*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #1741 of 5447 Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a question related to my NAS and this box. I browse my NAS via videos > media library. In options, its set to update once an hour and to auto get content. However, dropping a new video into the NAS doesn't ever seem to update the library view. I have to click on the actual folder and rescan manually.

I was hoping I could drop content onto the NAS and it would automatically add it to the library and populate the info. Is that possible?

Is this the best was to use a NAS with the WDTV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 5447 Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM

I got my WDLIVE-S a few days ago to replace a HTPC I had made from an old laptop. So far I am very happy with it, as setup was fast, albeit a little confusing, and it's been playing the movies, TV, music and photos I've tested just fine.

But there's one annoying problem which I have not discovered a solution to, despite reading 33 pages of this thread (so far). How do I get rid of the folders I don't want in the various categories, like Videos? When it scanned the laptop I'm using for streaming, it found and shows nearly every folder in the data partition's root directory. I only want Movies and TV shown, but I get Documents, Music, C, D, etc.

Where's the "remove folder" function?

Also, the "compling media library" has been running for 18 hours. Is that normal?
post #1743 of 5447 Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post

I got my WDLIVE-S a few days ago to replace a HTPC I had made from an old laptop. So far I am very happy with it, as setup was fast, albeit a little confusing, and it's been playing the movies, TV, music and photos I've tested just fine.

But there's one annoying problem which I have not discovered a solution to, despite reading 33 pages of this thread (so far). How do I get rid of the folders I don't want in the various categories, like Videos? When it scanned the laptop I'm using for streaming, it found and shows nearly every folder in the data partition's root directory. I only want Movies and TV shown, but I get Documents, Music, C, D, etc.

Where's the "remove folder" function?

Also, the "compling media library" has been running for 18 hours. Is that normal?

First, the media library hangs when it's trying to compile a massive source. I found this out when trying to compile my TV folder; it made it about 70% of the way, then I realized it stopped even though the light was blinking. This next part should fix that.

Before starting the following, I recommend doing a system reset from the settings menu. In a simple button press, this will clear all the junk shares and info that you didn't want.

In order for WDTV to use only your Movies and TV folders as sources, System>Media Libray>Media Libray Manager for Network Share, then select your share type, location, and folder or folders. Once WDTV has added the preferred folders, it will sort your media types.

Once it has finished adding the sources, go back to the home screen and select "Videos." It should then ask what source to use. Furthermore, once in videos, you can press the yellow button and change sources.

This was from memory, so something may be a little off, but I'm quite certain it's correct.
post #1744 of 5447 Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Even though I don't need it right now, you are making me temped to buy a GS108Tv2. It's only $25 more than a GS108.

I've installed a couple of these (at my house and another at brother's house) and they seem to work good. You can get them at the Newegg.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/pro...G-S80G&cat=115

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #1745 of 5447 Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran81 View Post

This was from memory, so something may be a little off, but I'm quite certain it's correct.

And you were. Thanks very much. Following your instructions I cleaned up the mess created when I originally set it up, and the four folders I ended up assigning as my media sources took less than an hour to compile. Then I used the Sort button to further refine the choices for each media type.

What a great little device for less than $100. Digital optical sound will surely be better than the headphone jack out of the old Dell I had been using!
post #1746 of 5447 Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I just bought a WDTV Live, hopefully to get better Netflix quality than I can with my Sony's (a TV and two BD players, limited to 720p and 2.0 audio.)

I've barely got it set up and am just starting to play around with it. If this has already been answered, some links to some FAQ's would help. So far, the only oddball thing I discovered here is that holding down Power for a few seconds puts it into deep sleep.

The main question I have is if it's possible, while streaming Netflix (or maybe other services) to get some information about the datarate, resolution, etc...?

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #1747 of 5447 Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

So far, the only oddball thing I discovered here is that holding down Power for a few seconds puts it into deep sleep.

It's not oddball, it's the difference between standby and power down. With the Live-SMP they introduced a standby mode that starts up very quickly. When you hit the power button you send the unit into standby. If you want to do a full power-down, push and hold the power button until it shuts off.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1748 of 5447 Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Ive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I've installed a couple of these (at my house and another at brother's house) and they seem to work good. You can get them at the Newegg.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/pro...G-S80G&cat=115

That trendnet switch, although good (I have a couple of those) is an unmanaged (dumb) switch. The GS108Tv2 that WDFan1970 and Kelson are referring to is a managed (smart) switch, which allows for more configuration of the switch itself, along with monitoring traffic, etc. (independent of the router).
post #1749 of 5447 Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive View Post

That trendnet switch, although good (I have a couple of those) is an unmanaged (dumb) switch. The GS108Tv2 that WDFan1970 and Kelson are referring to is a managed (smart) switch, which allows for more configuration of the switch itself, along with monitoring traffic, etc. (independent of the router).

