Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A.C. Ryan Veolo - Smart Android Hub for TV

Here is the Press Release:
http://www.acryan.com/press/release/view/28/

Features
•Internet TV web browser, with HTML5, Adobe Flash & Chrome V8 JavaScript support
•Apps and Widgets via AndroidPIT
•Full HD Network Media Streamer, with the most format support
•VEOLO 3-in-1 Remote Control, incl. QWERTY keyboard and wireless pointer
•Gigabit 10/100/1000Mbps wired LAN and Built-in wireless 802.11 b/g/n

Hardware
Hisilicon Hi3716C 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 with Floating Point Unit
•JAVA Hardware Acceleration
Graphics Vivante GC800 GPU 3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration Engine with OpenGL ES support
•512MB DDR3 Memory
•4GB NAND Flash Memory for OS and Apps installation

Operating System
•Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Video Output
•HDMI 1.3

Video Resolution/Aspect
•PAL / NTSC / 480p / 576p / 720p 50Hz / 720p 60Hz / 1080i 50Hz / 1080i 60Hz / 1080p 50Hz / 1080p 60Hz
•4:3/16:9 Aspect Ratio

Audio Output
•Composite L/R Stereo / HDMI / SPDIF Optical

USB
•2x USB2.0 Host

Memory Cards
•SD/SDHC up to 32GB

File Systems
•FAT32 / NTFS

Ethernet (Wired/Wireless)
•Wired Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
•Built-in Wireless 802.11 b/g/n

Network Protocols
•SAMBA Client / SAMBA Server / NFS Client / FTP Client

Audio Codec/Formats
•Dolby Digital downmix to stereo and 5.1 pass-through
•DTS downmix to stereo and 5.1 pass-through
•AAC / FLAC / MKA / MP3 / OGG / WAV / WMA / MPEG 1/2/4 / MP2 / M4A RA-COOK / RA-Lossless / DRA / RealAudio 4/5/6/8/9/10 / TTA / AC3 / APE

Video Codec
•DivX3 / Xvid / H.263 / H.264 (MPEG4 P10, AVC, x264) / VC-1 (WMV9, WVC1)
•VP6 / RealVideo 8/9/10 (RV30, RV40) / x264 / DIV2 / AVS / SVQ1 / SVQ3
•RV10 / RV20 / MPEG 1/2/4 (DivX 4/5/6, Xvid, MPEG4Visual) / MSMPEG4V1
•MSMPEG4V2 / WMV1(WMV7) / WMV2(WMV8)

Video Formats
•ASF / AVI / DAT / FLV / M2T / M2TS / MKV / MOV / MP4 / MPG / MPEG / RM RMVB / TP / TRP / TS / VOD / WMV / MTS / M1V / M2V / M4V / 3GP / F4V M2P / 3G2

Image Formats
•BMP / GIF / JPG / JPEG / PNG

OSD Languages
•English / German / Dutch / Czech / Danish / French / Greek / Italian / Japanese / Norwegian (Bokmål) / Polish / Portuguese / Portuguese (Brazil) / Russian / Simplified Chinese / Spanish / Spanish (United States) / Swedish / Traditional Chinese / Turkish

Subtitle Formats
•ASS / SSA / IDX+SUB / PGS / SMI / SRT / SUB

Subtitle Encoding
•Unicode / Western European / Eastern European / Simplified Chinese

Subtitle Features
•Multiple Subtitle Switch
•Subtitle Positioning
•Subtitle Size adjustment
•Subtitle Time Sync adjustment

Package Includes
•HDMI 1.3 Cable
•VEOLO 3-in-1 Remote Control
•2x AAA Batteries
•DC-In 5V Power Adapter
•Quick Start Guide

They have officially scrapped their AC Ryan FLUXX player announced back in CES 2011 Las Vegas = Vaporware?

The AC Ryan Veolo is expected to ship in November 2011.

Cheers!

Cameron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Interesting... from the pics on their site, it looks very Boxee like. Do you see anything about whether this supports hd audio?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 26 Old 10-07-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Interesting... from the pics on their site, it looks very Boxee like. Do you see anything about whether this supports hd audio?

From the specifications - it shows Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 with both downmixing and bitstreaming...

I'm trying to figure out which ARM Cortex-9 chipset are they using...

Only the Remote is boxee like... the founder of boxee forgot to patent it and now its available for general use...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #4 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This replaces the Fluxx which won't be sold.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post

This replaces the Fluxx which won't be sold.

Yeah... I found that out when I was searching for updates for the Fluxx...

The Suggested Retail Price for VEOLO is: 199.90 (US$ 279)

Cheers!

