs change. Don't rely on this thread for all your networking advice ... it's mainly about the SMP. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

#1,024 ·
Appreciate the quick response Tesla.... currently ALL(2) desktops are wired to the firewire dsl modem, laptops(2-3) are wireless, HP photosmart printer is also wireless, daughters xbox has no access, YET. Plan on wiring the SMP when it arrives. Its not a problem for me to go out to Microcenter and get some Cat6 cable to replace the old Cat5 I currently have. (like it has been said earlier, buy the newer Cat6 cable, technology may yet catch up with it...lol)

Another couple of questions if I may, the new Netgear n600 has 2 usb ports on it, if I need more space, which I am sure I will, can I just plug the 1t WD usb drive into the NAS drive? Will the SMP recognize it and find the files on it with it being "piggybacked" onto the NAS drive thru one of the USB ports?

Thanks in advance.....

Bill

Go Big 12 !!! Rock Chalk Jayhawks !!!!

#1,026 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky58 /forum/post/21423752

Another couple of questions if I may, the new Netgear n600 has 2 usb ports on it, if I need more space, which I am sure I will, can I just plug the 1t WD usb drive into the NAS drive? Will the SMP recognize it and find the files on it with it being "piggybacked" onto the NAS drive thru one of the USB ports?

Thanks in advance.....

Bill

The USB ports on that Netgear router do not read & write as fast as the gig ports' can throughput, especially if the NAS/attached USB device to the router uses NTFS, which I believe your NAS does. So for media streaming, it would be better to stick with Tesla's original recommendation of connecting the NAS to the router via the GigEthernet port on your router.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.