Sorry ... I saw GSxxx and figured it was a normal switch.

So, if I was going to get my first managed switch...
1. Do you recommend Netgear or a Trendnet?
2. Then, which model?
3. Will a 8 port work (with other smaller Gigabit switches after it to have enough ports) or, do you really need a 16 port and home-run everything back to it?

Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #1750 of 5447 Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive View Post

Is this it?
If so, reviews are mixed (some pretty bad).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122381

Guess I'll have to read-up on Managed and then what Layer-2 gives you on top of that.

post #1751 of 5447 Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In my ongoing struggle to get my BD to play studder-free as a File Share from my NAS, I ran some experiments. As I noted before my desired setup is to run from my NAS (QNAP TS-219+) through my Gigabit switch (Linksys E3000) to the SMP. Below are plots of the BD movie "Taken" from my NAS's Resource Monitor showing the outgoing data rate of several different setups. First is the NAS (File Sharing) through the E3000 to the SMP. This stutters badly. BTW, the big drop in data rate toward the first is the fade to black between the 20th Century Fox Logo and the actual movie.

Note the erratic data rate as it stutters badly.

Next I replace my Gigabit router with a 10/100 router (Linksys WRT54GS).
This played perfectly.

Note the smooth data rate after the movie gets going at an even higher level than the Gigabit router.

I thought maybe the problem was a dsyfunctional interface between the Gigabit router and the SMP so I decided to place the two routers in series i.e
NAS to Gigabit router to 10/100 router to SMP. The result was unfortunately bad stuttering similar to the Gigabit router alone.

Note the erratic data rate again.

Next I reverse the series placement of the two router placing the 10/100 router at the output of my NAS then on to the Gigabit router. Guess what, I
got no stuttering, perfect play.

Note the smooth data rate again. I was a little surprised at this.

Finally just for reference, I turned off my file sharing and used my NAS's
Media Server (TWONKY) which has always played smoothly going through only the Gigabit router.

As expected it played great and note how the data rate is smooth again.

I am not quite sure what to make of this in determining exactly what is wrong. I was hoping I could "isolate" my SMP with the 10/100 router and
let the rest of my network be higher speed, but it didn't work out. Any thoughts?
post #1752 of 5447 Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I like the graphs. It makes it very clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post

I thought maybe the problem was a dsyfunctional interface between the Gigabit router and the SMP so I decided to place the two routers in series i.e
NAS to Gigabit router to 10/100 router to SMP. The result was unfortunately bad stuttering similar to the Gigabit router alone.

Note the erratic data rate again.

I observed exactly the same effect during my testing when I too tried to isolate the Live-SMP to a 10/100 switch while keeping the NAS units and PC's all on the GigE switch. I thought the stuttering was a little less but still too bad and there was no audio.

Quote:

Next I reverse the series placement of the two router placing the 10/100 router at the output of my NAS then on to the Gigabit router. Guess what, I
got no stuttering, perfect play.

Note the smooth data rate again. I was a little surprised at this.

I never thought to try this. Probably because it would have been a configuration I wasn't interested in. I wanted to keep the GigE devices on the GigE switch.

Quote:

Finally just for reference, I turned off my file sharing and used my NAS's
Media Server (TWONKY) which has always played smoothly going through only the Gigabit router.

As expected it played great and note how the data rate is smooth again.

That is where I am today. All my switches are GigE (GS108's and GS105's - unmanaged). I have the DLNA server active on my NAS unit that stores BD.m2ts files and when I want to stream DLNA from my media PC (not often) I use Mezzmo. Playback has been perfect for BD.m2ts files of all bitrates using DLNA.

These problems with the Live-SMP/GigE switches/SMB shares, are only with high bitrate video files. In addition to BD.m2ts rips, I collect HD/5.1 TV captures from both my TiVo and HD Homerun. After editing out commercials, I save them as .m2ts files and put them on another NAS that only uses SMB shares. The highest bitrate TV shows come from CBS and are 18-19Mbps. The Live-SMP has no problems streaming these HDTV.m2ts files over a GigE network using SMB shares.

