new AppleTV 3 & Siri - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 133 Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Is anyone really denying that Apple will move into 1080p territory with the next edition media streamer?

Of course they will eventually move to 1080p when it makes sense from many perspectives. The ATV2 is in many ways a accessory to an iDevice. So you need AirPlay working properly at 1080p. I don't see that happening anytime soon. You also need 1080p content from the iTunes store which is apparently in the works.

The ATV2 does not exist in a vacuum. It is part of a digital media wireless solution. From that perspective 1080p is just not a priority.

You might be waiting a year for what you are after. All I can say is that an iPad2 and an ATV2 is really spectacular in the way screen mirroring works over AirPlay. Anything you can show on the iPad appears on your TV. That is no small feat. Apple is not going to change the ATV2 just to compete with the dedicated media players and the reason is because it is not a general media player.

If playing back local content is what you want from a media player than there are plenty of great players to choose from. There is only one that works seamlessly with iDevices. Decide what you want.

If I had a lot of 1080p mkv's I wouldn't think twice about an ATV2. For that matter if playing back mkv files is your thing look elsewhere. How many times do we keep having to say the same thing!? I love my ATV2's, but I am also aware that they are not very good general media players.

philip
pmcd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 133 Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Newbie
 
morphy.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In other words, don't poke those living comfortably inside their iBubble .
morphy.ca is offline  
post #33 of 133 Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
bowmah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

If I had a lot of 1080p mkv's I wouldn't think twice about an ATV2.

ATV2 plays mkv files natively? Do share a link.
bowmah is offline  
post #34 of 133 Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avf5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
article (cnet) click here
avf5 is offline  
post #35 of 133 Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

ATV2 plays mkv files natively? Do share a link.

No it doesn't which is why if playing mkv's were what I mainly wanted to do I would look for another player.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #36 of 133 Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avf5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
NYT: Apple's TV is Coming in 2013 and Will Have Siri Instead of a Remote.

article click here
avf5 is offline  
post #37 of 133 Old 10-29-2011, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

NYT: Apple's TV is Coming in 2013 and Will Have Siri Instead of a Remote.

article click here

2013? 2 years is forever in the media player world. This is truly all just fluff.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #38 of 133 Old 10-29-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MarkHotchkiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

2 years is forever in the media player world.

But, sometimes, forever is how long it takes.

From when it was announced, how long did we wait for Boxee Box? And then how much longer did we wait for them to get the firmware working? (I know, rhetorical question.)

Apple hasn't announced it yet, but when they do, the release date will be firm. And when it does go on sale, it will work correctly the first day. (It has to - there will be 10,000 lined up to buy it.)
MarkHotchkiss is offline  
post #39 of 133 Old 10-30-2011, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

But, sometimes, forever is how long it takes.

[ ]

Apple hasn't announced it yet, but when they do, the release date will be firm. And when it does go on sale, it will work correctly the first day. (It has to - there will be 10,000 lined up to buy it.)

I just don't feel these are even reasonable rumours. I agree that it would work. The TV world is too fragmented. In any case I continue to think that 80%+ of these players wouldn't exist without piracy.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #40 of 133 Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avf5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Next-generation Apple TV3 has reached codename stage. (codename J33)

article click here
avf5 is offline  
post #41 of 133 Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avf5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ATV3 w/Bluetooth 4.0 Remote Control & Siri!

article click here
avf5 is offline  
post #42 of 133 Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
bowmah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any ETA on ATV3 to his the store shelves?
bowmah is offline  
post #43 of 133 Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Any ETA on ATV3 to his the store shelves?

It doesn't exist. As rumours go this one is just strange. People are making these things up at random. 1080p will arrive when it can be reliably streamed wirelessly.The ATV makes no sense in a vacuum. I'd believe the integrated TV rumours before this.

Finding hints in code means nothing.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #44 of 133 Old 12-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
bowmah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

It doesn't exist. As rumours go this one is just strange. People are making these things up at random. 1080p will arrive when it can be reliably streamed wirelessly.The ATV makes no sense in a vacuum. I'd believe the integrated TV rumours before this.

Finding hints in code means nothing.

philip

Now you are assuming ATV3 = 1080p. Regardless, with a good N connection at 5GHz, streaming 1080p works well if you have a good router. Technology is here, it's just a matter of time for ATV3 to hit the shelves.
bowmah is offline  
post #45 of 133 Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avf5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
iOS Apps on ATV2 – would the ATV3 support it?

Article Click here ……

-----------------------------------

Apple May Change TV Forever

Article Click here ……

-----------------------------------

How Apple could shake up TV: A la carte channels

Article Click here ……

--------------------------------------

Apple looks to offer television subscribers customized channel lineups

Article Click here ……





Cheers!
avf5 is offline  
post #46 of 133 Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

iOS Apps on ATV2 – would the ATV3 support it?

