Revue - GTV2.0 - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 160 Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Plex is adding a full fledged media center interface to it's Google TV app soon. C'mon Logitech, we need that 3.2 update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Market App has been updated & its now called Google Play Store (v1.2.0) and Google Music App is also updated & its now called Play Music (v.4.1.513).

Tip: Unable to Update from "Market" App to "Google Play Store" - click here

Cheers
post #153 of 160 Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 10
After searching through the forum, I thought I would add my experience to this thread. Hopefully, it will help those that are researching the Revue.

I bought a Logitech Revue back in 2011 when it was on sale at $99. This is my first media player experience. I originally had it hooked up via wireless connection to my 50" Panasonic plasma downstairs. My local media all resides on a PC upstairs.

Playback of local media was extremely spotty. It would play some files and not others. Some would have sound, others would not. Playback would stutter, stop, or cause the player to crash altogether. So, I took steps to improve playback:

Step 1: I bought used Actiontec routers (I am on Verizon Fios) and set them up as MoCA adapters. This made a HUGE difference. On wireless, I was getting 4-5 Mbps speed; now I am getting 20-25 Mbps. I don't have Cat5/6 cabling in my house, but with these MoCA adapters, it cost me approximately $45 to get the same functionality vs. the $300-400 to run wiring.

Step 2: I stopped using Windows Media Center and switched to Plex. I tried Mezzmo (free trial) and TVersity, but Plex blows both of them away. The app on the Google TV was only $0.99. Upstairs on my PC, I now have full metadata so the menu on the Plex app has a great UI. In fairness, I should probably re-try Mezzmo now that I am on a wired connection. But the UI of Plex is still much better than Mezzmo.

Step 3: even with the above steps, I still have files that won't play sound. After researching them, it's due to the audio codec used when they were ripped (DTS). The Revue doesn't handled DTS, so I used Handbrake to convert the audio to AAC. Now, those files play flawlessly.

So, for local media playback, I would now rate the Revue very high (9 of 10). It plays mkv and avi files fine, now that the audio is in a format recognized by the Revue.

The online streaming content is still lacking, but I don't need streaming content as I am still attached to the cable via Fios. I don't subscribe to Netflix or Amazon. I wish it had Hulu or some other streaming content, but it doesn't.

The GTV apps are okay, but all I really use is Chrome for surfing the web occasionally. It's great when I'm watching football and want to pull up my fantasy stats or something. Or if I'm watching a movie and quickly want to IMDB something. Yes, you can do it with your phone, but if you're lazy it's easy to just reach for the Revue keyboard and search away.

One negative is the Chrome app. I am signed in through my Gmail account, but the bookmarks are not sync'd with my Google account. I have tried and tried and can't get them sync'd. So, I am stuck with localized bookmarks.
post #154 of 160 Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

^^^ Great info – thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnester View Post

... I am signed in through my Gmail account, but the bookmarks are not sync'd with my Google account. ...

Try & Remove “Google Account” then re-add it - go to “Settings" > “Account & sync” > “Manage accounts” (make sure “Background data” & “Auto-Sync” are checked).
& see if that would help bookmarks sync.
post #155 of 160 Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like Revue GTV 2.1.1 (Honeycomb 3.2) Update is around the corner.

Cheers
post #156 of 160 Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did anyone receive the udpates yet?? first impressions?
post #157 of 160 Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

^^^
First impressions? Seems faster & smoother.

Revue GTV 2.1.1 (Honeycomb 3.2) Update is already here, try this to Force the update, like I did.

Firmware version 3.2 (built …. - b65871-p) (210MB).

Cheers
post #158 of 160 Old 06-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

Did anyone receive the udpates yet?? first impressions?
Still no update yet. Even tried the "force update" method.
post #159 of 160 Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Revue gets a new update – w/ Google Play movie rental App.
post #160 of 160 Old 11-03-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The only reason this old device got an update was because they added something they thought they could use to monetize the owners even further / continuously.
Call me jaded.....
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page