It would be great to see these tests run with a managed switch like the GS108Tv2 (which I think has been replaced by the GS108T-200NAS).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1753 of 5447 Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

....GS108Tv2 (which I think has been replaced by the GS108T-200NAS).

I think they're one in the same.

I think GS108Tv2 is the "Product Name" and the GS108T-200NAS is the "Part Number."

NetGear is definitely confusing in this regard...

If you access the GS108T-200 page, the NAS part is omitted. If you then click the SUPPORT page from there, it takes you to the GS108Tv2 page.

... and the Silk-Screening on the chassis itself is just "GS108T"

... and the part number on the label at the bottom is different again!

NetGear is definitely confusing in this regard...
post #1754 of 5447 Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

A question on these issues (I just happened to start reading this.) Is all the cabling that is trying to handle gigabit speeds Cat6 or at least Cat5e?

post #1755 of 5447 Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

A question on these issues (I just happened to start reading this.) Is all the cabling that is trying to handle gigabit speeds Cat6 or at least Cat5e?

Well, in my case it is all CAT-6.

- kelson h

post #1756 of 5447 Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Technobabble warning:

The IEEE 802.3ab standard (Gig Ethernet) requires "Category 5" cabling.

... but the Category 5 standard was suspended after the 802.3ab standard was ratified, and superseded by Category 5e standard.

So category 5e is, effectively, the minimum required. But if you can find Cat5, it's OK, too.

Nowadays, Cat 6 is cheaper than Cat 5e, because it's being made in larger and larger volumes...
post #1757 of 5447 Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Is there no way to set up a playlist of videos on this device?
I hate having to select the next video when my son is watching TV after every video.
I'd rather just have a playlist so it can play several videos in a row.
post #1758 of 5447 Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

So category 5e is, effectively, the minimum required. But if you can find Cat5, it's OK, too.

When I was shopping for cables they told me there were no 5e cables anymore because they dropped the name. So they might be 5e but still called 5. Maybe they were just trying to upsell, I bought a Cat6

Quote:

I wanted to keep the GigE devices on the GigE switch.

Someone on the German forums suggested it also might be an issue of Jumbo frames used by the switch being not supported by the WDTV.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #1759 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

Someone on the German forums suggested it also might be an issue of Jumbo frames used by the switch being not supported by the WDTV.

AFAIK jumbo frames can be supported by the switch but it is the transmitting receiving devices that originate the jumbo frames. I have jumbo frames disabled on all my GigE devices so it is not an issue here.

- kelson h

post #1760 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post

Is there no way to set up a playlist of videos on this device?
I hate having to select the next video when my son is watching TV after every video.
I'd rather just have a playlist so it can play several videos in a row.

You can't set up playlists ON the device, but it will do video playlists created on your PC.

But, to do what you're talking about, it's far easier just to press PLAY on the first video (instead of OK); it will play that video, and then play all remaining videos in the folder without intervention.

Quote:

AFAIK jumbo frames can be supported by the switch but it is the transmitting receiving devices that originate the jumbo frames. I have jumbo frames disabled on all my GigE devices so it is not an issue here.

Kelson's conclusion is correct.

But on that subject: there is *SO MUCH* incorrect hype circulating on the internet regarding jumbo frames being a panacea for so many issues...

Jumbo Frames are a HUGE mistake in most cases. If you enable Jumbo frames on ONE device in your network, you *MUST* enable them on *EVERY* device in your IP subnet.

And since one cannot enable them on the WDs, that means you SHOULD NEVER enable jumbo frames on ANY device in the same network.
post #1761 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:

but it will do video playlists created on your PC.

What format should the playlist be in?

Living Room: Samsung Series 5 46", Sky+ HD, WD TV Live SMP, Pioneer NS-DV55, Wii U, Harmony Touch
Games Room: Sony 40", Xbox One, Xbox 360, Gaming PC
Dining Room: LG 22", Humax HDR-Fox T2 1TB
post #1762 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

You can't set up playlists ON the device, but it will do video playlists created on your PC.

But, to do what you're talking about, it's far easier just to press PLAY on the first video (instead of OK); it will play that video, and then play all remaining videos in the folder without intervention.

Oh, I didn't know that. Will give that a try when I get home.
Thanks.
post #1763 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevek View Post

What format should the playlist be in?