Article Click here ……


-----------------------------------

Apple May Change TV Forever

Article Click here ……


Cheers!

Still think this doesn't even rank as a rumour. 32 and 37" 's would be a joke. Even I wouldn't touch them.

There is very little money in TV sales. Content is what would help a lot. Sony has content and they are building an interesting group of products that work well. Apple does not have anything like a PS3 or XBox Kinect or MediaRoom. They are just not in the TV world at all, except for AirPlay. People will not buy a TV with the ATV2 built in. There is just no content.

I just don't feel Apple gets the living room.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #47 of 133 Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lsarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

32 and 37" 's would be a joke. Even I wouldn't touch them.
. . .
I just don't feel Apple gets the living room.

philip

I agree. Maybe the bathroom?
lsarver is offline  
post #48 of 133 Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If apple tv has a la cart channel choice I will ditch DTV go to apple proving tv channels too
zoro is offline  
post #49 of 133 Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post


Still think this doesn't even rank as a rumour. 32 and 37" 's would be a joke. Even I wouldn't touch them.

There is very little money in TV sales. Content is what would help a lot. Sony has content and they are building an interesting group of products that work well. Apple does not have anything like a PS3 or XBox Kinect or MediaRoom. They are just not in the TV world at all, except for AirPlay. People will not buy a TV with the ATV2 built in. There is just no content.

I just don't feel Apple gets the living room.

philip

Best to remember that the links are mostly based on speculation so.........

As to Apple getting the living room, I wouldn't worry and I don't think Apple worries either. Can you remember the last item Apple brought to market a product that failed?
mayhem13 is offline  
post #50 of 133 Old 01-02-2012, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Best to remember that the links are mostly based on speculation so.........

As to Apple getting the living room, I wouldn't worry and I don't think Apple worries either. Can you remember the last item Apple brought to market a product that failed?

I quite like my ATV2 with my iDevices. Really nice. AirPlay is great and nothing else comes close in the category. I was really thinking of the TV rumours. Nothing Apple has done is aimed in that direction. Microsoft has been supply the software that runs ip TV for many large providers. We have that and really like it. They have a games' console with Kinect which is appealing for the input method. Sony has movie and TV content, very nice PS3 and so on ... These seem to be better positioned to evolve into the living room.

I owned 2 Cubes, an ATV1, a NeXT Cube (I really consider Apple NeXT and not the to way around ) all of which were not market successes though I really like them to this day.

We just got a great TV from LG which has essentially made my media players
unnecessary ( except for the ATV2). It runs Plex which I very much like and accesses all the premium content we need. I can't imagine why I would run out and get an iTV, and I love Apple products.

For very odd reasons I found myself with a Roku 2 XD in an unopened box. I couldn't resist and decided to keep it. Not as polished as the ATV2, but it really is a lot of fun. Plex runs well, there are neat channels, etc .... The ATV2 is really an iDevice peripheral. It makes no sense to have a $2000 TV as an iPhone peripheral.

Anyway, I just do not feel an integrated TV from Apple is a natural evolution to what they have. Could be very wrong of course.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #51 of 133 Old 01-02-2012, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

If apple tv has a la cart channel choice I will ditch DTV go to apple proving tv channels too

They don't control the content and so that can't happen. It is almost impossible to get rid of cable unless you have good OTA reception, and even then. The cable companies control access. Apple, Google, Microsoft have to go through them and the other telecom companies. People cutting the chord are quite rare. Of course many people don't care for TV which is another story. It's all a mess and we are trapped.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #52 of 133 Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Now you are assuming ATV3 = 1080p. Regardless, with a good N connection at 5GHz, streaming 1080p works well if you have a good router. Technology is here, it's just a matter of time for ATV3 to hit the shelves.

The bandwidth issue will disappear*and sure we will see a 1080p atv. I personally don't care whether it is 720p or 1080p. But that's no longer the issue facing the ATV. It is all about content at a reasonable price accessible in a convenient way.

philip
pmcd is offline  
post #53 of 133 Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post


They don't control the content and so that can't happen. It is almost impossible to get rid of cable unless you have good OTA reception, and even then. The cable companies control access. Apple, Google, Microsoft have to go through them and the other telecom companies. People cutting the chord are quite rare. Of course many people don't care for TV which is another story. It's all a mess and we are trapped.