Cameron
post #6 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Can someone who understands these things please comment on whether or not this is better than the no longer possible Fluxx it replaces. Is the chipset better, or as good?
post #7 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post

From the specifications - it shows Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 with both downmixing and bitstreaming...

Yeah, hard to tell what that means, could be just core DTS and DD they are talking about, not HD Audio. If I recall from the original AC Ryan they were a bit misleading with their HD Audio bitstreaming terminology. I actually questioned them on it and they did clear it up. I wouldn't assume anything.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #8 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
After perusing the web site, I noticed no mention of ISO, Blu-Ray or even DVD.

Would this indicate that there is no DVD or BR support? Or am I missing something? For a device above $200, I find it hard to fathom that it won't play my local media.

(No, I don't consider playing individual VOBs as playing my local media: too little WAF.)
post #9 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

After perusing the web site, I noticed no mention of ISO, Blu-Ray or even DVD.

Would this indicate that there is no DVD or BR support? Or am I missing something? For a device above $200, I find it hard to fathom that it won't play my local media.

(No, I don't consider playing individual VOBs as playing my local media: too little WAF.)

From my understanding of ARM processors - it cannot playback any ISO files at the moment... My cell phone has dual core ARM Cortex-A9 (Nvidia Tegra 2)... it depends on the middleware development and video player they are using... ARM processors at the moment, still young in the media player scene, obviously doesn't have the comprehensive file codec support as Sigmas and RealTek SoC players...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #10 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post

Can someone who understands these things please comment on whether or not this is better than the no longer possible Fluxx it replaces. Is the chipset better, or as good?

The Veleo uses an ARM Cortex-A9 with GPU - similar to what is being used in Tablets and Smart Phones...

The FLUXX was supposed to use an Intel CE 4100 - which is essentially an Intel Atom chipset good for file codec support, but heats up alot... and not really that powerful for 1080 playback...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #11 of 26 Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Cameron,
Quote:

From my understanding of ARM processors - it cannot playback any ISO files at the moment... My cell phone has dual core ARM Cortex-A9 (Nvidia Tegra 2)... it depends on the middleware development and video player they are using... ARM processors at the moment, still young in the media player scene, obviously doesn't have the comprehensive file codec support as Sigmas and RealTek SoC players...

I suppose you are correct, but it surprises me.

Two of my old media players are ARM-based (Sigma EM8511, using the 200mHz PT100 ARM) and handle DVD menus fine. The ISO support is marginal, but that's a network-speed issue. However, that firmware would belong to Sigma.

As you said, what is needed is middle-ware, with ISO support being file system firmware and DVD menu support being IFO parsing firmware. It should be a simple recompile of existing code for the appropriate target processor. But I guess their priorities are elsewhere.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Cameron,

I suppose you are correct, but it surprises me.

Two of my old media players are ARM-based (Sigma EM8511, using the 200mHz PT100 ARM) and handle DVD menus fine. The ISO support is marginal, but that's a network-speed issue. However, that firmware would belong to Sigma.

As you said, what is needed is middle-ware, with ISO support being file system firmware and DVD menu support being IFO parsing firmware. It should be a simple recompile of existing code for the appropriate target processor. But I guess their priorities are elsewhere.

It depends on the SDK available for the chipsets too... if its not in the SDK they can't get it to work...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #13 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Veleo uses an ARM Cortex-A9 with GPU - similar to what is being used in Tablets and Smart Phones...

The FLUXX was supposed to use an Intel CE 4100 - which is essentially an Intel Atom chipset good for file codec support, but heats up alot... and not really that powerful for 1080 playback...

Isn't that the same chip Boxee Box uses? If so why isn't it good for 1080p playback? The Boxee Box has no issues with 1080p playback

Cheers,
Damian

post #14 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Isn't that the same chip Boxee Box uses? If so why isn't it good for 1080p playback? The Boxee Box has no issues with 1080p playback

Ooops... my apologies for the wrong impression. It can playback 1080 and have no issues... what I ment to say is that it is not as powerful/effective compared to other SoCs... Intel is currently working on a newer improved chipset versions to compete in the Tablet, mobile phones, and media player market - currently we don't see much x86 chipets in those sectors... I think only the Boxee Box by D-Link, Iomega Boxee Box, and GoogleTV uses it... When I had the boxee box, I had issues streaming high bitrate 1080p with HD Audio MKV files and Blu-Ray ISO files larger than 25GB = constant studdering and buffering...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #15 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 02:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Ooops... my apologies for the wrong impression. It can playback 1080 and have no issues... what I ment to say is that it is not as powerful/effective compared to other SoCs... Intel is currently working on a newer improved chipset versions to compete in the Tablet, mobile phones, and media player market - currently we don't much x86 chipets in those sectors... I think only the Boxee Box by D-Link, Iomega Boxee Box, and GoogleTV uses it... When I had the boxee box, I had issues streaming high bitrate 1080p with HD Audio MKV files and Blu-Ray ISO files larger than 25GB = constant studdering and buffering...