I use M3U; it's really just simply a list of files in a text file; like this:

A few lines from a file called "Star Trek Enterprise Random Episode.m3u"

Code:
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 1/125- Two Days and Two Nights.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 4/411- Observer Effect.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 1/103- Fight or Flight.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 3/317- Hatchery.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 2/212- The Catwalk.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 2/213- Dawn.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 2/204- Dead Stop.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 2/211- Precious Cargo.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 1/120- Oasis.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 3/312- Chosen Realm.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 4/413- United.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 4/414- The Aenar.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 1/118- Rogue Planet.mkv
../Z-MKVs/Star Trek Enterprise/Season 3/301- The Xindi.mkv
... note, the playlist must use RELATIVE locations, not ABSOLUTE paths.

The playlist file must be in the same SHARE as the files to which it points (if you're using a network share...)

..etc
post #1764 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post

I tested some more last night and actually I am having no problems with the mp4 files. The problem file is an mkv I made the other day from a blu-ray using the latest Handbrake. It just displays a black screen and then causes the WD to be unable to play any videos after I try to play that one. Someone on the WD's own forum had the same problem but said he could play mkv files from the previous release of handbrake. I don't have any like that for a direct comparison. I do have an mkv made using makemkv that is uncompressed. I was able to play it but it stutters every few seconds. That is probably because of wifi, so I will try it hardwired tonight.

Here's the reason for the problems when encoding with the latest version of Handbrake.

by Tinwarble 2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Options

Ok guys, I found the problem. This issue is that Handbrake 0.9.6 uses libmkv 0.6.5 for it's writing library as were Handbrake 0.9.5 uses libmkv 0.6.4.1.

The problem is that the SMP can't handle, for some reason because the HUB can, the "libmkv 0.6.5" writing library.

So here's the simplest solution, with out having to re-encode your videos. Just run them through MKVMerge, takes a few minutes depending on your file size, which uses the "libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0" library and the SMP doesn't have trouble playing.
post #1765 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh. Interesting. So is the bug with Handbrake or WD?
post #1766 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:

I use M3U; it's really just simply a list of files in a text file;

Awesome! Many thanks...

I think I'll have a go at writing some sort of util which generates these...

Living Room: Samsung Series 5 46", Sky+ HD, WD TV Live SMP, Pioneer NS-DV55, Wii U, Harmony Touch
Games Room: Sony 40", Xbox One, Xbox 360, Gaming PC
Dining Room: LG 22", Humax HDR-Fox T2 1TB
post #1767 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Huh. Interesting. So is the bug with Handbrake or WD?

The bug is with the WD SMP. I don't have any problems playing the MKV files encoded with Handbrake 0.9.6 on my WDTV Live or WDTV Live Plus.

I was really hoping for a fix in the last firmware update, but no luck
post #1768 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm setting up my universal remote to control my WDTV. The remote is a JP1 based remote. I did get a basic upgrade to add to my remote. But, it's really no different than the main remote.

Are there any known extra codes for features like discrete on/off, or a separate play and pause? It doesn't have to be for a JP1, but some other formats may be convertible to find the code.

post #1769 of 5447 Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Hi,

I just bought the WD TV Live SMP and was wondering if there's a way to watch web video content from wd tv?

Such as video on this link ==> http://www.mysoju.com/korean-drama/hero-ocn/episode-5/

I tried reading on wdtvlive.net and wdlxtv, but i can't understand what they are doing... they talk about SVN and provides codes, but don't know where to plug those codes in.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
post #1770 of 5447 Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 AM

I was wondering if one of you could help me?

I have spent the last couple of nights trying to get my WD TV SMP to compile its Media Library from my network share, it either states network problem or network share is read-only.

Setup:

Windows 7 64 bit - media on a variety of internal drives
Sagemon ADSL modem/router (thanks Sky)
WD TV SMP

Both computer and WD SMP wired to router.

Network is "home" on computer. I have changed the advanced network sharing settings as described elsewhere (discovery on, streaming off, passwords required off, let windows manage homegroup off, etc). The folders I want to share have been shared through properties - advanced - sharing. The security for user "Everyone" has been left wide open (full access) for now while I test. The WD SMP should have read/write access.

I can connect to windows network share on the player, see all my folders and files and access/play them with out problem. I can even add these folders to the Media Library, however, whenever I try to get the player to compile the media library it either says network share is read-only or network problem (usually read-only).

The .wdtv folder is appearing in my shared media folders and it is creating files so it seems to have write access but for whatever reason it is not completing the process.

I am slightly put off by having to grant write access to my network share (fear of wife, children or player bug deleting my media) but am starting to get over it. Any thoughts please.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page