philip

Well when you think Apple, you can think big and industry rumors point to the fact that Apple is looking for a lot more than just bringing a TV to market, but establishing a new type of relationship with broadcast networks that currently only exists with cable/sat providers and bound by law OTA. Don't be surprised if live TV becomes a pay per view option embedded in an Apple television. I agree that I'd have no interest in buying another app loaded streaming TV, especially an overpriced one that would be tied to Apple's mesh. BUT I don't think this is where the Apple television is headed and I would suspect that the true details will remain closely guarded until release. Besides, now there's finally a flat screen in almost every home and the market is saturated. Not even 3dtv ( a huge failure) could pump the life of the pre recession boom into today's big screen market. The usual suspects still don't get the market and now plan on 4X resolution displays without a source medium, all while broadcast can't even serve up effective 1080p.
mayhem13 is offline  
post #54 of 133 Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Member
 
niall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you've got an iPhone or iPad and an ATV2 check out AirVideo Server - you can run that on Windows or Mac and it will transcode most file formats, of the files on your PC/Laptop, which you can then send to the ATV2 via AirPlay.

One of the easiest and most convenient Media Player solutions I have ever used. Also great for watching shows in bed on your iPhone or iPad :-)
niall is offline  
post #55 of 133 Old 01-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Senior Member
 
iboum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an amazing idea!

Rather than having to shout at your TV to make it do anything, often having long and fruitless one way conversations where it appears the TV CAN'T UNDERSTAND EVEN BASIC ENGLISH!!, why not have a small wireless device that fits in your hand and has buttons to control all the key functions? Pressing the button would be unambiguous as to it's intention, it would allow fast navigation, and it wouldn't disturb or be disturbed by other people within earshot.

Call me crazy but controlling computers by voice has been a pipe dream for pretty much my entire life. It is one of those 'advances' that owes more to what is now (allegedly) technically possible and the need for new marketing features rather than making technology more accessible/useful.
iboum is offline  
post #56 of 133 Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum View Post

I have an amazing idea!

Rather than having to shout at your TV to make it do anything, often having long and fruitless one way conversations where it appears the TV CAN'T UNDERSTAND EVEN BASIC ENGLISH!!, why not have a small wireless device that fits in your hand and has buttons to control all the key functions? Pressing the button would be unambiguous as to it's intention, it would allow fast navigation, and it wouldn't disturb or be disturbed by other people within earshot.

Call me crazy but controlling computers by voice has been a pipe dream for pretty much my entire life. It is one of those 'advances' that owes more to what is now (allegedly) technically possible and the need for new marketing features rather than making technology more accessible/useful.

Good point - although w/ Siri so far, Apple seems to have done a better job w/ voice recognition (incl being able to understand some slang, diferences in regional accents, etc) than most anyone else has to date.

But yeah - a remote w/ buttons works just as well.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #57 of 133 Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
bowmah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by niall View Post

If you've got an iPhone or iPad and an ATV2 check out AirVideo Server - you can run that on Windows or Mac and it will transcode most file formats, of the files on your PC/Laptop, which you can then send to the ATV2 via AirPlay.

One of the easiest and most convenient Media Player solutions I have ever used. Also great for watching shows in bed on your iPhone or iPad :-)

The last time I tested various apps to do this over Airplay, there was no DD5.1 support, only 2 channel stereo. That was a few months ago. I understand it's an Apple restriction. Has there been any advances on this lately?
bowmah is offline  
post #58 of 133 Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Osamede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post


The last time I tested various apps to do this over Airplay, there was no DD5.1 support, only 2 channel stereo. That was a few months ago. I understand it's an Apple restriction. Has there been any advances on this lately?

Why would they make any change. Obviously holding that back until they launch their product, at which point they will talk and act as if they invented surround sound. They've hired Thomlinson Holman, so the latter comment is only half in jest....
Osamede is offline  
post #59 of 133 Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Member
 
seti1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still like the first generation AppleTV with CrystalBuntu and a CrystalHD which plays 1080p perfectly with XBMC. Plus with the included built in hard drive, and 1ghz CPU, it can serve double duty as a NAS with AFP installed.

Apple took a step backwards with the Gen 2 ATV and hopefully will make the V3 a more serious media player not just an extension of iTunes for your TV. Not holding my breath though...
seti1 is offline  
post #60 of 133 Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
jvarisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

iOS Apps on ATV2 – would the ATV3 support it?

Article Click here ……

-----------------------------------

Apple May Change TV Forever

Article Click here ……

-----------------------------------

How Apple could shake up TV: A la carte channels

Article Click here ……

--------------------------------------

Apple looks to offer television subscribers customized channel lineups

Article Click here ……





Cheers!

Weird, I don't remember signing up for a "made-up rumors and speculation about AppleTV3" RSS feed.
Do you ever plan on contributing with original thought to the thread or just keep posting useless, annoying links?
jvarisco is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off