The stuttering/buffering issues are not due to the Intel chip being insufficient but instead fw related issues

I do worry that these companies will focus on an Android type ecosystem and put local content playback as secondary.

I honestly have no desire to have Android in its current form in a media player. Are there even apps that are designed for big screen operation???

Cheers,
Damian

post #16 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

The stuttering/buffering issues are not due to the Intel chip being insufficient but instead fw related issues

I do worry that these companies will focus on an Android type ecosystem and put local content playback as secondary.

I honestly have no desire to have Android in its current form in a media player. Are there even apps that are designed for big screen operation???

From my understanding for local playback it depends on the chipset, SDK, or Neon Instruction code...

For Android Apps from what I've seen being installed in these android boxes are more for smart phones and may require them to be hacked to work - some works okay for the big screen... but ultimately these media player brands may need to develop their own Android Apps and market place to make it work properly on a media player and big screen...

right now for local playback they have a lot of catching up to do to be on par with Sigma and Realtek...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #17 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 03:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From my understanding for local playback it depends on the chipset, SDK, or Neon Instruction code...

For Android Apps from what I've seen being installed in these android boxes are more for smart phones and may require them to be hacked to work - some works okay for the big screen... but ultimately these media player brands may need to develop their own Android Apps and market place to make it work properly on a media player and big screen...

right now for local playback they have a lot of catching up to do to be on par with Sigma and Realtek...

Completely agreed. My guess it won't be until the Android App developers fully adopt the whole TV experience that you won't see this optimized. Obviously GoogleTV was supposed to be at the forefront of this but we all know how that turned out...

I will stick with my Sigma players for the time being (with a little bit of Realtek sprinkled in!)

Cheers,
Damian

post #18 of 26 Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM

There was an entry on the Ryan forum saying it should be available through online retailers 11/8.
post #19 of 26 Old 11-17-2011, 09:58 AM

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ac-ry...cl-qwerty-keyb

For sale in the UK 150 #s without VAT
post #20 of 26 Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM

post #21 of 26 Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There's not much in the way of jukeboxes for Android
* Mizzu TV only works with Android 3.x (Veolo is 2.x)

* QVIVO will only work with Android 3.x (not available yet)

* Plex will work with Android 2.x and only works with wireless, wont work with ethernet.

* Ellion another network media player maker in Germany have their own jukebox works on Android 2.x, oddly enough it looks like they put a lot of work in it even more than AC Ryan did with Veolo.

Android hardware acceleration for video is very fragmented from my basic understanding, there doesn't appear to be a unified interface that any application can tap into. The underlying hardware must be tied into the stock system player, if app x, y or z doesn't use the system media player for playback then no hardware acceleration.

There appear to be one or two media players on Android app store with support for other chipsets through some sort of workaround, maybe it's gotten better with Android 4.x hopefully.

I've used a few Android boxes and the Veolo is one of the better looking ones compared to the Geniatech/Rockchip/Generic black box Android players.
post #22 of 26 Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote from Arne @ AC Ryan on AVForums:

The VEOLO uses a Hisilicon Hi3716C chipset with a 1GHz Cortex A9 CPU and a 3d Graphics Vivante GC800 GPU. It has 512mb RAM and 4gb of internal NAND memory.
For reference see: http://www.hisilicon.com/ and http://www.vivantecorp.com/p_mvr.html#GC800 and of course www.arm.com

Cheers!

Cameron
post #23 of 26 Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM

So nobody got one of these during the holidays, eh?
post #24 of 26 Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM

I finally bought a Roku 2xs to play with. My interest in AC Ryan has diminished. It could be revived though.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Is the remote backlit on the Veolo? Seems like a neat remote with the motion and location capabilities. I don't understand why Plex would only work in a wireless way. Works fine from the Logitech Revue using either wired or wireless.

The reviews on this unit seem to be really mixed. Some very bad and some very good. Is there some limitation imposed by only having Android 2.2?

Philip
post #26 of 26 Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Is the remote backlit on the Veolo? Seems like a neat remote with the motion and location capabilities. I don't understand why Plex would only work in a wireless way. Works fine from the Logitech Revue using either wired or wireless.

The reviews on this unit seem to be really mixed. Some very bad and some very good. Is there some limitation imposed by only having Android 2.2?

Philip

No the main issue is the ARM chips/android players are new and suffer lots of issues they are not up to par as the sigma/realtek based stuff, So depending on your content they work really well or really bad.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page